Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not gonna lie: it crossed my mind. Or having a larger reservoir and using a spare pump to fill from that. But something about giving an automatic device the ability to flood my living room made me shy away... v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I like how the body looks kinda two tone.

Badmunki, you've been watching too much Matthias.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Not gonna lie: it crossed my mind. Or having a larger reservoir and using a spare pump to fill from that. But something about giving an automatic device the ability to flood my living room made me shy away... v:shobon:v

The bucket looks big enough to use a small float valve. I use this one for keeping my hydro reservoir topped up link , don't have to worry about flooding the room.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just having a water source piped to a room and not having a path to a drain means you have to worry. :colbert:

e: Did I mention there's a 3.5 and 1.5 year old involved?

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Just having a water source piped to a room and not having a path to a drain means you have to worry. :colbert:

I would suggest a sprinkler then. Some will get into the bucket, the rest will go towards the slip-n-slide.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Set the tree on fire, let the automated sprinkler system a) put it out, and b) water it.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Bad Munki posted:

You still have it set towards automation, so it seems a bit much to wire in sensors you can't trust though. If anything add an overflow that can drain water somewhere or an extra sensor to serve as a level high high for backup. The high high could back up your level high sensor. Something that works like this:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll just pipe a drain into the middle of the living room! Everyone will probably love that. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Set the tree on fire, let the automated sprinkler system a) put it out, and b) water it.

I like where your heart is at: as a tradition, I stash the tree upright in the woods after the season so it dries with all the needles in place, then come summer I jam it into the fire pit for our first fire of the season. I highly recommend it!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Apparently one of the early european tree traditions was setting a tree up in the middle of town and then burning it the gently caress down at the end of the year while everyone danced around the fire and got hosed up.

I think it needs a revival, personally.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME

We got a tree earlier than we usually do this year, which means we need to keep it alive longer. I'm bad about remembering to water things, so I'm making an automatic indicator that'll remind me. It hangs over the side of the bucket, and has two float switches, one at "full" and one at "empty."

The pipe will protect the switches physically, and provides a little bit of a buffer to keep waves from causing the switches to flicker while filling. Next step is to slap an arduino or pi or something on there to handle monitoring the switches and controlling whatever indicator I use...maybe an LED strip, or poo poo, I dunno, maybe I'll make it tweet. IoT == Internet of Trees???

I admire your ability to not increase the scope of the project, and just complete it.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Probably won't finish this in time for the holidays, but almost done with a fallout themed Super Famicom RetroPie to go with a custom cartridge label I posted a ways back. Stenciling is loving atrocious, but I just don't care. If I ever do another one of these I'm definitely getting custom dry transfers printed rather than freehanding it.

Big help from the electronics megathread, they were great in helping me sort out the circuit board to let me use the on/off switch both as a switch and a momentary contact. The RF Modulator channel select on the back acts as a hard power switch, the on/off acts as a linux halt/cpu reset switch and the reset button sends a keystroke to be used as a game reset in the emulator. I'll post better pictures when I finish it up this week.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I made these candle holders for someone for Christmas and I was very pleased on how they turned out! I wanted a really clean look so I didn't solder them and used epoxy instead.

I also made this paper towel holder for myself. I know it is a bit overboard on the fasteners but I did it for the look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I dig this, but I'm curious how long it'll be before it gets completely patina'd over.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Little bit of lacquer might not be a bad idea.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
That's a good thing! I want it to age naturally and develop a bit of patina. Its not outdoors so it won't be drastic, but it will get there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Isn't the "patina" on copper quite toxic?

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Cakefool posted:

please do not lick the paper towel holder.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Don't be dumb. You are exposed to 100s of times more copper oxide in the drinking water from your copper pipes than I will be from using a paper towel holder, and copper oxides and salts are only toxic in large (measurable) amounts. The main concern with copper in the kitchen is using unlined copper cookware while cooking acidic foods.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

iForge posted:

Don't be dumb. You are exposed to 100s of times more copper oxide in the drinking water from your copper pipes than I will be from using a paper towel holder, and copper oxides and salts are only toxic in large (measurable) amounts. The main concern with copper in the kitchen is using unlined copper cookware while cooking acidic foods.

I wouldn't say I'm being dumb, I was under the impression copper oxides were toxic. After a little searching inorganic copper compounds accumulate (as you mention, primarily from copper plumbing) but aren't deadly touch-and-die stuff. So staining your hands or whatever underneath would be the primary concern.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've done some hand work with copper wire, and what rubs off on your fingers tastes awful. You're probably not going to die from consumption of copper oxide without noticing.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I made an activity board for my nephew for christmas. He has cerebral palsy and his fine motor skill development is behind, so that was my focus here. He can grasp items with his hand, but manipulating objects with just his fingers, as well as more complex / compound movements is where he needs some help.

I'd been wanting to try my hand at making some gears, so I used this as an opportunity since they didn't need to be super precise. It's not fully painted yet, I left the gears white for now since I wasn't sure what might be beneficial to put on them. I'll let my sister and his therapist talk and decide on that. He loves trains so the top gear moves the train back and forth on a track.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's awesome.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

bimmian posted:

I made an activity board for my nephew for christmas.

This is cool, I dig this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I need some help finding a battery pack to enable several projects of mine. See this battery pack on eBay?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262172038210

It is a pack where you supply your own 18650 cells (the lithium ion cells found in many laptop battery packs), and then it has a power input and output.

What I have been scouring the internet to find is something like that, but instead of taking 6 cells, it would take around 100 cells for around a combined kilowatt-hour of juice, use a 120v wall outlet to charge, and have a power inverter with 120v output sockets at well.

This is easy to find in the form of a lead-acid jumpstarter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121834833870

But I want to find a solid 18650 version, so that it is cheaper to source/replace/maintain the pack, and it is much more energy for less volume/weight (a kilowatt-hour would be around 10-15 pounds). The idea is to be able to toss it into my backpack so I can:

- Hook it into my e-bike for hours of travel
- Hook it into my smartphone for infinity battery life
- Hook it into my battery-heated vest for wintertime goonery
- Use it as a "bucket" to charge my electric smart car up in places where I can't reach my car to an outlet (i.e. my apartment)
- Add modular bionic leg augmentations and stun gun extension?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What I have been scouring the internet to find is something like that, but instead of taking 6 cells, it would take around 100 cells for around a combined kilowatt-hour of juice, use a 120v wall outlet to charge, and have a power inverter with 120v output sockets at well.

While a lot of what you are suggesting sounds a bunch like you don't understand physics/power density/power requirements, you are looking for this:

http://www.batteryspace.com/battery-holder-3-cell-18650-cell-unlimited-expandable-battery-holder.aspx

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I understand all that, I just don't know how to work a calculator.

But no, those aren't what I'm looking for, I need a whole enclosure that offers some protection and charge/discharge management circuitry. Like the first eBay link I posted, but massively scaled up.

I mean those would be fine if I was going to weld all the 18650 cells together and build my own enclosure and hook in a BMS, but I ain't got time for that. You'd think someone in China would mass-produce a BYOBattery jumpstart kit on eBay or AliExpress by now...

Edit: Just found this, this would be exactly what I need if input/output wall sockets were built into it and I could buy one with ordinary spring-loaded slots to pop my own 18650s into: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171620220126

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I need a whole enclosure that offers some protection and charge/discharge management circuitry.

http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmforlifepo4batterypacks.aspx

It was linked from the very same page.

An "enclosure" is all you're left with now. Figure out how many batteries you actually need and buy a knockoff pelican case that will fit your brick of batteries and charge circuitry. Drill some holes for appropriate ports and switches.

This is not a difficult project, but there's likely to be a huge gap in usefulness between reality and your expectations. Particularly this "Use it as a "bucket" to charge my electric smart car up in places where I can't reach my car to an outlet (i.e. my apartment)". You don't need a calculator for this one: A Tesla battery pack contains about 8000 (eight thousand) 18650s. 100 of them isn't going to do poo poo for your car.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 28, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Tesla battery pack with 8000 cells is 90 kilowatt-hours. My electric smart car, aka the 2013 Smart ForTwo ED, is way way lighter, so it only uses a 17 kilowatt-hour battery for ~80 miles range. I average 5-10 miles a day, so yeah, if I charged a battery like the one I'm explaining in my apartment and then tossed it into the car each day to top it off, it'd probably work out fine.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of an all-in-one package, it's okay if no one does. I know the DIY approach with the Batteryspace stuff can work, but I don't want to have a janky drilled pelican case with a pack of cells tab-welded together in it if I can find a purpose-built thing like in my links. I love DIY projects, I just want to mitigate the risk of a hundred 18650s detonating on my back, and want to be able to bust out a multimeter to find and replace a single bad cell in the pack without redoing shrinkwrap/solder/etc.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

The Tesla battery pack with 8000 cells is 90 kilowatt-hours. My electric smart car, aka the 2013 Smart ForTwo ED, is way way lighter, so it only uses a 17 kilowatt-hour battery for ~80 miles range. I average 5-10 miles a day, so yeah, if I charged a battery like the one I'm explaining in my apartment and then tossed it into the car each day to top it off, it'd probably work out fine.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of an all-in-one package, it's okay if no one does. I know the DIY approach with the Batteryspace stuff can work, but I don't want to have a janky drilled pelican case with a pack of cells tab-welded together in it if I can find a purpose-built thing like in my links. I love DIY projects, I just want to mitigate the risk of a hundred 18650s detonating on my back, and want to be able to bust out a multimeter to find and replace a single bad cell in the pack without redoing shrinkwrap/solder/etc.

Buy a Powerall and a extension cord, drat.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Zero VGS posted:

Your math is off.

A 17kWh battery will take around 18-19kWh of input power to charge. If that battery has a usable capacity of say, 16kWh (which is being generous, it's probably 12-14), 80 miles means roughly 5 miles per kilowatt hour from the battery.

A 1kWh battery will only impart around 700-800 watt hours of capacity to your actual vehicle battery (if you can even interface it with the vehicle charge port directly, which is very unlikely - so add another 10-15% loss in watt-hours from a DC-AC inverter) which means if you average more than 3 miles a day a 1kWh battery "bucket" will not be enough.

It may have been a good idea to consider your ability to charge an electric vehicle prior to purchasing one.

Further, 26650 cells are going to work better for this type of use than 18650 cells - Tesla only use 18650s because they're not volume-limited on the battery pack & 18650s are cheaper. You will not find an off-the-shelf charge control unit for a pack this large; the biggest board i've seen was 16 cells in series and most boards are meant for 4-8 cells in series.

The power density and useful power output you expect, while possible, is not easily accomplished. The closest off-the-shelf thing would be aluminium-cased ebike batteries which can be well over 500 watt-hours all on their own (i've seen ones as big as 1.2kWh) but output higher DC voltages than a standard 12V electrical system (the biggest units being 48V output) which makes converting their output to something that could charge an EV fairly difficult.

tl;dr this isn't going to work, is a catastrophic waste of money, and you're going to be better off petitioning your landlord for a couple of EV parking spots ("but think of how progressive and green you'll look!") and offering to help pay for one of the charging terminals.

Edit: if you're absolutely obsessed, there ARE high-power DC-DC converters that can turn 48VDC into stupidly high current 12VDC or 24VDC to feed an automotive AC power inverter to charge the car.
This is really dumb and inefficient, but it would work.

Honestly the biggest issue isn't even the battery pack, the big issue is that while the battery in the car is DC the only charging mode that doesn't require some fancy probably-unobtainium electronics to interface with the car is 120VAC wall charging - turning DC into AC is horribly inefficient, especially if it's just going to be turned back into DC inside the device.

2nd edit: A far more realistic and useful way to charge your EV without grid power access is to wander down to your nearest Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap generator like this unit which would do a darn fine job of charging up your tiny derpy EV.

"But charging it from an inefficient HF generator is bad for the environment!" okay well as I said it may have been a good idea to consider your ability to charge an electric vehicle prior to purchasing one. Just keep charging it at whole foods like I'm sure you already do.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
There's an actual EV charging station a few blocks from my house (and yes, there's also the Whole Foods), I just want something to gently caress around with for top-offs. I've had the car for a few years and never had any trouble charging it. Maybe I'll just use it to run a lower-watt space heater inside the car this winter, that would save the car's battery and probably be very effective as long as I got the right fuses to not blow myself up.

I really do want a 1kwh wall outlet in my backpack for all the other reasons I mentioned, as well as some additional experiments like putting a gaming PC in the backpack and mapping a pedometer/compass to WASD so I can jog around in a grassy field with an Oculus Rift playing VR Fallout or whatever.

I'll definitely check out the 26650 if you think it'd be less $ per usable watt hour, but I figured 18650's are still the better value due to economies of scale from laptops. My eBike used to use some cylindrical LiFePo4 cells almost as big as a soda can, I haven't seen any Li-Ion in that cell size though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero VGS posted:

There's an actual EV charging station a few blocks from my house (and yes, there's also the Whole Foods), I just want something to gently caress around with for top-offs. I've had the car for a few years and never had any trouble charging it. Maybe I'll just use it to run a lower-watt space heater inside the car this winter, that would save the car's battery and probably be very effective as long as I got the right fuses to not blow myself up.

I really do want a 1kwh wall outlet in my backpack for all the other reasons I mentioned, as well as some additional experiments like putting a gaming PC in the backpack and mapping a pedometer/compass to WASD so I can jog around in a grassy field with an Oculus Rift playing VR Fallout or whatever.

I'll definitely check out the 26650 if you think it'd be less $ per usable watt hour, but I figured 18650's are still the better value due to economies of scale from laptops. My eBike used to use some cylindrical LiFePo4 cells almost as big as a soda can, I haven't seen any Li-Ion in that cell size though.

This is probably one of the most embarrassingly goony posts I've ever read.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:allears: whatever the gently caress you end up making please post it here before you walk into a ditch wearing your vr gear

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

This is probably one of the most embarrassingly goony posts I've ever read.

Okay okay, after posting and searching there's nothing that exists like I'm looking for. I'll get outta the thread, just figured this was the best place to ask some fellow mad scientists about how to best strap a lot of electrons to myself.

No idea why a DIY thread is so hostile at the mention of having an electric car though.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Zero VGS posted:

Okay okay, after posting and searching there's nothing that exists like I'm looking for. I'll get outta the thread, just figured this was the best place to ask some fellow mad scientists about how to best strap a lot of electrons to myself.

No idea why a DIY thread is so hostile at the mention of having an electric car though.

Well, as long as you know as it's stupid, ebike battery packs http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/48v-20ah-LiFePO4-Battery-5A-Charger-BMS-Ebike-Powerful-Rechargeable-USE-1000W-/141709262759

this unit, for example, is appx. 1kWh, and fairly small. It'll be made of 26650s.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sure the diy thread isn't hostile to the idea of an electric car, just to the idea of diying a man-portable pack with the energy density to "top one up". There's a fundamental misunderstanding of energy densities and conversion efficiencies. If you wanted an easily portable way to charge your car you'll need to build a tiny generator. I recommend something like a high speed miniature rotary for compactness, or look into the square piston concept.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bimmian posted:

I made an activity board for my nephew for christmas. He has cerebral palsy and his fine motor skill development is behind, so that was my focus here. He can grasp items with his hand, but manipulating objects with just his fingers, as well as more complex / compound movements is where he needs some help.

I'd been wanting to try my hand at making some gears, so I used this as an opportunity since they didn't need to be super precise. It's not fully painted yet, I left the gears white for now since I wasn't sure what might be beneficial to put on them. I'll let my sister and his therapist talk and decide on that. He loves trains so the top gear moves the train back and forth on a track.

This is cool and a good thing (™) :)

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I did quite a few projects this year. I put together a little list. Big post, but worth it. I've gotten a lot of useful things from the forums here, and I've seen a lot of amazing projects shared in this thread. My imgur profile has albums with more detailed shots of every item.

Quick links to threads :

Woodworking
Metalwork and Blacksmithing
Leatherwork

I’ve seen a lot of those “Nine best photos of 2015” going around. I have been working in many different mediums, not just photography, so I wanted to showcase that. I think I’ve grown a lot as an artist in general, so here are my 9 favorite projects from 2015. Quite a few of these projects have their own albums here on imgur, so take a look.

I’ve used the laser cutter at a local makerspace for practical cutting before, but this is my first time using it to engrave and decorate. An industrial designer friend and I worked on the design, and I helped him use the laser cutter on a project of his own. I wanted something that looked very different from handmade, as if by elves or magic, but still natural materials.

This was the first project of the year; we went to the laser cutter on January 3rd.

This was a cosplay outfit where my goal was “make every part that I possibly can.” Gondor is my favorite part of LOTR, and I wanted to see if I could make a replica, with no fake materials. The shield is real wood, the cloak is wool, and it looks fantastic. The only thing I didn't make is the bow, the arrows, and the boots. Probably time for a new facebook profile picture.

I sell custom gun-belts on Etsy. Most of the time, it’s for people who want cowboy shooting gear, or a high quality replica from a movie. This, though, was for a Steampunk Cosplayer who gave me carte blanche to do whatever I thought would match her outfit. I focused on bringing out the natural beauty of the leather, instead of colored dyes.

I shoot for some local magazines regularly. Each assignment is fun and challenging in it’s own way, but this one was a doozy. They were doing an article on local cocktails, wanted a big spread, including a cover shot. 6 different restaurants, at least one drink each, in three weeks. And, y’know, the cover. No pressure. I particularly enjoy food and drink photography, but this one was a stretch. I knew all the photos would be in the same article, so I couldn’t just use the same tricks over and over. I also knew that they wanted quality, so I made sure I did three different “setups” of each drink that were completely different, just in case the editor didn’t like my first idea, so it was closer to shooting 20 drinks. By the end of it, I was really reaching and thinking about how to do something different for the last shots.

This was one of the most challenging ones. I got an inquiry on my etsy page to do a replica of Antonio Banderas’ belt from the Zorro movies. I didn’t really want to, so I quoted him an absurd price in the hopes of sending him elsewhere without being rude. Didn’t work, he said yes. This was a tough project; the beadwork was a completely new skill that I’d never attempted. It was also tedious, and I ended up redoing it several times. It took genuine professionalism to get this done on time, because I didn’t enjoy it. However, the end result is beautiful, and the customer was thrilled.

A friend of mine has a two year old, and what kid doesn’t like trucks? They were more challenging than I expected; I see a million things I could do better, but he loved them. Especially when he realized the dump truck part worked. Making these trucks inspired me to keep practicing carpentry, so they were a good choice.

Another gift : Friend’s teenage daughter likes Hunger Games, is starting to do some archery. Could I make a mockingjay quiver? Yes, but I couldn’t bring myself to just copy the logo verbatim. I felt I could do a better drawing that captured the same vibe (fierce, strong bird)

Unfortunately, I’m terrible at drawing. Getting to this point took weeks of drawing practice and studying bird anatomy, many nights looking at photos online. I filled an entire sketchbook! It’s also the complete opposite of the Gondor Armor. This is all done by hand, from the design to the final product.

I help out at a local metal arts school. They asked for volunteers to build scary monsters out of metal. I’ve never done metal sculpture before, but I signed up anyway.

Once I decided on my idea (Large Spider, Scary.) I looked at pictures of real and fictional spiders, and tried to capture that. The legs are forged by hand (by me, wielding a huge two handed sledge, like a boss). I’ve seen so much amazing art come out of this place, and I was shocked and flattered when they loved it. Praise from Caesar indeed.

My girlfriend and I went to a blacksmithing meet early in the year. Their speaker talked about things that sell well at shows, such as leaves, bottle openers, or hooks. I started practicing the hooks as soon as I got back; they incorporate a lot of techniques I wanted to practice, and who knows, they might sell on Etsy.

I practiced a lot, and I can see a vast improvement from when I started. I took the first three, the ones I made right after that trip, and made a Christmas gift for my girlfriend.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 1, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Holy poo poo.

You need to post more in this thread, those are all awesome and I want to see more stuff like that for inspiration when hitting project roadblocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Zero VGS posted:

Yes I'm sure you will have much more encouraging and enthusiastic responses from AI or the Electronics threads than what you have encountered here about your genius plan (which you have not developed whatsoever beyond 'wouldn't it be cool if...') to make a portable battery pack for charging your car.

Just a recap to save you some time re comparison later, this thread has mainly offered a number of "your idea is dumb but if you really must then here are some links" replies.