Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Motherfucker.

The devil finally took Lemmy.

Oh poo poo. Well that sucks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DesperateDan posted:

Married with 2 kids, drive an A4, if I had the cash I would also have something small and impractical and fun, but my only other options right now is a beat up old 4x4 for work purposes (I want a hilux) or inheriting my father in laws old civic (looking to do both next year). With 2 kids a saloon like the A4 is just about the right mix of storage with not being too big.

On this note, what 2 seat RWD cars are good for people over 6"4'?

it's none of them, isn't it :(

Depending on your proportions, maybe a 911. Technically a 4 seat unless you get a gt3, but the seats are useless.
I think I've heard the audi r8, but no experence. AWD, but who cares?
Yes, these are expensive options.

Cheapish? Datsun 240z (s30). loving cavernious inside.
I did "ok" with a 350z but kinda snug.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Do tell more. My wife got me the 10 inch HD tablet and the stock OS is a little lacking.

Drinking some Booker's bourbon tonight with family. More expensive than what I'd buy myself, and stronger than what I go for (it's cask strength).

Doesn't look like there's root available for that device yet. Supposing I have the right device, check this again later:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

2:15am and I'm lying on the sofa because I've a cough that won't let me sleep and I keep waking my wife up. Sucks. :(:

I mean I chose to come down here rather than keep waking her.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Finally got our first taste of the poo poo to come for the next couple of months. Been snowing heavily since about 9AM, and when I left work 3&1/2 hours ago at 5, I had to shield my face because freezing rain replaced snow, and that poo poo hurts. Still going strong out there, and the shits just collecting everywhere, plows probably won't even bother for a few more hours.

And all I can think about is how I wish I had a set of snows for my E30 so I could pull it out and go hoon :(

Also, I'm getting ready to retire my poo poo-house F150. I've been looking at 2005-2009 4-Runners, but apparently everyone wants $15,000 for their ten year old SUV with 200,000 miles on it. :wtc:

I found one with low miles and good shape for 10k and was waiting for my credit union to get back to me so I could jump on it, because it had been out on a lot for at least 20 days or so. Fuckers took forever to get back to me and it was gone when they finally did.

So recommend me a nice SUV or truck that can be had for 10-12K with around 100k or less on it I guess?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iwentdoodie posted:

Motherfucker.

The devil finally took Lemmy.

Sounds like he got an aggressive cancer, and that was it. I think you can still get Marc Maron's interview with him for free at the moment.

I'm sure he went out kicking

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

T-Square posted:

Also, I'm getting ready to retire my poo poo-house F150. I've been looking at 2005-2009 4-Runners, but apparently everyone wants $15,000 for their ten year old SUV with 200,000 miles on it. :wtc:

I found one with low miles and good shape for 10k and was waiting for my credit union to get back to me so I could jump on it, because it had been out on a lot for at least 20 days or so. Fuckers took forever to get back to me and it was gone when they finally did.

So recommend me a nice SUV or truck that can be had for 10-12K with around 100k or less on it I guess?

Honda Pilot?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

blk posted:

Those of you with kids and significant others: do you both drive family haulers, or do some of you have one practical car and one with a reduced/no back seat?

My wife had the Astro van, I had an RX-7, so there ya go.
14 years later, and I have a Crown Vic, and she has a Kia Spectra5, but the Crown Vic is recent. Between that and the RX-7 was another RX-7, and a 2-door Cherokee. We switched to the Spectra5 once my daughter didn't need a full-on car seat any more, basically.

The Locator posted:

I have a much older Onkyo, probably about 8 years old (model wise) and I have it connected to my TV via a single HDMI and every single input I have connected passed through no problem. I've had it connected via component, optical and basic cable and RCA inputs as well as all of the HDMI at some point in the past without any problem.

Note that I do not use the TV for audio at all, so I can't guarantee that every hook-up combination I've used passes audio properly, since the entire point of having it (the A/V receiver) is so that I can use my surround/good speakers and multiple subs while watching stuff.

Thanks, that's perfect for my usage - the receiver will handle all the sound in my setup as well.

Galler posted:

Also need to see if I can modify my big server UPS to use motorcycle batteries or something. The batteries in it are about shot and it would be nice to have like 4 hours of runtime and not pay the apc tax.

Pull the batteries and look at their model number - I bet that they can be had generically. The two APC SmartUPS that I have that need new batteries use a standard battery that can be had from just about anywhere. Even Batteries+ is cheaper than APC (and they should have an application on their website to look up what batteries your UPS uses, come to think of it.)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mariooncrack posted:

Doesn't look like there's root available for that device yet. Supposing I have the right device, check this again later:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

I think that's right. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone in the office who hasn't seen The Force Awakens has been ordered by the boss to get out and see it immediately.

Like literally, they were sent to the cinema for the 9:30am screening. So we can talk spoilers in the office. And now there is a nerf gun war breaking out while I'm pulling apart the server room

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You Am I posted:

Sounds like he got an aggressive cancer, and that was it. I think you can still get Marc Maron's interview with him for free at the moment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone in the office who hasn't seen The Force Awakens has been ordered by the boss to get out and see it immediately.

Like literally, they were sent to the cinema for the 9:30am screening. So we can talk spoilers in the office. And now there is a nerf gun war breaking out while I'm pulling apart the server room

If I ever go crazy and move to Straya, I know where I want to work :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I ever go crazy and move to Straya, I know where I want to work :v:

I thought I was pretty well versed in most of the horrors that inhabit Straya. Then I found out about the gympie gympie.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Pull the batteries and look at their model number - I bet that they can be had generically. The two APC SmartUPS that I have that need new batteries use a standard battery that can be had from just about anywhere. Even Batteries+ is cheaper than APC (and they should have an application on their website to look up what batteries your UPS uses, come to think of it.)

You can also just type the UPS model # into Amazon, along with "battery", and you'll find a ton of replacements.

I paid :20bux: for a battery for mine last year. IIRC the original battery was 7.2aH, this one is 8, so there's a slight increase in runtime. Physically it's just a hair larger, but fits inside fine.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Jesus, even the plants are trying to kill you:

"The sting causes an extremely painful stinging sensation that can last for days, weeks, or months, and the injured area becomes covered with small, red spots joining together to form a red, swollen mass. The sting is potent enough to kill humans, dogs, and horses,"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The PNW has Giant Hogweed though so fair play.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

I thought I was pretty well versed in most of the horrors that inhabit Straya. Then I found out about the gympie gympie.

Yeah, but I'm coming from Arizona, where there's plenty of things that want to kill you (some of which may in fact be people) already.

As much as my wife would love the diving, I'm sure she wouldn't take the option of having to give up all of the pets to do so.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, but I'm coming from Arizona, where there's plenty of things that want to kill you (some of which may in fact be people) already.

Have you been to Texas? Every thing is trying to kill each other, including the weather.

Glad STR is doing good, but holy gently caress, way to get all 4 seasons in 24 hours.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This seems appropriate.

I didn't even realize until today that we had some damage (limited to landscaping and fencing from what I can see). A shrub got snapped in the front yard, and the sign that the alarm monitoring company stuck in the yard is twisted pretty good. :stare: Part of our fence in the back yard is leaning, but gently caress if I want to dig up the posts and deal with that poo poo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 29, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

some texas redneck posted:

This seems appropriate.

You stole our weather, you can keep it though

blk posted:

I'm contemplating selling my Miata and getting a Boxster or Cayman - I'm comfy in it but don't pass the broomstick test, even with a mild foamectomy.

Cayman probably isn't an option with all the kid expenses, though.

S2000

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T-Square posted:

Trailblazer? Early 00s Yukon/Tahoe?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Trailblazer? Early 00s Yukon/Tahoe?

You can get a Trollblazer for 5 grand

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

blk posted:

You can get a Trollblazer for 5 grand

And total it if someone breaks your headlights

:v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

For those that are interested, my Automation challenge is now live in Let's Play. Come build fake cars with me/us!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

And total it if someone breaks your headlights

:v:

They're the best part :(

Actually, the only good part.

I always wondered how hard it would be to fab brushed metal trim pieces to replace all the gnarly burled wood inside. The turqoise color and layout of the gauge cluster is also pretty lovely (and un-Saaby).

Christ, what a loving cynical car. gently caress GM.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want to wait until I find a not-poo poo camera, but imagine this layout but waaay shittier and runny and drippy and overspray-y.

And the panel with the dragon lives on the other side, still don't know what I want to do with it. So, imagine this for the other side:

The orange/pink/red is bondo. So much goddamned bondo in this bus :smith:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Wasn't there a golf released with a similar paint scheme to that at some point?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
loving hell. Drink whiskey and turn it up till the neighbors call the cops.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes, the harlequin golf. Based off of the 1967 (I believe; 14 inch will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong) VW Beetle ad showing that panels (up until that point anyway lololsuper) were all interchangeable.

Then the beetle's got backronymed (backronystic? there's a word I'm thinking of that means what I'm trying to say) into the paint scheme by owners. There is one VR6 powered harlequin bus, and another sportwagen poptop westy bus painted by owners in harlequin schemes, but none of them adhere to the rule of "no color shall touch itself" and "all colors shall have even numbers of panels colored". Both of the other two I've been able to find have mismatched panels (both doors different colors, etc) and none follow the scheme laid out by VW, which is:

Of course the Germans would have a spreadsheet scheme.

Mine kind of follows the "yellow base" scheme, except for the fact that the bus doesn't really have a front "grille," so I made the front air intake yellow. Different from my picture posted, the rear bumper is green and the front bumper is red, so no color touches itself, and all four colors have the same number of placements on the bus (three).

Blue: nose, middle side panel, rear engine hatch
Red: Front bumper, doglegs, rear side panel
Yellow: front grille carrier, "stripe" between door and side panel (trying to stay with the "rocker panel" idea the golf had)
Green: Rear bumper, doors, front grille plastic (hey, I was running out of panels)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 29, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Has the game improved any? Or is it still just a case of finding the One True Spec?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

How can one kill a god?

With loving cancer, apparently :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7-sbiGlzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFV2BjWnLCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkqKOFavXE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzv3DWWVg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_Q2VAUZj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOwKtAtnpUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWsjLRfeHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBdapYgFaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQH-UAefq_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9y103DsYWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxVGisEODU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLk0jtUenY

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 29, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't most of these get repainted into solid colors by the dealers just to get them off the lot?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
RIP Lemmy.
Sudden trauma incompatible with life is the best way to go, but something like a cancer that does you over in a few weeks while you're sedated isn't bad.
trying to live a long time is just the worst, like flakeloaf said in the healthcare thread:

flakeloaf posted:

It took a special kind to work in the "special care unit", as it was called in our old folks' home. Being the night receptionist gave me basically no reason to ever go there except as a way to dodge people I'd rather not be talking to; I'd say it smelled more like a just-opened box of adult diapers and that apple-oatmeal smell that permeates day cares. They'd shuffle through the hallways, sleep in each other's beds, or take up a chair next to one of the exits and poke endlessly at the number pad hoping to make the door push itself open of its own accord. Occasionally one would punch another in the head for no reason, leaving both of them on the floor wondering what the hell just happened. Eventually they would become ill enough to be installed in a geri-chair and shipped back up to the third floor, where their withered carcass could be wheeled from sunroom to bedroom every day like some kind of window display for a store that sold half-inflated leather sex dolls to whatever occupied the great beyond. The nurses and HCAs would pace respectfully around them, wiping this and primping that and hoping that maybe today would be the day that one of them was lucky enough to got sold.

Put two bullets behind each ear, please. 577 T-Rexes, if you got 'em.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't most of these get repainted into solid colors by the dealers just to get them off the lot?

No, but I can see why you'd think that. Most dealers got one (or two!) harlequin cars tops, most got none. IIRC there was a dealer in Georgia that got more than 30 of them, and most of them he resold by making them back into solid-color cars, as the Navy Blue and Pistachio Green they had was a Europe-only option and he had some minor popularity by offering those unique colors from the jigsaw'ed cars.

Fo3 posted:

RIP Lemmy.
Sudden trauma incompatible with life is the best way to go, but something like a cancer that does you over in a few weeks while you're sedated isn't bad.
trying to live a long time is just the worst, like flakeloaf said in the healthcare thread:

Dying lovely of old age is often the worst way to go, but you don't know if that's what will happen to you until you get there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

QuarkMartial posted:

I think that's right. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

I checked out youtube and found a dude called 'root junky' as he'd put together a tool for ease of use. Worked fantastically well!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

No, but I can see why you'd think that. Most dealers got one (or two!) harlequin cars tops, most got none. IIRC there was a dealer in Georgia that got more than 30 of them, and most of them he resold by making them back into solid-color cars, as the Navy Blue and Pistachio Green they had was a Europe-only option and he had some minor popularity by offering those unique colors from the jigsaw'ed cars.

I remembered reading something about a dealer or multiple dealers who had done that, hence the question mark.

Good to know it was likely only one dealer, and that they didn't actually paint them. :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Dying lovely of old age is often the worst way to go, but you don't know if that's what will happen to you until you get there.

In the near future we're all going to be posting from old people homes making GBS threads our pants arguing about the mid engine Corvette vs. the front engine and posting RIP threads each time one of us kicks the bucket :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

In the near future we're all going to be posting from old people homes making GBS threads our pants arguing about the mid engine Corvette vs. the front engine and posting RIP threads each time one of us kicks the bucket :v:

Thanks to lunch, I'm pretty much already making GBS threads my pants. THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Oh hell yeah! Maybe I can come up with something a little more competitive this time around... Haha yeah right, I think I'm gonna try to create a fury road entry :mediocre:

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

Just saw that, listening through the catalog now :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPYX0Ypv8DU

• Locked thread