Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

the_paradigm_shift posted:

So is Trump running with the hope that if he focuses on Clinton now people will just assume he's the winner of the primary?

Trump is hoping that Trump Vs The Clintons will be the #1 news story of January, taking all the attention off the other candidates and owning the media cycles leading into Iowa and New Hampshire.

This also fires up the Republican base and will make the Talk-Radio guys cream in their jeans. Maybe they're playing this card a bit too early, but Trump is a master manipulator of the media, so I'll trust he knows what he's doing and will increase the rhetoric against the Clinton's as the month progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Huckabee is disgusting on every level, probably the worst of the bunch. loving weirdo.

I think he lives in Florida most of the time now so just throw him on the stack of "Florida Man" shitbird candidates

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

fade5 posted:

Trump saying that Obama's gonna do an executive order to get around the second amendment.

Now he's spewing NRA talking points and this is the first time I really want to mute him.

The other day, I set up a Chrome extension to change a few annoying words/phrases (or words/phrases from people that annoy me), and one of them was "2nd Amendment -> Three Fifths Clause". I read your post and was :stare: until I remembered it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Montasque posted:

Trump is hoping that Trump Vs The Clintons will be the #1 news story of January, taking all the attention off the other candidates and owning the media cycles leading into Iowa and New Hampshire.

This also fires up the Republican base and will make the Talk-Radio guys cream in their jeans. Maybe they're playing this card a bit too early, but Trump is a master manipulator of the media, so I'll trust he knows what he's doing and will increase the rhetoric against the Clinton's as the month progresses.

Yeah, pretty much everything here. It's actually a pretty bold strategy since he's leaning even further into his narrative of invincibility, as though by acting like the Primary's already won he can sort of make it true in the minds of the public. No idea if it'll survive a loss in Iowa, most politicians would do something to manage expectations there, but Trump hasn't gotten as far as he has by playing it safe.

Not to mention it makes him harder to attack and starves the other candidates for air-time, since if they attack Trump "unprovoked" while he's laying into the Democrats they'll earn the ire of the base and conservative media, but if they wait for an opening and Trump's ignoring them they'll never get back on the air. It's the same sort of thinking that'll probably lead Trump to ignore or dismiss Jeb!'s call for 1v1 debates.

One thing I'm curious about is Trump's rallies - we talk a lot about how Trump has a middling ground game, lack of volunteers, not enough organization and so on, but he seems to be putting on big and successful rallies, surely that takes a lot of organization and coordination? It should help a lot for raising up grassroots, letting his supporters see each other and cement their decision, not to mention providing a pool to recruit from if he was trying to raise volunteers.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The other day, I set up a Chrome extension to change a few annoying words/phrases (or words/phrases from people that annoy me), and one of them was "2nd Amendment -> Three Fifths Clause". I read your post and was :stare: until I remembered it.

Good for you, gune!

I always read articles describing 'muslims' as actually saying 'blacks' or 'jews' - it gives a very.....disturbing viewpoint on things.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

Katrina Pierson: Hillary Clinton helped a child rapist get off and laughed about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrW_ZMcEoc

What Pierson is referencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMeelKc5F8

Full foxnews segment:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4678157739001/donald-trump-versus-bill-clinton/#sp=show-clips

You'd think they would have held off this stuff until January... But it seems they're just getting started.

I can see this story getting legs depending on how they whoop it up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dolash posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything here. It's actually a pretty bold strategy since he's leaning even further into his narrative of invincibility, as though by acting like the Primary's already won he can sort of make it true in the minds of the public. No idea if it'll survive a loss in Iowa, most politicians would do something to manage expectations there, but Trump hasn't gotten as far as he has by playing it safe.

Not to mention it makes him harder to attack and starves the other candidates for air-time, since if they attack Trump "unprovoked" while he's laying into the Democrats they'll earn the ire of the base and conservative media, but if they wait for an opening and Trump's ignoring them they'll never get back on the air. It's the same sort of thinking that'll probably lead Trump to ignore or dismiss Jeb!'s call for 1v1 debates.

One thing I'm curious about is Trump's rallies - we talk a lot about how Trump has a middling ground game, lack of volunteers, not enough organization and so on, but he seems to be putting on big and successful rallies, surely that takes a lot of organization and coordination? It should help a lot for raising up grassroots, letting his supporters see each other and cement their decision, not to mention providing a pool to recruit from if he was trying to raise volunteers.

if he wins NH and SC i think he can lose iowa and be fine, especially if his poll numbers in the other states stay up. and of course he's not going to take jeb up on the 1v1 debate, :laffo:

So is Trump running with the hope that if he focuses on Clinton now people will just assume he's the winner of the primary?

he's already the winner of the primary, he has massive leads in NH and SC and his super tuesday poll numbers are the highest they've ever been and are rising. rubio's already peaked, and cruz looks iffy outside of iowa because he's an unlikeable turd of a human being. if trump hits 40% general poll numbers he might actually win. this is a dark time to be alive

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 29, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

The fact that they had to build this without "cooperation" from the Christie campaign is really obvious. It's choppy as hell.

Possibly Christie's campaign is unable to attract top talent. I wonder why that could be?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Montasque posted:

It seems like by putting this stuff out now though, it'll be a lot less effective in the general because the Clinton campaign will already have responded.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Carrasco posted:

It seems like by putting this stuff out now though, it'll be a lot less effective in the general because the Clinton campaign will already have responded.

That's not the point. The point is to shut out the other primary candidates. Nobody gives a poo poo about the general this early, anything said now will be forgotten in a few months at most

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Montasque posted:

Katrina Pierson: Hillary Clinton helped a child rapist get off and laughed about it.

Full foxnews segment:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4678157739001/donald-trump-versus-bill-clinton/#sp=show-clips

You'd think they would have held off this stuff until January... But it seems they're just getting started.

She's incredible. Just fantastic.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Montasque posted:

Full foxnews segment:

I hope Trump brings back the macarena too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

icantfindaname posted:

That's not the point. The point is to shut out the other primary candidates. Nobody gives a poo poo about the general this early, anything said now will be forgotten in a few months at most

Right, like an etch-a-sketch.

Even if the general population forgets, the Clinton campaign will have had a chance to test out responses to this line of attack and find out which ones are most effective.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wow trump is pretty good at disguising how loving fat he is

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

that katrina pierson lady looks like shes loving nuts

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
When Trump poll numbers hit 50%, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

When Trump poll numbers hit 1488%, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

if he wins NH and SC i think he can lose iowa and be fine, especially if his poll numbers in the other states stay up. and of course he's not going to take jeb up on the 1v1 debate, :laffo:

he's already the winner of the primary, he has massive leads in NH and SC and his super tuesday poll numbers are the highest they've ever been and are rising. rubio's already peaked, and cruz looks iffy outside of iowa because he's an unlikeable turn of a human being. if trump hits 40% general poll numbers he might actually win. this is a dark time to be alive

I love this graph

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Jewel Repetition posted:

When Trump poll numbers hit 50%, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Joementum eat the crow

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

It is homophobic to deny Trump is the most handsome candidate of the last century. The Kenyan doesn't count, he's betrayed this land and made it so bad, and so weak.

Man has a wattle, he's almost as ugly on the outside as he is on the inside.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Joementum eat the crow

lmao

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I love this graph

I like how it looks like Trump's numbers only got close enough to Carson's to devour their heart and gain their power.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Joementum eat the crow

As a person who checks in on this thread every few days at best, can someone link me to the post where Joementum declares himself as the ultimate infallible god of political predictions? Because from what I've seen he just posts gossipy DC poo poo once or twice per page, and for each of his posts there's three people like "Trump is up x points, Joementum must be making GBS threads his pants what a stupid rear end in a top hat".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carrasco posted:

My God, maybe they really are collaborating. They're working America into a shoot!

It's not wholly unprecedented... Obama acted like they were worried about PA to trick McCain into wasting money there in '08. But my God, if this is Bill Clinton's revenge on the Republican Party, is he America's greatest hero or greatest villain?

Kings Of Calabria posted:

As a person who checks in on this thread every few days at best, can someone link me to the post where Joementum declares himself as the ultimate infallible god of political predictions? Because from what I've seen he just posts gossipy DC poo poo once or twice per page, and for each of his posts there's three people like "Trump is up x points, Joementum must be making GBS threads his pants what a stupid rear end in a top hat".
A lot of goons are stupid marks who like a bellicose slumlord as much as any other stupid mark.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
You're going to have to wait until July for the possibility of Joementum eating crow, since all he said is that Trump won't win the nomination, not that he wouldn't poll well or even take some early states.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

etalian posted:

also bowtie instead of nice regular tie.

bowties are shameful

A hot take on men's neckwear from a guy who's never worn a tuxedo in his life

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

etalian posted:

i'm laughing my rear end off at how Priebus and company are completely unable to control the Trump golem.

It's their own fault. Shouldn't have all got drunk one night and think it'd be funny to write 'Anarchy' on that shem.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Joementum has been one of the more reliable (that is, he doesn't devolve into arguing with fishmech) and knowledgeable posters in the past, and people don't like that he has continually downplayed Trump's chances. e.g.

Joementum posted:

Trump's "surge" will be different because there's no need for media scrutiny. Unlike Rick Santorum, everyone in America already knows who Donald Trump is and has a pretty good idea of his political agenda (brown people, he's against 'em!). He'll be more like Ron Paul: a fringe candidate with a ceiling of support somewhere around 10% who draws a cult following and gets more exposure than he deserves because of it. The frontrunners would be wise to form the same secret non-aggression pact with him that Romney did with the Pauls.

Also if I recall correctly he used to be a D&D mod, so some of the "he thinks he's so smart HUH" stuff may be a hold over from that.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How many people are endorsing Jeb? Isn't he the favorite?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ohgodwhat posted:

How many people are endorsing Jeb? Isn't he the favorite?

that cat satan av poster really likes him

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jewel Repetition posted:

You're going to have to wait until July for the possibility of Joementum eating crow, since all he said is that Trump won't win the nomination, not that he wouldn't poll well or even take some early states.

A lot of people are going to eat crow if he wins a single primary. The current belief is that his support has no political experience, won't turn out, and he will lose steam after losing Iowa. I think this has some merit, but do acknowledge that it's just the latest in an ever escalating series of excuses to explain away Trump, especially looking at it in context of this thread's previous statements about Trump over the past 6 months, all of which have been completely wrong.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Erebus posted:

Joementum has been one of the more reliable (that is, he doesn't devolve into arguing with fishmech) and knowledgeable posters in the past, and people don't like that he has continually downplayed Trump's chances. e.g.

Also if I recall correctly he used to be a D&D mod, so some of the "he thinks he's so smart HUH" stuff may be a hold over from that.

The young males are keeping a keen eye for when to make their move against the battle-scarred silverback.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mike12345 posted:

that cat satan av poster really likes him

All we know is that he's excited for him, not that he likes Jeb!

For all we know it could be some kind of curse

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
People wanna get swept up in Trumpmania so they like to troll wet blankets who said he won't win the nomination. Unfortunately for Nate Silver he's bad at dealing with Trump trolls.

Also this Clinton stuff Trump is going with is pretty tame

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
If Trump does terribly in Iowa, what is a reasonable scenario for how New Hampshire plays out in a establishment-friendly way? Trump loses 10 points to Rubio? It's not like Cruz is likely to do well in NH.

Even in the best case for the GOP establishment, it will be a three-way race between Cruz, Trump, and Rubio, with Bush limping behind. Given that Cruz is weird and slimy, Rubio can't be bothered campaigning (and has undisclosed skeletons), and Jeb is... Jeb, what damage can Iowa and NH do to Trump in a long-term way? Does the GOP just hope that a third- or fourth-place showing in Iowa humiliates him/his supporters enough that he drops down to like 15% nationally and loses big on Super Tuesday?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
If Rubio finishes ahead of Trump in Iowa, he's going to get a massive bump in NH.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum is Dave Weigel irl

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a cop posted:

She's incredible. Just fantastic.

For those that don't know she's a well known Crazy Person who basically was given a plum spot on the Trump bus because she's from Dallas and promised to bring him the scared white 'burbs vote from Texas cities. Trump has been pushing HUGE (yuge) for Texas, he wants not just to win a major red stronghold, but also to basically shame Cruz by winning his state from under him. The plan is going decently to poorly depending who you ask, but Katrina isn't the only Texas nutcase he's hired, but she's certainly the one he's put in the biggest spotlight.

Other highlights of her run as Trump's Gal Friday:

-Responding to 'we can't just put an entire culture of people on a watch list, that's super racist' with 'they're Muslims who cares'

-Being so incredibly stupid even Don Lemon frequently clowns on her

-Racing to any camera that will record her dumb face shouting just whatever random thought comes into her head

She's a great asset, is what I'm saying, and a fantastic gauge for who Trump will surround himself with.

• Locked thread