Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

One America News says that some of the big cable providers like Comcast refuse to air their network, despite airing Al Jazeera, a network with proven Muslim Brotherhood ties. They say OAN is very cheap to produce so there's no economical reason for them not to air it.

Cost to produce is almost irrelevant to cost to distribute. There are actual infrastructure costs and opportunity costs to distributing a channel over cable beyond paying OAN to carry it. I think the bigger question is why Comcast would carry OAN when it's already got Fox News Channel and Fox Business Channel. Like how many people are going to subscribe to Comcast because it's got OAN who otherwise wouldn't? Most of the time that basic cable packages include things like Blackbelt TV or the History Channel, it because either (a) they offer content that a small-medium group of viewers would legit buy cable for or (b) they're bundled in with other more desirable channels (Disney uses ESPN as a cudgel for this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

One America News says that some of the big cable providers like Comcast refuse to air their network, despite airing Al Jazeera, a network with proven Muslim Brotherhood ties. They say OAN is very cheap to produce so there's no economical reason for them not to air it.
One America News looks exactly like what would happen if my racist uncle won the lottery and redecorated his apartment. For that reason alone I completely ignore the channel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't get One America News on Time Warner but I do get the American Heroes Channel :patriot:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is that the "Affluenza" dipshit who violated his parole by fleeing the country?

If so, :toot:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yup that's him. You'd think after getting away with vehicular manslaughter and drunk driving he'd be counting his blessings and trying to run under the radar but I guess affluenza is real and he is incapable of stopping himself..

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sounds like his mom is a lovely enabler, too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hopefully she goes to prison too! :holy:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Radish posted:

Yup that's him. You'd think after getting away with vehicular manslaughter and drunk driving he'd be counting his blessings and trying to run under the radar but I guess affluenza is real and he is incapable of stopping himself..

His mom was arrested with him so I guess the apple didn't fall very far from the tree. I can't even begin to imagine the level of bad upbringing that spawned this chain of events, or maybe I can and I just don't want to.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

You'd think that with all that money, they could afford to hire Tom Delay's mugshot photographer, and get a John Edwards $500 haircut.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Affluenza leads to looking like a Mexican drug cartel lord, apparently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Sounds like his mom is a lovely enabler, too.

That is literally what the "afluenza " defense was. The condition of his probation was to go to some boarding school or something. Except since his parents are still lovely enablers he said that he didn't like it so they fled the country.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

That is literally what the "afluenza " defense was. The condition of his probation was to go to some boarding school or something. Except since his parents are still lovely enablers he said that he didn't like it so they fled the country.

Wasn't he breaking his probation at the school too by going to parties where alcohol was being served or something prior to this attempt to flee the country?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

Wasn't he breaking his probation at the school too by going to parties where alcohol was being served or something prior to this attempt to flee the country?
He fled the country at the same time a report came out that someone had him on video drinking at a party, which would have violated his probation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Allegedly yes. And potentially they also violated Mexicos immigration laws.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I sympathize with the judge - forcing him away from his parents and making his parents pay for it seems win win. The juvenile system is supposed to be rehabilitative instead of punitive like the adult system.

Guess he gets to be in juvenile until 21 now. Maybe he can be resentenced as an adult?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

You'd think that with all that money, they could afford to hire Tom Delay's mugshot photographer, and get a John Edwards $500 haircut.

I sort of figured that looking lovely was the idea - if I'm hiding from a BOLO for a pampered rich douche, I'm gonna stop shaving and combing my hair ASAP.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

I don't get One America News on Time Warner but I do get the American Heroes Channel :patriot:

AHC is just where the Hitler channel dumped all their Hitler material so they can run more reruns of Ice Road UFO Swamp Truck Pawn Rebels of the Bible.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shot:

quote:

11/07/2015

Ohio prosecutor Timothy McGinty accused the family of 12-year-old police shooting victim Tamir Rice of being “economically motivated” in their pursuit to bring the officer responsible to trial.

“They waited until they didn’t like the reports they received. They’re very interesting people… let me just leave it at that… and they have their own economic motives,” McGinty said during a community meeting Thursday, Cleveland’s WKYC reported.

McGinty’s remarks Thursday were his first public comments on the grand jury process regarding Rice’s death, raising questions about his objectivity in the case and its ongoing investigation.

Chaser:

quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The aftermath of the killing of Tamir Rice by Cleveland police has been at the top of the news for most of 2015, with a steady pulse of stories about the investigation, protests and demands for justice by Tamir's family.

A lot of you have relied on cleveland.com for the updates, and we've added a good bit of perspective as well with opinion and enterprise to help advance the conversation about the controversial story.

This would seem, then, to be an ideal subject for us to meet one of our chief goals at cleveland.com, hosting community conversations on topics of widespread interest.

So why, a lot of you have asked, have we chosen to turn off all comments on stories about Tamir Rice?

The simple answer is that we don't fancy our website as a place of hate, and the Tamir Rice story has been a magnet for haters.

We tried to maintain the conversation. The Tamir Rice case offers lessons for Greater Cleveland, and hashing out those lessons in an online community forum could be a healthy exercise. A lot of people firmly believe the police broke the law when they shot Tamir, but others feel just as strongly that the shooting was justified. Passions are strong, and because our comments section could provide a place for venting, we allowed comments on Tamir stories for months. We enlisted a small army on our staff to monitor the comments and delete any that violated our standards.

The trouble was that we couldn't keep up. Just about every piece we published about Tamir immediately became a cesspool of hateful, inflammatory or hostile comments. Rather than discuss the facts of the case, many commenters debased the conversation with racist invective. Or they made absurd statements about the clothing and appearance of people involved in the story. Or they attacked each other for having contrasting viewpoints. In many cases, well over half of the comments on Tamir stories broke our rules and had to be deleted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

joeburz posted:

While part 3 would definitely help, it's total impact is likely rather limited since we see in areas where there are larger minority police populations the overall culture of police departments still exists to perpetuate systemic bias. Doubly so if you buy the argument that newer members of the police force are limited in their ability to change the culture due to retaliation, etc.

Part 1 and 2 are likely to be impossibly difficult by simple claims of "budget concerns", external for 1 and internal for 2, although the impetus to improve in either regard doesn't exist much at all from within which is is a massive barrier. I'm interested to know your opinion or thoughts on how external forces would produce changes in those areas, knowing your opinions on protesting by the BLM.

Here's an interesting bit about Part 3

quote:

But just like with bodycams, the effectiveness of a more diverse, representative police force comes with some pretty big qualifiers. A big one, Keesee told me, is that black officers need to be in senior positions to actually influence the way departments go about their jobs. ("If you're a patrol officer on the street — and we all start in patrol — you don't have any say on any policies or how they're enforced," Keesee said. "If your command staff says that your priorities are this, then you do this.")

And as Keesee said, any officer who moved up the ranks would have had to do so by acculturating to the ethos of his or her department. Put another way: Black cops are still cops, and in communities where black folks and the police have a tense relationship, the race of the officer in a testy encounter isn't likely to matter much.

I've read up on the amount of pressure to conform exists in police precients, causing minority or women police officer be some of the most vehement defenders of the status quo to protect their bonifides. It's going to take a sea change in culture, pressure, and bureacratic will to change the toxicity that exits in a lot of station houses. But I don't see how we can't do anything else, considering this factoid.

quote:

"But if you consider these numbers simply as a tally of arrest-related deaths by themselves, it happens frequently enough that any such case might make a headline every single day. A measure compiled by Colorlines and the Chicago Reporter in 2007 found that nearly 9,500 people across the country were shot by the police between 1980 and 2005 — 'an average of nearly one fatal shooting per day.' "

One possible avenue of this is a federal law passed due to a black unarmed shooting in the 90s, and having the Justice Dept shaking down individual police departments.

quote:

The investigation of the Ferguson police department is one outcome of a federal law, passed in the wake of a notorious incident of police violence: the 1991 case of Rodney King, a black man who was beaten by Los Angeles police after being stopped for speeding. Three years later, Congress passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which included a provision that gave the Justice Department unprecedented power to investigate law enforcement agencies for systemic problems — such as use of excessive force, or racial profiling — and force them to implement reforms.

The law is the only tool that exists to compel widespread change within a police department. The Justice Department can threaten to sue a department for constitutional violations, forcing it to enter into a negotiated settlement, such as a consent decree.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-the-doj-reforms-a-police-department-like-ferguson/

Of course, the efficacy of this depends on the cooperation of the actual city or municipality targetted, which in turn depends on the power and mobilization of people pissed off about this poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought it would be hard to top the Ferguson prosecutor in sheer scuminess but McGinty is really a monster in human skin.

Also LOL at "raising questions" about the objectivity of a guy that used pro-police experts in his grand jury. It's sad that everyone that's paying attention knows what's going on but we have to be polite and assume everyone is acting in good faith or the justice system loses its magical ability to make legitimate verdicts.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 29, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

To put it in a proper light: they're not just talking about recent articles. They've closed the comments section for almost every article about Tamir Rice. Whether it was about the trial, the family, or any of the protests going all the way back to when the story broke.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the first one is enraging. the dude should be fired. but the second on sadly doesn't surprise me, sites have been eliminating their comment sections for a while now, especially on anything controversial. its dumb. yeah they tend to be shitswills alot but it is a place for discussions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone came up with a plan to end Islam! They stringed raw bacon between the door handles of a mosque in Las Vegas.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/police-seek-man-who-wrapped-bacon-on-mosque-door

A cursory Google says the mainstream Muslim solution to "I touched pork, what do I do?" is "wash your hands and you're clean again" fyi, just like anyone else who touches raw bacon.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This is unreal

quote:

McGinty’s office responded in an amended statement, claiming his initial comments were not meant to criticize Samaria Rice’s grieving process. “We have never once criticized Tamir’s mother or questioned her right to grieve in any way. We have met with her repeatedly and cooperated with her in every possible manner. And we will continue to do so.”

gently caress everything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

News site comment sections have never been valuable for discussion. They are just a way for the site to drive up engagement, at the cost of hosting and policing toxic bullshit on their domains.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

A cursory Google says the mainstream Muslim solution to "I touched pork, what do I do?" is "wash your hands and you're clean again" fyi, just like anyone else who touches raw bacon.

Did you actually need to google that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Did you actually need to google that?

:thejoke:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"No but you see if they touch anything pig or pig related they are forever condemned to hell so I'm really showing them up, you've gotta know the enemy ya know"

*firebombs Sikh temple*

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

gently caress this guy. gently caress him so hard. He'd be getting off too easy if he got gunned down by the police in a drive by.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fknlo posted:

gently caress this guy. gently caress him so hard. He'd be getting off too easy if he got gunned down by the police in a drive by.
He knows better than to be black in a park though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

McDowell posted:

Why are states refusing to standardize their IDs? Do they not care about security and voter fraud?

National database, number of the beast...etc.

Unchecked right wing religious insanity is the root of a lot of awful poo poo in the US, like homeopathy being given the time of day instead of labeled as the fraud it is.

Why do people flee to Mexico, do they think Mexico doesn't work with the US to find and send back fugitives who don't get themselves killed first?

FlamingLiberal posted:

He fled the country at the same time a report came out that someone had him on video drinking at a party, which would have violated his probation.

Pretty sure he fled because of it. Like as soon as it went on social media they started packing and heading for the border so that when the police arrived they'd be long gone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Think Progress needs to get rid of its comment section, jesus wept. All websites. I'm done reading what the common wingnut thinks throughout the internet, because with them winning every local office, they are the loving government. There is almost no opposition to them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My dad still doesn't think the cops did anything wrong. He called him a "thug playing thug games in the park" and said that the police always assume it's a real gun and were justified in lighting him up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad still doesn't think the cops did anything wrong. He called him a "thug playing thug games in the park" and said that the police always assume it's a real gun and were justified in lighting him up.

Did you have toy guns as a kid? Ask him how he would have felt if you'd been gunned down in your yard because you were pointing them at cars or neighbors.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Boon posted:

No, that's not how open carry works.

Yeah, it works more like this, when the cops have had their coffee that morning/aren't feeling quite as shooty because there's a camera man present :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW_zBvJlsA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fknlo posted:

Did you have toy guns as a kid? Ask him how he would have felt if you'd been gunned down in your yard because you were pointing them at cars or neighbors.

Did that already. "That's totally different, he took the orange tip off and was pointing them at people in a loving park. Someone called it in as an active shooter, what the gently caress were they supposed to do, let him shoot people?"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fknlo posted:

Why bother, dude hates black people and is just looking for a veneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fknlo posted:

the dad will just say that he taught you right and not to do that and say that if tamir had had a good father he wouldn't be dead. trust me i know, it doesnt matter what the facts are

• Locked thread