Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Xtanstic posted:

Wait what? Thargoid poo poo is actually gonna happen and isn't just a dumb meme?

Where you been man? Yes it will happen, Frontier had been teasing ingame things about it since launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Xtanstic posted:

Wait what? Thargoid poo poo is actually gonna happen and isn't just a dumb meme?

It's already happening it's just got an extremely long lead-in.

e: the unknown artifacts, the mysterious entire station fuckups, various bits of political stuff that's in powerplay so nobody pays any real attention to it etc.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

The Thargoids have been in the Elite games before. Right now it's a little like if there was a new Mario game with no Goombas.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xtanstic posted:

They're building up to it slowly. One of the community goals right now is searching for wreckage of some space cruiseliner that vanished mysteriously during a hyperjump like 50 years ago. Getting interdicted from inside hyperspace is pretty much the Thargoid M.O., so I think they're trying to kick off some kind of "Oh poo poo Thargoids" arc via the CGs this year.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

There is a CG going on to find the last president's missing spaceship which was probably abducted by Thargoids. Except the CG is set waaaaay too high and it isn't even at tier 1 yet because of how much cargo it demands. There is still over a week left though.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

I'm not a player of the original games but I do believe that the Thargoids were public enemy #1 for their duration.

It would be fitting to have them introduced into our current iteration of the game as well, especially considering the above mentioned Lore about the Alliance ship manufacturer working in conjuction with more amicable Thargoid factions to produce human/thargoid hybrid ships.

Frontier is going to have a hell of time balancing those out against the existing crop of ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

David Braben has been promising it for years, and we have those weird mysterious happenings for a while. You know, stuff like the unknown artefacts being clearly alien in nature and more and more stations having breakdowns due to "something".

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd like to now if that thargoid stuff they teased in the horizons launch trailer is actually real.

"Commander, we've found something on the very outer rim of the galaxy. You need to see this." "Well, spit it out! What have you found?" "Two canisters of gold"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Check out the description for Meta-Alloys in the commodity panel. Some super dense, strong materiel found in deep space that exhibits a cellular structure. Okay yeah I'll just hand that over for the sweet 98k/ton and ask no more questions.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Where you been man? Yes it will happen, Frontier had been teasing ingame things about it since launch

I've only been playing for a month and flavor text plot shenanigans have bored me so far :shrug:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Isn't one of the planet type descriptions "ideal for non carbon based life" or something that strongly implies other life is around

HiroProtagonist posted:

I will be around tonight to bring new tadpoles into HazReses for fun and profit. Send me a friend request in-game (name is Hiro_Protagonist) or ping me on IRC if you see me on.

I have been hanging around Xihe, and if you run with me you might get a chance to see PvP. I regularly hunt down any pubbies spotted for fun and profit as Xihe is a fairly high traffic system. :getin:

I am going to ram you into an asteroid

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some gas giants have stuff like methane-based life forms.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Some gas giants have stuff like methane-based life forms.

Earth-likes and lots of other planets also have life forms on them. The interesting thing is Ammonia-planets. Because see, the Thargoids come from worlds with Ammonia-atmospheres.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Mike the TV posted:

So the Data Scanner is just straight up broken for me. I set a key for it, turned on fire to deploy hardpoints (which I hate), have it set for secondary fire in the fire group panel, and try to use it in turret mode.

Nothing.

Fun.

You need to have "Firing Deploys Weapons Hardpoints" enabled. I had the same problem, and even read the solution during beta, but forgot about it until yesterday because I am special.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groggy nard posted:

You need to have "Firing Deploys Weapons Hardpoints" enabled. I had the same problem, and even read the solution during beta, but forgot about it until yesterday because I am special.

He said he did that already.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm not a player of the original games but I do believe that the Thargoids were public enemy #1 for their duration.

It would be fitting to have them introduced into our current iteration of the game as well, especially considering the above mentioned Lore about the Alliance ship manufacturer working in conjuction with more amicable Thargoid factions to produce human/thargoid hybrid ships.

Frontier is going to have a hell of time balancing those out against the existing crop of ships.

To get everyone up to speed, (and this is from memory so it might be a bit off) basically the thargoids kicked our arses up one side and slapped them down the other for ages then a secret organization of all 3 major factions cooperating, called INRA, made an anti-thargoid virus which hosed them up and they said "tell you what you leave us alone and we'll leave you alone".

There was some small contact information trading going on with the alliance and possibly the (now) previous emperor, though. What happened between Elite 3 and 4 however, no idea.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Romes128 posted:

I'll be on tonight trying to make money on xihe. Plz don't pvp me.

I don't know what time though. I'll be in the DF irc when I log in.

I check inara and/or ask in mumble/irc if I'm not sure before I engage anyone. Unless they attack me first.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I am going to ram you into an asteroid

:cmon:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...ohol%20Syndrome

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stanko-Prussian posted:

To get everyone up to speed, (and this is from memory so it might be a bit off) basically the thargoids kicked our arses up one side and slapped them down the other for ages then a secret organization of all 3 major factions cooperating, called INRA, made an anti-thargoid virus which hosed them up and they said "tell you what you leave us alone and we'll leave you alone".

There was some small contact information trading going on with the alliance and possibly the (now) previous emperor, though. What happened between Elite 3 and 4 however, no idea.

Are we in Elite 4?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Are we in Elite 4?

Yeah, E:D is elite 4, sorry. Elite 4.1 now i guess?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Okay..

So is the search for the missing starliner a legit thing or just some lore to get players speculating?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

Okay..

So is the search for the missing starliner a legit thing or just some lore to get players speculating?

They seem to have overestimated how many people were going to participate in this major plot CG.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Space Skeleton posted:

There is a CG going on to find the last president's missing spaceship which was probably abducted by Thargoids. Except the CG is set waaaaay too high and it isn't even at tier 1 yet because of how much cargo it demands. There is still over a week left though.
You just know that the players loving it off because the pay is poo poo are the same ones whining on the brown sea about how the game needs an immersive story. :v:

Edit:

LCL-Dead posted:

Okay..

Yeah, I think the space-president got space-exploded and that's why Robert Space-Patrick is in charge of the Federation now.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Okay..

That actually happened in E:D, a few months ago, that and the old emperor getting one in the dome were the start of powerplay, federation president who is not popular with the space republican warhawk not-president at all sets off on a tour of the rim colonies in spaceship one, spaceship one mysteriously explodes, space republican warhawk sweeps to power on a platform of revenge. 90% sure that's not thargoids unless it's a very behind the scenes destabilization thing, which it could be.

e: i misread utterly, i have no idea about this one.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

They seem to have overestimated how many people were going to participate in this major plot CG.

I've only started paying attention to CGs recently and boy do them seem to really suck at estimating CG participation rates

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

I think I'm going to go contribute to this for the potential payout tonight.

Or shoot poo poo in Xihe since it's got a week+ left.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

It's not that bad if you use limpet drones to collect the wreckage. Just be aware after a couple dozen tons your illegal wreckages will slowly start to spawn NPC-dumbasses trying to steal your "valuable" cargo. In the end, I had to destroy a Sidewinder, a FAS, a Viper IV and a Python while slowly collecting the junk. Looks like the spawns of psychotic thieves are totally random.

I roleplayed my way through all of the systems on the list yesterday (minus three I arbitrarily deemed "to obvious") and ended up with 128 tons of wreckage. Was enough to catapult me into the top 15% at once.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xtanstic posted:

I've only started paying attention to CGs recently and boy do them seem to really suck at estimating CG participation rates

They need to make them worth doing

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

LCL-Dead posted:

I'll be in Xihe tonight for sure, since apparently Hiro will be HazRes'ing tonight.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is Cobra a good ship for shooting things? I don't do combat at all really in Elite, but i'm looking at a "mostly harmless" 700k credits mission for killing 25 ships or something somewhere and i could use those credits.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dongattack posted:

Is Cobra a good ship for shooting things? I don't do combat at all really in Elite, but i'm looking at a "mostly harmless" 700k credits mission for killing 25 ships or something somewhere and i could use those credits.

It's fine. Medium lasers and small multicannons will pretty much kill anything Cobra-sized or smaller, as well as freighters up to and including the Type 9.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dongattack posted:

Yes, but you'll have more fun in a Viper. At least I did. The cobra is a great jack of all trades ship while the Viper is a fighter, and you can feel the difference when you fly them.

The viper is also cheaper but if you already have the Cobra I guess that isn't a big advantage. Also 25 ships will take a while to kill.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

deadly_pudding posted:

It's fine. Medium lasers and small multicannons will pretty much kill anything Cobra-sized or smaller, as well as freighters up to and including the Type 9.

Lasers on shield and cannons on hull i'm guessing?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dongattack posted:

Lasers on shield and cannons on hull i'm guessing?

Yes, although you should have the power to keep the lasers going against the hull as well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hm, well that didn't work. Upgraded my poo poo with better shield gen, better weapons and jumped into a strong signal source with two hostile ships that melted my Cobra in less than 10 seconds. Back to smuggling i guess D:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Depending on what your mission was, your best bet is probably to go to a Nav Beacon. There you can wait for targets you can take on and you'll usually have help from NPCs for taking down wanted people. The site you went to might have been an ambush with two really decked out ships.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'll try again once i can afford to lose my ship again, rigging for combat tapped out my bankaccount almost.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I bought the FDL and I love it. I'm working my way to GREEN SHIELDS, but I was wondering what pro load outs I could try, besides the obvious huge plasma accelerator and four multicannons.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Newish player question : why the gently caress is an NPC FDL following me? It doesn't attack me or anything, but the same NPC in an FDL has been showing up shortly after I arrive in about 10% of systems, no matter where I go.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mike the TV posted:

I bought the FDL and I love it. I'm working my way to GREEN SHIELDS, but I was wondering what pro load outs I could try, besides the obvious huge plasma accelerator and four multicannons.

Folks in Mumble have been jacking it to four C2 railguns and whatever else in the C4 slot.

K8.0 posted:

Newish player question : why the gently caress is an NPC FDL following me? It doesn't attack me or anything, but the same NPC in an FDL has been showing up shortly after I arrive in about 10% of systems, no matter where I go.

It wants to touch scoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Folks in Mumble have been jacking it to four C2 railguns and whatever else in the C4 slot.

C3 frag cannon. Live The Dream.

• Locked thread