Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'm pretty sure I'm getting Xidas soonish. Anyone interested in a set of FCM coil overs with 600/375 springs? They have about 20 track weekends and 3 seasons of autocross on them. Maybe 1-2k street miles. I asked Shaikh to valve them for an autocross car. They worked really well with a big front bar and no rear bar for autocross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Lol you guys are daft. blk even quoted the whole loving post :v:

If Phone actually posted something like that i would slap him through PM's.

Only because I'm using the iOS app and lazy.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

FatCow posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm getting Xidas soonish. Anyone interested in a set of FCM coil overs with 600/375 springs? They have about 20 track weekends and 3 seasons of autocross on them. Maybe 1-2k street miles. I asked Shaikh to valve them for an autocross car. They worked really well with a big front bar and no rear bar for autocross.

My girlfriend would probably be interest. Just got her a 92 car for autocross.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nodoze posted:

I got mine through a credit union and it was as low as they could go on it. I was also about the loosest definition of "adult with a credit history" since I was 23 (I did have great credit though)

How old was it though when you got the loan? It's not the car itself that would be a problem, it's the age of the car (getting a loan for a 2006 MY car in 2016) that would make financing difficult.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I had no trouble getting a low interest loan on an 03 M3 last year.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Maksimus54 posted:

I think he's just mnet posting you guys... Didn't Phone already buy an ND?

lol god drat it. totally missed that Phone posted that

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sadi posted:

I had no trouble getting a low interest loan on an 03 M3 last year.

drat. I had a lot of trouble finding financing for a 996 last year and just gave up. I'll have to look more next year when another car purchase is authorized.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

GutBomb posted:

How old was it though when you got the loan? It's not the car itself that would be a problem, it's the age of the car (getting a loan for a 2006 MY car in 2016) that would make financing difficult.

2002 so 8 years

e: actually longer than 8 years. That would imply I got it in 2010 which I did not.. I got it in March of 2013

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 29, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

P much.

You doing a full season of autox next year?

Planning on it. Whens the first event? I got my FM springs but still haven't installed them, but that's really all I need to do other than get new tires.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Talking to a buddy of mine who's a fleet dealer. Apparently a lot of the 2016s are still being boated over. He and I talked about doing a factory order, since I'm not in a huge rush to get a new car. Hopefully this means I can use the Club as a base and get them to add some of the electronic stuff and seats from the GT. If not, at least I know I'll get the color I want :v:

FWIW the Canadian GT has all the Club goodies including the LSD

https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/cars/brochures/2016-Mazda-MX-5-Brochure-EN.pdf?sessionid=80949a7b-a513-4791-b47d-fd4da8f64e70

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sending over. I'll send it his way to see if he can make this happen.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Sadi posted:

My girlfriend would probably be interest. Just got her a 92 car for autocross.

No plat so I can't PM you. Here is the driver's front and a picture of the still installed passenger front. As far as I know none of them are leaking at all and are still all working. I'll be checking them as they come off the car.

Here are pictures of them. Looking to get $800 w/o the tophats or $900 w/ NB tophats. I believe the fronts are the same NA vs NB, the rears are different. I'd imagine a pair of rears is less than $100 off Mazdaspeed. I'm just passing along what Emilio charges for the NB tophats on the Xidas.

http://imgur.com/a/j3o0Y

I do prefer to sell them locally, so if I can get asking price from THSCC I may sell them there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GEMorris posted:

This right here is the only acceptable time

Of course that's my view, everybody seriously needs to take a "you do you" approach to reading the opinions people post on the internet.

Also lol if anyone thinks a post from Phone with more than 200 words in it is anything other than mnet lols

You do you, but you crazy. Top down windows up and you can drive in the rain without getting wet, provided you stay above about 50mph.

Also, sometimes it's chilly out. Or the girlfriend is in the passenger seat and doesn't want her hair blown to poo poo. Or I'd like to cut enough of the wind noise to hear the radio (not all of us get fancy headrest speakers :argh:).

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005

It's surprising how different the specs between countries are. In Australia the GT is different again and the LSD is standard on all manual models, but the GT misses out on Bilsteins/i-Stop/Active Sense/Brembo (completely, these are not even an option).

https://www.mazda.com.au/assets/cars/allnewmx5/mazda-mx5-brochure/mx-5-digital-brochure.pdf

And there are some interesting accessories that Japan gets that I haven't seen in any other markets. The little net for the storage between the seats I'd like for my ND, at the moment its just a big plastic box that things slide around in.

http://www.mazda.co.jp/cars/roadster/accessories/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

leica posted:

How is it a hot button issue? I'm pretty sure that anyone that has owned a Miata has done it before.

I just got back from doing this. I had the heater on too. It was very nice. That's my opinion thanks for reading.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The new year resolution thread title got me thinking, has anyone seen a Miata with historical/antique plates? I thought about getting them but I didn't think it would look right.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

The new year resolution thread title got me thinking, has anyone seen a Miata with historical/antique plates? I thought about getting them but I didn't think it would look right.

Looks fine to me. Not at all biased or anything :v:

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_PoDBYEBZ4/

I like em, mostly cause I'm exempt from inspection.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Probably going to look at a '97 this weekend. The options on it are weird, though...

The guy selling the car says it has power windows, cruise, no headrest speakers, no power antenna.

Called Mazda with the VIN, they say it has the popular equipment package (which means power steering, power windows, power mirrors, cruise, headrest speakers, rear subframe brace, and Torsen.) Mazda also did say explicitly that it has a Torsen and that's really the thing that I care about.

I don't know how to reconcile the two things before seeing it, but it just seems kind of odd. I know a nearly 20 year old car could have had any number of things happen to it since it was built, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

Eh, off topic but #whatevs. Got a used car loan for a 2006 Silverado with 140k miles today at 1.49% for 36 months.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Probably going to look at a '97 this weekend. The options on it are weird, though...

The guy selling the car says it has power windows, cruise, no headrest speakers, no power antenna.

Called Mazda with the VIN, they say it has the popular equipment package (which means power steering, power windows, power mirrors, cruise, headrest speakers, rear subframe brace, and Torsen.) Mazda also did say explicitly that it has a Torsen and that's really the thing that I care about.

I don't know how to reconcile the two things before seeing it, but it just seems kind of odd. I know a nearly 20 year old car could have had any number of things happen to it since it was built, though.

For what it's worth, it took me forever to realize that I had headrest speakers. Check to see if the seats are original?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The cloth seats look like they don't have any kind of grill perforation for speakers, right? All of them have a zipper up top and they'll either have speakers or they won't inside with no other external change?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

mariooncrack posted:

I got the 60's style black / yellow reissue plates here in California and I like 'em (silver / tan NB). I mostly see 'em on murdered-out cars around here, though.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Tonight I learned that the lowest comfortable temperature for driving with the top down at interstate speed (50-70mph) is somewhere between 36F and 32F. I bet if I'd decided on a GT with heated seats I could have gone until it hit 28...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Jackets and gloves are an invention. Wuss.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FatCow posted:

No plat so I can't PM you. Here is the driver's front and a picture of the still installed passenger front. As far as I know none of them are leaking at all and are still all working. I'll be checking them as they come off the car.

Just FYI, but you've got the icon next to your name saying that you're a Platinum User; did you not realize you have plat? :psyduck:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

For what it's worth, the headrest speakers (like the windblocker speakers in my NB) are pretty useless, unless there's some good aftermarket replacement. (I recall there being at least one company that made them but I never purchased them and have no idea how much of an improvement they made.) I could totally see one of the POs removing them on that car; I had fiddled with the levels on my NA and you either couldn't hear anything come out of the headrest, or if you cranked it up loud enough to hear it sounded like poo poo. Just focus on having a good head unit and door speakers, and then get a subwoofer and amp if necessary. I actually had one of these in my NA, velcro'd to the carpeting behind the driver's seat: amazon.com/gp/product/B000OSZA44
I removed it from the NA and it's still sitting around in my basement somewhere. I wonder if I can find a way to set it up to the stock "Bose" :rolleyes: system in my MSM.

Also, because I hate listening to broadcast radio so much and wasn't about to buy a power retractable antenna just to keep it retracted permanently, I had unscrewed the antenna and replaced it with a bolt covered by a cap. :3: I probably can find some old photos of that, and I may have removed the bolt to keep as a memento when I stripped the car. :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Just FYI, but you've got the icon next to your name saying that you're a Platinum User; did you not realize you have plat? :psyduck:

The guy he wanted to PM doesn't have it, though :pseudo:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The cloth seats look like they don't have any kind of grill perforation for speakers, right? All of them have a zipper up top and they'll either have speakers or they won't inside with no other external change?

No grill perforation of anything. I don't think there's a zipper on the top of mine but I have a 90. Like the other user said, they're kind of worthless. I only noticed that I had them because I rested my head on the headrest at a red light one day.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Atomizer posted:

drat, I've never actually seen a Miata stripped down like that. :stare: If you happen to get a chance, could you take some shots of the "interior"? :shobon:

Sorry for the late update here are pics of the interior:

In other news, I'm having a hard time getting the timing cog off my red Miata for a timing belt / water pump job :(

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Your woodruff key seems really far out. Hopefully it wasn't wiggling. It should just pop off but you can use a puller if it's really stuck. Think Flyin Miata has some special tool too.

Edit: is it a short nose? Is that how they look?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

No grill perforation of anything. I don't think there's a zipper on the top of mine but I have a 90. Like the other user said, they're kind of worthless. I only noticed that I had them because I rested my head on the headrest at a red light one day.

I don't care about the headrest speakers in and of themselves, only as an indicator whether the car actually has a Torsen or not.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Found Diff, drive shaft, and axles from a 1999 to put on our 1993. It took 2 solid minutes of air hammering to drive that CV axle out of the hub. Then another solid minute of air hammer to drive the bearing race off the hub. Any guide that suggest a slide hammer or a mallet can be ignored.

In short. gently caress Hubs. Forever.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guy he wanted to PM doesn't have it, though :pseudo:

:downs: Ohhhhhhh.... Now it all makes sense! :owned:

urakawa posted:

Sorry for the late update here are pics of the interior:

Thanks for posting the photos; I find this stuff really interesting! While as I said I've never seen a Miata stripped down that much, I find it amazing how it's very obviously identifiable as a Miata interior (e.g. you can clearly see things like the cutout for the hand brake, etc.) I loving love Miatas.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I don't care about the headrest speakers in and of themselves, only as an indicator whether the car actually has a Torsen or not.

In that case I would completely disregard the headrest speakers as being an indicator of anything. Are there any markings/stampings/whatever on the outside of the diffs that you could use to distinguish them?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nope.

You have to tear into one to see what the mechanism is.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of seats, I still sit too high in my NA even after a mild foamectomy and I should probably try to be safer. Any recommended aftermarket seats?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sparco sprint Vs are what I had and I hated them. I mounted them directly to the floor and the seat bottom is basically just a stretched piece of fabric so I was sitting on the floor pan, and they're very upright. Other people seem to like them and they're cheap, but they aren't comfortable and made me like driving the car much less.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Woke up to head to work this morning and discovered my NC had about half an inch of water on the floor :smith:

Oh, and little green speckles of mold everywhere. drat that poo poo is prolific.

Edit: Any tips figuring out how the water is getting it? Grab a garden hose and a flashlight? Guess I need to deal with the mold somehow too.

poxin fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 1, 2016

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

poxin posted:

Woke up to head to work this morning and discovered my NC had about half an inch of water on the floor :smith:

Oh, and little green speckles of mold everywhere. drat that poo poo is prolific.

Edit: Any tips figuring out how the water is getting it? Grab a garden hose and a flashlight? Guess I need to deal with the mold somehow too.

When was the last time you cleaned the drain holes that run behind the seats? Start airing everything out to dry it and get a demolder from a hardware store to treat all the cloth surfaces.

Distilled white vinegar and water can handle small dots of mold here and there.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I clean the two that I know of that are behind the seats and visible when the top is half-down. I use a little flexible brush and pull it through under the car.

I may have noticed a drop or two of water before around the glovebox area or somewhere around the speaker in the door, not entirely sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ask Ryno, he was dealing with the same issue with his NC, I forget what was causing it.