Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a Samsung LED TV, and Apple TV gen4 and a 20 year old analog amplifier. How do I get sound from the Apple TV to be piped to the amp instead of the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

bolind posted:

I have a Samsung LED TV, and Apple TV gen4 and a 20 year old analog amplifier. How do I get sound from the Apple TV to be piped to the amp instead of the TV?

The TV probably has an analog audio out, if so connect that to the amp and turn the TV's internal speakers off.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, cool, that was my best guess too.

Any way of doing it with the TV off?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something like this should work

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

OK, cool, that was my best guess too.

Any way of doing it with the TV off?

My tv has a picture off function for this purpose, maybe that would help?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tab8715 posted:

I'm under the impression that the Macbook Air is due for a Retina upgrade and given how integrated the display is to the processing components a whole physical overhaul is required.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Where exactly would this hypothetical retina Air exist in the lineup? Assuming you take the same basic package and update it, you end up with a computer that has more ports than New MacBook, and presumably a larger display (and maybe even more powerful guts), but it won't be quite as thin/light. On the other end, it's juuust shy of rMBP dimensions, but without the power.

Right now, the Air is priced well below the other notebooks and serves as a solid entry point for buyers looking to spend less than $1k. Do you keep the price the same, or raise it to reflect the increased cost of these new components (not to mention development and manufacturing)? Whichever choice you make, how do you make sure you aren't completely screwing the other two notebook lines, which both currently start at around $1,100-1,200?

Apple isn't about to touch the Air when they've just added a thinner, lighter, retina-equipped computer to the lineup that they arguably sank a ton of R&D into. It's much likelier that 2016 New MacBook gets a $100 price cut and a power bump (and maybe a keyboard redesign/second screen size variant if those rumors hold water).

If Apple follows the trend set by the Polycarb MacBook-->Air/MBP-->rMBP/iMac-->retina iMac transitions, then you can expect the Air to kick around for another few years until the MacBook can drop in cost and rise in performance enough to replace it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The MacBook will be good in a couple of revisions when it's stopped having a huge performance deficit to the other machines, USB-C peripherals are more common, and it has more than one port.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There will be a 15" Macbook that is ultrathin with no bezel like the Dell XPS. It will have two USB C ports.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

There will be a 15" Macbook that is ultrathin with no bezel like the Dell XPS. It will have two USB C ports.

There won't be.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

historical question, I've been watching Halt and Catch Fire and for the '83 Comdex they have a closed door demo of the Macintosh. Did this really happen? I can't find evidence of it.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I want to install windows 7 on my Macbook Air, can I just use a bootable usb to install it or is there some process I have to go through first? All the guides I've seen have used bootcamp to dual boot mac os and windows, but I have no interest in keeping os x on my laptop, I just want to switch to windows.

e: in case anyone sees this in the future, the answer is yes but it's really loving difficult.

IratelyBlank fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 29, 2015

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015
First Post!

Has anyone ever upgraded the graphics card on a MacBook pro? I have 2 MBP retinas (2012 and 2013) and would love to keep them but the graphics cards are holding me back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solfrann posted:

First Post!

Has anyone ever upgraded the graphics card on a MacBook pro? I have 2 MBP retinas (2012 and 2013) and would love to keep them but the graphics cards are holding me back.

Pretty sure *everything* in the rMBP except the SSD is soldered to the logic board.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
And if you're talking about the 13" one, there won't be a dGPU to replace.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just bought my first Apple laptop ever, after reading about how awesome Apple refurbs are: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF839/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Probably could have saved even more had I gone back a year but the refurb store is out of 2013-2014 rMBPs and I didn't want to wait since my current laptop just broke.

After years of admiring my friends macbook pros while hating my Sony I finally joined the club :)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

drat. Them's good people for aggressively refunding moneys when they realized they couldn't make the project work, though.

BobHoward posted:

That pinstriping brings back memories, and they are not good ones

It reminds me of playing Exile II: Crystal Souls on OS 9.

Or, like, that one game where you're a time traveler dinosaur running around collecting eggs or something, you know the one?

Pron on VHS posted:

After years of admiring my friends macbook pros while hating my Sony I finally joined the club :)

First Mac ever, or just first Mac laptop?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Roadie posted:

First Mac ever, or just first Mac laptop?

First mac ever, although my dad had that Mac Newton tablet thing from the 90s and I played with it a bunch as a kid

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Pron on VHS posted:

Just bought my first Apple laptop ever, after reading about how awesome Apple refurbs are: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF839/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Probably could have saved even more had I gone back a year but the refurb store is out of 2013-2014 rMBPs and I didn't want to wait since my current laptop just broke.

Welcome, brother (or sister).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

First mac ever, although my dad had that Mac Newton tablet thing from the 90s and I played with it a bunch as a kid

For a couple of apps and stuff to start off with, take a look at:
  • OpenEmu (super-versatile emulator, works with Xbox and PS controllers)
  • Homebrew if you do any techie/development stuff (it works absurdly better than the other "*nix stuff on OS X" packages like MacPorts or Fink)
  • Bartender (lets you control the system tray icons)
  • f.lux (adjusts screen colors based on time of day)
  • Atom (the best general-purpose text editor on OS X right now)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IratelyBlank posted:

..I have no interest in keeping os x on my laptop, I just want to switch to windows.

Be advised that if you ever need servicing and take it to the Fruit Stand, and you don't retain at least a bootable OS X partition, it will be handed back to you with a hearty laugh and a GTFO. Or more likely a very polite version of GTFO.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, I can't really imagine a reason why you wouldn't keep at least a minimal OSX partition.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Ignore this. Figured it out.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 29, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Raymn posted:

I have a brand new 13" rMBP that I am trying to connect to an external monitor at 1440p. Specifically this guy http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG which is also brand new. However, I cannot get the drat thing to display anything higher than 1080p. I've used an Apple branded mini DP to DVI, 3rd party mini DP to DVI, multiple dual link DVI cables and I tried a different 15" rMBP with the same results. I've read people talking about connecting theirs to older MBPs with no issues but I've also read people having problems getting their MBPs to display higher than 1080p on other monitors. I think I saw a Benq support post where a rep stated that you needed to use a mini DP to DP cable and that adapters won't work but that seems ridiculous given the number of people talking about using the monitor with their MBP and failing to mention that. Any ideas?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm assuming the Mini DP to DVI is dual link but I guess it might not be? Ugh. I'm getting 1200p out of one but I guess I should check on that first.

Buy a mini-displayport to displayport cable and use the displayport input on your monitor. You need a dual dvi adapter if you want to use the DVI port. The dual dvi adapter for macs are $100 so your best bet is to buy the mini-dp to DP cable.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Rabid Snake posted:

Buy a mini-displayport to displayport cable and use the displayport input on your monitor. You need a dual dvi adapter if you want to use the DVI port. The dual dvi adapter for macs are $100 so your best bet is to buy the mini-dp to DP cable.

Too fast for me! Thanks, when doing reading on supported resolutions none of the support docs seemed to mention anything about two different adapters but I could have easily missed that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Honestly I don't see the point of buying a Mac only to run Windows. It's not like a few years ago when every pc laptop was a steaming pile. Might as well get something with better optimization and keys with the right labelling. Plus I hate the Windows drivers for the Mac trackpad and I am like the biggest fan of that thing.

Edit: I see this is something you already own. Still I think you're better off selling it in favor of something else. You'll get worse battery life, etc.

Also as mentioned keep the os x partition around because it'll be easier to use the right tools and shut to repair something if this Windows installation goes tits up.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 30, 2015

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Should I buy a mid-2011 i7 iMac? My last new computer I put together in 2008 and it's well past time I upgraded.

I'd mostly be using it for web surfing, writing, and streaming Netflix and Hulu. But I do game and will want a Windows partition; that said, I'm not worried about running ultra-high resolution super fast AAA games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ibntumart posted:

Should I buy a mid-2011 i7 iMac? My last new computer I put together in 2008 and it's well past time I upgraded.

I'd mostly be using it for web surfing, writing, and streaming Netflix and Hulu. But I do game and will want a Windows partition; that said, I'm not worried about running ultra-high resolution super fast AAA games.

Define "I game." I love macs, but Apple very visibly doens't give two shits about you playing games on them.

I used to dual-boot Windows on my mac, but it got long in the tooth enough that that wasn't really an option. It still works fine for productivity stuff, but I'm keeping it around for web and writing and have already ordered the parts for my shockingly cheap (compared to Apple hardware) gaming desktop.

If you want to play anything that isn't 4 years old or some kind of indie pixel art thing you could probably run on a phone, you'll want more machine than that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Define "I game." I love macs, but Apple very visibly doens't give two shits about you playing games on them.

I used to dual-boot Windows on my mac, but it got long in the tooth enough that that wasn't really an option. It still works fine for productivity stuff, but I'm keeping it around for web and writing and have already ordered the parts for my shockingly cheap (compared to Apple hardware) gaming desktop.

If you want to play anything that isn't 4 years old or some kind of indie pixel art thing you could probably run on a phone, you'll want more machine than that.

If it's got the upgraded GPU, it'll honestly be pretty solid at a lot of games of that era vintage (Skyrim, etc) in Windows.

That said, 2011 misses a lot of good modern tech. If you can swing for/hold out for something with a fusion drive/SSD or even a Retina display I think you'll have a much more 'future-proof' machine that'll be better in your day-to-day.

Just run games in 1080 or 1440p scaled mode and you should get solid performance as well.

Not 'dedicated desktop GPU'-good but very good nonetheless.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Someone local has a 27" Thunderbolt Display in great condition for $550. The size is perfect, 1440p doesn't seem like it'd be too bad, and I'm digging the pseudo-dock functionality. I have a 2015 13" rMBP.

Apparently these have some issues with the Thunderbolt cables going bad though, which makes me nervous. Also, I've been told they are overpriced - is there a better option? Apparently my Macbook can drive a 4k monitor at 60hz, and while having something super sharp seems like it'd be nice, it isn't really needed for me.

Any better options out there for the price, then? Monitor + Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 dock?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Thunderbolt Display is USB 2.0 and FireWire, not USB 3.0.

It's good as an all-in-one display, webcam, 'dock'. For $550 it's a decent option, they are overpriced at RRP though. The cable assembly I believe is a relatively simple replacement if it comes to that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Any better options out there for the price, then? Monitor + Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 dock?

I don't know that anyone else makes Thunderbolt monitors due to the general disinterest, but something like the Dell U2715 is basically the same panel, has a USB 3.0 hub, supports mDP input, and you can add a soundbar for like $20 if you need it. $500 new, but no webcam or Magsafe.

But you are also getting a killer deal on the Thunderbolt Display since list is $999.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Display quality wise, something like the previously mentioned Dell U2715H as well as other, cheaper options are equivalent to the TB display. If you only ever plan on using the TB display as a dock for a Mac laptop, and the default height of the TB display works for you ergonomically, then it's a decent option. But the Dell and others are much more versatile, especially if you ever want to use it with multiple or non-Mac devices (e.g. game consoles, multiple computers, etc).

TB display
Pros
  • Built in mag safe cable
  • Ethernet/firewire dock
  • Built in webcam
  • Apple design aesthetic
Cons
  • USB hub is only 2.0
  • Stand is not height adjustable
  • Needs an adapter to make it VESA mount compatible
  • Only 1 input

Dell U2715H (and others)
Pros
  • Stand is height adjustable
  • VESA mount compatible
  • USB hub is 3.0 and has more ports (5 vs 3)
  • Multiple inputs / input types (2 HDMI, 1 mDP, 1 DP)
Cons
  • no mag safe cable (can just get a dedicated mag safe for your desk)
  • no ethernet/firewire (can get other docks that add these and more if you have a newer mac that doesn't come with these ports built in)
  • no web cam

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you want something more than USB on the display/dock, TB docks are around $150-200, and will provide USB 3.0 if your machine only has 2.0.

Roadie posted:

Or, like, that one game where you're a time traveler dinosaur running around collecting eggs or something, you know the one?
NANOSAUR!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Splinter posted:

Display quality wise, something like the previously mentioned Dell U2715H as well as other, cheaper options are equivalent to the TB display. If you only ever plan on using the TB display as a dock for a Mac laptop, and the default height of the TB display works for you ergonomically, then it's a decent option. But the Dell and others are much more versatile, especially if you ever want to use it with multiple or non-Mac devices (e.g. game consoles, multiple computers, etc).

TB display
Pros
  • Built in mag safe cable
  • Ethernet/firewire dock
  • Built in webcam
  • Apple design aesthetic
Cons
  • USB hub is only 2.0
  • Stand is not height adjustable
  • Needs an adapter to make it VESA mount compatible
  • Only 1 input

Dell U2715H (and others)
Pros
  • Stand is height adjustable
  • VESA mount compatible
  • USB hub is 3.0 and has more ports (5 vs 3)
  • Multiple inputs / input types (2 HDMI, 1 mDP, 1 DP)
Cons
  • no mag safe cable (can just get a dedicated mag safe for your desk)
  • no ethernet/firewire (can get other docks that add these and more if you have a newer mac that doesn't come with these ports built in)
  • no web cam

Yeah, the Dell seems like it'd be great...I just would be annoyed at having to run a second cable to the Mac for the USB ports, but I guess I could always buy the monitor, and then a Thunderbolt hub later.

If I'm going to buy a non-Apple monitor anyways, should I look at a 4k monitor instead? I assume they look much sharper when scaled down to 1080p, or is that not the case and you don't get much benefit without running them at native resolution?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the PC, I mostly play RPGs like Shadowrun or Pillars of Eternity, or strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Civ 5, but honestly, it would be nice to be able to play something like Shadow of Mordor or Fallout 4 on the PC instead of PS4. Not necessarily at the highest graphics or performance settings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ibntumart posted:

On the PC, I mostly play RPGs like Shadowrun or Pillars of Eternity, or strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Civ 5, but honestly, it would be nice to be able to play something like Shadow of Mordor or Fallout 4 on the PC instead of PS4. Not necessarily at the highest graphics or performance settings.

Good loving luck doing shadows of mordor or fallout 4 on a five year old iMac. The others would be fine though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I have the bug big time for an external monitor. I just got done trying a cheap Samsung 28" 4k panel, which was cringe worthy. I wouldn't mind a 27" 1440p display - I'd buy that local Thunderbolt display, but everything being USB 2.0 is kind of lovely and makes me not want it. I really adore the 5k iMac screen when scaled to 1440p, though - is it possible to get anywhere near that crispness and quality using a 4k display scaled to 1440p? Or would I be better off just saving my money and buying a native 1440p panel if I don't intend on running a 4k one at native?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can plug hard drives etc into the 3.0 ports on your machine and then just plug stuff like keyboards/mice into your display.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Will I need a wired keyboard and mouse for when I attempt to use a USB key to install El Capitan, to a brand new, nothing on it HDD, to my Mac Mini (2012)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah, the Dell seems like it'd be great...I just would be annoyed at having to run a second cable to the Mac for the USB ports, but I guess I could always buy the monitor, and then a Thunderbolt hub later.

If I'm going to buy a non-Apple monitor anyways, should I look at a 4k monitor instead? I assume they look much sharper when scaled down to 1080p, or is that not the case and you don't get much benefit without running them at native resolution?

Yeah, only having to run 1 cable for display/USB/ethernet/firewire is a big plus for the TB display that I missed in my list. For me it's not a huge deal, but I can see the appeal. The way I look at it is I already need to run at minimum 2 cables when docking (magsafe and TB), so adding a 3rd doesn't make much difference. I velcro tie all the cables I connect when I dock together, so with some basic cable management there's not really much clutter or hassle added by having to run one more cable.

In terms of other non-Apple monitors to look at, the monitor/display thread a better place to ask for up to date advice. Personally, I care a lot about screen real-estate, so I wouldn't be interested in scaling 4k down to 1080p. I currently have a 27" 1440p IPS, but if I were to buy a new monitor now I'd be looking at the 34" ultra-wides (3440x1440, 21:9) that have been popping up recently.  That's close to the horizontal resolution of 2 1080p monitors (3440 vs 3840) with the vertical resolution of 1440p. Basically a dual monitor setup without the bezel down the middle.