Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Anyone formed any opinions on the Czech tanks yet?

They're all really soft, the 'best' turret of the bunch is on the T-34/100 which is literally just the T-34-85 turret. Yes, this is sad.

The tier5 has really godawful long reload and terrible dpm.

Tier6 is a fun gimmick with a 3-shot autoloader on a fast platform with 10 degrees depression - nearly as fast as a Cromwell, doesn't turn nearly as well.

Tier7 has a 100mm D10T with HEAT premium shells instead of APCR. It has bad armor and bad depression but a tiny bit more dpm than the other tier7 high alpha mediums. It's generic verging on bad. At least the T-34-1 has a good turret. 2.5 aim time is better than the A-44/T-34-1 get on their guns, I guess :effort:

Tier8 is rather large, very soft and lets you pick either a long 88 or a 105mm gun with less pen but 320 alpha. The top turret only has 6 degrees depression tho. It takes ammo rack damage through the turret front.

Tier9/10 have 3/4 shot autoloaders with better handling, in-drum cycle time and reload than previous autoloaders, as well as depression. I hear good things, but you can't suicide rush them into the enemy half to try and clip out one guy, then die, so pubbies may not like them. Unlike tier7/8, these have good depression again.

The autoloaders generally have less turret bloom, less bloom per shot and faster aim time than you would normally associate with autoloaders.

TL;DR: Tier5/7/8 kinda bad, tier6/9/10 kinda good.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Psykmoe posted:

Thanks!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is this game any fun to play without a group

just to get up to where most goons are I'd probably have to play a lot solo, and then there is no guarantee there won't be some completely guild collapse or something just based on the OP & the last few pages of this thread

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Anyone formed any opinions on the Czech tanks yet?

I was prepared to be totally underwhelmed with the T6, but it is actually really good. I might actually keep it.

Psykmoe posted:

I already don't play this game a lot anymore, so hard tank grinding is out of the question. Glad to hear that the T7 and 8 are going to be daily only tanks :smith:.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Let's not forget the fun times we had with LSD Calling.

Guy was Oculus tanking before it was cool. Or existed. :shroom:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eonwe posted:

just to get up to where most goons are I'd probably have to play a lot solo, and then there is no guarantee there won't be some completely guild collapse or something just based on the OP & the last few pages of this thread

Don't play this game, also most goons play lower tiers because people in tier 10 tanks are human garbage.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eonwe posted:

There isn't really an organized goon presence in the game. Most of the good goon players are in competitive non-goon clans.

Having said that, I find the game fun to play solo, but I have an exceptionally high tolerance for how frustratingly horrible most of the players in the game are. It is unquestionably better in a platoon because having even one additional person that you can rely on and work with is far better than not.

I play low tiers pretty often, so PM me your email if you're interested and I'll send you an invite and explain how to get the most starting bonus poo poo.

reL
May 20, 2007
Is there a channel I should hang out in to see if any goons want to platoon? Just started dipping my toes into this game again and I've got no one to play with.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Don't play this game, also most goons play lower tiers because people in tier 10 tanks are human garbage.

I can stomach poor play in lower tiers and middle tiers but then I get a tier10 game and I have to restrain myself from going "Why aren't you learning from experience? WHY? It takes hundreds, thousands of games to get to tier10. WHY DIDN'T YOU LEARN YOU IMBECILE?"

I think pretending bad players are just inexperienced is a coping strategy that gets harder the higher the tier is :smith:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

I can stomach poor play in lower tiers and middle tiers but then I get a tier10 game and I have to restrain myself from going "Why aren't you learning from experience? WHY? It takes hundreds, thousands of games to get to tier10. WHY DIDN'T YOU LEARN YOU IMBECILE?"

I think pretending bad players are just inexperienced is a coping strategy that gets harder the higher the tier is :smith:

You understand once you realize that Wargaming's target demographic is the intellectual equivalent of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AkIfgioA4

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Any US freebie codes right now?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

The majority of people that play WoT or LoL play it solo.

Coincidentally, WoT and LoL's community is mostly composed of retards.

Take that as you will.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eonwe posted:

Play in a group and use that to learn from people who know about the game. Also there's a new line of tanks being released every 2-3 patches, so there's always someone who's starting a new line grind. And even without it most people keep some staple/fun lower tier tanks to dick around in.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Tier 6 in particular is quite popular among people who play for fun, and getting there takes maybe a week of more or less casual play.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 29, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

reL posted:

Is there a channel I should hang out in to see if any goons want to platoon? Just started dipping my toes into this game again and I've got no one to play with.

Check this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

Also, join PANSY.

Eonwe posted:

Yes, it's perfectly fine to play solo, but more satisfying to play socially. There's no competitive goon clan because this game breaks the minds of tryhards like I've never seen before except maybe LoL. The casual goon presence is pretty consistent and varied in skill and ambition, if a bit small.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 29, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bought the wz-111 and type 62 to complete my china tank collection but then I forgot about that stupid loving type 59 Patton I am not buying that.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

mmkay posted:

Any of the Soviet mediums really.

The new German TDs are glass cannons with big guns. The T8 used to be absolutely ridiculous with 400m view range, now it's merely very strong. The T10 has got an autoloader with a 128mm gun which can on average one clip every tank in the game from full health except for the Maus (it used to be able to one clip everything with damage to spare). The line can be boring to play since you need to stay fairly far back otherwise you will be nuked.
Most people hate the A-44, otherwise the line is good.
Only the Charioteer is usable from British TDs, avoid otherwise. FV304 for the arties can be fun, otherwise avoid as well (though the top tier can be hilarious, the grind is miserable at best).
The Japanese mediums are mostly painfully average with no armor at all. Heavies are hilarious brick tanks especially the T5-7, definitely try them out.
No opinion on the Czech line yet, the T5 is ok I guess.

Thanks (and Psykmoe for Czechs), seems like I started on wrong tds with Brits, and holy poo poo tiers 2-4 on Jap heavies are painful. At least they should be over fast and tier 5 indeed looks like okay considering armor.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Bought the wz-111 and type 62 to complete my china tank collection but then I forgot about that stupid loving type 59 Patton I am not buying that.

Time to play a lot of artillery so you can win one instead.

Sayara posted:

Thanks (and Psykmoe for Czechs), seems like I started on wrong tds with Brits, and holy poo poo tiers 2-4 on Jap heavies are painful. At least they should be over fast and tier 5 indeed looks like okay considering armor.

Naw the tier 5 is a giant armorless box but it gets a fantastic 300 damage gun at tier 5, and leads into the tier 6 which is just incredibly well armored and packs a gigantic cannon. And then you might play the tier 7 since it's allegedly good and then you stop because the tier 8+ are worthless.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Time to play a lot of artillery so you can win one instead.

Naw the tier 5 is a giant armorless box but it gets a fantastic 300 damage gun at tier 5, and leads into the tier 6 which is just incredibly well armored and packs a gigantic cannon. And then you might play the tier 7 since it's allegedly good and then you stop because the tier 8+ are worthless.

Now that I don't do CW and there's no ridiculous grind to get tier 10 involved, I'm fine with this, cheers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sayara posted:

Now that I don't do CW and there's no ridiculous grind to get tier 10 involved, I'm fine with this, cheers.

Cool get the tier 6, slap on that 150mm and go to town.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Cool get the tier 6, slap on that 150mm and go to town.

I know this will be seen as heresy by some, but the 10cm is viable as well. Not as much dpm as using 15cm HEAT, but more reliable damage than using 15cm HE. And this isn't like using the 107mm on the KV-2 because there's no T-150 to make that combo dumb as hell.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I know this will be seen as heresy by some, but the 10cm is viable as well. Not as much dpm as using 15cm HEAT, but more reliable damage than using 15cm HE. And this isn't like using the 107mm on the KV-2 because there's no T-150 to make that combo dumb as hell.

So you're playing a slow box tank that gets murdered by higher tiers and artillery, and your payoff is you get to not oneshot same-tier tanks?

Use the 150mm because it's fun. The 100mm is probably better if you want to get the highest average damage, but the 150 removes players from the game. Also it's extremely useful for killing certain problem members of your own team.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Also it's extremely useful for killing certain problem members of your own team.

Wrong, the game won't let you kill your whole team.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Wrong, the game won't let you kill your whole team.

If they're all bunched up and you've got a CGC...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

So you're playing a slow box tank that gets murdered by higher tiers and artillery, and your payoff is you get to not oneshot same-tier tanks?

Use the 150mm because it's fun. The 100mm is probably better if you want to get the highest average damage, but the 150 removes players from the game. Also it's extremely useful for killing certain problem members of your own team.
Hey, you've convinced me to sell my O-I! Thanks!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey, you've convinced me to sell my O-I! Thanks!

Shameful player who doesn't want to remove teammates from the game.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:negative:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

mmkay posted:

Most people hate the A-44, otherwise the line is good.

Hey, I only have some 20k more XP to grind on this tank, and let me tell you. Other than the three times its mobility was useful, "most people" are absolutely correct. That last 100k XP you have to grind on the tank is the worst thing in the game.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZombieLenin posted:

Hey, I only have some 20k more XP to grind on this tank, and let me tell you. Other than the three times its mobility was useful, "most people" are absolutely correct. That last 100k XP you have to grind on the tank is the worst thing in the game.

On a medium. The Sturer Emil is the worst grind overall (of the tanks I've played).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

On a medium. The Sturer Emil is the worst grind overall (of the tanks I've played).

I have yet to encounter this tank, but I definitely trust your judgment here.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I never played the sturer but I always liked the dicker max and just assumed they were more or less the same

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

DonkeyHotay posted:

I never played the sturer but I always liked the dicker max and just assumed they were more or less the same

Nope. I was in the exact same position, then I played it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Things the Dicker Max has that the Sturer Emil doesn't:
- respectable ammo capacity
- top speed over 25
- gun arc over 12 degrees
- an engine

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Things the Dicker Max has that the Sturer Emil doesn't:
- respectable ammo capacity
- top speed over 25
- gun arc over 12 degrees
- an engine

You forgot to mention how the Dicker Max has some measurable camo while the Emil has negative camo. Also I'm fairly certain the Sturer Emil has a worse time poking over hills than the Dicker Max because its gun is mounted lower, but I never measured it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Remember SerBfacts? Well now I have something almost as good, :siren::siren::siren: Pasholok facts:siren::siren::siren:

Yuri Pasholok is a historian and a historical consultant for this game. These questions are answered in a weird way, they're scraped together from several sources, send to Yuri, and then he answers them, sends them to some guy, who makes a Youtube video. Odd, but whatever, enjoy.

Q: Can there be a new Soviet tech tree with the MF-1 preceding the KV-13?
A: We don't deal with alternate history, and even if we did, we'd have better things to work with than a doodle of a KV-1 turret on a T-34 hull. Regarding Soviet tech trees, we have two in mind. It's too early to say anything, but they look rather interesting and promise their own unique gameplay.

Q: When are new arty trees coming? Other trees?
A: Potentially, we have several SPG trees in mind, including for nations that don't exist yet. On the other hand, players have a mixed reaction to artillery. As a result, there is only one premium arty. There is no plans to add more, but the potential for mid-level arty is large, tens of vehicles. However, "clickers" must suffer, so artillery is at the lowest priority.

Q: How about various stowage, track links, sandbags, etc? How effective was it at protecting the tank and will it be implemented in game?
A: In 1944, trials were held and a tank with track links was fired at with an AT gun. The trials showed that at large distances (over 1400 meters) there is an effect. At closer ranges, tracks did not help. The greater the caliber, the less tracks helped. The situation with sandbags is the same, but they helped more against HEAT.

Q: The T-62 and T-64 were adopted in the same decade. We have a T-62, where is the T-64?
A: A T-64 is in the game. The Object 140 used to have this index. As for where is Object 432, it's not there for the same reason that we have a T-62A and not a T-62: smootbore guns and recoilless guns are forbidden. This is a solid foundation, and we will not budge from it.

Q: In 1930 to 1946, were there bushes big enough to hide a Maus?
A: Mikail Zhivets saw bushes big enough to hide a Maus when he went fishing. Let's believe him. Also there is shadbush growing at my dacha, it's over 4 meters tall, so we have to trim it. It grows pretty densely, so if we let it grow you could probably hide a Maus behind it.

Q: Is the Super Conqueror the final replacement for the FV215b?
A: I can't say for sure since other people deal with this, but this is it for now. Initially, we offered this tank as the tier 10. Why we didn't end up with a Chieftain, I have no idea.

Q: Will the T110E5 model be corrected according to historical blueprints?
A: What historical blueprints are you talking about? There were more than ten variants of the T110 project, and more than one turreted version.

Q: Why does Wargaming want to replace the WTE-100?
A: This wonder of the world is completely outside of the Waffentrager paradigm. The idea of a Waffentrager is a small and cheap chassis with minimum armour, and here we have a huge shed with 200 mm of armour and an autoloader. It's completely illogical and will be replaced with a project with no armour at all, but with speed and a long "fishing rod". This will be a real Waffentrager, and not a parody of one.

Q: When will everything be put to scale properly?
A: Never. We constantly encounter situations where scales differ from source to source, even archive sources. The difference between the official length of the IS-1 and its factory blueprints is 8 centimeters, for example. I have no idea how they managed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eonwe posted:

It's essentially the same game solo or grouped, but it's certainly more fun to be playing with other goons.* This is in part because you'll be more effective working together but also because it's just fun to chat and complain with other people. I platoon almost exclusively, and there have been occasions where I'm solo but reach for my chat key to bitch or say something witty only for it to go unheard. :smith:

You are in no way required to play solo to get up to any other player's level in order to platoon; most of us have tanks at every tier so that we can play with anyone, anytime. I have literally hundreds of tanks in my garage, so I can always match up with anyone.

*It's pretty much like how anything is more fun in a group. For example, you could J/O by yourself but if you want to come to one of my J/O parties we could all J/O together. It'll be the same thing as if you were J-ing/O solo but it just ends up being more fun! No gay stuff though. :fap:

reL posted:

If you and Eonwe are on NA, get in the in-game chat channel and on Teamspeak using the information that someone else already linked. There are always goons willing to platoon.

Psykmoe posted:

That's kind of why I don't play tier 10s, but also because I'm bad at them. Additionally, I can prove that it takes ~850 battles to get to a tier 10, but that's something I'll have to describe in more detail in another post.

mrwuss posted:

Any US freebie codes right now?

For new accounts or existing ones? Possibly yes to the former (e.g. FPSRUSSIA, WOTREDDIT), and not that I know of to the latter.

Hellsau posted:

Steelion seems to be loving his O-Ho, so :shrug:

ZombieLenin posted:

Congratulations, my Goone Sire, you got farther into the A-44 than I did! :tipshat:

The Sturer is definitely not a keeper, but it's one of the tanks I was able to comfortably grind through without needing to skip *cough*A-44*cough*. At least both of the guns it gets are usable, but goddamn did I wish it was faster. :(

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i cant wait for a wt auf e100 replacement i dont know when that post was made but im excited for a fishing rod gun!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

i cant wait for a wt auf e100 replacement i dont know when that post was made but im excited for a fishing rod gun!

We know that it will be a 150 gun on a panther chassis, with good handling and DPM.
So pretty decent and hugely less annoying than the wtf100.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

RandomPauI posted:

I traded in an unwanted gift card for gold. Do I get the Japanese Tiger or the Czech Skoda? I've heard meh things about both but that hasn't stopped me before.
No idea about the Japanese Tiger, but the Skoda T40 is a lot of fun and a good all-around medium. I really enjoy mine. It kind of reminds me of the Firefly with a gun that fires slower, but hits harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm occasionally tempted by the Japanese Tiger but on the other hand, .20 turret bloom without a vert stab is awful.

Sure, the T-150 also has turret bloom this bad, but the 107mm Zis-6 offers a better reward for all the time spent aiming after moving the gun than the short 88 does :v: