Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ashsaber posted:

Is there a good way to get affinity with party members easily. I don't particularly need it now, but going forwards it would be nice to know how to spend as little time with H.B. as possible and still get his affinity stuff.

If I'm planning on dicking around with another class for a bit which offer good skills? I don't particularly want to look through the select menu or at spreadsheets for everything.

You can grind it in the postgame through the support missions easy. I think you can get every NPC maxed un under two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How do I get a G-Buster for my Skell? I'm level 43 and beat Mission 10, have all of the AMs, and it's not showing up in the shop for me.

Edit: does it matter what type of Skell I have? I am in a heavy Level 30 skell right now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mind_Taker posted:

How do I get a G-Buster for my Skell? I'm level 43 and beat Mission 10, have all of the AMs, and it's not showing up in the shop for me.

Edit: does it matter what type of Skell I have? I am in a heavy Level 30 skell right now.

Wait until you get a 50, you can get a drop from the Puges in NW Sylvalum. Or just buy a crappy one from the shop.

I got a handful of Phoenix and GBuster in about 15 minutes up there.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I just got the game a few days ago and I am getting the hang of the basics. I know that one of the games flaws is where to find XYZ monster drop, collectible, etc. However, I want to know how you guys are figuring this out? Is there a "go to" site or something which allows us to look up an item by name and learn which monster or region it can be found? I want to craft gear and do more gathering quests but I just don't see how one is supposed to do it other than collecting what is needed by almost pure chance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

So I just got the game a few days ago and I am getting the hang of the basics. I know that one of the games flaws is where to find XYZ monster drop, collectible, etc. However, I want to know how you guys are figuring this out? Is there a "go to" site or something which allows us to look an item by name and learn which monster or region it can be found? I want to craft gear and do more gathering quests but I just don't see how one is supposed to do it other than collecting what is needed by almost pure chance.

There are a few options:

Questgivers who give you quests will often tell you.

Random NPCs will tell you which is documented in one of the game's datathings

Just plain killing enemies.

Or, as a lot of people do, just friggin' google it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 29, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There are a few options:

Questgivers who give you quests will often tell you.

Random NPCs will tell you which is documented in one of the game's datathings

Just plain killing enemies.

Or, as a long people do, just friggin' google it.

Sigh :(

One of the crappiest parts is when you do not have much of the game's data log entries or map revealed quite yet. Makes this process pretty tough. I know it is doable thanks to search engines but I was hoping for something faster that allows me to stop playing the actual game less. Ah well. Game still owns.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Don't "do" the collectible quests. Just check the board on occasion and turn in the ones you already have.

Stock up on all the kill quests and only do them if you're out and about and you see the mobs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All I have left on the quest board are collectable quests.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Don't "do" the collectible quests. Just check the board on occasion and turn in the ones you already have.

Stock up on all the kill quests and only do them if you're out and about and you see the mobs.

Yeah, I considered that it is less fun that way. I like the idea of going to a region and hunting something specific with a gathering goal in mind.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah, I considered that it is less fun that way. I like the idea of going to a region and hunting something specific with a gathering goal in mind.

You can play that way, you'll just be 60 hours in when you finish chapter 3.

The Taint Reaper posted:

All I have left on the quest board are collectable quests.

Im sorry you hate NLA

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

Here's what you do: Explore the first three regions by foot (Primorida, Oblivia, Noctilim or however they're spelled) and while you're exploring, pick up every blue crystal you see, and take on enemies that match or barely exceed your level. If you do that, you'll likely end up with plenty of collectibles to cover the collection quests and may end up with monster parts for the others.

IF NOT, then you can probably get the monster parts from trading in squad tickets or whatever they're called. Just run around, gently caress up the local wildlife and pillage the land clean of its foliage and alien relics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You guys going on about all your squad tickets ... some of us got disconnected from server a short way in through most of our play sessions :sigh: 70 hours in and I've earned less than a thousand in total

Considering they're vital to efficiently completing so many quests, it'd have been nice if the game were programmed to try and reconnect to server without having to reload it, I'm not sure if it's even worth trying out the post-game with the number of tickets required to build augments

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Considering they're vital to efficiently completing so many quests, it'd have been nice if the game were programmed to try and reconnect to server without having to reload it, I'm not sure if it's even worth trying out the post-game with the number of tickets required to build augments

get treasure sensor gear from the armory store and go looking for materials. Equip it on all party members.

all the mats you need have a chance from dropping off broken body part+main body.

So you can net 2-4 parts per kill.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Louisgod posted:

IF NOT, then you can probably get the monster parts from trading in squad tickets or whatever they're called.

I barely even understand what a squad ticket is yet. I don't know how to get them or how to use them. I do see the squad missions but I don't even understand what they are. I know that they have symbols which suggest that I have to kill XYZ bad guys but I cannot tell which monsters they are referring to. I could use a quick 101 class on this stuff. Or is all of that in the manual? I have not read it cover to cover yet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Xavier434 posted:

I barely even understand what a squad ticket is yet. I don't know how to get them or how to use them. I do see the squad missions but I don't even understand what they are. I know that they have symbols which suggest that I have to kill XYZ bad guys but I cannot tell which monsters they are referring to. I could use a quick 101 class on this stuff. Or is all of that in the manual? I have not read it cover to cover yet.

Squad tickets are like a universal currency to buy any crafting mats that would drop from a mob kill, including tyrants. If you see a mob with an S over its name and it's convenient to kill, do it and you'll get some squad tickets. It's not worth it to try and actively seek out S mobs until you get a flying skell, since they're often on completely different continents and out-of-the-way.

So if you're on a mission to collect Bear Asses and you either don't feel like farming them, or you can't, or some other reason, you can buy them at the console with your tickets. Alternately, just bank as many tickets as you possibly can for crafting post-endgame gear later on.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 29, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xavier434 posted:

Squad Task are like this

Red colored Squad icon Specific Tyrant
Yellow is any variation of species
orange is specific species located in specific zone
Blue is collectables

Everyone in your squad works together to get kills, so say 12 things need to die your entire squad will kill the things in their own game and the number will go down until it's cleared. Once a part of the squad task is cleared a squad mission will open up that you access in the terminal in the round room of your barracks. Fully Complete the Squad Task to unlock all the missions

if your squad does the full task and finishes the missions in the time limit you get bonus tickets. You use Tickets to buy materials(but not collectables).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah it doesn't really come into play until later since most of the enemies will be too high level for you early in the game.

Basically you loosely join a "squad" every time you start the game with a singular goal. You never interact with your squad and nothing is mandatory. When you travel around, you'll see enemies with an S above them, and killing them adds to the count of the boxes, and if any of them are completed you get squad tickets.

I've virtually contributed nothing to killing or collecting and still manage to get a decent amount of tickets so don't sweat it. Early on it doesn't matter and it'll make more sense when you get deeper in the game. Put 20 hours in first and then come back.

efb to death

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
the only ticket generating thing that matters is the final menace anyways. it's easy to get 1k to 3k tickets per 7 minute round.

in order to fight the telethia Plume and/or Final menace you need blade coins, you get blade coins from scouting other blades.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for all of the info. That clears most of it up.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Squad Task are like this

Red colored Squad icon Specific Tyrant
Yellow is any variation of species
orange is specific species located in specific zone
Blue is collectables

Let me ask about this. I am pretty sure that I have seen each of these colored icons before but what consistently throws me off is that I do not know which specific tyrant I am supposed to kill or what region it is in. I don't know which species it is referring to sometimes if the picture does not make it obvious. For Orange, how do I tell which species/zone it is referring to? Blue...same kind of question.

It feels like this will be easier once I sink a lot of hours into the game but right now I have very little context so I don't know what the game is trying to get me to do when it comes to squad quests.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xavier434 posted:

Let me ask about this. I am pretty sure that I have seen each of these colored icons before but what consistently throws me off is that I do not know which specific tyrant I am supposed to kill or what region it is in. I don't know which species it is referring to sometimes if the picture does not make it obvious. For Orange, how do I tell which species/zone it is referring to? Blue...same kind of question.

It feels like this will be easier once I sink a lot of hours into the game but right now I have very little context so I don't know what the game is trying to get me to do when it comes to squad quests.

The squad tasks never tell you the location/Name of Monsters, you actively have to hunt for the specific mobs. The required mobs have a little "S" shaped logo by their name. The icons give you a hint of their type

Dinosaur head= Normal beasts
Crab like icon= Crab beasts and their related families
Spider Icon= Scorpios and their related families, the flying whales are considered insects. So those get grouped in too.
Droid/Robot= anything mechanical(it resembles the spider icon a good bit)
Humanoid= can range from ganglion to any of the giants.
Squiggly bunch of tentacles= those jellyfish monsters and the Baelenas are part of this group too(the baelenas are the other type of flying whales they have two huge discs on their back).

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 29, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The squad tasks never tell you the location/Name of Monsters, you actively have to hunt for the specific mobs. The required mobs have a little "S" shaped logo by their name. The icons give you a hint of their type

Hold R and then press L.

'Least for the name. Location you're on your own.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Xavier434 posted:

Thanks for all of the info. That clears most of it up.

Don't worry about them until the post-endgame. You can hit R, L and cycle through them if you really want to see what each one means.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best general build for the Ares 90? Like which stats should be upgraded on the weapons? I know Augs should be switched around depending on which fight you're doing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished the last of the tests for the skel. I am so ready to stomp a mudhole in Those three fuckers in the cave that were just too fast to murder on foot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There is something oddly refreshing about being given the option to look behind you when someone pulls a gun on you and tells you not to move.

Too bad I actually got betrayed and I should have never trusted THE MURDERESS

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Phantasm posted:

There is something oddly refreshing about being given the option to look behind you when someone pulls a gun on you and tells you not to move.

Too bad I actually got betrayed and I should have never trusted THE MURDERESS

I love how you get sold out for what amounts to be like 5% of what you make in an hour of FrontierNav

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is there a guide anywhere for where to find all the party members? Googling only gets me guides for how to find the quests to unlock them, but what I need to know is where to go to find them and put them in my party, since some game designer had a stroke or suffered some kind of serious head trauma or something and thought making you run all over the city to do this was a good idea

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Suaimhneas posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for where to find all the party members? Googling only gets me guides for how to find the quests to unlock them, but what I need to know is where to go to find them and put them in my party, since some game designer had a stroke or suffered some kind of serious head trauma or something and thought making you run all over the city to do this was a good idea

Elma and Lin are within the Barracks.
Irina is outside of the Barracks, to your left if you're exiting it or to the right if you're approaching it.
Murderess is further down that path before the Mim Maintenance Center.
Gwin is on Division Drive, on the right side if you're coming from the Barracks' direction. So is Lao.
Doug's in the Hangar on the lower part of the Admin. District. He's hanging out at the far ledge to the right if you're facing the Restricted Hangar Entrance.
L will be slightly on the left after passing the shopping terminals on Armory Alley.
Nagi is standing on the edge of the helicopter bridge outside of BLADE Tower.

Phog is near the crane on the right in the Residental District's north side.
H.B. is on the large square grassy field near the Water Purification Plant.
Hope is in the center of Deliverance Park.

Alexa is just outside the Outfitters Test Hangar in the Industrial District.
Celica will be within the Integrated Production Plant, hard to miss.
Frye hangs out outside the Repente Diner.

Bozé is overlooking an unfinished street in the bottom corner of the Commercial District.
Yelv will be between two buildings to the right of North Founders Street.
And I haven't gotten far enough to recruit Mia yet.

If there are any things people would prefer spoiled out of this list, tell me now. And by the way, if any of these spots seems wrong, it's usually because a Heart-to-Heart is pulling them away from where they usually are.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 30, 2015

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I just started playing this game yesterday and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the primary mechanics, but there're a couple of things that have me scratching my head.

1) Elma's and Lin's attack power are both wayyyy higher (2-3x) than my protagonist, even when equipped with similar-level gear. Is it because they're farther along on their class tree? Elma's starting gear seems to come with a lot of damage buffs but the discrepancy still seems alarming.

2) When buying weapons at the Armory Avenue kiosk, I feel like I must be misunderstanding something. Weapons in a similar level bracket often have a regular and a "II" variant (e.g. 'name of weapon', 'name of weapon II'), and the regular version seems just straight-up better as they come with a damage+ bonus (reporting better overall damage for its range type) whereas the II variant lacks the damage+ skill (thus lower overall damage) but has an accuracy bonus. Why do these II variants cost a lot more if, at least at first glance, they seem objectively worse?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Suaimhneas posted:

If a character isn't where they should be, it means their character model hasn't been loaded yet so just wait a sec and see if they pop inthey've moved somewhere else for a Heart to Heart. That's annoying! But what you do is go find a place to change the time to a different day part and see if they spawn.

Barracks:
Elma: Looking at the table in the briefing room
Lin: Cooking in the kitchen

Administrative:
Lao: Pathfinder's booth on Division Drive
Gwin: In front of the stairs on Division Drive (Between the Reclaimers and the Pathfinders)
Irina: Right beside the Interceptor's booth on Division Drive (Just south of the Blade Barracks)
The Murderess: In the Curator's booth on Division Drive
L: At the west end of Armory Alley
Doug: On the little porch on the west side of the Restricted Hangar access
Nagi: On the helicopter pad in front of Blade tower

Industrial:
Frye: In front of the diner
Alexa: In front of the Outfitter's test hangar

Residential:
Phog: Across the street from the northwests corner of the park, with all the construction equipment
Hope: In the park
HB: The grassy area across the street from the Water Purification plant and the Cathedral

Commercial:
Boze: Southwest corner near the unfinished roads
Yelv: In the alley beside the salon (the south eastern block)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Awesome, thanks for all that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Question, do I really need 60% of Cauldros surveyed to get the Mia mission of the area?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
A stupid questiom but how do the bolts above enemies work in this game? Sometimes you can sneak around enemies that have them, others you can run laps around, and some flinch even at your quietest rumbling. It's inconsistent and stupid.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

ChaosArgate posted:

Question, do I really need 60% of Cauldros surveyed to get the Mia mission of the area?

it's 80%

Louisgod posted:

A stupid questiom but how do the bolts above enemies work in this game? Sometimes you can sneak around enemies that have them, others you can run laps around, and some flinch even at your quietest rumbling. It's inconsistent and stupid.
Also, yea it's inconsistent, it possibly depends on the enemy itself. Maybe different enemies have different FoV. Zigs can target you from a mile away while you can pretty much stand behind one of those Petramands and they won't notice you at all.

Grimquestioner
Feb 15, 2010

SO GOOD

GFBeach posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the primary mechanics, but there're a couple of things that have me scratching my head.

1) Elma's and Lin's attack power are both wayyyy higher (2-3x) than my protagonist, even when equipped with similar-level gear. Is it because they're farther along on their class tree? Elma's starting gear seems to come with a lot of damage buffs but the discrepancy still seems alarming.

2) When buying weapons at the Armory Avenue kiosk, I feel like I must be misunderstanding something. Weapons in a similar level bracket often have a regular and a "II" variant (e.g. 'name of weapon', 'name of weapon II'), and the regular version seems just straight-up better as they come with a damage+ bonus (reporting better overall damage for its range type) whereas the II variant lacks the damage+ skill (thus lower overall damage) but has an accuracy bonus. Why do these II variants cost a lot more if, at least at first glance, they seem objectively worse?

Elma and Lin are both in advanced classes; your character will easily catch up as you keep going.

If you're looking at Sakuraba weapons the I versions of each weapon tends to have a Melee Attack/Ranged Attack Up augment on them which amps them up and makes them more powerful than the II variants. Each manufacturer that you unlock tends to have different augments/damage types that you can spec into and around as you progress. The prices aren't very balanced and the accuracy doesn't tend to matter much until you're trying to kill things higher than your level, especially some of the endgame tyrants which go way beyond the level cap. Make sure you pay attention to your frontier nav and research probe network as you unlock more probes and you'll have enough money to mostly not worry about the weapon pricing.

Grimquestioner fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 30, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I need some assistance of my own. Two things:

1. Where do I get the "Haywire!" mission I need to start Murderess's second affinity mission?
2. What are the prerequisites to getting the 98th stuffed lobster to appear, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alxprit posted:

1. Where do I get the "Haywire!" mission I need to start Murderess's second affinity mission?

There's a pre-requisite quest of setting up some automated security droids for the Biahno Water Treatment Plant. It starts in the Outfitters Test Hangar with Ton'Celeg. The Haywire Quest itself is available at that location from Rosie. It might only be at night, but that's when I found it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tipme posted:

it's 80%

Also, yea it's inconsistent, it possibly depends on the enemy itself. Maybe different enemies have different FoV. Zigs can target you from a mile away while you can pretty much stand behind one of those Petramands and they won't notice you at all.

Okay thanks, I wasn't sure if it was just me or what. At least in XBC you knew you could reliably tip-toe around all enemies

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Alxprit posted:

2. What are the prerequisites to getting the 98th stuffed lobster to appear, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

You have to finish a mission called, uh, Definian Downfall for the 98th to spawn. This is good game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

GFBeach posted:

1) They aren't stuck using knives, so their on-paper power is going to be quite a bit higher than yours; though in practice it's not as large a difference as you'd think. Shields might have a lot of base power, but they get little in the way of offensive moves, and the ones they do get either have fairly lackluster mults or require TP to use. As for dual swords, their base power isn't much higher than knives, and while they can put out good damage with their moves they're all heavily reliant on positioning, which the AI isn't great at.

They might be doing more damage that you right now, it's not going to be by as much as you'd think, and you're going to overtake them pretty quickly once you get real weapons to play with.

2) Right now, don't worry about it and just get whatever gives you bigger numbers. If you spend less in the process, great.

Edit: And yeah, money shouldn't be all that much of a concern. It rapidly stops being an issue once you start dropping probes everywhere.

And check out augs once those open up. Some of the nicer augs have surprisingly reasonable mat requirements.

• Locked thread