Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Virtue posted:

I was in the market for a moka pot when I came across the Bialetti Brikka. Anyone have experience with this? It has a weight or something to increase the pressure of the water flowing through the grounds. I would have already bought it on coolness factor alone if it weren't twice the price of the regular Bialetti.

I've been wanting to write a meaty post about my recent moka pot messing about, but I'm too drat lazy.

To sum it up, the build quality of the normal Bialetti moka pots seemed kinda subpar to me compared to other, sometimes cheaper, brands. Also, every new Bialetti that I saw came with a rubber gasket that was already dry-rotted dogshit. I had to replace the gasket on my Bialetti with a silicone seal from Primula just to get it to not sputter from the threads when brewing.

I know that the Brikka is supposed to do some fake crema business, and I've never used one of those, but I suggest you look at any other brands that are offering the same gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Apparently no one does, including me, but I'm curious what led you to ask? Am I missing out by using the "Factory Recommended" settings? I have tried using hotter water, up to 190, but my crude palate didn't notice a difference.

Go with the standard coffee water ratio, play with the extraction time to suit your grind size, I grind a little larger than table salt and extract about 2.5 minutes. My water is 195-198 F. I think the reason the instructions have a lower temp is to protect them from fools scalding themselves. I invert.

That said, my normal morning coffee comes from a vac pot, and after that its all espresso. I do an Aeropress once a week or less.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Aeropress is an accident waiting to happen if you use the popular inverted method. Pour over is way easier.

It is, especially inverted, which is only popular because someone won the national Barista championship with it 5 years ago now, and people think it makes them fancy to do it.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
The Aeropress is excellent in that it gives a lot of control over all aspects of the brewing, and that it is pretty easy to replicate a method once one is chosen.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's not really unsafe either. You'd have to put a ton of pressure down to break a glass and if you mess up the press somehow else by shooting it off the counter, you're not working on a surface such that you can press down with good leverage. By the time you'd flip an inverted brew the coffee will not be at melt your flesh temps.

It's a two minute cup that's as consistent as the local v60 pour over shops near me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

eta: I like it because it's cheap, easy to clean, and has one moving part.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What the guy after you said. It seems like the instructions that come with it are just a starting point (and they only make a shot sized cup off coffee if you don't double it). The water temp seemed low to me as well.

Maybe. The instructions suggest you treat the shot you get like an espresso, and to finish it you add more water like it's an americano. My M.O. is to end up with 8oz of coffee total per aeropress "serving".

They also claim they settled on 175F using a battery of blind taste tests, but hey, without peer review and independent replication, who knows.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 28, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When looking at thermoses/carafes, does glass-lined matter? The cheaper ones seem to be stainless.

People on this Amazon like this one, outside of some complaints about it being difficult to clean:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Joe-GJO11955-Stainless-Insulated/dp/B006U1ALKW

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Glass is less likely to retain flavors than steel but glass is breakable.

For portable thermoses (thermi?) you can get steel ones with fancy coatings and hi-tech polished surfaces to pretty much get rid of the flavor thing.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Aeropress is an accident waiting to happen if you use the popular inverted method. Pour over is way easier.

People always say this and I recall a number of people saying they'd spilled in this thread, but I've made probably a hundred cups without issue using the inverted method and I can't see how a problem would occur with everything set up right and a reasonable amount of care.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
So long as you remember to put the cap on before flipping it and leave a generous amount of space between the end of the barrel and the plunger, there's no risk of things going wrong with the inverted method. There's a reason why the majority of top 3 finishers in the World Aeropress Championships use the inverted method.

On a tangent, I got a Brewista Smart Scale (alternative vid) for Christmas and it's utterly awesome. Auto-tares after the grounds are added, timer automatically starts when you begin pouring, has multiple modes for pour-over and espresso, is physically small enough to fit into an espresso machine etc. Easily the best piece of coffee-related gear I've had in a long time.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

On a tangent, I got a Brewista Smart Scale (alternative vid) for Christmas and it's utterly awesome. Auto-tares after the grounds are added, timer automatically starts when you begin pouring, has multiple modes for pour-over and espresso, is physically small enough to fit into an espresso machine etc. Easily the best piece of coffee-related gear I've had in a long time.
I just got one of these too. It updates the weight several times a second, is able to have its auto-off disabled, and has apparently been designed to be blasted point-blank by espresso shots and shrug it off.

However, I find it's automatic tare+timer mode useless for pourover because it does not account for a bloom period or a pulsated pour. The timer will start when the bloom water is added and not stop unless you intervene.

If you try and reach your target water weight by pouring in separate intervals instead of a continuous pour, the scale gets confused and may auto-tare again when the next interval pour is started.

I've been using it in full manual mode.

On my own tangent, I also just got a Zojurishi water boiler since their website led me to believe that it could be set up to have 208F water at a set time and to keep it at that temperate for hours.

I'm still playing with it, but so far it seems like anything north of 185F gets really inconsistent in terms of getting a controlled temperature into your kettle.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

I just got one of these too. It updates the weight several times a second, is able to have its auto-off disabled, and has apparently been designed to be blasted point-blank by espresso shots and shrug it off.

However, I find it's automatic tare+timer mode useless for pourover because it does not account for a bloom period or a pulsated pour. The timer will start when the bloom water is added and not stop unless you intervene.

If you try and reach your target water weight by pouring in separate intervals instead of a continuous pour, the scale gets confused and may auto-tare again when the next interval pour is started.

On my own tangent, I also just got a Zojurishi water boiler since their website led me to believe that it could be set up to have 208F water at a set time and to keep it at that temperate for hours.

I'm still playing with it, but so far it seems like anything north of 185F gets really inconsistent in terms of getting a controlled temperature into your kettle.

I have one of the cheaper Zojirushi boilers and I've tested temperatures quite a bit. the water is kept pretty constant at 208F in the boiler, but the manual pump on my model instantly cools the water by a surprising amount. I've never had it read above 192 and that's tested the instant it comes out of the spout. I've wondered if a model with an electric pump would cool it less.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

I have one of the cheaper Zojirushi boilers and I've tested temperatures quite a bit. the water is kept pretty constant at 208F in the boiler, but the manual pump on my model instantly cools the water by a surprising amount. I've never had it read above 192 and that's tested the instant it comes out of the spout. I've wondered if a model with an electric pump would cool it less.

This is exactly my experience so far, and I bought the top model.

I did measure 200F out of it once, but I had to put it I to re-boil when it was already reading 208F and then dispense during the boil. But:

1. During the time it took to re-boil I could have just had the Bonavita run a 205F cycle, and

2. 200F from the spout is not hot enough to hit a metal kettle and maintain a temp above 190F.

Question for anybody here. From a coffee flavor standpoint, is it even a good idea to keep water at the ready at 208F for hours even if the equipment was up to it? All the coffee and tea shops have a boiler keeping their water hot, but that doesn't mean it can't negatively affect the flavor.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

Mine doesn't auto-tare when pulse-pouring in "hand 1" mode - once it's recognised that the main pour's started and the timer auto-starts, the scale will just remain static when you're not pouring and then increment when you add more water. Something's gone wrong if yours is resetting every time you stop pouring while the timer's running - all 6 brewing methods won't reset the weight until the cup's been removed from the scales and, even then, it'll still show the final weight for 5 seconds before resetting both the weight and the timer to zero.

The lack of a bloom period is annoying but one work-around is to add the grinds and wait for it to auto-tare, then remove the pour-over to level the bed before replacing it. That resets the scale so you can add the bloom water and then the scale will reset without starting the timer. Just do the bloom timer in your head and then subtract the bloom time and bloom weight from the total time/weight when you start the main pour and auto-trigger the timer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

Question for anybody here. From a coffee flavor standpoint, is it even a good idea to keep water at the ready at 208F for hours even if the equipment was up to it? All the coffee and tea shops have a boiler keeping their water hot, but that doesn't mean it can't negatively affect the flavor.

I doubt that keeping the water under a boil is going to negatively affect it. That's only a concern if you're keeping water at a boil, or re-boiling it multiple times.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

El Disco posted:

I doubt that keeping the water under a boil is going to negatively affect it. That's only a concern if you're keeping water at a boil, or re-boiling it multiple times.

That would be my guess. Actually boiling water reduces oxygen content in the water which could play an effect on taste after a while, but keeping it hot in a contained vessel shouldn't really affect things.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I bought an 8-cup Bonavita Carafe Coffee maker recently and I'm looking for good pre-ground coffee to make with it.

I tried some basic Dunkin Donuts coffee with it but it came out very bitter, which googling around tells me was because the coffee was ground too fine. Are there any recommendations besides "Grind your own coffee" to use with it?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

THF13 posted:

I bought an 8-cup Bonavita Carafe Coffee maker recently and I'm looking for good pre-ground coffee to make with it.

I tried some basic Dunkin Donuts coffee with it but it came out very bitter, which googling around tells me was because the coffee was ground too fine. Are there any recommendations besides "Grind your own coffee" to use with it?

You can look around for local roasters that sell preground, or failing that find some online. Buying coffee in a department store is very suboptimal for freshness.

As someone who only just recently got into coffee, though, I can tell you that it's worthwhile to grind your own coffee.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I just got my EvenGrind hand grinder that I backed on Kickstarter. It truly lives up to it's name, as It's the most even grind I've ever seen on a hand grinder. I'm going to do a Chemex test on it this weekend, as the Hario hand grinder I would take on camping trips failed miserably at course grinds.

http://kuissential.com/product/evengrind-coffee-grinder/

toenut fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 30, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Klades posted:

You can look around for local roasters that sell preground, or failing that find some online. Buying coffee in a department store is very suboptimal for freshness.

As someone who only just recently got into coffee, though, I can tell you that it's worthwhile to grind your own coffee.

Yeah, but it's also worth buying an expensive grinder, so if he isn't ready to take the plunge, coffee that you grind yourself at the super market is just fine for now.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is OK. Not great, but I'll drink it. You can buy the whole bean coffee at the store, and they will grind it for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

toenut posted:

I just got my EvenGrind hand grinder that I backed on Kickstarter. It truly lives up to it's name, as It's the most even grind I've ever seen on a hand grinder. I'm going to do a Chemex test on it this weekend, as the Hario hand grinder I would take on camping trips failed miserably at course grinds.

http://kuissential.com/product/evengrind-coffee-grinder/

If this is the real thing that is also durable enough to last a few years I think the LIDO guys are dead.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eh, Hario and Hario likes are pretty ugly compaird to the lido.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
That grinder is a carbon copy of a Hario Skereton apart from the addition of a stabilising cage. Doesn't that leave them open to being sued by Hario?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
You can just buy a 3d printed part for your Hario as well, I think there are a couple of them out there:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/JZJVMCJCF/hario-skerton-coffee-grinder-stabilizer

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

El Disco posted:

rockcity posted:

That would be my guess. Actually boiling water reduces oxygen content in the water which could play an effect on taste after a while, but keeping it hot in a contained vessel shouldn't really affect things.

FYI this is a myth that mostly sprouted from Chinese tea folklore/superstition. It's the change of a liquid's temperature or pressure that effects it's gas solubility, and boiling is just one point on that scale. Water at 0C will have a max of 15ppm disolved oxygen, at 50C it's 5ppm and at 100C it's zero. As the water cools DO will return, and boiling it again will remove it again but not in greater amounts then it did the first time (you can't get less then zero). Secondly, the amount of DO in normal tap water is so minuscule it's highly unlikely it has any effect on the final beverage's flavor, especially considering all the other similarly small factors that aren't controlled/ accounted for in the brewing process. Anyone who says different is probably experiencing the placebo effect, which does run rampant in this industry and many others where individual taste is a factor.

That said, if once-boiled water tastes better to you then twice-boiled, gently caress the science, drink what you like. The point is to enjoy this stuff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MrEnigma posted:

You can just buy a 3d printed part for your Hario as well, I think there are a couple of them out there:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/JZJVMCJCF/hario-skerton-coffee-grinder-stabilizer
eh, it's a bit tight so I broke the burr with that.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

After going to Italy, I just bought a Gaggia Classic and grinder. What are some good grocery store espresso beans? Should I stick with Lavazza?

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

kim jong-illin posted:

That grinder is a carbon copy of a Hario Skereton apart from the addition of a stabilising cage. Doesn't that leave them open to being sued by Hario?

Found this other copy on Amazon, so who knows. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OPAPZC4?psc=1

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

After going to Italy, I just bought a Gaggia Classic and grinder. What are some good grocery store espresso beans? Should I stick with Lavazza?

Man, you just spent a bunch of money on an espresso machine and a grinder, don't skimp on the actual coffee. That'd be like renovating your kitchen and buying a good set of knives, pots, pans, etc, and then only eating Hot Pockets. Get freshly roasted stuff from a local roaster if possible or order online if you don't have any good roasters in your area.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Man, you just spent a bunch of money on an espresso machine and a grinder, don't skimp on the actual coffee. That'd be like renovating your kitchen and buying a good set of knives, pots, pans, etc, and then only eating Hot Pockets. Get freshly roasted stuff from a local roaster if possible or order online if you don't have any good roasters in your area.

What do I do until I go out and get some, Lavazza? I've just got a ziplock of some preground poo poo that only cremas up with the pressure basket.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Don't defile your machine with such filth

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

BgRdMchne posted:

What do I do until I go out and get some, Lavazza? I've just got a ziplock of some preground poo poo that only cremas up with the pressure basket.
Literally anything that was roasted closer to you then Italy. My grocery store carries a bunch of local roasters but I'm in Seattle; without knowing what's in your store it's hard to get more specific then that.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

bizwank posted:

Literally anything that was roasted closer to you then Italy. My grocery store carries a bunch of local roasters but I'm in Seattle; without knowing what's in your store it's hard to get more specific then that.

The closest one, and the one I'll probably go to today is a pretty ghetto Kroger. I'll see what they have.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

BgRdMchne posted:

The closest one, and the one I'll probably go to today is a pretty ghetto Kroger. I'll see what they have.

You can order fresh roasted coffee online btw, there's even a few goon roasters.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dik-dik posted:

That'd be like renovating your kitchen and buying a good set of knives, pots, pans, etc, and then only eating Hot Pockets.

Don't you loving judge me.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

So I have a maybe weird question.

I've been using a V60, but just got a french press, and so far I've found that coffee I make with the press tastes a bit better to me. But more oddly, coffee I made in the press still tastes ok once it's gone past lukewarm, whereas coffee from the V60 tastes gross once it's cold.

Does this mean I'm doing something horrifically wrong with the V60?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A friend of mine has quite the collection of French Presses.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I want to buy a French press, which one should I get? In addition, is there a Goon Approved guide/post for using them?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I want to buy a French press, which one should I get? In addition, is there a Goon Approved guide/post for using them?

Bodum Brazil is like 18 bucks, and it's pretty common, I think you can get it at Target, and for sure at world market, or on Amazon if you want. You can spend more and get a bigger one, or one made of stainless, or one with tempered glass, but as far as I can tell, they all more or less work the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Bodum Brazil is like 18 bucks, and it's pretty common, I think you can get it at Target, and for sure at world market, or on Amazon if you want. You can spend more and get a bigger one, or one made of stainless, or one with tempered glass, but as far as I can tell, they all more or less work the same.

Thanks. Anyone do fp with the preciso? What settings are you using?