Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't wait to read the threads about AFK travel being bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think I damaged my lungs laughing when you guys figured out how to make people browned out drunk and vomit all over the place by vomiting on them, spreading it around like the pie eating contest from Stand By Me.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yes, the game had booze, vomit, and jail, at which point come on, I play games to escape from my everyday life!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I posted our original forays into this way back in the thread. gently caress if i know where it is in the thread now. It had screenshots and everything of the chaos that it could cause though. It's :words: as gently caress to explain, but to roughly recap what I remember of it:

Back in the early days of Wushu no one knew how anything worked. This lead to goons griefing people just by them being ignorant of the game mechanics. Incidentally, a few of us got together and realized that one of the Beggar clan skills involved puking up alcohol on people after you ingest ungodly sums of alcohol yourself. This gets other people drunk. Which causes their character to stagger around hilariously, reduced their vision to being completely hosed so you couldn't see anything, and reduced their on the ground movement speed to like 10% of what it normally is.

In a game as large (and undeveloped at the time) as Wushu this could completely gently caress you since hahaha good luck traveling if you don't have a horse or have a stock of the items that remove drunkenness on hand. It also made combat impossible since the other guy could be leaping and jumping around while you're limited to roleplaying as the village drunk.

As a bonus to all of this drunkenness would persist through death and lasted for a long time if capped out. Also, another skill would set someone on fire once they were soaked in alcoholic vomit. So you'd have someone drunk, staggering around like a parody of a drunk, usually shrieking in rage at people through chat, and unable to see anything at all all while on fire.

If this sounds like absurd game design to you given how your average player would react to that then don't worry, you're not wrong. The Wushu devs were nucking futs to put it mildly.

Cue some of us getting together and organizing violent mugging-by-way-of-puke gangs. We'd descend from the rooftops and shadows and just utterly ruin their ability to do anything but vomit into the gutters of some backwater ancient town like the world's worst drunkard.

Usually people would figure out what we were doing far too late and frantically try to stagger away from us, slamming into everything and everyone and generally accomplishing gently caress all in escaping. If they fought back they'd usually be completely screwed as well since we could out manuever them. Eventually we'd either get bored and deliver a coup de grace or they'd pay us to stop vomiting on them so they could start sobering up.

Things escalated when we started puke bombing the bank in the main city. Like any MMO that doesn't decentralize things with multiple capital cities this place was usually packed during prime time back then. To the point where we figured if you couldn't see what was what on your screen it'd be difficult to know who threw a punch. If nothing else the sheer number of people meant that we'd be maximizing the usage of our infectious puke.

I hope you can see where i'm going with this.

The first time we did this in an organized manner we actually caused a city wide kung-fu riot. Like alcoholic suicide bombers, we surrounded the massive crowd in the bank and began to chug-alug-lug all the alcohol we had. Then we spewed the contents of our stomach everywhere over and over again as people fell over in a drunken haze, began vomiting all over themselves and everyone else, or just started staggering about trying to figure out how to get away or kill us. And of course some cheeky fucker had to just light a match not long after that.

Of course many guilds were filled with drama queens and assumed it was ____ guild screwing with them, so when someone accidentally threw a punch in the wrong direction as chat was exploding with calls for help and accusations all hell broke loose. And we traveled with it, adding to the chaos by either camping people in all our vomitous glory trying to come out of spawn or confusing people further by hitting up other crowds. Soon everybody was (usually drunkenly) kung-fu fighting while the few pubbies in the know freaked out at us for being horrible drunken dicks.

Long story short, old school Wushu was loving amazing and it's a shame there's nothing as literally batshit insane as it on the market nowadays.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This *should* be the original AoW post. Wasn't too hard to find :shrug:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
All of that was improved by the lack of diminishing returns on stuns and the relative lack of power difference between "level capped" (the level system was pretty weird) and brand new characters. Ten goons could stun lock a small group of opponents almost indefinitely.

Honestly the game was most entertaining early on because we were the only ones that actually had any idea (and I mean that very loosely) how to play the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wushu was good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also the preferred way of paying for the game among goons was with Subway gift cards

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Nobody wanted Snail USA anywhere near their credit card details.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Enallyniv posted:

Nobody wanted Snail USA anywhere near their credit card details.

US subsidiary of a Chinese company using a Russian payment processor. :toot:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

US subsidiary of a Chinese company using a Russian payment processor. :toot:

Sounds safe to me :v:

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I still remember loving up an attempt to boozepuke a leader of an enemy Vietnamese guild just before some sort of important tournament by targeting another goon by accident. The citywide gang fights were also really fun.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Detective Buttfuck posted:

I still remember loving up an attempt to boozepuke a leader of an enemy Vietnamese guild just before some sort of important tournament by targeting another goon by accident.

Sure, by accident.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sure, by accident.

hey, he was drunk

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Wasn't Wushu also the game where you could rig the school elder competition by provoking a potential candidate into killing some low level goon and then have the entire swarm come down on them out of the blue so that they'd miss the competition?

I also remember something about 'SanguineMoon' and burning down whatever they called a guild hall....I miss those times.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Krakatoah posted:

Wasn't Wushu also the game where you could rig the school elder competition by provoking a potential candidate into killing some low level goon and then have the entire swarm come down on them out of the blue so that they'd miss the competition?

Yes. The goon candidates still had to score more kills than all the other applicants in the battle royale.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Unguided posted:

Yes. The goon candidates still had to score more kills than all the other applicants in the battle royale.
Which we also tried to rig by blockading the tournament ground. Pile driving some play to win try hard off the bridge with my dirt poor free to play scrub beggar was one of the happiest days of my life. Ah memories :allears:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Then there's the scroll stealing events, where you had to steal scrolls from a school and then take them to the edge of the map. So goons just camped out by the escape points and jumped people in huge 20-to-1 ambushes and took the scrolls for themselves.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Didn't Wushu have a class whose special ability was to hold down a male player character and forcibly castrate them? Was there a single penis still attached after a month?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Preechr posted:

Didn't Wushu have a class whose special ability was to hold down a male player character and forcibly castrate them? Was there a single penis still attached after a month?

Rootless, though people wanted you to hold them down and actually paid because that got them into rootless as well to hold people down and castrate them, so there was a big long thing about bribery and whatnot to get your dick chopped off.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Forer posted:

Rootless, though people wanted you to hold them down and actually paid because that got them into rootless as well to hold people down and castrate them, so there was a big long thing about bribery and whatnot to get your dick chopped off.

Not for long, there wasn't.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Basically just check out the three or four pages after the post that got linked up above. For awhile people were posting lots of stories of all the stuff they did, some of which reduced people to a literally incoherent rage.

Wushu was a strange, insane, and amazing beast that had unbelievable amounts of griefing potential before the devs hosed it all up. I don't think i've seen anything like it since then.

This was the sort of sandbox game that had a justice system that would hold you in a jail cell for 24 hours for repeated murder before having you publicly executed in the town square. Goons fully exploited this by having their newbie players suicide into enemies to get them jailed. Then they'd sit in front of their cell and spam offers to play Go with them (Which got the goon XP, to top it all off.) or just did a coordinated dance routine with other goons as the player in question raged from behind the bars of the cell.

I still have fond memories of the times when goons figured out that the farms outside of cities could be repurposed to be some sort of terrifying Vietnam War-esque jungle ambush. Goons figured out that certain plants gave great coverage when planted en-masse, essentially turning the farm into a jungle that many players could hide out in.

Cue mid to high level pubbies running hijackable carts full of supplies out of cities only to get past the gate and see a forest on both sides of the roads where there definitely wasn't one before. Of course they'd then get confused before inevitably panicking as dozens of thrown daggers and poisonous darts were launched at them from the treeline. All while the Royal Guard clan players literally pulled the pubbies into the newly formed forest Scorpion style so they could be hacked apart by a horde of bloodthirsty newbie goons.

Edit: I didn't! I was just busy typing it up. :v:

Seriously, old school Wushu was loving amazing. Who knew a badly translated chinese kung-fu game could bring out the inner rear end in a top hat in so many people?

Also since you mentioned it, you could kidnap and sell players into slavery. This added a title related to their job over their head and changed where they logged in at.

Mind you, one of the places you could sell players to was a brothel. Which would obviously add the <Prostitute> tag to the player for an hour or so. A number of players were not amused to log in and discover that goons had decided they deserved a career in interpersonal relations.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 30, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You forgot the parts about getting people sent to jail, sold into slavery, castrated, and publicly executed by goading them into attacking you in towns or some such.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
new china game also has fishing and boats

apparently one of the griefs done on the KR version is to go pick up a fisherman and body slam him onto your boat, then just sail off

if they swim back they have a chance of dieing, also it just wastes their time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWAfq_BRBo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Any games worth checking out for griefing purposes? Might check out the game Third World Reggin is posting about when it gets a NA release.

Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Any games worth checking out for griefing purposes? Might check out the game Third World Reggin is posting about when it gets a NA release.

Garry's Mod or any Source game is excellent. Also survival games.

Just saw this video and if you're willing to spend $40, check out Squad. It looks like it's really fun to grief; I think I might buy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg-X--LfGhc

Taxman84 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 30, 2015

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Krakatoah posted:

That's the kicker for Wushu - anyone could be the low-level goon. Your level was determined by an activated "internal skill", which dictated your stats and health. One of the starting paths gave you access to an internal skill that was basically locked at level 1... giving you a one-button, instant way of making yourself a one-hit-kill.

There was also a jail system, where anyone who instigated a fight and killed another player could have a bounty placed on their head by the victim. If caught (killed) by a deputy, the filthy criminal would be jailed for a time proportional to their bounty.*

The Goons' sworn enemies, a network of Vietnamese guilds, were big on e-bushido (except when it inconvenienced them), had massive egos and were, collectively, not particularly bright. We would goad them into killing someone, the bait player would set a maxed out bounty and one of our deputies would swoop in, deliver the finishing touch and jail them for 5 hours in-game. As a bonus they'd also collect the bounty and pass it back to the bait.

Let it sink in for a second that this was done to some players nearly every week.

* I think this was how it worked, correct me if I'm misremembering here.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
No, that's right. Ten Liang was one hour, and it capped at.... eight? So if someone turned on their PvP flag and attacked you, and killed you, you could spend money to put them in jail for the rest of the real world day. Problem was, you had to spend real Liang (gold Liang? Silver Liang? There were two currencies which had the same goddamn denominations) which enemies didn't drop and was a little obtuse to get your hands on short of selling martial arts secrets, and mostly you want to keep those for yourself.

Eighty Liang sounds like a lot to most poor goons and pubbies, sure, but two things cut the sting--first, if you had a goon get the money you had solid odds of getting all of your bounty back, or at least getting a fun new feud to puke on. Second, there was the system where once an hour you could sell someone offline into slavery for 10 Liang. What most people didn't know was if you sold a second person to the same business, on the same day, you'd get 12 Liang. And 14 Liang for the third. And 16 Liang for the fourth. Set aside a Saturday where you don't have any plans to sell the same NPC slaves 23 times, and that's 736 Liang, which is enough to be a total rear end in a top hat basically forever.

If a day's super casual poopsocking sounds like too much effort, you could tell everyone on tradechat you're selling Goose Step, a super high level flying skill that gives you a flash step, without which you'll lose every serious PvP fight against certain builds. Link it in trade chat to show that you have it, and offer to sell it for a mere 700 Liang, which was a steal. Then when people ask for it, send them a copy of Whirlwind Step, a skill book with the same icon but basically no value, cash on delivery though the mail. Make several thousand Liang and spend it all on mastering several completely worthless martial arts styles with neat names. Personally, I had every beggar martial art at max level, largely because no one else wanted them.

Or just tell some goldsellers you'd like to buy some gold, take a few hundred dollars worth of gold, don't actually pay them, distribute it to everyone online at the time, and get half the goons banned for having bought gold.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I miss Wushu. :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wushu was an incredible game for all the worst (Read: Amazing) reasons and it will be missed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

My memories of Wushu are pretty vague but I do remember most of us camping out in the market square of a big city killing merchants as they desperately tried to reach their shops and extend their leases before they ran out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Second, there was the system where once an hour you could sell someone offline into slavery for 10 Liang. What most people didn't know was if you sold a second person to the same business, on the same day, you'd get 12 Liang. And 14 Liang for the third. And 16 Liang for the fourth. Set aside a Saturday where you don't have any plans to sell the same NPC slaves 23 times, and that's 736 Liang, which is enough to be a total rear end in a top hat basically forever.

I wish I could interview the person responsible for this design decision to give enormous rewards for mass slavery. Preferably with some glass between us.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

My memories of Wushu are pretty vague but I do remember most of us camping out in the market square of a big city killing merchants as they desperately tried to reach their shops and extend their leases before they ran out.

The best way to describe the goon organization in wushu was as a organized crime. We hijacked cargo passing between cities, mugged pedestrians for their kung fu secrets and then flipped the stuff on the open market, ran bait and switch scams, assaulted anyone who rode a horse in town, beat up people so they lost their lucrative shop locations and them moved into the spot ourselves, rigged martial art elections to put our flunkies in power, and posed as the victim and the police simultaneously to frame anyone who tried to fight back for murder. We were the russian mob invading crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

new china game also has fishing and boats

apparently one of the griefs done on the KR version is to go pick up a fisherman and body slam him onto your boat, then just sail off

if they swim back they have a chance of dieing, also it just wastes their time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWAfq_BRBo

im glad of this

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

-Zydeco- posted:

Assaulted anyone who rode a horse in town

It was such a simple thing, but I honestly never got tired of claw yanking dudes off horses, to then watch homies just savage them with a flurry of dickpunches.

Royal Guard 4 lyfe

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yardbomb posted:

It was such a simple thing, but I honestly never got tired of claw yanking dudes off horses, to then watch homies just savage them with a flurry of dickpunches.

Royal Guard 4 lyfe

I remember running around as a beggar fondly in AoW. You could totally solo No Horse for fun, but it was even better when you teamed up a Royal Guard and a beggar for a bit of Bad Cop Bad Cop fun. Have the RG yank the pubbie off their horse and remind them that there's NO HORSE allowed in town. If they were polite about it, send them on their way. If they were dicks and decided to try and knock the RG on his rear end, then his buddy Beggar Bad Cop would slide up and vomit wine on the pubby till he couldn't see straight, all the while shouting DO NOT RESIST!! ABSOLUTELY NO HORSE ALLOWED!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did you guys ever get in trouble for that stuff? Or did the GMs/Developers see it as emergent gameplay?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

RatHat posted:

Did you guys ever get in trouble for that stuff? Or did the GMs/Developers see it as emergent gameplay?

Hahahahaha, as if Snail cared at all how we played their game. :cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Did a certain update take out all the fun or something? Because this game sounds awesome and I regret not trying it despite having it downloaded for a while now

• Locked thread