Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Why are you assuming this?

So are you just pretending that the prequel trilogy didn't come decades after the original films now or something?

Because either Ren's motivations are like Vader's, where we see the end result but not the logic behind them, and we don't get a clear explanation in this set of movies, or they're facile and can be summed up organically, or they're unwieldy and lengthy flashbacks. Those are basically the only three options. I would prefer not to have him be purely facile, but the other two options basically lead to entirely separate movies to explain his motivations. Or to licensed tie-in novels to do it.

I actually summed this up in the previous paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Effectronica posted:

Vader's backstory and motivations were revealed over about 360 minutes, so...

Vader's backstory and motivations were embellished upon for 360 minutes. The original trilogy told us everything we needed to know without frame stories or separate movies. What point are you making?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Because either Ren's motivations are like Vader's, where we see the end result but not the logic behind them, and we don't get a clear explanation in this set of movies, or they're facile and can be summed up organically, or they're unwieldy and lengthy flashbacks. Those are basically the only three options. I would prefer not to have him be purely facile, but the other two options basically lead to entirely separate movies to explain his motivations. Or to licensed tie-in novels to do it.

I actually summed this up in the previous paragraph.

If you ignore the craft of storytelling in order to assume that detail, poignance, and inches of film must all be directly correlated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Why are those the only three options? Like... there are literally decades of films which manage to have villains who don't need lengthy backstories to sum up their characterization and motivations.

Like what if Ren's reason for falling is something that matters to the plot in the upcoming films and so we find out about it at the same time as the plot is advanced?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 30, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bongo Bill posted:

A prequel is just an achronological sequel. I would say only 300 minutes rather than 360, however, as A New Hope was not very concerned with his backstory or motivations. They were, however, central to the second and third films to be release, and then depicted explicitly for the fourth, fifth, and sixth. (And the seventh is heavily involved with a character who was influenced by those backstory and motivations, while we're at it.)

I was thinking I-III, two hours apiece, for 360 minutes that basically lay out his backstory and motivations.

Phylodox posted:

Vader's backstory and motivations were embellished upon for 360 minutes. The original trilogy told us everything we needed to know without frame stories or separate movies. What point are you making?

Actually, the original trilogy tells us zip about why he took the actions he did, and literally as soon as a sequel was released, Star Wars became Episode IV: A New Hope. So there was always the sense that there was more to the story once Vader became the primary antagonist.

Cheesus posted:

...it couldn't possibly be explain in brief flashbacks as Tom Riddle's transformation in the Half Blood Prince?

Voldemort is a pretty facile character. He's pop-psych Hitler, down to being secretly Jewish or born with one testicle or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Effectronica posted:

Actually, the original trilogy tells us zip about why he took the actions he did, and literally as soon as a sequel was released, Star Wars became Episode IV: A New Hope. So there was always the sense that there was more to the story once Vader became the primary antagonist.

We know all we need to know about Vader in the original trilogy from the original trilogy. It was all we knew about him for fifteen years, and that wasn't a problem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bongo Bill posted:

If you ignore the craft of storytelling in order to assume that detail, poignance, and inches of film must all be directly correlated.

ImpAtom posted:

Why are those the only three options? Like... there are literally decades of films which manage to have villains who don't need lengthy backstories to sum up their characterization and motivations.

They generally have characters who can have their motivations set out organically, because they're simple characters. They want this because they're greedy. They want revenge because they were wronged. On the other hand, look at loving Casablanca, where almost the entire movie is set around Rick's internal emotional state, because Rick is somewhat complex, being torn between idealism and pragmatism in one dimension and between pain and love on another.

There's nothing wrong with simple characters! The Emperor is a simple character. Nobody calls for his backstory, because it's all laid out. He's convinced that everyone is basically immoral and devotes himself to revealing that in others. But the way TFA sets Ren up as a character, he shows the possibility of being genuinely complex, and I would prefer that to having a purely simple character.

Phylodox posted:

We know all we need to know about Vader in the original trilogy from the original trilogy. It was all we knew about him for fifteen years, and that wasn't a problem.

We know all we need to know about Vader, in the strict sense, without ever watching any Star Wars movies. All you're really saying is, "the original trilogy is well-made enough to feel satisfying to watch", which isn't like, the highest bar to clear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Effectronica posted:

They generally have characters who can have their motivations set out organically, because they're simple characters.

You're assuming that simple motivations is the same as a simple character. A character can have both simple motivations or even a simple premise but still have depth or complexity. 360 extra minutes of Darth Vader did not actually significantly change his character who can still be summed up by "guy who fell to evil to protect his loved ones and in the process killed them." Not to mention that three films worth of being a villain is more than enough to develop a character without having to devote entire episodes to flashbacks about their history.

Very few villains can't be described fairly simply. What gives them complexity is how they are played out and how they contribute to the themes and ideas of the story. Walter White is an exceedingly simple concept ("A man who allows his pride to overcome all else") but is interesting and exciting because of how he is played and acted and how his actions contribute to the world around him. Hannibal Lector is arguably only hurt by increased focus on his history and backstory which weaken a character with a strong base concept.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 30, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Effectronica posted:

We know all we need to know about Vader, in the strict sense, without ever watching any Star Wars movies. All you're really saying is, "the original trilogy is well-made enough to feel satisfying to watch", which isn't like, the highest bar to clear.

Then what are you even complaining about? You want Star Wars movies to be something they are not, never were, and never will be. Sorry?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

You're assuming that simple motivations is the same as a simple character. A character can have both simple motivations or even a simple premise but still have depth or complexity. 360 extra minutes of Darth Vader did not actually significantly change his character who can still be summed up by "guy who fell to evil to protect his loved ones and in the process killed them." Not to mention that three films worth of being a villain is more than enough to develop a character without having to devote entire episodes to flashbacks about their history.

That's actually not a thing we knew about Darth Vader before the prequels. We certainly couldn't have summed up his character in that way without them.

You're assuming that you can make a character complex without spending time on them, and that's not really the case. You need to devote time to their internal struggles, whether externalized or not. Furthermore, most of Ren's potential complexity as of right now lies behind him. The things which make him interesting, as of right now, are why he's doing what he's doing and what brought him to that point, and I doubt we can get a satisfactory, non-simplistic answer to "Why did he murder his father and a bunch of his peers and join this guy?" in, say, ten minutes of exposition. Or twenty. I mean, I hesitate to be cynical enough to assume that they're putting together plans for a backstory movie about him, though it wouldn't be a bad approach and entirely in line with what they've been planning so far.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Kylo Ren currently invites speculation about his past because his character is in question, and his past is tied closely to other living characters (Luke, Han, Leia), at least one of whom has also conducted some unexplained actions between Ep 6 and 7 that merit further exploration.

Vader at the start of Ep4 was evil for evil's sake. He has no significant relationship with anyone besides his master, who is a big old Satan in a robe. He changes in response to finding out his son is alive and in tune with the Force, and his journey is one conducted after he is fully committed to being super evil. There is no aspect of his past that shows up in his personal journey aside from him having a son, so why look more closely at his past? Arguably the person who should be most concerned with his father's past is Luke, for fear of becoming exactly the same, and that is addressed completely through the OT (his uncle's apprehension about him becoming a fighter, Obi Wan's "lie", the encounter in the cave, Vader's initial proposition that they kill the Emperor and rule as father and son, and finally Luke's redemption of his father).

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Effectronica posted:

You're assuming that you can make a character complex without spending time on them, and that's not really the case.

You can make villains complex without ever having them speak. You, despite your derision of it, completely knee-deep in the Marvel mindset where everything needs to be explained and overexplained and have a dedicated backstory and origin and that quantity of exposition is important.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

You can make villains complex without ever having them speak. You, despite your derision of it, completely knee-deep in the Marvel mindset where everything needs to be explained and overexplained and have a dedicated backstory and origin and that quantity of exposition is important.

Who said anything about speaking? You need to spend time to show. Like, to go back to Darth Vader (not even particularly complex), in ESB, all the scenes with him choking and threatening his subordinates all serve to lead up to the final revelation that his encounter with Luke was emotionally devastating by him not doing it for once. You could cut those scenes out, and just have a voiceover or intertitles inform us that "Darth Vader is very sad now."

And we could have ten minutes of being told Character X did Y because of Z, or we could have that shown. But showing also requires increasing amounts of support in order to lend it weight, or it's just as bad as a voiceover explaining how the characters feel.

So there's a structural issue with having the big issue for the character be well in the past but also requiring them to do things in the present, and Star Wars is an action series. This is resolvable, but there's also the issue of having 2-3 other viewpoint characters to deal with. I feel that it's likely that this issue will have a simplistic resolution.

EDIT: Like, the fact that Ren is clearly emotional but subdued during the scene on the bridge, in contrast to his poised or explosive states elsewhere in the film, lends that scene weight and the character complexity.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kylo Ren has already had scenes like that though. Quite a few of them in fact. The film spends plenty of time setting up his character and thoughts and exposition. The exact reason he fell is unimportant unless it has something to do with Snoke's plot or the overall story at which point it being explained is also advancing the plot. There are countless ways they can both explain Kylo Ren's history while also advancing the story without coming at the cost to either.

And if you're expecting a 'super complex' villain then you're going to be disappointed because it isn't going to happen because a complex villain is not the same as a good, thematically appropriate and cohesive villain, especially for the context of a film. If Kylo Ren's entire backstory is "he is trying to live up to his family legacy and failing" that doesn't make him a poor character because there are still things to be said about that concept and character and how it plays out. Being able to reduce a villain's motivation to a single sentence doesn't make them a poor or lacking character.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I only wrote that the film was generic, so where did the Frankfurt School stuff come from?

(In today's right wing, 'Frankfurt School' fills a boogeyman role roughly analogous to 'Freemasonry'.)

I think people are getting confused because, yeah, no character yells out "we're gonna restore the monarchy!"

We are actually shown and told almost nothing about the Resistance. They are defined by what they aren't. They aren't liberal-democratic, they aren't 'totalitarian', they aren't authentically/radically Christian.... They aren't a lot of things.

But they are a few things, and those nuances all point to the same sort of feudalism as in Christopher Nolan's last two movies.

Leia is, pointedly, (re)introduced accompanied by her manservant. Everything stresses her nobility. And so-on. This is the ideology of the film.

Leia goes beyond the Republic (and the Rebel Alliance attempting to restore the Republic) by going Full Naboo - Naboo without Coruscant. That's why nobody gives a poo poo when the Republic is obliterated.

This is what makes her comparable to Dooku - except that, unlike Dooku, her underlying motivation is obscured.

Leia's "manservant" is her brother. Hardly good for any labor or any other task but talking. And as a force sensitive she is probably exceptionally good at languages herself already. She keeps threepio around because they share a father.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Went to see the movie a second time today with a friend who hadn't seen it before. I still really liked the movie, as did my friend on his first viewing. Kylo Ren seemed actually a bit more menacing this time, but I think the one scene I gained the most from on my second viewing was the flashback when Rey touches the lightsaber for the first time and I still don't think I "got" everything in that scene.

Some people I've talked to aren't clear on the relationship between the resistance, the First Order and the Republic. I thought the whole Nazi thing was pretty unsubtle, but either it went over a few heads or people know gently caress all about history.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My read on it, having not read the novelization or anything, is the First Order is what remnants of the empire have been reduced to, they maintain control of some outer rim areas that aren't worth it for the republic, or where the empire has superior chatting data and can't easily be kept in check, and the republic doesn't want to spend the resources on a full blown war. Leia is not cool with this and forms a resistance to fight them in the outer rim, the republic doesn't want then showing either so they find or implicitly support the resistance.

My read on Snoke is he was a powerful force user for quite some time who laid low from both the south and the Jedi during the time of the Jedi order, then laid low from the powerful emperor during the days of the empire. With the sith dead and the empire reduced in strength he easily took it over for his own purposes, and really the only threat left if Luke which is why the order pursues him.

This is what I thought coming out of the movie before reading any of this, an I not of less correct with the novelization?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My money's on Kylo Ren having been molested by Han and probably also Luke. He'll be the protagonist in Part VIII and finish carrying out his revenge, a la I Spit on Your Grave.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I asked this before but why isn't Anakin just doing a force ghost or whatever projection and tell Kylo Ren to stop? Would solve a lot of problems. Seems odd to not that long ago have a cluster of force ghosts waving and smiling at Luke but now they've all buggered off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe that was a scene they had planned. In the art book it talks about Anakin's ghost being a weird hybrid of Vader and Anakin suggesting that when he died, he wasn't fully turned from the darkside

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My money's on Kylo Ren having been molested by Han and probably also Luke. He'll be the protagonist in Part VIII and finish carrying out his revenge, a la I Spit on Your Grave.

Lmao, I'm definitely telling this to people unironically when they start talking to me about their dumb theories.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I only wrote that the film was generic, so where did the Frankfurt School stuff come from?

(In today's right wing, 'Frankfurt School' fills a boogeyman role roughly analogous to 'Freemasonry'.)
Lmao. Why didn't you just say that you didn't know what I was talking about?

The Frankfurt School, well specifically Adorno, Benjamin, and Horkheimer, believe that (in the most simple explanation) the 'culture industry' produces content designed to be homogenous and mass produced in order to maximize profit and minimize expression.

Your argument is one that has been made about basically every box office smash of the past 50 years, because according to acolytes of the Frankfurt School, films designed to make money are designed with that end in mind--rather than on artistic merit or the pursuit of beauty alone and thus subjugated into an efficiency logic in which they are designed to create the most money possible and conform to as many societal norms as they can.

This has been successful argued against by scholars, regardless of ideology, as a lazy critique of art in the context of capitalism and an elitist appeal to high culture vs. common culture.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 30, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

straight up brolic posted:

Lmao. Why didn't you just say that you didn't know what I was talking about?

The Frankfurt School, well specifically Adorno, Benjamin, and Horkheimer, believe that (in the most simple explanation) the 'culture industry' produces content designed to be homogenous and mass produced in order to maximize profit and minimize expression.

Your argument is one that has been made about basically every box office smash of the past 50 years, because according to acolytes of the Frankfurt School, films designed to make money are designed with that end in mind--rather than on artistic merit or the pursuit of beauty alone and thus subjugated into an efficiency logic in which they are designed to create the most money possible and conform to as many societal norms as they can.

This has been successful argued against by scholars, regardless of ideology, as a lazy critique of art in the context of capitalism and an elitist appeal to high culture vs. common culture.

I didn't say anything about deliberateness.

What are you reacting to?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Athletic Footjob posted:

I asked this before but why isn't Anakin just doing a force ghost or whatever projection and tell Kylo Ren to stop? Would solve a lot of problems. Seems odd to not that long ago have a cluster of force ghosts waving and smiling at Luke but now they've all buggered off.

Maybe it's hard to commune with someone who is mentally unstable.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Gonz posted:

If they're looking for a young Han Solo, they should probably get this kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

He's already portrayed a youthful Harrison Ford once in a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqxTfzgIvSY

He doesn't seem bad, and both JJ and Disney like to bring in "new" actors.

Either way, I hope that the Han Solo movie is well done, and brings forth a good story. Not just a predictable story about how he had to turn to smuggling or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

Maybe it's hard to commune with someone who is mentally unstable.

The idea that Kylo is merely insane has become this sort of meme that rejects the only interesting characterization in the film.

Kylo does not have random outbursts of rage. He is actually trying very hard to 'make himself angry' in order to frighten his subordinates. During these scenes, the film invariably cuts to the reaction of some toady, who ends up completely unharmed. That's Kylo's audience. Crucially, during these scenes, Kylo is wearing the mask - the same mask he tosses away in the end. Unlike Vader, who was the mask, Kylo is only honest when he removes his mask.

But Kylo is not rejecting the ethical stance the mask stands for. Rather, he has embraced Vader's teachings and has moved beyond the need for a mask.

Kylo can't see 'force ghosts' because 'force ghosts' are simply memories. Kylo has never actually met Vader.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kylo can't see 'force ghosts' because 'force ghosts' are simply memories. Kylo has never actually met Vader.

Ah HA! So you concede that Hayden Christensen's force ghost makes no sense. Bravo.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Ah HA! So you concede that Hayden Christensen's force ghost makes no sense. Bravo.

Luke did meet Vader/Anakin?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Looks like the novelization answers a whole lot of questions the movie didn't (and raises new ones, too):

http://www.mashable.com/2015/12/29/force-awakens-novel/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The idea that Kylo is merely insane has become this sort of meme that rejects the only interesting characterization in the film.

Kylo does not have random outbursts of rage. He is actually trying very hard to 'make himself angry' in order to frighten his subordinates. During these scenes, the film invariably cuts to the reaction of some toady, who ends up completely unharmed. That's Kylo's audience. Crucially, during these scenes, Kylo is wearing the mask - the same mask he tosses away in the end. Unlike Vader, who was the mask, Kylo is only honest when he removes his mask.

But Kylo is not rejecting the ethical stance the mask stands for. Rather, he has embraced Vader's teachings and has moved beyond the need for a mask.

drat, didn't realize my random thought would trigger you. Lmao.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

teagone posted:

drat, didn't realize my random thought would trigger you. Lmao.

Nice..."trigger" joke, hot HOt stuff

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One of my favorite lines from Finn is "You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?" Stormtrooper programming can't defeat a dude's boner :lol:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Poor Finn probably never got asked to dance at First Order middle school parties.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

One of my favorite lines from Finn is "You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?" Stormtrooper programming can't defeat a dude's boner :lol:

Finn is by far the best thing about the movie and his reactions and facial expressions make every scene he's in a lot better.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

In the art book it talks about Anakin's ghost being a weird hybrid of Vader and Anakin suggesting that when he died, he wasn't fully turned from the darkside

...what if that's what Snoke is?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Snoke doesn't look like a person or a robot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, clearly, they had to use CGI for that kind of stuff because it would be impossible not to (unless they wanted to go back to motion-control cameras and models, which not even Disney is crazy enough to want to do). The movie isn't zealously CGI-phobic or anything, obviously.

But it seems like the creative process for this movie was probably something like "Let's scout some real-world locations and see which ones look the coolest" -- whereas for the prequels, it was "Let's come up with some cool planetary locations, and then figure out how to create them." I know a lot of people genuinely think the former method is superior. But I think we're at the point in cinema now where we shouldn't have to do that anymore if we don't want to. I guess I have to give J.J. and co. the benefit of the doubt and assume they genuinely wanted to, though.

Lucas was also never afraid of using digital technology to radically tamper with the lighting and coloring of a scene until he got the exact look he wanted, treating every scene basically as if it were just the first draft of a painting on canvas. But J.J., as he has emphasized himself many times in interviews, seems to still be very attached to the idea of using natural light whenever humanly possible. Which perhaps does give everything a more natural, realistic look--but it's also a more mundane, and less romantic look. For obvious reasons, it all just feels like Earth. I personally don't think that's what Star Wars is all about.

But again, this wasn't incompetence on anybody's part. I know it's exactly what they wanted.

The move away from the artificial and frankly amatuer looking visuals of the prequels is one of my favorite things about TFA. It feels like epic film-making, there's a romanticism involved with filming in real desert dunes that can't be replicated by computers or CGI.

EDIT:

Hollismason posted:

What he's saying about Dooku is totally on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXHDpCe-KI

There's the conversation. Dooku tells the truth to Obi Wan.

Jesus christ this is a tedious scene.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

The move away from the artificial and frankly amatuer looking visuals of the prequels is one of my favorite things about TFA. It feels like epic film-making, there's a romanticism involved with filming in real desert dunes that can't be replicated by computers or CGI.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Star...W7lCTgQ_AUIBygC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They used a lot of practical sets and miniatures in the prequels that ended up looking like poo poo CGI as well as actual poo poo CGI.

• Locked thread