Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

heeheex2 posted:

How do they not get shut down instantly?

RCMP doesn't have jurisdiction in Vancouver, and VPD has pretty much openly stated they don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

less than three posted:

RCMP doesn't have jurisdiction in Vancouver, and VPD has pretty much openly stated they don't care.

They issued a statement saying enforcing federal drug laws is stupid and pointless:

http://www.vancourier.com/illegal-pot-shops-not-a-vpd-priority-1.663095

They also outline guidelines for them:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2014/09/03/Vancouver-Police-Release-Informal-Guidelines-Illegal-Medical-Marijuana-Dispensari

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

less than three posted:

Ah, that`s the difference in Nanaimo. The RCMP raided some shops and put others on notice. On the one hand, I don`t think their hearts are in it; on the other hand things were getting out of hand. Pot shops were springing up like mushrooms after a fall rain, and it rains constantly in the fall here. No naturopaths needed, you just had to be over 19. A local rag (probably owned by Lord Jailbird of Fraud Harbour) reported that one shop had a barker outside to drum up business. :wtc:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I could go into pretty exhaustive detail about the current state of weed regulation in Canada, as it is now a thing I do for a living, if anybody has questions!

And yes, it makes me laugh when CI starts frothing about weed. :allears:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
What, like there isn't a backlog they could help with?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It looks like prison farms may make a return.

http://www.myprescottnow.com/1315/prison-farm-to-re-open-in-kingston/

quote:

Long-time supporters of a federal prison farm program in Kingston are looking forward to the day when the animals will be returning to jail. The farm that ran out of the Frontenac Institution was once considered one of Canada’s best run dairy operations. It was shut down five years ago, after then-minister of public safety Vic Toews said inmates were not learning any relevant skills on the farm.

The animals were sold off, many of them to a grass-roots co-op with supporters like Margaret Atwood and Conrad Black. Mark Gerretsen, MP for Kingston and the Islands, says the decision to close the farm was weird and short-sighted. Working with the animals gave inmates core skills of teamwork, independence and responsibility.

Gerretsen is going to make sure the government follows through on its commitment to reopen the prison farm, at Collins Bay Penitentiary. The vision for the new farm is smaller scale, with opportunities for green energy, growing food for the homeless and food banks in Kingston.

Unfortunately there's no timeline mentioned in this story, but it looks like the Liberals are planning to bring at least this farm back.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

PT6A posted:

I want St. Hubert to come west and crush the life out of Swiss Chalet and their lovely garbage chicken. Putt-putt-BANG-BANG, motherfuckers!

You know, I'm starting to realize that 99% of the things I miss about Montreal are either food or booze.

St. Hubert is poo poo. One appeared here (for the second time) a couple of years ago and it failed because after the novelty wore off people realized it was shittier than KFC. Now there's a Mary Brown's which is arguably better. And our Swiss Chalet appeared almost a decade ago. Not that Swiss Chalet is good, but that should give you perspective of how bad St. Hubert is.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

less than three posted:

I can't think of any legal reason an RCMP officer couldn't arrest and charge you in the middle of Vancouver.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

El Scotch posted:

I can't think of any legal reason an RCMP officer couldn't arrest and charge you in the middle of Vancouver.

There isn't one, but cops on both sides would recognize it as a really dickish thing to do. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the RCMP enforcement in that area were something less than vigorous, diligent or professional. You know, beyond what we're used to.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

El Scotch posted:

They could but there aren't any RCMP detachments there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cowofwar posted:

They could but there aren't any RCMP detachments there.

Hrm.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You're conflating the area generally known as Vancouver with the City of Vancouver. Yeah, it wouldn't be a big deal to drive into Vancouver but they're still not going to unless called on.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

For some reason divisional headquarters are frequently in cities where the RCMP has no general policing role. K Division HQ is right in the middle of Edmonton, but since EPS exists there's no street-level Mounties until you get to the suburbs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

There is no reason, but that assumes that a given RCMP officer would give a flying gently caress about you smoking weed, which they generally would not.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

There is no reason, but that assumes that a given RCMP officer would give a flying gently caress about you smoking weed, which they generally would not.

Unless that weed makes you look like a potential terrorist, in which case they will spend years and millions of dollars attempting to get you to blow yourself and your cat up.

Yeah I have literally zero faith in the RCMP at all these days in being able to protect us from any real threat since they cant even protect us from their own incompetence. :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

Unless that weed makes you look like a potential terrorist, in which case they will spend years and millions of dollars attempting to get you to blow yourself and your cat up.

Yeah I have literally zero faith in the RCMP at all these days in being able to protect us from any real threat since they cant even protect us from their own incompetence. :smith:

Frankly it seems like people in this thread can't draw a distinction between the part of the RCMP that goes on wild goose chases and generally has their head up their rear end, and the part of the RCMP that provides vital community policing in places that would otherwise basically have no police protection. The average officer patrolling some inaccessible northern village doesn't give a poo poo about weed or baiting terrorists or any of that, and it sort of pisses me off to see the two completely different parts of the organisation treated as if they're the same.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arivia posted:

I'm so sad Stuart had to cancel this year's Christmas tour. :(

But yeah, the Vinyl Cafe is a national treasure and there's a lot of stuff worth listening to on Radio 1 that isn't caller radio.

I grew up listening to CBC1 and I'll not have anyone speak ill of it.

Except Cross Country Checkup, which is terrible except for serving a useful reminder of how dumb a large portion of our populace is.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Frankly it seems like people in this thread can't draw a distinction between the part of the RCMP that goes on wild goose chases and generally has their head up their rear end, and the part of the RCMP that provides vital community policing in places that would otherwise basically have no police protection. The average officer patrolling some inaccessible northern village doesn't give a poo poo about weed or baiting terrorists or any of that, and it sort of pisses me off to see the two completely different parts of the organisation treated as if they're the same.

Many organizations become shittier at higher organizational levels, where their theoretical mandate differs from what some other force is compelling them to do.

vvvv also that

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

nah they care about getting the gently caress out of the lovely reservation they're stationed in and catching on with a real police force once they get their couple years in with the mounties

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

nah they care about getting the gently caress out of the lovely reservation they're stationed in and catching on with a real police force once they get their couple years in with the mounties

That's not true. My friend is stationed in Pukatawagan right now, and it was his choice to take that posting because the detachment was understaffed and he takes his job and consequent responsibility to society seriously, and he actually wants to help people.

Yeah, there are lovely RCMP officers, but that doesn't mean every officer should be treated as if they're some pin-dicked moron with a taser fetish stationed at YVR.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope Lord Conrad Black of Crossharbour takes over hosting duties for Cross Country Checkup.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

That's not true. My friend is stationed in Pukatawagan right now, and it was his choice to take that posting because the detachment was understaffed and he takes his job and consequent responsibility to society seriously, and he actually wants to help people.

Yeah, there are lovely RCMP officers, but that doesn't mean every officer should be treated as if they're some pin-dicked moron with a taser fetish stationed at YVR.

I don't think the people who go to the middle of nowhere with the goal of getting a job with a city police force are pin-dicked morons or even lovely officers, I just think they're doing what they need to do to get a better job.

RCMP officers don't get paid enough to make those jobs desirable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

There's nothing wrong with not being a lifer, and I knew a few really good guys who were short-timers and not lovely people. Some of them even went on to become gravel road cops.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

You know, I'm starting to realize that 99% of the things I miss about Montreal are either food or booze.

those are literally the biggest selling points to living in montreal, asided from the Culture.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Leofish posted:

It looks like prison farms may make a return.

http://www.myprescottnow.com/1315/prison-farm-to-re-open-in-kingston/

Unfortunately there's no timeline mentioned in this story, but it looks like the Liberals are planning to bring at least this farm back.

Better that than having the whole area eaten up in condo development.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes they are. My buddy loves his job, won't shut up about it, and he gets paid quite decently.

It's not the sort of job I'd take personally, but there's no amount of compensation that would make me reconsider that anyway. It definitely requires a certain personality, though. He's the sort of guy who goes winter-camping and can't understand why the rest of us don't want to come with him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think the people who go to the middle of nowhere with the goal of getting a job with a city police force are pin-dicked morons or even lovely officers, I just think they're doing what they need to do to get a better job.

RCMP officers make drat good money and get good pensions. The lovely thing about the job is moving all the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Monaghan posted:

RCMP officers make drat good money and get good pensions. The lovely thing about the job is moving all the time.

The pay is good, but it's not better than any other police service where you don't have to move all the time or live in a remote community.

I'm making the assumption that the people in the running for RCMP jobs would also be in the running for other police jobs (they aren't, that's why people go to places like Chemawawin and Flin Flon).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
CBC's list of the top 5 blunders in CanPol this year

Not disagreeing with their choice for 4.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

That list is silly, here is the Ikantski list.

1. Tom Mulcair announces a balanced budget.
2. Harper doesn't burn CBC to the ground while he had the chance.
3. Trudeau promises 25k refugees in 2015.
4. Wynne privatizes Hydro One.
5. Harper doesn't resign before the election.

Eve Adams doesn't even register, it proved completely irrelevant. Same applies with anything to do with May.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Franks Happy Place posted:

I could go into pretty exhaustive detail about the current state of weed regulation in Canada, as it is now a thing I do for a living, if anybody has questions!

And yes, it makes me laugh when CI starts frothing about weed. :allears:

Yes please. If you're up for a big effort post, I'd like to learn more from someone who knows what they're talking about. CI rage is just a bonus.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

May said she should have realized she was "too sleep deprived" to pull off what she intended to be an "edgy" attempt at humour.

Ikantski posted:

That list is silly, here is the Ikantski list.

1. Tom Mulcair announces a balanced budget.
2. Harper doesn't burn CBC to the ground while he had the chance.
3. Trudeau promises 25k refugees in 2015.
4. Wynne privatizes Hydro One.
5. Harper doesn't resign before the election.

Eve Adams doesn't even register, it proved completely irrelevant. Same applies with anything to do with May.

Really? Wynne isn't #1 on your list? Something seems fishy about that.

Anyway strictly political stuff.

1. Tom Mulcair's performance during the election.
2. Tom Mulcair's performance after the election.
3. Harper not resigning before the election.
4. The candidate vetting and the reaction by the parties to some of the "scandals"... sometimes overreactions, sometimes underreactions.
5. The Liberal promises on the whole.

Honorable mention to everything Elizabeth May and the Green party did, but especially her not resigning and that joke of a costed platform they put out.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think the alberta tories calling an election ahead of schedule and going from majority to third party is probably an honourable mention, for a blunder

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

infernal machines posted:

Does St. Hubert even exist any more? I haven't seen one in Ontario for at least five years.

A story I heard was St. Hubert pulled out of Ontario and Swiss Chalet pulled out of Quebec. Dunno if it's true.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

The Goon posted:

Two guys I went to school with just became the Chiefs of Staff to two different ministers. drat. Hey bunny, how do I get in on this sweet gig?

<-- Went to school with Ian Brodie.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I think you mean loving awesome.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Number one political blunder: legalizing weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah idk how 3 people can make 3 different lists of "blunders" without any mention of Jim Prentice utterly dumpstering his own political career and a 40 year long conservative dynasty. That tops the list as far as I'm concerned.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 30, 2015