Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good thing they all signed off on American citizens being spied on so they won't care if their own private correspondences end up in an NSA database

And yeah I'd be mad if we DIDN'T have close tabs on Bibi and his cobort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

friendly heads of state.

Netanyahu's been about as friendly as Ahmadinejad and I would say there's a conceivable interest in keeping tabs on possible attempts to derail a major peace accord with one of the main regional powers.

Well, yeah. Bibi was specifically excluded from the list of "friendly people we're going to stop spying on totally for real". The issue is more that the surveillance net was catching members of the legislature and used for intelligence briefs to the rest of the executive branch. Also the oversight was even less than usual; they left the decision of what to include up to the discretion of the NSA itself.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tobermory posted:

Well, yeah. Bibi was specifically excluded from the list of "friendly people we're going to stop spying on totally for real". The issue is more that the surveillance net was catching members of the legislature and used for intelligence briefs to the rest of the executive branch. Also the oversight was even less than usual; they left the decision of what to include up to the discretion of the NSA itself.

Watch it turn out the only legislators it picked up were the usual assholes, discussing ways to derail the talks and planning poo poo like that ridiculous letter about the separation of powers.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I fully support spying on and antagonizing Israel.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe we'll never know the motives of these lone wolf shooters hellraisers but let's not dwell on the fact that nobody ever vandalizes a "CHEAP COLD BEER" banner or a "GRAND OPENING" sign but somehow these lone wolves hacked the word "black" out of a sign for totally race-agnostic shits and giggles.

quote:

Of course they disagree with BLM

I'm sure there's plenty of these vandals who are genuinely stormfronters or what-have-youe. Trying to extrapolate that to how most people who haven't seen or lived through endemic lovely situations firsthand with the cops must react "black lives matter" is a vain enterprise. Most of it is really a misunderstanding of what BLM means or incredulity that it can't possibly be that bad, no way, not in America, this is America, land of the free, man. If it was this bad I would've been hearing about it everyday first thing on the news and cops would be condemning the ones who crossed the line, y'know dawg?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Nope.

I take it you haven't been around many racists who literally wish death on all black people, have you?

The people reducing Tamir Rice as a "thug doing thug things" as has been mentioned in this very topic would not mind or even be delighted at the systematic elimination of black people in America.

I've been around some, but I haven't been around many because there aren't many as a percentage of the American populace. Literal stormfront and /pol/ aren't the majority of Americans or people who misunderstand BLM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It doesn't take a no-poo poo neo-nazi to be a garden-variety racist, hth

e: And trying to pigeonhole racism into a neat little hitler-heiling hugo boss uniform is another signature con move of the hate movement. Characterizing racism as only being genuine if you're snapping your heels together and sporting a toothbrush moustache means typical racists can breathe a little easier because they aren't actual racists like those hitlers are and how dare anyone accuse them of being a nazi.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 30, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Literal stormfront and /pol/ aren't the majority of Americans or people who misunderstand BLM.

No, they're much worse because there are a lot of them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

How dare the NSA spy on foreign nationals, especially if said foreigners are heads of state and have shown a tendency to sabotage American policy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Crowsbeak posted:

How dare the NSA spy on foreign nationals, especially if said foreigners are heads of state and have shown a tendency to sabotage American policy.

yeah for real.

I get why people get pissy about the NSA spying on Americans. I disagree, but I get it.

but like, it baffles me that people object to us spying on foreign countries and foreign heads of state. that's literally the original purpose of intelligence agencies.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah for real.

I get why people get pissy about the NSA spying on Americans. I disagree, but I get it.

but like, it baffles me that people object to us spying on foreign countries and foreign heads of state. that's literally the original purpose of intelligence agencies.

It's because they are doing this with a lot of leeway and very little oversight. Usually this kind of thing has not ended well for anyone involved not to mention the targets. Extraordinary rendition and enhanced interrogation techniques are recent and obvious examples of why that is bad.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah for real.

Do you get why the NSA spying on members of Congress is different than the NSA spying on ordinary Americans? Even aside from violating the balance of powers, Congress is (theoretically) in charge of making sure that the NSA doesn't exceed their legal bounds.

If the NSA inadvertently spies on members of Congress while spying on foreign heads of state, it's problematic when they keep the information they collected and pass it on to the President. It's particularly problematic when the Congresspersons they're spying on are political opponents of the President and actively working to oppose him.

Also in this case, the NSA's usual levels of almost non-existent oversight were actually lowered -- the administration wanted the intel but didn't want to directly give the order to spy on Congress, so they went with the policy of not asking questions and trusting the NSA not to do anything illegal. This policy is dubious at best.

I'm personally glad that we're keeping tabs on Bibi. Not only do I not object, I encourage it. I'm less happy about the President surveilling his political opponents and using the collected intelligence to advance his policy goals.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Watch it turn out the only legislators it picked up were the usual assholes, discussing ways to derail the talks and planning poo poo like that ridiculous letter about the separation of powers.

So you're basically taking the Trump supporter position that rights(like the right to privacy) are only for people you like? And the NSA spying on legislators is totally cool with you because they're the (in your opinion) crappy ones?

Do you just not care that much about civil liberties and separation of powers or do you just really, really hate Israel?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

So you're basically taking the Trump supporter position that rights(like the right to privacy) are only for people you like? And the NSA spying on legislators is totally cool with you because they're the (in your opinion) crappy ones?

Do you just not care that much about civil liberties and separation of powers or do you just really, really hate Israel?

Israel doesn't respect the civil rights of its people or its politicians, or of foreign people and politicians. So why should anyone care about Bibi's rights?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 30, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

the_paradigm_shift posted:

It's because they are doing this with a lot of leeway and very little oversight. Usually this kind of thing has not ended well for anyone involved not to mention the targets. Extraordinary rendition and enhanced interrogation techniques are recent and obvious examples of why that is bad.

You sure that's what's happening here? Can't read past the pay wall but it sounds more like while surveilling they also picked up conversations that the Israel was having with Congress reps just as a matter of course.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why are US congressmen consulting with foreign legislators to undermine diplomacy?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So will the GOP pursue this or will they try to brush it under the rug since it doesn't involve Hillary

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

baw posted:

So will the GOP pursue this or will they try to brush it under the rug since it doesn't involve Hillary

Why not pursue this AND make it a slam on Hillary somehow?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Bullfrog posted:

Where did you find these images? I want to share this with some people.

For that post I just did a GIS for unitarian vandalism (which should in theory also catch photos of vandalism by unitarians), but I was aware of them from following the Unitarian Universalist Association and Standing on the Side of Love facebook pages (mostly the latter). I think most of the photos themselves were on local news sites where the vandalism occurred.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 30, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I know the thread's moved on but I feel compelled to comment on the fact that when Affluenza Kid's mom whisked him off to Mexico, they ended up in loving Puerto Vallerta, literally a resort town.

They were also found because she used her cell phone to order Domino's

In Mexico

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any good articles with an overview of affluenza kid and his hosed up family?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trent posted:

For those correcting or directly responding to BLM with ALM I agree. Like the other poster above, my mother used ALM honestly thinking she was just being even more inclusive and progressive. It was a stupid but honest mistake. In her case, all it took was showing her the all houses matter comic for her to realize that the statement, while actually very positive in a vacuum, is incredibly tone-deaf and racist sounding in the current climate.

And that was the bigot vs buffoon distinction I was making earlier. One is testing you to see if you'd be down with dropping some n-bombs together, while the other is well meaning but naïve. In other words one is worth engaging with about it.

It is. Last year, I recall seeing a church with both "black lives matter" and "all lives matter" signs up. They contributed to the marches. They were a queer-friendly church and to them, "all lives matter" was up because of the underreported police violence against LGBTQ people.
Similarly, we had people show up to protests with "I <3 Ferguson" stuff. They had it as a response to the national media portraying Ferguson as a hell-hole and their meaning for the slogan was that they loved their community and therefore wanted to improve it by fighting injustice in it. They were genuinely surprised that the slogan was being slowly co-opted by people who meant "I <3 White Ferguson" by it.

Assuming the worst of people and dismissing them as "the enemy" automatically is not fair or productive.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Assuming the worst of people and dismissing them as "the enemy" automatically is not fair or productive.

Especially when the discussion spreads primarily through social networking services that have demographic biases. A lot of people, especially (but not exclusively) older people, just haven't gotten the memo yet when something has acquired an additional meaning that they certainly would not intend.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Hey is there a twitter channel or facebook page which organizes this stuff? I want to get on board tomorrow but don't feel like wandering around public square like a dumbass, tia

I have no clue.

I was working downtown last night, that's how I knew what was going on.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tobermory posted:

Do you get why the NSA spying on members of Congress is different than the NSA spying on ordinary Americans? Even aside from violating the balance of powers, Congress is (theoretically) in charge of making sure that the NSA doesn't exceed their legal bounds.

If the NSA inadvertently spies on members of Congress while spying on foreign heads of state, it's problematic when they keep the information they collected and pass it on to the President. It's particularly problematic when the Congresspersons they're spying on are political opponents of the President and actively working to oppose him.

Also in this case, the NSA's usual levels of almost non-existent oversight were actually lowered -- the administration wanted the intel but didn't want to directly give the order to spy on Congress, so they went with the policy of not asking questions and trusting the NSA not to do anything illegal. This policy is dubious at best.

I'm personally glad that we're keeping tabs on Bibi. Not only do I not object, I encourage it. I'm less happy about the President surveilling his political opponents and using the collected intelligence to advance his policy goals.

Good thing I wasn't talking about spying on congress then!

Because that is super problematic, deliberate or no.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Why not pursue this AND make it a slam on Hillary somehow?

might be crazy enough to work

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

SLOSifl posted:

"All lives matter" is like protesting Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a sign that says "All Cancer Awareness Month".

That's actually a valid concern in the cancer world so you might want to pick a different analogy.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
All houses matter is already a perfect analogy, why do we need to make more worse ones.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm sorry, but the kind of person that would vandalize a church over rhetorical confusion is, to me, just as dangerous as someone doing it explicitly for racial spite.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SLOSifl posted:

"All lives matter" is like protesting Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a sign that says "All Cancer Awareness Month".

That's not a good analogy with pinkwashing and Susan G. Komen sucking up all your money to line their pockets in the name of breast cancer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe if someone put up a sign that said "Colorectal Cancer Kills" after a family member died from Colorectral cancer, and then someone cut out Colorectal.

Edit:

If we were to travel back in time to when Breast Cancer really did need an awareness campaign, the Breast Cancer analogy would apply.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stultus Maximus posted:

This, by the way, is why it's so much more satisfying to be conservative than leftist. Conservatives circle the wagons around each other (not their leaders necessarily, see Paul *D* Ryan), leftists form circular firing squads.

If I'm a Trump supporter, a Jeb! supporter may roll their eyes but still feel some sort of fellowship with me. If I'm a Hillary supporter, Bernie folks will salt my lawn and spray paint "SHILLARY" on my house and doxx my MLP fanart to my boss.

If you are a white leftist you definitely self-hate to some degree.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Vitamin C matters, therefore no other nutrients are necessary.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

baw posted:

Vitamin C matters, therefore no other nutrients are necessary.

Please don't detract from the serious Vitamin D deficiency prevalent in a large portion of the US population.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Please don't detract from the serious Vitamin D deficiency prevalent in a large portion of the US population.

All vitamins matter. :smug:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Thanks, Dr. Kellogg.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bill Cosby just got charged with sexual assault in Pennsylvania stemming from a 2004 incident

money quote:

quote:

After the Temple employee, Andrea Constand, accused Cosby of the crime in Montgomery County, a prosecutor decided in 2005 that charges weren't warranted in the case. But that prosecutor lost his reelection bid last month to Kevin Steele, who made pursuing charges against Cosby an issue in his campaign.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Presidential candidates are fighting to keep the All House.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gravel Gravy posted:

Thanks, Dr. Kellogg.

God damnit I laughed at this way harder than I should have.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Radbot posted:

This, by the way, is why it's so much more satisfying to be conservative than leftist. Conservatives circle the wagons around each other (not their leaders necessarily, see Paul *D* Ryan), leftists form circular firing squads.

If I'm a Trump supporter, a Jeb! supporter may roll their eyes but still feel some sort of fellowship with me. If I'm a Hillary supporter, Bernie folks will salt my lawn and spray paint "SHILLARY" on my house and doxx my MLP fanart to my boss.

If you are a white leftist you definitely self-hate to some degree.
This seems like a really common meme (among leftists, and especially left-moderates), but I really don't think it's true. Conservatives are just as likely to attack each other and demand purity tests as progressives-- the Tea Party's continued existence is predicated on the idea that the GOP Establishment is a pack of centrist fakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm sure there's plenty of these vandals who are genuinely stormfronters or what-have-youe. Trying to extrapolate that to how most people who haven't seen or lived through endemic lovely situations firsthand with the cops must react "black lives matter" is a vain enterprise. Most of it is really a misunderstanding of what BLM means or incredulity that it can't possibly be that bad, no way, not in America, this is America, land of the free, man. If it was this bad I would've been hearing about it everyday first thing on the news and cops would be condemning the ones who crossed the line, y'know dawg?

I know SOOO many people who this is literally the case. They have bought into the illusion of a just world that they literally can't comprehend that it is not the case for a lot of people. Privilege, its a hell of a drug.

• Locked thread