Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I made a thing. I like my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What spell is that dagger for

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I know right? That's a terrible caster weapon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Fakener.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
That's a loving amazing CoC weapon.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The gist of that dagger is you use it with cast on crit cyclone discharge, called fakener because it used to be a "fake mjolner" build back when mjolner builds were the better way to use discharge. Not the case anymore, which is why mjolners are so cheap. Daggers are fast and have bonus chance to crit, so they are the best base weapon for this. You're just trying to crit as frequently as possible, the damage of the hits from the dagger itself aren't what matters. You start with a dagger from vagan, which has the hits can't be evaded mod. That's huge because now you don't have to care about accuracy as a stat whatsoever and can just focus on stacking more crit chance, crit multiplier, and spell damage bonuses on your other gear slots. The build wears voll's protector, which gives you a power charge every time you crit. Running cyclone, cast on crit, discharge, blade vortex, every time you crit, you discharge all your power charges for a poo poo load of lightning damage. It also stacks up blade vortex, which is only there because it hits many times very quickly for even more crits, to stack even more power charges. This leads to whole bunches of discharges being cast over and over, all loaded with power charges.

If you're rich as gently caress, you add in voll's devotion, which gives you an endurance charge every time a power charge is spent. Now discharge starts dealing poo poo loads of fire damage too since you're now generating tons of endurance charges with your power charges. I think it's the most powerful build in the game right now and wouldn't be surprised at all if they made discharge not work with cast on crit at some point in the future. It used to be a very wealth gated build since it didn't take off until you had voll's devotion, but with the addition of blade vortex in the last update, now the build is very strong even without voll's devotion and just goes completely off the charts if you do get it.

What I'm saying is, check your vagan's inventory every time he levels up or you do his daily mission. If he's selling a dagger with the hits cannot be evaded mod, it is worth quite a lot right now and you should sell that poo poo. You don't even have to craft it, the blue base is worth a lot by itself. I'm not sure if it is profitable to craft it up yourself and sell the finished product - who knows, it might be, do your homework.

J fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

Holy crap, very nice!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Vasudus posted:

Holy crit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda want to do that now since I've gotten a Voll's Protector in normal or cruel in every league I've played anyway.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Vasudus posted:

Fakener.

Nice dagger! Did you find a fakener build pretty easy to level? I got bored of my Talisman ice crash guy so I'm trying Mathil's fakener build, but i'm not sure if it's viable before a big investment - I've only got a 4L Voll's Protector and basic butcher knife Vagan dagger.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

J posted:

What I'm saying is, check your vagan's inventory every time he levels up or you do his daily mission. If he's selling a dagger with the hits cannot be evaded mod, it is worth quite a lot right now and you should sell that poo poo. You don't even have to craft it, the blue base is worth a lot by itself. I'm not sure if it is profitable to craft it up yourself and sell the finished product - who knows, it might be, do your homework.
I thought you were kidding, it's just a master item, right? I've already got one myself. Then I checked poe.trade and :stare:

I'm really going to have to try the fakener build at this point. I was doing dried lake runs last night to get up to mapping levels (got there at 62) and someone joined in with the build and everything exploded horribly :supaburn:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm kind of worrying about how they'll nerf fakener because the nerf's likely to impact other coc builds, even those not banking on the insanity that is Blade Vortex + Voll's Protector + Discharge

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Blade Vortex is the main offender right now, CoC has always been strong but very glass cannon-ish without perfect gear. Blade Vortex + PCoC/Voll's doesn't change the survivability but amps up the damage to even more absurd levels so nothing lives long enough to kill you. Blade Vortex + PCoC also is a infinite source of power charges for any other melee build, with little upkeep required.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
So what's the best skill to use while leveling to 65 before your cast on crit build starts working?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ronya posted:

I'm kind of worrying about how they'll nerf fakener because the nerf's likely to impact other coc builds, even those not banking on the insanity that is Blade Vortex + Voll's Protector + Discharge

Make blade vortex only generate a charge based on the oldest blade, rather than each blade. That'll completely nuke charge generation and kill the build dead.

I'll write up a post talking about fakener when I get home in a few hours.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Washout posted:

So what's the best skill to use while leveling to 65 before your cast on crit build starts working?
With an Ungil's Harmony and a lucky 5-link that includes Increased Critical Strikes, my CoC build has been working since at least level 50. Probably not at the highest possible speed, but I really like starting a build as soon as possible so I can learn what makes it tick and enjoy the big leaps in effectiveness as the pieces come together.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Washout posted:

You can start CoC pretty early if you want, way before 65. But any of the phys spells are really solid to level with, or just Flame Totem in a Night's Hold(super boring but strong)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I could see them slapping damage effectiveness onto the chance to generate power charges.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's probably actually Voll's protector that needs nerfed and not the support gem or blade vortex hth

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

It's probably actually Voll's protector that needs nerfed and not the support gem or blade vortex hth

Blade vortex generating basically infinite power charges is pretty crazy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Ahh yes because without blade vortex this build is godly like it is with blade vortex :rolleyes:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
my crit LA ranger just reached level 78 in the middle of a Dried Lake when I was suddenly seized by an intense feeling of ennui

just... wow, this is boring. Non-frustrating now that I have 4k lmp+chain tooltip rather than 1.6k, but still drab to play, and the next gear improvements cost tons of jewelers and fusings. I just ain't feeling it.

is this what fuels alt-itis

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ronya posted:

my crit LA ranger just reached level 78 in the middle of a Dried Lake when I was suddenly seized by an intense feeling of ennui

just... wow, this is boring. Non-frustrating now that I have 4k lmp+chain tooltip rather than 1.6k, but still drab to play, and the next gear improvements cost tons of jewelers and fusings. I just ain't feeling it.

This usually happens to me in Act 4 also. It's a major effort struggle for me to try and kill those annoying rear end bosses in anything past Normal. SO i have like 20 characters

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I made this a couple days ago using a dagger Vagan was selling and now I'm gonna have to make a fakener. I'm wondering though if this dagger is worth re-crafting later when I have the currency to multi-craft it, or if I should just resell and find something already crafted like the one Vasudus posted. I could give it crit multi or spell damage, but I don't know how big a negative the 47 mana is, or if that attack speed is too low.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Larry Parrish posted:

This usually happens to me in Act 4 also. It's a major effort struggle for me to try and kill those annoying rear end bosses in anything past Normal. SO i have like 20 characters

see, those are achievable goals for me. I can tweak a build so that I can stomp on Merc Dominus.

but map bosses, ehhhh.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Finally got my lowlife Vaal Sparker up high enough to wear most of the gear, and holy poo poo Vaal Spark gets really dumb once you have high enough crit. It also must be one of the only builds in the game that really wants a Diamond Flask.

Still need a couple more Sacrificial Harvest gems to have max souls, but even with just 1 of them + Chill of Corruption I can refill Vaal Spark reliably as long as it crits.

Though as strong as the build is, I don't really think it's worth it with how much cheaper to play CoC is.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
From watching Havoc, he's mentioned that there's a range of upper maps that he just can't run solo with it and boss killing often can come down to "did I crit? No? Well guess I'm not doing it". That's not necessarily to say it still isn't pretty great for farming, but that it does have some limits.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AegisP posted:

From watching Havoc, he's mentioned that there's a range of upper maps that he just can't run solo with it and boss killing often can come down to "did I crit? No? Well guess I'm not doing it". That's not necessarily to say it still isn't pretty great for farming, but that it does have some limits.

Couldn't you potentially dos omtehing retarded like portal out, go to a low level instance somewhere and wipe it in like 2 minutes flat with whatever you build souls with, then come back.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What are some cool spells to use with RF nowadays? I levelled my RF character to 65, but I see the spell I was planning on using (Incinerate) has been nerfed quite a bit the last patch, so I'm open to suggestions.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Couldn't you potentially dos omtehing retarded like portal out, go to a low level instance somewhere and wipe it in like 2 minutes flat with whatever you build souls with, then come back.

Nah souls are per area because of that probably

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Souls go away when you change zones, or more accurately, souls are tied to the zone you get them in. So if you don't have any poo poo left in the zone with the boss you won't ever be able to get souls to kill it. I guess you could gear swap your gloves off and fight the boss, but it would be painful and slow. Really Vaal Spark excels at destroying 95% of a map in seconds and starting another. You have to skip all but the most valuable loot and often the map boss, but nothing else even comes close to the clear speed.

Also you can't really do most indoor maps, especially not solo.

Also in my endless search for more Sacrificial Harvest jewels I managed to vaal my way into both of these yesterday. A pretty sweet phys dual wield one and a really good RF totem or something area+proj.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005

ronya posted:

I mean, if you're doing Dried Lake till 78, that's definitely going to be boring. Go do some maps, they're super fun!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

I mean, if you're doing Dried Lake till 78, that's definitely going to be boring. Go do some maps, they're super fun!

tbh I'm burning out on my LA voltaxic because its serious glass cannon and while I can do atziri deathless on autopilot because it's the exact same every time, I'm struggling on high tier maps because weird coincidences/sequences of events or mods leave you dead in 0.02 seconds if you're not playing bullet-hell the entire time

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hauki posted:

tbh I'm burning out on my LA voltaxic because its serious glass cannon and while I can do atziri deathless on autopilot because it's the exact same every time, I'm struggling on high tier maps because weird coincidences/sequences of events or mods leave you dead in 0.02 seconds if you're not playing bullet-hell the entire time

That's why I made my blast rain duder a Marauder with all the trimmings. I've got 12k armor and 6 endurance charges - not the tankiest character in existence, true, but I can handle most random poo poo that comes up.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Some dude just got the congrats for being the first one into the overgrown hideout on normal this league. :lol:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Maddot_66 posted:

Some dude just got the congrats for being the first one into the overgrown hideout on normal this league. :lol:

Had to look up which master gives it. Worst tileset for the worst master seems appropriate.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

That's why I made my blast rain duder a Marauder with all the trimmings. I've got 12k armor and 6 endurance charges - not the tankiest character in existence, true, but I can handle most random poo poo that comes up.

I love my evasion characters to death, but man, there definitely is something satisfying of playing a 20k Armour, 63% block, Cybil's Blade Vortex character now and again where you can see just how much poo poo it takes to make your hp pool move any significant degree below full.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
is your Cybil's a paw+shield build, or a paw+paw build?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ronya posted:

is your Cybil's a paw+shield build, or a paw+paw build?

paw and shield for sure, there isn't that much block for two weapons in the intelligence area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AegisP posted:

I love my evasion characters to death, but man, there definitely is something satisfying of playing a 20k Armour, 63% block, Cybil's Blade Vortex character now and again where you can see just how much poo poo it takes to make your hp pool move any significant degree below full.

link tree and gear please

• Locked thread