Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

How many people are going to miss support only working on other creatures?

How many people are going to ask if they can put all the support counters on the same creature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

How many people are going to ask if they can put all the support counters on the same creature?

That depends how many peopl actually read their cards?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is Reflector Mage just the best Man-o-War variant? I think it's likely to be good, Aether Adept is a lot worse and it was marginally playable. The fact that you'll have mana up for when they try to recast the creature seems big.

It can't bounce your own dudes, which is sometimes useful (e.g. to get your big dude out from a Tightening Coils or a pacifism type effect), and it does have a much more restrictive casting cost. But assuming you're in a UW deck, it's probably almost always just better than Man-O'-War.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I find it's easier to misread when you think you already know what something does.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I was specifically referring to the green cards (and not because of the problems with green in BFZ). The other cards' power levels make up for the risk in first picking a gold card, I think.

whoops, rereading your post you did say that pretty blatantly, my bad

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So a lot of people will be asking then is what you're saying.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The color power levels in this set are going to have way more impact on the draft format than the power levels in BFZ. Green could end up highly playable, hell an excellent green common has already been spoiled. If there's a better common fight spell than Unnatural Aggression or whatever it's called, green is no longer grossly underpowered.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can't wait to play this game 1 in limited and then have my opponent holding extra cards all game 2 just in case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like "Vile Redeemer" in rally. As far as I can tell you go:
- EoT rally, pass turn
- Sac all your guys other than Cutthroats with the rally trigger on the stack
- Flash in Redeemer with the trigger still on the stack to get a bunch of scions, which you can then sacrifice to do more damage

stinkles1112 posted:

I wish they would print some playable Eldrazi aggro guys at a CMC of something other than three. Like we've got Herald of Kozilek, Wasteland Strangler, Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Molten Nursery, now this guy, plus I want Kolaghan's Command and Exquisite Firecraft, and I want all of those cards to be in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I just know is gonna be a thing.

Then to curve out ahead of all that you have... Sludge Crawler and Forerunner of Slaughter, which wants to be a three drop half the time too
I think the 2/1 mimic could be good in that deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The green ones seem fine, but not good enough reasons in and of themselves to move into those colors. Since they're gold, that makes them bad first picks in my mind.

Fwiw while I still don't think it's as good as the Man-o-war or the br guy I think the GW dude is going to play better than it looks and the RG dude is fine too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Fwiw while I still don't think it's as good as the Man-o-war or the br guy I think the GW dude is going to play better than it looks and the RG dude is fine too.

Agreed. I can't think of any complete stinkers in any of the recent dual colored uncommon cycles.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

jassi007 posted:

I don't know about all that, but it has won some modern leagues, going 5-0. It seems legit enough to give it a try at FNM which is what I'm doing. I don't know or expect it to be the next jund or twin, but I want to whip some rear end at FNM.

Regardless of competitive viability it is a fun deck to play and some of the finance types are speculating on it breaking out financially Lantern Control style

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dehtraen posted:

Regardless of competitive viability it is a fun deck to play and some of the finance types are speculating on it breaking out financially Lantern Control style

I mean wasteland strangler and blight herder are $.50 currently so there's nothing to lose picking those up. Oblivion sower is a good card, standard playable, and is under $5, but seems to be creeping up slightly. They're all from a recent set with expeditions but if you think you'll even try the deck at some point, nows the time to get them.

There really isn't a definitive version of the deck yet, so I'm curious to see if any pros do some testing and take the list to a big event. So far there's b/r, b/w, mono black, and I've seen some abzan lists tossed around. I'm going to start testing an abzan list to see if it's worth adding green for ancient stirrings, explore, and sylvan scrying.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Kalli posted:

They all seem very good in draft except for the Auxiliary which is merely okay.

Mindmelter: Threat of activation seems more valuable than actually activating it. Your opponent is going to sandbag lands/bad creatures to pitch to Mindmelter, so don't feel like you need to activate early or often. In fact, activating this t4 is probably a bad play. Probably not first-pickable, though.

Reflector Mage: Straight up great. I can see this being more powerful in constructed than in limited, but still real good at buying you some tempo. Potential first-pick material.

Joraga Auxiliary: a 2/3 for 1WG is a bit underwhelming - you'd expect those stats from a mono-colored common like Valakut Invoker, but should probably get 3/3 for uncommon and gold-colored. 6 mana for two +1/+1 counters is kinda steep too, but I could see it being a real threat at 3GW. A decent card overall, not likely first-pickable unless token/ramp is a real deck.

Relentless Hunter: This card feels right. Activating it t4 feels like a hasty 4/4 trample, which is right in GR's ballpark. Good beats, I can see it being a first-pick if the rare is something like a planeswalker tutor.

Flayer Drone: Hell yeah, this does everything that BR Devoid aggro wants to do, and looks like it will win a lot of early combat. It still provides a threat if you can't find a way to send it into the red. I dig it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Linvala's new card is meh and the art looks like a Molly Hatchet album cover

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Linvala's new ... art looks like a Molly Hatchet album cover

You say that like it is a bad thing.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Madmarker posted:

I am aware crux isn't a punisher, I was just using that as an example of one of the roles this card attempts to fill, that are better filled in constructed by other cards.

It is a worse Wrath/creature removal than Crux.

As a black finisher, well Tasigur and Gurmag both exist already.

The only thing it really has going for it is discard, but a 5 mana discard spell tends to be pretty poor anyway.

Ehh, I could almost see a (near) totally creatureless Esper build using it.
You'd get white for Silkwrap/Planar outburst/Gideon
Blue for Jace/Negate/Dispel/Treasure Cruise
Black for Duress/various removal/ObNix/Painful Truths

Basically just constantly blow up the board, and anytime they try to get cute and hold back you'd be able to punish them with discard 4 or 10 dmg.

Not sure how good it would end up being, but I'd probably try it since I hate creatures.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Reflector Mage is finding a spot in my Peasant Cube at *checks watch* lightspeed.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Permotriassic posted:

That is some hilariously bad flavortext on the Auxiliary

Yeah they need to be ashamed of themselves for that, sheesh.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I like Flayer Drone with Hangarback Walker and Blight Herder.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

You say that like it is a bad thing.

They did the patented MTG Cheesecake Angel complete with wonky-as-gently caress proportions to try and fit her in the box. Her legs are like 6 feet long and stuck out as weird as gently caress angles.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mina and Denn, Wildborn
2RG
Legendary Creature - Elf Ally
You may play an additional land during each of your turns.

RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.

(from Mythic Spoiler)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

They did the patented MTG Cheesecake Angel complete with wonky-as-gently caress proportions to try and fit her in the box. Her legs are like 6 feet long and stuck out as weird as gently caress angles.

I thought the same thing at first because it looks like the bit of toga flying off at almost a right angle to her body looks like her other leg but after realizing what her actual legs were it doesn't look so bad

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Mina and Denn, Wildborn
2RG
Legendary Creature - Elf Ally
You may play an additional land during each of your turns.

RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.

(from Mythic Spoiler)

seems real good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, I could almost see a (near) totally creatureless Esper build using it.
You'd get white for Silkwrap/Planar outburst/Gideon
Blue for Jace/Negate/Dispel/Treasure Cruise
Black for Duress/various removal/ObNix/Painful Truths

Basically just constantly blow up the board, and anytime they try to get cute and hold back you'd be able to punish them with discard 4 or 10 dmg.

Not sure how good it would end up being, but I'd probably try it since I hate creatures.

that sounds awful, when you want to it to actually win your opponent discards cards and sacs creatures and if you're casting it before you've already basically won the game it does literal nothing since they just take 10 and continue doing whatever they were doing

I think that card is unplayable in constructed in all circumstances(feel free to dredge up this post when someone plays it), but if you were going to try to run it the place to do it is in a place where your opponent actually cares about their life total

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

I thought the same thing at first because it looks like the bit of toga flying off at almost a right angle to her body looks like her other leg but after realizing what her actual legs were it doesn't look so bad

I have no idea even right now where her right leg is supposed to be.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no idea even right now where her right leg is supposed to be.

Touching the left one, with the foot crossed behind. She's got like a gold thigh-plate on but only on the one leg

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think if the black punisher is playable it's going to be as the curve topper in an aggro deck, preferably one with a mix of creatures and burn like modern Zoo. (Probably not actually playable in modern, though, since five mana might as well be infinity for an aggro deck).

If they take the life loss, then it's a good bargain.

If they sac creature(s), then they don't have (as many) blockers anymore, and there's a good chance the blockers were fat assed and/or hexproof poo poo that were hard for you to deal with anyway.

If they discard, then they have fewer tools to fight back against you with. If they were sandbagging bad cards, then you still made them hold cards in order to deal with your poo poo, and they wasted draw steps on =<4 bad cards so you're still pretty happy with that game.

Obviously the eternal flaw in the punisher mechanic is still there, but this comes closer than any punisher card ever really has.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Agreed. I can't think of any complete stinkers in any of the recent dual colored uncommon cycles.

The closest is probably Grovetender druids which is a reliable wheel in draft, and honestly the Auxiliary is probably equal to that.

Though they should play together nicely in a durdly WGx Allies deck.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Flayer Drone combos really nicely with scion producers

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

but then that means you gotta play green.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

but then that means you gotta play green.

jund though

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mind melter is good if you pick up a lot of processors. Also 2 unblockable damage and an equipment or something is good. I think it's as strong as the others but is more deck dependent.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 30, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Nah do it in Grixis, use Skyspawner, Herald of Koz and Blight Herder. Or do it in four color since we're getting devoid-city of brass.

And Ghostfire Blade. Love Ghostfire Blade.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Elyv posted:

that sounds awful, when you want to it to actually win your opponent discards cards and sacs creatures and if you're casting it before you've already basically won the game it does literal nothing since they just take 10 and continue doing whatever they were doing

I think that card is unplayable in constructed in all circumstances(feel free to dredge up this post when someone plays it), but if you were going to try to run it the place to do it is in a place where your opponent actually cares about their life total

Oh I kinda agree with you. I've just noticed a lot of the Esper Dragon builds moving more towards pure Esper control and thought it could fit in there. Basically replacing Ojutai/Silumgar (which I'm not sure the most recent Esper Control runs in any great number).

You're probably right though that if it did ever show up, you'd see it as a topper in some black aggro deck rather than a control thing where life pressure isn't as great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Gaddock Teeg buyout seems like the most :mtgfinance: buyout in recent memory that isn't Storm World.

alansmithee posted:

Oh I kinda agree with you. I've just noticed a lot of the Esper Dragon builds moving more towards pure Esper control and thought it could fit in there. Basically replacing Ojutai/Silumgar (which I'm not sure the most recent Esper Control runs in any great number).

You're probably right though that if it did ever show up, you'd see it as a topper in some black aggro deck rather than a control thing where life pressure isn't as great.
I think most Esper control decks are still dragons builds - I've seen a few running D. Dromoka even.

As a random aside related to that deck, I stopped playing Dragonlord Silumgar a while back and just stuck with 4 Ojutai and 1-2 Drifting Death because Ob Nixilis continually outperforms Silumgar because they'd kill my dude and get their guy back, leaving me 6 mana down, where Ob Nixilis is often harder to interact with and tends to just win if you untap with him.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 30, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

fire the entire goddamn creative department, holy poo poo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah that flavor text is really dumb

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like i get trying to be cute and reference the set title but it looks hokey as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I had the title line in OGW. Ugin is teaching Jace how to fight phyrexia, and I walk by and I go, "Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these oaths of the gatewatch"

• Locked thread