Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i take via along the windsor-montreal corridor every couple months to go visit some friends out in the boonies. the trains top out somewhere around 130kph, but thanks to dozens of at grade crossings out in the sticks you'll only see those speeds in the urban parts of the corridor.

still, it's about an hour and fifty minutes to make a ~250km trip and business class is comfortable and roomy enough. travelling on a friday evening is the best because the crew will make 4x the usual number of rounds with the drink cart, and if the crew is from montreal they're mighty generous with their pours.

via had a high speed rail service back in the 70s and 80s, it managed to plow through a truck on its maiden voyage. it was hamstrung to half speed thanks to the level crossings, and eventually died out because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cygni posted:

ive taken acela from DC to NYC or bmore a bunch of times and its def faster than flying if you count early arrival time at the airport and getting to JFK and crap. DC to NYC is 3 hours by acela to penn station, or an hour 15 minutes by air plus early arrival and a cab or subway ride. ill take the train.

also the price fluctuates but northeast regional is normally significantly cheaper than air, and about the same travel times if you include everything. acela is normally faster (and more comfortable) than air, and more expensive. also consistently sold out on prime days. funny enough, acela is normally full of douchey business types while the poors take the plane.

it used to be like $80 boston -> nyc and i haven't had any problems getting to either airport on time. A train to JFK, silver line to logan. flight takes like an hour

in comparison accela was like $300 and took almost 3 hours

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

it used to be like $80 boston -> nyc and i haven't had any problems getting to either airport on time. A train to JFK, silver line to logan. flight takes like an hour

yeah dc-nyc accela is almost 3 hours and its $150 one way

if it were 2 hours or less id pay it

the bus is $20-30 one way and takes 4-5 hours depending on traffic

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Beeftweeter posted:

ur first problem was going to boston as shole!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cygni posted:

ur first problem was going to boston as shole!!

if you read really closely you might see that i left boston

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there was just about only one time that i was affected by a major delay on the northeastern line. i was on the way back home from ny when the train stopped and we were stuck there for about 45 minutes, maybe over an hour. there was a stopped train on a track next to ours, and we had people come over onto ours to continue the route. when the train eventually started moving again, we passed numerous numbered placards on the train track. when i got to the train station the next morning, there was maybe an hour and a half lag on every northeast line's schedule. i talked to a couple people and it turned out someone jumped in front of that train that was stopped.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

accela or whatever it was called still blew when i took it literally once because it was almost 4x the price as a plane ticket at the time and 3x slower

acela usually costs more than flying because it's worth it.

i'd rather smash my dick with a hammer than rely on the dca<=>lga<=>bos commuter flights

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

lga, jfk, and bos are all, individually, in the top 5 worst airports for delays. flying between them just means you miss appointments a lot

the silver line can go gently caress itself for similar reasons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lga, jfk, and bos are all, individually, in the top 5 worst airports for delays. flying between them just means you miss appointments a lot

the silver line can go gently caress itself for similar reasons

the silver line is like the least hosed up part of the T

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

because it's actually a bus, lomarf

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151230/ohare/for-one-ohare-traveler-cross-country-train-is-faster-than-flying

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if she booked a sleeper car, that owns

if she just has a regular seat, lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ugh that's the stop by my office...

it's truly amazing seeing 7 streetcars come through within 5 minutes and then none for 27

make queen st a dedicated streetcar line like spadina IMO :getin:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

at the date posted:

The worst things to put on fries that I have heard of, an exhaustive list:

1. poutine
2. mayonnaise
3. cheese
4. ketchup
5. chili

Acceptable things to put on fries, assuming they are already salted:

1. vinegar, maybe
2. nothing

Fight me if you disagree. God grant victory to the just.

your evil knows no bounds and I will actually fight you irl over this

ketchup can get hosed though

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

minivanmegafun posted:

man garlic aioli or béchamel are amazing on fries

also the Toronto streetcar is quaint but stupid. when we were there we gave up and walked a lot. we would have Bixi'd more but my partner had recently stuck a wheel in a decommissioned train siding back home in Chicago and wasn't really in riding shape

I should go back, it's a really quick and cheap flight from Midway to Billy Bishop via porter, and the loonie is doing miserable compared to the American Dollar

im basically the official SA Toronto thread ambassador at this point and I will take you for beer and poutine if you want

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

first post

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dev286 posted:

Toronto mixed traffic streetcars are awful compared to true LRT or subways. However even though they get stuck in traffic like a bus, a streetcar is wayyyy more pleasant and comfortable than a bus. Quieter, smooth ride (depending on the driver) and just generally better.

One line of the TTC streetcar (504 King) famously carries more passengers per day than the entire Toronto commuter train network.

But really they should be in dedicated lanes out of traffic or underground but that will never ever happen because "downtown already has enough subways, give some subways to near-rural suburbs"

I purposely take the streetcar to work a lot over the subway even though its a slightly longer ride because the ride is impossibly smooth and pleasant. I get lots of nice sunlight and I can read and listen to music and old ladies are really thankful when you help lift their little shopping cart things off the streetcar for them :3:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

basically, yes, it's called Metrolinx or GO. there's buses on many routes too.

practically speaking, it depends on which "suburbs" and when. only a couple of lines have all-day two-way train service, only one has 20-minute peak service. everything else is into the city in the morning and out in the evenings, buses the rest of the time.

also, when people say "almost rural suburbs" in reference to toronto, they usually mean the old boroughs that amalgamated into the city, and not the actual suburbs. back in '98 the province decided to extend a middle finger to everyone in the metropolitan area by amalgamating the six municipalities into one city. scarborough and etobicoke were small cities in their own right, but very low density. since the amalgamation the residents of these places feel that since the dense city core gets high-order transit, they should too. usually the arguments are centered around what they deserve, as opposed to what the ridership actually dictates.

so we get them scuttling dedicated ROW LRTs in favour of a subway that goes nowhere, serves no one, and seemingly will never be built because the same suburban jackholes refuse to pay the taxes needed to fund them.

also the mayor used his imagineering skills and a whole pack of crayons to devise a plan to use the GO/Metrolinx network for rapid transit within the city, and has been slowly discovering what everyone said when he first came up with it, it's literally impossible to do as planned.

ugggghhhh distilling the last 15 years like that is like drinking concentrated bile ugghh nuke etobicoke

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
god I loving love transit chat I LOVE TRANSIT CHAT

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

your evil knows no bounds and I will actually fight you irl over this

ketchup can get hosed though

ahahaha thank you for quoting this fucktard and reminding me of this epically fail post LOL

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

went to the new york transit museum and saw some classic trains and a macbook. pretty yospos if you ask me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Leck posted:

went to the new york transit museum and saw some classic trains and a macbook. pretty yospos if you ask me.

what nye plans do u have?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Leck posted:

is that at hoyt? a friend of mine used to be a subway operator (and holy poo poo they make good money) and he was telling me that it's on the same track as the side that always has the power shut off

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

counterpoint on the Pearson - Union train line: I flew into pearson at 5am and took the UP, and it was pretty dece. If I had arrived at human-hours, I would have just taken the real bus but.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

counterpoint on the Pearson - Union train line: I flew into pearson at 5am and took the UP, and it was pretty dece. If I had arrived at human-hours, I would have just taken the real bus but.

UPX is great, too bad it has less than half the minimum level of ridership needed to make it feasible. there's a reason snc lavalin backed out of the P3 to operate and manage the line, and metrolinx is loving stupid to think they were somehow going to manage 100% fare recovery and still have anyone ride it.

maybe after another couple years of ghost trains riding empty night and day metrolinx will decide to take the money they're burning running trains with no one in them and use it to subsidize the fare down to like $5 so it's a practical alternative to an airport limo.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

infernal machines posted:

UPX is great, too bad it has less than half the minimum level of ridership needed to make it feasible. there's a reason snc lavalin backed out of the P3 to operate and manage the line, and metrolinx is loving stupid to think they were somehow going to manage 100% fare recovery and still have anyone ride it.

maybe after another couple years of ghost trains riding empty night and day metrolinx will decide to take the money they're burning running trains with no one in them and use it to subsidize the fare down to like $5 so it's a practical alternative to an airport limo.

i've never ridden it during the day, it's crazy to me that people pay like 4-5x the cost of the TTC to ride UPX during the day. I think midnight - 5am is the only time I'd pay to take it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well generally people don't pay that to ride it during the day, that's the thing.

it goes pretty much directly between my place and a client's site near the airport, so i take it occasionally, and the busiest i've ever seen it was 7 other passengers on the whole train.

approx 2500 people per day ride it, and that's with ~8 trains per hour (4 in each direction). metrolinx projected 5000 ppd by the end of this year, and the breakeven at the current fare price is 7k or 8K ppd. it's basically hosed.

the main problem is the for $19-$27 dollars per trip, basically going only from union to the airport, it's not competitive with anything. TTC is 1/5th the price and you'd have to take it anyway unless you're staying right downtown, and an airport limo is ~$60, meaning it's price competitive as you as you have two or more people and it has door to door service. upx only makes sense if you're travelling alone during rush hour, where at least you won't get stuck in traffic on the 427

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it also only runs from 5:30am to 1am.

so 78 two-car trains to move an average of 2500 people

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
im going to take some sweet, sweet transit tonight

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I drove a car to and from work today

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
New York gives up and announces its futuristic ticketing solution:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

loving

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

motherfucking QR codes

wow lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jimmy Carter posted:

motherfucking QR codes

The RFPs do request NFC for payments, hopefully both will be supported.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MrMoo posted:

The RFPs do request NFC for payments, hopefully both will be supported.

QR codes could make sense in some limited circumstances

let tourists pre-buy some transit passes before they arrive in NYC so they dont have to line up at machines

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the screenshot decodes to

FTMAQKFROAXWMEQBZLKNMDPLGVUOUZZKEXTGEBIOIOSGYLZGDOSHVFOPMETXWJURLLYQHHCECZWYPDYOXYYTPFUOUSSQWRYUGVDKAYHRHJOYVWVRFNHHXJCRMVWMJMENTNZNXXSOOAFBLJGSURXYQDDPEMVWUDQGYVOUFLRUAUZUFLYPOYSKWQJCQEPQMWJNQWFKGQKUCKMYJIBNBMYWQHPVTTWIZOAALFCLKNSEXXZWJPEKKBQRFQVIRZLXVMYYUIPRQFJHKYSUMHJSKXUWLVQSMJGHSVEAVWHERYQXFEPQVYOGSB

Actual data, or someone mashing a keyboard and making a comp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaggar non-compliant transportation opening in 2016 in North America:

Heavy Rail:
BART Warm Springs Extension - 5.4mi
New York’s Second Avenue Subway (Phase 1) - 1.3mi

Light Rail:
Dallas’ South Oak Cliff Blue Line Extension - 2.6mi
Denver’s R Line - 10.5mi
Los Angeles’ Expo Line (Phase 2) and Gold Line Extension to Azusa - 6.6mi and 11.3mi
Phoenix’s Northwest Extension (Phase 1) - 3.1mi
Seattle’s University Link and South 200th Link Extension - 3.2mi and 1.6mi

Commuter Rail:
the Bay Area’s SMART Train (Phase 1) - 43mi
Boston’s Wachusett Extension - 4.5mi
Denver’s A Line, B Line, and G Line - 23.5mi, 6.2mi, and 11.2mi
Los Angeles’ Perris Valley Line - 21mi

Streetcar:
Cincinnati’s Streetcar - 1.8mi
Dallas’ Oak Cliff Streetcar Extension - 1.9mi
Detroit’s M-1 Rail - 3.3mi
Kansas City’s Streetcar - 2mi