Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tooterfish posted:

The map that close is made up of real star data. Unfortunately real data isn't uniform so you get anomalies like that, it just means someone's been watching that part of the sky a lot (that line should point straight to Earth).

Either that or, you know, aliens.

It's the first thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spoilsport.

ttam
Sep 25, 2004

tooterfish posted:

The map that close is made up of real star data. Unfortunately real data isn't uniform so you get anomalies like that, it just means someone's been watching that part of the sky a lot (that line should point straight to Earth).

Either that or, you know, aliens.

Ah, it does point directly back at Sol.

I am going to prefer to think of it as a space-highway sign.... for aliens

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

DrProsek posted:

I'm thinking of swapping the Sidewinder for a Hauler. On the one hand, I can try out buying and selling stuff which I haven't done much of. On the other, most of my money comes from bounty hunting so I need a ship that can still do that. I noticed only 1 weapon mounted to it. Is it an abysmal choice for a combat ship, or is it still usable?

Are you in the wrong played hours for the free ship? The restrictions kind of garbage tbh.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Gift Bowling with Santa Goons
https://gfycat.com/TatteredDistantDrafthorse

and this glitch
https://gfycat.com/GlaringUnawareArgentinehornedfrog

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

:captainpop: I think i need new space underwear

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've taken my first step out of newbie commander, into my first bought it myself ship - the Adder. I like trading and it feels like a upgrade over the sidewinder. The only issue is that the cockpit feels weird to me. In the Sidewinder, I could look up and around, so I had some semblance of awareness to my surroundings. The Adder is all closed on the sides, and a tiny little window to look up through. It threw me a little, but I'll get use to it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MoraleHazard posted:

I got this game on the Steam sale. I ran through the tutorials which were good. It tok me a little while to figure out supercruise. Is there a way to tell if missions make sense for a newbie in a sidewinder? Also, is there a way to identify if a contact is going to just blow me away?

Don't bother with assassination missions at all in a Sidewinder. If you want to jump right into murdering things, then I'd suggest you buy a fuel scoop (lets you refuel in supercruise by flying close to stars; generally orange or peach-colored ones), and a better frameshift drive, and make the trek out to 63 G. Capricorni. That's the home system for the goon-backed faction (Diamond Frogs) and you will find plenty of us there who will wing up to either help with assassination missions, or help you bounty hunt and make you enough cash to get into a nicer ship.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Stringbean posted:

I've taken my first step out of newbie commander, into my first bought it myself ship - the Adder. I like trading and it feels like a upgrade over the sidewinder. The only issue is that the cockpit feels weird to me. In the Sidewinder, I could look up and around, so I had some semblance of awareness to my surroundings. The Adder is all closed on the sides, and a tiny little window to look up through. It threw me a little, but I'll get use to it.

I kinda like that about the Adder, feels like a big ol' space truck inside.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I want to kiss whoever recommended "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for Raido Skvortsov. This station is extremely my thing.

In other news, I'm slowly learning how to dogfight, or at least how to vulture up some bounties form the cop npcs. I bought the FSD upgrade and the fuel scoop and was about to head out to Diamond Frog space when I got a bounty to kill 15 pirates for 200k. Maybe that's small change, but it seems like a good deal, and should hopefully give me some decent combat experience.

Edit: I keep reading rumors of this free ship for new players. Is that something I should wait for, or should I just buy myself a new ship? Is there a limit on the number of ships I can buy? And any recommendations for a decent jack-of-all-trades ship that's an upgrade on the sidewinder?

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

Hellburger99 posted:

I want to kiss whoever recommended "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for Raido Skvortsov.

I second this. Also, try a Cobra Mk III, it's what I'm running and it's a really good all-rounder.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Hey, what's with this wedding barge thing? I'm in the Yakabugai sector for what it's worth.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hellburger99 posted:

Hey, what's with this wedding barge thing? I'm in the Yakabugai sector for what it's worth.

Flavor. They don't do anything as far as I've ever been able to find.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
They should add an occupied escape pod, so you can be the runaway bride's ride

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

I want to kiss whoever recommended "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" for Raido Skvortsov. This station is extremely my thing.

In other news, I'm slowly learning how to dogfight, or at least how to vulture up some bounties form the cop npcs. I bought the FSD upgrade and the fuel scoop and was about to head out to Diamond Frog space when I got a bounty to kill 15 pirates for 200k. Maybe that's small change, but it seems like a good deal, and should hopefully give me some decent combat experience.

Edit: I keep reading rumors of this free ship for new players. Is that something I should wait for, or should I just buy myself a new ship? Is there a limit on the number of ships I can buy? And any recommendations for a decent jack-of-all-trades ship that's an upgrade on the sidewinder?

New players will receive a spacecraft whose value is determined by the Tier achieved in the CG - I believe we achieved the Viper tier. It's intended for new players, specifically those who have played between 3-10 hours. No word on how it's being delivered. It's a good deal for starting players, but something you could probably earn for your self with a modest amount of space missions under your belt.

Literally any ship is an upgrade over the Sidewinder, since that's the free starter ship. Upgrades from there:

Fighting:

Eagle MkII 44,800 Cr

Trading, minimal fighting:

Hauler 52, 720 Cr

Jack-of-all-trades:

Adder 87,808

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Flavor. They don't do anything as far as I've ever been able to find.

There used to be (and still might be, though I don't see them anymore) missions to disrupt both Wedding and Funeral convoys. You need a bunch of pals and some serious firepower to tackle those.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Zaardvark posted:

New players will receive a spacecraft whose value is determined by the Tier achieved in the CG - I believe we achieved the Viper tier. It's intended for new players, specifically those who have played between 3-10 hours. No word on how it's being delivered. It's a good deal for starting players, but something you could probably earn for your self with a modest amount of space missions under your belt.

Literally any ship is an upgrade over the Sidewinder, since that's the free starter ship. Upgrades from there:

Fighting:

Eagle MkII 44,800 Cr

Trading, minimal fighting:

Hauler 52, 720 Cr

Jack-of-all-trades:

Adder 87,808

I figured I'd fall into the newbie category, but apparently I've put 20 hours into this game already (though I suspect some of it is from idling). But I guess it doesn't matter in the end; one way or another I'll rack up kills and money.

And I'll look into that Adder. I'm not sure if I want to stick with constant fighting, and hauling supplies might be good once I improve my FSD capabilities even more.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hellburger99 posted:

I figured I'd fall into the newbie category, but apparently I've put 20 hours into this game already (though I suspect some of it is from idling). But I guess it doesn't matter in the end; one way or another I'll rack up kills and money.

And I'll look into that Adder. I'm not sure if I want to stick with constant fighting, and hauling supplies might be good once I improve my FSD capabilities even more.

The Adder is a fantastic little multirole shuttle, and can be reliably kitted out to handle early game trading, exploring, or combat in equal measure. The only caveat is that the cockpit view is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks, veering more towards "literal spacetruck" than anything else. If you like a wide unrestricted view, the Adder probably isn't for you.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Are you in the wrong played hours for the free ship? The restrictions kind of garbage tbh.

I got a free Sidewinder with loaned parts if that's what you mean. Just figured I'd try out a Hauler to see how it plays without needing to abandon my main moneymaking strategy.

I ended up going with the Hauler; yeah my damage output sucks but it's decent enough that I don't mind, I can still get my bounties with 1-2 cops assisting. Now I just need to find some cargo to haul :v:.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
When I started i got a hauler and outfitted it for mining and headed into Frey. Had a Cobra within a few hours that was well fitted. That was back when mining was far more tedious than it is now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

DrProsek posted:

I got a free Sidewinder with loaned parts if that's what you mean. Just figured I'd try out a Hauler to see how it plays without needing to abandon my main moneymaking strategy.

I ended up going with the Hauler; yeah my damage output sucks but it's decent enough that I don't mind, I can still get my bounties with 1-2 cops assisting. Now I just need to find some cargo to haul :v:.

I was referring to the recent community goal we ~totally made happen~ which gave pilots with > 3 and < 10 hours a free Cobra IV

I'm actually pissed enough about how restrictive that is that I might take a poo poo ship out for a ride, rank up a bounty, and let a newb kill me just to get into the Cobra mk III.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I was referring to the recent community goal we ~totally made happen~ which gave pilots with > 3 and < 10 hours a free Cobra IV

I'm actually pissed enough about how restrictive that is that I might take a poo poo ship out for a ride, rank up a bounty, and let a newb kill me just to get into the Cobra mk III.

Ah, my bad!

Yeah, I missed out on that :(. Ah well, I'm making enough in the Hauler that I should be able to afford a Cobra IV within a day or two, assuming I can find a place that's selling them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Emnity posted:

When I started i got a hauler and outfitted it for mining and headed into Frey. Had a Cobra within a few hours that was well fitted. That was back when mining was far more tedious than it is now.

Mining is relaxing as gently caress and I enjoy it very much. I can't imagine how brutal it was when limpets didn't exist.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Xtanstic posted:

Mining is relaxing as gently caress and I enjoy it very much.

Welcome, miner buddy :hfive:

Xtanstic posted:

I can't imagine how brutal it was when limpets didn't exist.

It wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be, and it was still relaxing. It just couldn't keep up with the cr/hr of things like rare running, bulk trading, or bounty hunting.

As someone who's primarily been a miner since launch, I of course appreciate the limpets and auto-refinery improvements, but scooping with a Cobra MkIII was its own type of zen.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 31, 2015

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
While hanging around the nav point waiting for pirates to wander in for my bounty, a master level criminal NPC jumped in and I was lucky enough to be part of the 8+ ship dogpile that blasted him into atoms and netted me a cool 100k bounty. Decided to splurg and get a Cobra MKIII with the bonus. Here's hoping it isn't a total load. Trying to figure out what to trick it out with. Are ammo-based guns worth it or should I stick to lasers?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

radintorov posted:

It's also still not too expensive to fit and the more power available allows for more flexible loadouts than the Mk.3. It also has better jump range than the Cobra mk.3, making it a good explorer ship.

And speaking of ships, are you working on any more ship write-ups?

I've been a lazyass, but I should! So many ships I haven't reviewed that I can actually afford, now. Suppose the big question is, where to start?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

While hanging around the nav point waiting for pirates to wander in for my bounty, a master level criminal NPC jumped in and I was lucky enough to be part of the 8+ ship dogpile that blasted him into atoms and netted me a cool 100k bounty. Decided to splurg and get a Cobra MKIII with the bonus. Here's hoping it isn't a total load. Trying to figure out what to trick it out with. Are ammo-based guns worth it or should I stick to lasers?

The Cobra's good multirole ship. A good and boring rule of thumb is: the best weapon is almost always a pulse laser. Cannons do good damage to hulls, and they're cool and cheap in energy terms, but they're terrible against shields. If you're feeling fancy, you may consider making your secondary weapons multicannons, with the intention of wrecking your target's hull after you've brought down their shields with pulse lasers.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cobra IV is a bit rubbish. Get a Cobra III or a Viper IV for multi - role goodness

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but did Horizons end up adding anything new for people who burned out at the general lack of depth, or is it just a new set of minigames to play on an infinite number of interchangeable planets?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Voyager I posted:

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but did Horizons end up adding anything new for people who burned out at the general lack of depth, or is it just a new set of minigames to play on an infinite number of interchangeable planets?

If you were bored with ED, then you'll get bored with Horizons.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shine posted:

If you were bored with ED, then you'll get bored with Horizons.

Kinda what I expected. Thanks for the reply!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
What happened to the FREE Cobra IV

When i signed up to Horizons on the prepurchase it said "Preorder now for a FREE Cobra mkIV"

I have heard rumors that we still have to buy it....

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

TheresaJayne posted:

When i signed up to Horizons on the prepurchase it said "Preorder now for a FREE Cobra mkIV"

Alehkhs posted:

I've seen this "free" claim brought up here a couple times now. Unless something has changed, I believe they just said that you unlock it to buy in-game via the loyalty program, not that they were giving you one? :confused:

EDIT: yeah, via the Horizons pre-order page

quote:

Those who take advantage of this offer will be able to purchase the Cobra MkIV in-game when Elite Dangerous: Horizons lands.

Emphasis mine, just to nip some tears in the bud here.

EDIT: I've seen enough comments regarding expectations of it being free that I suspect at some point someone said something mistakenly in an interview or social media/the brown sea, but the order page itself has at most promised "access" to the ship.

Supposedly if you file a support ticket about being mislead by mean old Frontier, they'll just give you the damned thing.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 31, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Its poorly worded cause I thought that too. But if it makes you feel any better, the cobra IV is a steaming pile of dogshit.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
When I pre-ordered I do not remember seeing anything about having to purchase the ship and the wording implied that it was a gift. I'm usually pretty good about reading into the details but even I had to actually look it up after Horizons launched. They might have changed the description at some point. It doesn't actually matter though because the Cobra 4 is kinda crap.

e: basically what Lockmart just said.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I dig the adder and its space truck cockpit. But considering I trade more and just run for the hills when bandits attack - would it have been more economical to get the Hauler? Don't remember if it had a larger cargo hold then the adder (pretty sure it did). Plus with a bigger hold, I want to consider giving mining a go.

vvv Excellent then! I'll start tinkering with my internals! vvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 31, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Stringbean posted:

I dig the adder and its space truck cockpit. But considering I trade more and just run for the hills when bandits attack - would it have been more economical to get the Hauler? Don't remember if it had a larger cargo hold then the adder (pretty sure it did). Plus with a bigger hold, I want to consider giving mining a go.
The Adder is a straight upgrade over the Hauler in everything, from potential cargo space to top speed for running away.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Its poorly worded cause I thought that too. But if it makes you feel any better, the cobra IV is a steaming pile of dogshit.

A 2200 armor pointed pile of dogshit if you fill it with hull reinforcements and armor!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hellburger99 posted:

Turns out you weren't even that lucky. I hung around a nav point for something like 2 hours last night in an Eagle, waited for the system cops and a little NPC wing to open up on any wanted ships, and then joined in. Really easily got around 600k, and that includes getting blown up with about 100k of bounties when I wasn't paying attention and started firing on a 3 person wanted wing before anyone else did. Just sit near the beacon, keep scanning new ships and keep an eye out for laser fire in the distance, and blow stuff up til your multicannons run out of ammo or you get nervous, then supercruise to the station that's ~400 LS away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Yes, it is poorly worded.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247

quote:

Existing players will also unlock the exclusive Cobra Mk IV ship in Elite Dangerous: Horizons. The Cobra Mk IV will be available in the game only to players who joined us in the first year – forever.

I think one of the updates just said that existing players will get access to it.
I don't remember seeing anything that said it was a free gift. Though it would be nice if they at least gave it at a discount or something.

I bought one at Lave a few weeks ago and flew it around a little and ended up selling it. It wasn't bad to look at, but the weapons are underpowered.
If they replaced the small hardpoints with one large it would have been an improvement and I might have kept it.

• Locked thread