Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Barracks, customization console, Hangar.

No I've been there. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't say that my Skrell is being replaced like it would do in normal circumstances.
I assume my Skrell is SOMEWHERE and I don't know where to go. I don't think this battle is beatable without it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

No I've been there. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't say that my Skrell is being replaced like it would do in normal circumstances.
I assume my Skrell is SOMEWHERE and I don't know where to go. I don't think this battle is beatable without it as well.

If you've been there and it isn't being replaced then you ran out of insurance. Your skell auto-travels with you regardless unless it is destroyed so it can't go missing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I absolutely adore the exploration in XBX knowing that Monolith poured their hearts into not just copying and pasting cliffs, basins, waterfalls, etc., with some truly jaw dropping scenery and a planet that feels genuinely alien. The scale is mind boggling and the seamless transitions makes the world feel whole.

BUT

Xenoblade's world and exploration was much more unique since you're traversing a loving dead god, experiencing the vistas for the first time along with most of the party (Shulk and Reyn, anyway). For gently caress's sake there's an [i[ocean above you the whole time you're in Makna Forest[/i]. The settings and accompanied music are simply better in Xenoblade with the only consistent complaint comes from the lovely quest management and trying to track down NPCs.

It's unfortunate that XBX suffers from annoying pop-up and texture buffering issues at times. I would've liked it if the avatar was the first pioneer to discover locations in Mira, giving you the option to build and set up camps.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ImpAtom posted:

If you've been there and it isn't being replaced then you ran out of insurance. Your skell auto-travels with you regardless unless it is destroyed so it can't go missing.

Well it can because it could be at the gates of NLA since the two locations in Chapter 8 are unique.

It's really frustrating that I can't find any information on the paticular fight online.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was scared, since I finally got this one quest but it took me into a place where I can't bring my Skell. Suddenly I'm surrounded by a whole bunch of monsters and the rest of my team is dead. But then...

Overdrive! True Stream Edge! Defensive Stance! Tornado Blade! Overdrive (again)! True Stream Edge! Tornado Blade!

I killed them all by myself. I definitely am not using Overdrive as intended but holy crap.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I would have appreciated more ~lore~ if only because, as far as I can tell, no one ever really acknowledges all the giant ruins in Caldros and Oblivia. It doesn't need to be really in-depth, in-your-face stuff, but something that would at least imply some kind of story to them.

Characters having reactions to finding new landmarks, or even different combat voice clips for different regions would have been nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I was scared, since I finally got this one quest but it took me into a place where I can't bring my Skell. Suddenly I'm surrounded by a whole bunch of monsters and the rest of my team is dead. But then...

Overdrive! True Stream Edge! Defensive Stance! Tornado Blade! Overdrive (again)! True Stream Edge! Tornado Blade!

I killed them all by myself. I definitely am not using Overdrive as intended but holy crap.

That is absolutely how overdrive is intended.

Except you should be using Offensive Stance, not Defensive Stance. Also get Ghost Factory.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's been two weeks since I've played this game I have the shakes man I need to dress up serious experienced military man in cat ears and jorts

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TurnipFritter posted:

I would have appreciated more ~lore~ if only because, as far as I can tell, no one ever really acknowledges all the giant ruins in Caldros and Oblivia. It doesn't need to be really in-depth, in-your-face stuff, but something that would at least imply some kind of story to them.

Characters having reactions to finding new landmarks, or even different combat voice clips for different regions would have been nice.
Its subtly implied that Mira was some sort of center of Samaarian civilization with the Ganglion reverence of the planet and the Vita. The bestiary entries for Oc-Servs, Fal-Swo, and Xe-Dom mention they were found operating autonomously in-situ and just so coincidentally happened to have the same control interface as Ganglion equipment.

e. Which is actually a good public service announcement, if anybody reading this cares about ~*lore*~ it is all in the bestiary and collectopedia

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 31, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I cant hear you... i cant see you

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I never played the Wii one so I don't know how it compares but I agree that X's world could be more fleshed out. The landscape is excellently built but there's nothing really to find there, hidden caves and plateaus yield the same treasure boxes that reward XP and BP as the ones that are literally just lying on the ground. There aren't really any settlements beyond BLADE trailers with non-npc's, there's no hidden lore to uncover, there's no special equipment, you just get Points. Morrowind is a really bad comparison because that game is packed with areas that are actually populated with unique stuff.

And I think the other comparison made in that post, Dark Souls, is also bad. The world of Dark Souls is a tightly-designed and informationally-dense labyrinth, in which charting the path from points A to B (as well as unlocking new ones) is a constant and engaging exercise. Knowing how the world interconnects and how your current position relates to it is like a skill that levels up alongside your numerical stats. None of that is true in XCX.

Like, I never intended to imply that story is the only way to foster engagement with the environment. Dark Souls does a great job doing so in non-narrative ways! But XCX doesn't.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Games > Xenoblade Chronicles X - it's not as good as dark souls

also the game is really fun, I like the idea of "Hey, see those mountains? YOU CAN CLIMB THAT poo poo", and exploring in this game is much better than the first, now that you can jump about the height of a skell

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 31, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supercar Gautier posted:

Knowing how the world interconnects and how your current position relates to it is like a skill that levels up alongside your numerical stats. None of that is true in XCX.
I think we played different games, which is completely possible given the nature of open world games. If you want them to be, the first 30+ hours of XCX are like a boyscout merit badge test about reading topography maps and using a bird's eye drone to try and trailblaze to new areas on the map.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It was a mistake to use light blue as a higher danger indicator than purple, because it's really easy to mistake the light blue for the default on the frontier nav screen.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If my ares runs out of insurance, and I've upgraded the armor/weapons on it, am I hosed since there's no way to remove the gears? I haven't, I'm just curious.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If my ares runs out of insurance, and I've upgraded the armor/weapons on it, am I hosed since there's no way to remove the gears? I haven't, I'm just curious.

I haven't actually had a skell run out of insurance yet, but from what I understand, by the point in the game that you have an Ares, forking over for the repair costs is chump change.

Also if by upgrade you mean "Installed augments," then you can remove those augments. They aren't stuck there. Just pull em off in the inventory menu then buy a new Ares if replacing it is exorbitantly expensive or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Taear posted:

Well it can because it could be at the gates of NLA since the two locations in Chapter 8 are unique.

It's really frustrating that I can't find any information on the paticular fight online.

what?

it isn't possible for skells to go missing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

I haven't actually had a skell run out of insurance yet, but from what I understand, by the point in the game that you have an Ares, forking over for the repair costs is chump change.

Also if by upgrade you mean "Installed augments," then you can remove those augments. They aren't stuck there. Just pull em off in the inventory menu then buy a new Ares if replacing it is exorbitantly expensive or something.

No, I mean the additional effects on the armor pieces, those upgrades.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

join the prospectors and win the division rankings every day for a free salvage ticket.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
On exploration: Least night I was running by one location in Primordia I had run by like a half dozen times before, but decided to take another turn and holy poo poo has there always been a landmark here and what are those Prone doing up there what are they guarding. I'm sure there are dozens of places like that I've previously missed while rushing to probe sights.

Another bit was in Noctium, just over that first land bridge. I saw the icon for treasure and dropped down a hole, only to be eaten by a tyrant dinosaur that was waiting in ambush.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Seriously, even exploring in the post-game still had me occasionally going "Wow, what the hell, was this crazy root cave always here in Noctilum?" or "Wait, is that a cave halfway up this cliff face in Sylvalum?"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You can't quit affinity missions, can you?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You can't quit affinity missions, can you?

nope have fun!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Rock and Celica look like they were lifted straight from an Original Xbox era Rare game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can't remove gear from a wrecked skell. If you want to take the weapons or armour off it then you need to get it repaired, either by paying the fee or burning a salvage ticket.

I'm not up there at max level myself yet, but I ran into the same problem when I wrecked my Amdusias and wanted to get the scythe off it to reuse on something else :(

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ashsaber posted:

On exploration: Least night I was running by one location in Primordia I had run by like a half dozen times before, but decided to take another turn and holy poo poo has there always been a landmark here and what are those Prone doing up there what are they guarding. I'm sure there are dozens of places like that I've previously missed while rushing to probe sights.

Another bit was in Noctium, just over that first land bridge. I saw the icon for treasure and dropped down a hole, only to be eaten by a tyrant dinosaur that was waiting in ambush.

Nah the landscape itself is fantastic, it's just that there's nothing there except for enemies. Like the answer to "what are those prone guarding" is "nothing, or maybe a box of experience and BP".

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

punk rebel ecks posted:

[*]Why is alien Elma dressed like a whore? She acts so graceful and what not yet she dresses like a stripper?

She's not. What looks like bare skin is actually part of the armor.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Nah the landscape itself is fantastic, it's just that there's nothing there except for enemies. Like the answer to "what are those prone guarding" is "nothing, or maybe a box of experience and BP".

i also really wish every treasure box had an actual item in it even if its just clothes or an augment

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Looper posted:

i also really wish every treasure box had an actual item in it even if its just clothes or an augment

A vintage luxury tank top, perhaps?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

A vintage luxury tank top, perhaps?

even a bargain one, honestly

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Ares 90 costs 55 million credits to repair if you're out of insurance. That's not exactly chump change anymore.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shadowlyger posted:

The Ares 90 costs 55 million credits to repair if you're out of insurance. That's not exactly chump change anymore.

Nah it costs like 20000 to join prospectors for a day and get a salvage ticket

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I never played the Wii one so I don't know how it compares but I agree that X's world could be more fleshed out. The landscape is excellently built but there's nothing really to find there, hidden caves and plateaus yield the same treasure boxes that reward XP and BP as the ones that are literally just lying on the ground. There aren't really any settlements beyond BLADE trailers with non-npc's, there's no hidden lore to uncover, there's no special equipment, you just get Points.

This is untrue. There are different pieces of equipment in different 'boxes' and some of the best stuff only shows up in out of the way places. This includes blueprints for skell superweapons or high-quality arguments or just rare items. Lower-level boxes don't tend to have good stuff in them but they're also lower-level boxes and even then you might get a research probe. (There are way too many mining probes compared to research probes to be honest.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
He has a point in that 95% of the boxes are full of junk and you only really get the good stuff from hex completion based boxes or hidden level 5s.

But that also ignores the most important reason for chests, which is you have OCD and absolutely have to get that poo poo off your map.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Med School posted:

The robots in this game are all awesome, I just wish they knew more Kung fu.

If it's of any consolation, the out-of-the-box strongest one has beam nunchucks.

I took a look at the pastebin file that has the ticket counts listed for different endgame things you can craft (http://pastebin.com/0BZSLkPZ) but I don't have the game on right now, can someone give some estimates on how many tickets the materials for each lv60 super weapon take on average? I plan to do things the lazy way and grind out a ton of BLADE medals with recruits and then get tickets from Yggdralith's parts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Cook posted:

Rock and Celica look like they were lifted straight from an Original Xbox era Rare game.

I was not expecting Rock to have that normal a voice. I was expecting at least something DEEEEP AND RUMBLIIIING for something that large. His voice just does not match his form.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was not expecting Rock to have that normal a voice. I was expecting at least something DEEEEP AND RUMBLIIIING for something that large. His voice just does not match his form.
i think that's the point, in that he's a huge monster dude but also kind of a wuss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the joke I think. He's like Mikhail from Drakengard 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad Rock didn't piss himself literally at first viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad Rock didn't piss himself literally at first viewing.

I'm sorry but getting Zero and Mikhail as party members would only have improved Xenoblade Chronicles X. :colbert:

• Locked thread