Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Perhaps he feels he's being treated unfairly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Cnut posted the interview where he said that like 10 PT arguments and 20 Mary Sue arguments ago.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah and now other news sites are picking it up. Saw a post on CBC up here in Canada. He's gonna regret opening his big dumb mouth.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Perhaps he feels he's being treated unfairly?

I haven't watched that clip, because listening to Lucas talk makes me sad. Maybe he was referring to the white men running the first order stealing the black children(finn is the only one we see) from their families and forcing them to become stormtroopers?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I honestly don't know why he's complaining. He wasn't cheated out of the franchise and he can't have been hurting for money, the power was in him not to sell Star Wars to Disney if he felt that strongly about them

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's clear in the clip that he's telling a joke. Nothing is safe from soundbyte journalism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

She's stuck on a lovely planet and she's poor.

Defeated yet again by Darth Kapital

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's clear in the clip that he's telling a joke. Nothing is safe from soundbyte journalism.

Fair point, he does come across pretty reasonably in the clip. I've not heard the term white slavers before though, does it have US specific cultural connotations?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Fair point, he does come across pretty reasonably in the clip. I've not heard the term white slavers before though, does it have US specific cultural connotations?

Every time I've ever heard it in its non-archaic context, it's specifically referring to sexual slavery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
nm

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Lucas owns.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When Rey is called 'scavenger scum', her response is effectively "I'm not scum like them."

The other scavengers swarm like rats, steal, enslave, etc. They have absolutely no redeeming qualities, and Rey's goal is to escape them. They have no special powers, and (consequently) they belong where they are.

The bombing of their village has even less impact than the planet explosion scene(s).

They specifically include a scene where Rey sees herself in the future as a worn, old woman with the specific message of how terrible a fate it would be.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Force Awakens:

Listen - strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sunny Side Up posted:

Cnut posted the interview where he said that like 10 PT arguments and 20 Mary Sue arguments ago.

I don't read Cnut's posts half the time.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Danger posted:

Lucas owns.

Not the star wars franchise anymore, thank god

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I honestly don't know why he's complaining. He wasn't cheated out of the franchise and he can't have been hurting for money, the power was in him not to sell Star Wars to Disney if he felt that strongly about them

The interview the clip is from is very good and gives some insight into the apparent contradiction in the soundbite. Lucas digs deep into his past as an artist to explain how he views his legacy, and it's clear that he doesn't care about the money and that Star Wars is very dear to his heart, more of a personal project than a carefully-conceived commercial product. He sold the rights because he wanted to retire instead of managing the details of this massive cultural phenomenon that he had constructed, and the only way to do that was to put it in the hands of some entity that would make it difficult for him to become involved in future projects. The break-up analogy is really apt: you don't want to move on and it's not easy, but it's for the best. Hence the gallows humor about the whole thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I don't read Cnut's posts half the time.

I don't agree with a lot of his/her conclusions but they put a fair bit of effort and research into their posts, you should!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Does anyone else feel like Poe was more original Han Solo in dialogue while being the Wedge Antilles of today?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Does anyone else feel like Poe was more original Han Solo in dialogue while being the Wedge Antilles of today?

Poe's dialogue actually most resembles Princess Leia honestly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Danger posted:

They specifically include a scene where Rey sees herself in the future as a worn, old woman with the specific message of how terrible a fate it would be.

Rey and BB8 spontaneously beat & taser Finn until they discover he's not a scavenger.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rey and BB8 spontaneously beat & taser Finn until they discover he's not a thief.

Fixed that for you.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Because Rey is so morally against stealing from crashed warships.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danger posted:

Stealing from other scavengers seems like a no-no on noted shithole Jakku. BB-8 saw the jacket, told Rey, and she chased him down, accused him of the act, beat and tazed him (bro) a bit until he told them Poe's name and what happened.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Poe's dialogue actually most resembles Princess Leia honestly.

Poe's role in the movie is also similar to Leia's in the original in some ways. Not just because he's the one who gives the droid the thing that kicks off the plot, but also because he gets rescued by someone dressed as a storm trooper and then immediately takes charge in escaping, and isn't in a large portion of the movie despite being treated as one of the "main" characters in marketing. One might say he's Leia's protege the way Han took Rey and, to a lesser extent, Finn under his wing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Rey has no idea Poe is 'dead' or that he was even on a crashed warship. Literally the only thing BB8 knows is that Poe went off to do a thing and was supposed to meet him at that settlement. She jumps to a conclusion but has no reason to assume that Poe scavanged the jacket from a crashed TIE Fighter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Rey has no idea Poe is 'dead' or that he was even on a crashed warship. Literally the only thing BB8 knows is that Poe went off to do a thing and was supposed to meet him at that settlement. She jumps to a conclusion but has no reason to assume that Poe scavanged the jacket from a crashed TIE Fighter.

Nor would BB-8 know how he got it, not being there at the time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The interview the clip is from is very good and gives some insight into the apparent contradiction in the soundbite. Lucas digs deep into his past as an artist to explain how he views his legacy, and it's clear that he doesn't care about the money and that Star Wars is very dear to his heart, more of a personal project than a carefully-conceived commercial product. He sold the rights because he wanted to retire instead of managing the details of this massive cultural phenomenon that he had constructed, and the only way to do that was to put it in the hands of some entity that would make it difficult for him to become involved in future projects. The break-up analogy is really apt: you don't want to move on and it's not easy, but it's for the best. Hence the gallows humor about the whole thing.

Yeah I had a look at it afterwards and his decision makes alot more sense in that context. It's a shame he never got round to making the sequel trilogy himself, I've been rewatching the series and I'd somewhat agree with this thread that the PT is unfairly maligned, but yeah the guy is in his seventies and I can see him not wanting to be directing episode IX on his death bed

Rey and BB8 spontaneously beat & taser Finn until they discover he's not a scavenger.

He's one of the good ones- good stormtroopers I mean

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Steampunk Gent posted:

He's one of the good ones- good stormtroopers I mean

Pretty hosed up that they immediately assume the only black guy on Jakku is a thief if you ask me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Stealing from other scavengers seems like a no-no on noted shithole Jakku.

You mean like when Rey stole from Teedo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Rey did not steal from Teedo. Teedo was attempting to steal BB8 who was droid on a mission for his master. Rey freed him and gave him advice on how to complete his mission before she was guilted into going along with him. I'm pretty sure that if you sent R2-D2 down the street to get some milk from the store it still counts as stealing if someone tries to grab him.

(There's something to be said about the uncomfortable realm of robot slavery but y'know.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danger posted:

I am going to guess Teedo is the guy who tossed a net over BB-8. It seems like it's also a no-no (for her at least) to do it to working droids, she says he has "no respect" for anything/anyone (I forget the exact quote) afterwards.

But you can tell it's not just "she thinks Finn's a scavenger" because she says exactly what she and BB-8 are accusing him of.

quote:

(There's something to be said about the uncomfortable realm of robot slavery but y'know.)

It's interesting to note how the protagonists treat BB-8 actually.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Why would anyone laugh at Ren taking off the helmet? I guess it's just a moment of released tension when he's revealed to not be a horrible burn victim like Vader?

I laughed because he look like a sweaty teenager instead of a chiseled villain or something. I honestly don't know what I was expecting.

He redeemed it by keeping the same intimidating voice which I thought was impressive. Really I find Kylo to be the character PT Anakin should have been.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sylink posted:

I laughed because he look like a sweaty teenager instead of a chiseled villain or something. I honestly don't know what I was expecting.

I didn't laugh at him taking it off though I did crack a smile at Rey's reaction to it. "Oh he actually did"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

Stealing from other scavengers seems like a no-no on noted shithole Jakku.

Rey's boss stole the Millenium Falcon, and then Rey steals it from him. The boss also tries to steal her droid.

Scavengers tear apart ships the instant they crash, without even checking for survivors.

Rey stays on Jakku to punish herself. She hates scavengers.

Contrast with Vader, who works with the 'scum' that even the Rebels reject.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Beeez posted:

Poe's role in the movie is also similar to Leia's in the original in some ways. Not just because he's the one who gives the droid the thing that kicks off the plot, but also because he gets rescued by someone dressed as a storm trooper and then immediately takes charge in escaping, and isn't in a large portion of the movie despite being treated as one of the "main" characters in marketing. One might say he's Leia's protege the way Han took Rey and, to a lesser extent, Finn under his wing.

Poe was also the one strapped to the chair facing that hovering torture droid (or whatever that thing is)

I actually was thinking about how a lot of the characters take on multiple ANH "roles". Poe as you mentioned is like Leia, but also like Luke (X-wing pilot who goes on a trench run and is best friends with a plucky droid) but also even a little like Obi Wan in the way he provides Finn with an identity (Obi Wan tells Luke the "truth" about his Jedi heritage, Poe literally gives Finn a name and mission). Han Solo is himself but obviously really matches Obi Wan in his arc showing up partway through the movie to mentor the younger characters. Finn and Rey have elements of all of them, they both obviously resemble Luke but also Han (Rey is an expert pilot of the Falcon, Finn is a survivor who just wants to run away but returns to help his friends) and there are obviously some parallels between Leia and Rey.

It's actually really interesting the way they took those archetypes and broke them apart and spread them around the cast.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Poe was also the one strapped to the chair facing that hovering torture droid (or whatever that thing is)

I actually was thinking about how a lot of the characters take on multiple ANH "roles". Poe as you mentioned is like Leia, but also like Luke (X-wing pilot who goes on a trench run and is best friends with a plucky droid) but also even a little like Obi Wan in the way he provides Finn with an identity (Obi Wan tells Luke the "truth" about his Jedi heritage, Poe literally gives Finn a name and mission). Han Solo is himself but obviously really matches Obi Wan in his arc showing up partway through the movie to mentor the younger characters. Finn and Rey have elements of all of them, they both obviously resemble Luke but also Han (Rey is an expert pilot of the Falcon, Finn is a survivor who just wants to run away but returns to help his friends) and there are obviously some parallels between Leia and Rey.

It's actually really interesting the way they took those archetypes and broke them apart and spread them around the cast.

Yep. Finn's similarity to Han is further pronounced, too, because he was brought up in a culture of violent outlaws but still manages to learn to care about other people.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

RBA Starblade posted:

It's interesting to note how the protagonists treat BB-8 actually.

There was quite a lot of, for want of a better term, droids rights stuff in there.

A part that stuck out for me was having the tentacle monsters do the same action as BB-8 had done minutes before with his wires. They were like giant biological BB-8s and it felt very specific to me.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Something I found funny about the rathtar scene is the way Rey saves Finn vs how Luke beats the rancor in RotJ. I guess one Force power is precision door-closing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The film stresses that Rey is impoverished by choice. She can leave the planet at any point, and is hypercompetent at like five different skills.

"At any point" is stretching it. The only reason she and Finn manage to hijack the piece of junk is because the town is being strafed and there's total chaos.

Plus it's not exactly inaccurate to have poor people engaging in self-entrapping behavior, out of a sense of obligation to family or community. Consider the end of Kes where the boy's brother kills the kestrel because he resents the idea that his brother might do anything except lead the exact same life he does. It's easy to instill a sense in the lower classes that they have to stay where they are, even if you've already made social mobility nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Literally the first thing we're shown is Rey being a scavenger, her "theft" from another scavenger involves freeing a distressed droid from slavery or dismantling (if TFA were a George Lucas film this action would be immediately praised for its connotations WRT droid rights). Large portions of the film are spent focused on salvaged goods with high esteem/respect/fear (Luke's Lightsaber, Vader's helmet, First Order's repainted fleet, the Millenium Falcon, R2-D2), it's alluded to that Rey is a remnant of Luke's murdered Jedi Council (making her a scavenged good in her own right).

This argument that the film consists of or supports a narrative where the rebels hate poor scavenging citizens is incredibly strained. In addition, considering these conflicting readings together show a lack of faith in prior readings of droids as independent beings, and at worst present an incredibly troubling argument when applied to reality (Harriet Tubman showed extreme contempt for the southern proletariat by stealing countless goods over the course of years!).

If we're going to attribute anything to the prevalence of scavengers and reclaimed goods, I'd argue in favor of the film depicting the rebel characters finding respect for their past while focusing on moving on, while the empire consists of figures refusing to let go of "the good ol' days"; Luke's Saber being used as a practical tool instead of an esteemed religious artifact, vs. Kylo Ren's worship of Vader's breathing mask, the Millenium Falcon having to earn back its respect, Rey's eventual acceptance towards moving past Jakku (Tattooine 2), Snoke's emulation of The Emperor, Hux's inadequacy in Tarkin's role, Kylo Ren's crisis when faced with his father, Rey's respectful-yet-independent greeting of Luke, Snoke's disregard for the Starkiller in favor of retaining McVader, etc.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 31, 2015

• Locked thread