Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Please stay away from the thread for it in TVIV, it will make you much more mad.

What's going on in that(Making a Murderer) thread that's so anger inducing? Seems like reasonable discussion to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sleeveless posted:

Rodney Ascher's whole gimmick is giving mentally ill people enough rope to hang themselves while saying nothing to the contrary. I doubt he thinks sleep paralysis is a spiritual affliction anymore than he thinks The Shining is about Kubrick faking the moon landings or the logo for Screen Gems is the embodiment of evil.

I wouldn't go that far, or rather I wouldn't be that uncharitable. What makes you think he is exploiting the mentally ill?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

caligulamprey posted:

Did you know that Netflix not only has a special TV Fireplace special filmed in 4k, they loving had TWO OF THEM THAT FEATURE DIFFERENT TYPES OF WOOD?
Yeah they've had at least one of those for years. I seem to recall a bubbling fish tank one as well, but the fireplace tends to pop up in suggestions during the holidays so more people stumble across it.

You watched the BoJack Horseman christmas special, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They just added an Inspector Gadget New Year's thing that is surprisingly hard to get through for a two-minute short

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Spike Lee's Chi-Raq is coming to Prime on February 4th. I hope they stick with this two month window between theatrical and prime release.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm watching through Detectorists and cannot possibly see the guy as anything but his character from the Pirates movies. It's like he was born an 18th century pirate and will die an 18th century pirate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm watching through Detectorists and cannot possibly see the guy as anything but his character from the Pirates movies. It's like he was born an 18th century pirate and will die an 18th century pirate.

I always see him as Gareth from the Office.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I suggested The Babadook because even though it has a couple BOO moments they aren't used in place of actual dread.

Under the Skin is another great option.

There weren't really any jump scares that aren't genuinely creepy in one way or another. I guess I should have said no cheap jump scares. Those stopped spiking my adrenaline ages ago, and that was when just the mere sight of a half decent scary alien would make me cower in fear.

Babadook is really good. Not to mention... well just see the drat movie for yourself, I feel like I would either spoil something or sound like an idiot talking about the themes of the movie. The so called "jump scares" were really the climax to a really intensely creepy gooddamn couple of scenes.

Also it has some of those straight up creepy scenes where they use creepy imagery but in a subtle way.

Any more good horror movie recommendations for netflix? Obviously I'd go for the headier psychological horror with some body horror if at all possible.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 31, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NeoSeeker posted:

There weren't really any jump scares that aren't genuinely creepy in one way or another. I guess I should have said no cheap jump scares. Those stopped spiking my adrenaline ages ago, and that was when just the mere sight of a half decent scary alien would make me cower in fear.

Babadook is really good. Not to mention... well just see the drat movie for yourself, I feel like I would either spoil something or sound like an idiot talking about the themes of the movie. The so called "jump scares" were really the climax to a really intensely creepy gooddamn couple of scenes.

Also it has some of those straight up creepy scenes where they use creepy imagery but in a subtle way.

Any more good horror movie recommendations for netflix? Obviously I'd go for the headier psychological horror with some body horror if at all possible.

If you've seen A Nightmare on Elm Street, I'd recommend Wes Craven's New Nightmare as a follow-up to The Babadook. Both play on some of the same themes (although New Nightmare gets really meta-fictional) and Babadook even uses some of the same imagery as New Nightmare.

Re-Animator and Hellraiser aren't the most cerebral of horror films, but they'll probably scratch that body horror itch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you've seen A Nightmare on Elm Street, I'd recommend Wes Craven's New Nightmare as a follow-up to The Babadook. Both play on some of the same themes (although New Nightmare gets really meta-fictional) and Babadook even uses some of the same imagery as New Nightmare.

Re-Animator and Hellraiser aren't the most cerebral of horror films,

i'd quibble that point on Hellraiser but i should probably keep it to the horror thread

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd quibble that point on Hellraiser but i should probably keep it to the horror thread

Fair point. It does have a good dose of thematic material to chew on, but (this might sound really stupid) it doesn't try to make a big deal about how heavy it is. I guess I'd more say it's as smart or brainless as you want it to be, where you can just as easily enjoy it on a surface level or if you want to dig in to its subtext.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fair point. It does have a good dose of thematic material to chew on, but (this might sound really stupid) it doesn't try to make a big deal about how heavy it is. I guess I'd more say it's as smart or brainless as you want it to be, where you can just as easily enjoy it on a surface level or if you want to dig in to its subtext.

yeah it's super visceral and not at all subtle so i get your point

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

precision posted:

I always see him as Gareth from the Office.

I've never seen the original Office but the dude looks like a loving pirate. I don't even think they had to give him a costume for the movies he just showed up ready to film.

I also just went and looked it up and apparently he is not the same pirate looking guy that occasionally showed up in the background of Jackass.

Anyway Detectorists really makes me want to go outside and run around an open field for some reason.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 31, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Has anyone mentioned that Making a Murderer is one of the most infuriating things they've ever watched? No one? Really? Well, let me be the first to tell you, it is one of the most infuriating things I've ever watched.

By episode two I thought it would be impossible for episode four to be as infuriating as everyone was making it out to be. "How could this possibly get worse?", I thought to myself. Boy, did it sure deliver. I don't even know how to react to all this because if I go with anger I might just give myself an aneurysm.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Has anyone mentioned that Making a Murderer is one of the most infuriating things they've ever watched? No one? Really? Well, let me be the first to tell you, it is one of the most infuriating things I've ever watched.

By episode two I thought it would be impossible for episode four to be as infuriating as everyone was making it out to be. "How could this possibly get worse?", I thought to myself. Boy, did it sure deliver. I don't even know how to react to all this because if I go with anger I might just give myself an aneurysm.

As someone who hasn't watch this, are these reactions from quality or content?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Franchescanado posted:

Content.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

If it was from quality none of us would have made it that far. Content. The content is horrifying.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I do like me some horrifying content

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe listen to the Radiolab episode about the guy as a warm-up. It's kind of a short tour of the content you might see a lot more of in the show.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So is Making a Murderer good-infuriating or bad-infuriating? Like, don't miss it, or don't bother with it? Because all I keep hearing is how how much it pisses people off, and not much else. :v:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

cat doter posted:

I do like me some horrifying content

It's not gory, if that's what you're thinking. How small town people eat their own and the failure of the legal system at every level utterly destroy lives in the documentary is what makes me want to throw my television out the window, then throw myself out after it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LogisticEarth posted:

So is Making a Murderer good-infuriating or bad-infuriating? Like, don't miss it, or don't bother with it? Because all I keep hearing is how how much it pisses people off, and not much else. :v:

Watch it if you want all your worst fears about the way the world works confirmed.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LogisticEarth posted:

Good-infuriating. It's the story of a man who hasn't just been failed by the media and legal system, but targeted every step of the way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

mysterious frankie posted:

It's not gory, if that's what you're thinking. How small town people eat their own and the failure of the legal system at every level utterly destroy lives in the documentary is what makes me want to throw my television out the window, then throw myself out after it.

Lurdiak posted:

Watch it if you want all your worst fears about the way the world works confirmed.

hmm ooh yeah daddy like

just gonna add this to my list!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Re-Animator and Hellraiser aren't the most cerebral of horror films, but they'll probably scratch that body horror itch.

If I've only seen Elm Street 1 and 2, is it okay to watch NN next or should I watch more of the series first?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You'd be fine but three is the only other movie in the series worth a watch. It's good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

crondaily posted:

If I've only seen Elm Street 1 and 2, is it okay to watch NN next or should I watch more of the series first?

You might want to watch Dream Warriors first because it's the only other film in the numbered series that features Heather Langenkamp, and it's a pretty good movie too. New Nightmare mostly plays off the first movie, though, so it's not essential to watch Dream Warriors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LogisticEarth posted:

It's the kind of documentary that makes you want to round up a posse and expedite some vigilante justice. :cop:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LogisticEarth posted:

It's a documentary that shows you a case where no one should be convicted based on the obviously planted evidence and coerced confessions and yet some people still are.

Whether or not he did it doesn't really matter, it's that the way the investigation was processed makes it really scary if the police decide they don't like you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

It's the kind of documentary that makes you want to round up a posse and expedite some vigilante justice. :cop:

Much like your posting :v:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can anyone recommend a good horror flick or two on Netflix? It's hard to tell what's worth watching because horror movies always seem to have low ratings, even the good ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

morestuff posted:

You'd be fine but three is the only other movie in the series worth a watch. It's good.

3 is also where Freddy gets most of his iconic shtick from. He already started making lovely one-liners in 2, but 3 is where he gets really sassy and kills people in crazy ironic ways.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rough Lobster posted:

Can anyone recommend a good horror flick or two on Netflix? It's hard to tell what's worth watching because horror movies always seem to have low ratings, even the good ones.

What kind of horror did you have in mind? If you're enjoying the new Era of girl power horror films then You're Next and Kristy are both pretty fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rough Lobster posted:

Can't go wrong with Korean horror. Check out "The Guard Post," for instance, it used to be up on netflix. Check out the korean movie thread in CD, there's a lot of great recommends and way more words than I'd care to repeat on a lot of very excellent and scary films.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Chichevache posted:

What kind of horror did you have in mind? If you're enjoying the new Era of girl power horror films then You're Next and Kristy are both pretty fun.

I did really like You're Next, I'll check out Kristy.

Also I'll keep an eye out for some Korean stuff. I enjoyed The Man From Nowhere and The Host.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

The Babadook, Occulus, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night I think are all still available for horror.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rough Lobster posted:

I did really like You're Next, I'll check out Kristy.

Also I'll keep an eye out for some Korean stuff. I enjoyed The Man From Nowhere and The Host.

New World for Korean stuff, my favorite movie of last year.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lurdiak posted:

3 is also where Freddy gets most of his iconic shtick from. He already started making lovely one-liners in 2, but 3 is where he gets really sassy and kills people in crazy ironic ways.

"Welcome to primetime, bitch!"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just finished episode 2 of Making A Murderer.

The series wouldn't exist if he killed her but right now I'm thinking the dude killed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

drunken officeparty posted:

Just finished episode 2 of Making A Murderer.

The series wouldn't exist if he killed her but right now I'm thinking the dude killed her.

Use Spoilers for the people who haven't watched yet, but what would lead you to believe he killed her?