Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I've been having pretty ridiculous luck with drops. Within the last three days I've gotten a five-link chest, a well-rolled Facebreakers, an exalted, a six-link 2H, and just now a Shavronne's Wrappings.

What can I get to really trick out my dual flame totem build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I've been having pretty ridiculous luck with drops. Within the last three days I've gotten a five-link chest, a well-rolled Facebreakers, an exalted, a six-link 2H, and just now a Shavronne's Wrappings.

What can I get to really trick out my dual flame totem build?

Use your shavs and go low life.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm trying to transition my ED/Contagion build to include Righteous Fire on HC.
I have the Rise of the Phoenix and about 2ex to spend.
Is the idea to go full ES + Chaos Inoculation + Zealot's Oath and then pick as much +ES nodes and Regen nodes as possible?
I'm currently hybrid (3.5k/4.5k) but that seems counterproductive to RF.

Are there specific items I could shop for? I never played with Righteous Fire yet.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is the OP guide still relevant?

I've just downloaded this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Acht posted:

I'm trying to transition my ED/Contagion build to include Righteous Fire on HC.
I have the Rise of the Phoenix and about 2ex to spend.
Is the idea to go full ES + Chaos Inoculation + Zealot's Oath and then pick as much +ES nodes and Regen nodes as possible?
I'm currently hybrid (3.5k/4.5k) but that seems counterproductive to RF.

Are there specific items I could shop for? I never played with Righteous Fire yet.

RF doesn't work with CI, as it automatically shuts off when your life is 1. And your life is always 1.

If you want RF, you want pure life.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Phobophilia posted:

RF doesn't work with CI, as it automatically shuts off when your life is 1. And your life is always 1.

If you want RF, you want pure life.

Thanks. Guess it will be a new alt then!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WastedJoker posted:

Is the OP guide still relevant?

I've just downloaded this.

Yes, the OP is from the last major patch, just under 3 weeks ago.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have two general rules that I try and follow for myself, and I think they've helped keep the game as fresh as it is for me after all these leagues:

1) Never roll the same thing twice, unless a sufficient amount of changes have been made and/or it's been a really long loving time.

2) Whenever I roll the next character, it's always a different archtype of build. Melee -> Ranged -> Caster -> CoC -> Trapper, etc.

This league I started with ED/Contagion that ended up being a poison Bladefall Shadow. Then I rolled a tanky Marauder Blast Rain guy. Now I'm currently doing CoC. My next character I am thinking of some sort of Iron Will Arc build, or Glacial Hammer / Frost Blades.

The upside is that things are always fresh, or as close to being always fresh as you can reasonably make it. The downside is that some builds turn out to be huge turds, either because they were bad ideas to begin with or because I hate the playstyle.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Conclusion: keeping up frenzy stacks so your snakebites poison is an ungodly bitch, I'm no longer bothering with this. I've slotted poison in my blast rain instead. Also, this opens up a new set of slots for CwDT, which is nice defensively.

Besides, poison on voltaxic lightning arrow isn't very effective. It's way too inconsistent: you either deal no damage and hence no DoT, or you deal so much damage that the mob evaporates.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
If you have a mod or a passive skill that gives X% Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life, and you use a skill like Glacial Hammer that converts 50% Physical damage to Cold, does that mean you lose 50% of the leech that you would otherwise get? Or does it calculate the leech on the Physical damage before it gets converted?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Xequecal posted:

If you have a mod or a passive skill that gives X% Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life, and you use a skill like Glacial Hammer that converts 50% Physical damage to Cold, does that mean you lose 50% of the leech that you would otherwise get? Or does it calculate the leech on the Physical damage before it gets converted?

AFAIK, Leech is only based on the actual damage you deal; so, it's post conversion, armor reduction, etc.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Conclusion: keeping up frenzy stacks so your snakebites poison is an ungodly bitch...

That is what this is for:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Pacifism

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

AFAIK, Leech is only based on the actual damage you deal; so, it's post conversion, armor reduction, etc.

Note that the attack damage leech wheel near duelist applies to both elemental and physical so you might want to look into that if you're going part phys/ele melee.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Actually, I just started playing this, and am probably going to go for a 1H/shield tank character with life regen and life leech first so I can learn the mechanics without dying all the time. It seems to me that all the strength attack melee skills either convert damage or are built around stunning your targets. Since whether you get to stun or not seems to be based off the total damage done, those don't seem like they would work well on a low damage tank char. That leaves the conversion skill gems, but all the leech in the strength area of the passive skill tree seems to be based on physical damage only, so trying to use leech with any of those also seems bad.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ronya posted:

is your Cybil's a paw+shield build, or a paw+paw build?

Paw & Shield, otherwise I wouldn't get near enough block.

Phobophilia posted:

link tree and gear please

Here's the current tree with the character here under Balarr.

Uniques are Cybil's Paw, Stone of Lazhwar, & Lioneye's Remorse (because finding a 1000+ Armour, 80 life, 30% block Rare shield was drat near impossible when Lioneye's Remorse is sitting right there). Rainbowstride is a consideration, but I haven't been missing the other 15% spell block at the moment and I've been trying to fix the rest of my gear first. Rumi's would replace the Granite when I get off my rear end and pay the 40-50 chaos for it.

If I could ever get a 5-link, I'd add Controlled Destruction to Blade Vortex.

You end up with 27% block from the tree, with +3% more coming from +1% block jewels and the other 3% from Tempest Shield. Could reroute something to pickup 2 more jewel slots (I'm on my way to 1 more in the next 3 levels) to get 65% with Tempest Shield up, but eh.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 31, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It's a lot more fun to play this game when you pick a build that isn't poo poo and roll up a good character instead of just picking stuff at random based on some stupid idea you had at 2AM.

My only beef is that the trading sucks. It sucks so bad. I've got a few characters at around 50 right now and I'm starting to hit some gear walls. I've started to trade, and it's just the worst. It feels like I'm browsing the want-ads in a newspaper and playing phone tag with strangers. I just want to trade my stuff for someone else's stuff. :(

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It's a lot more fun to play this game when you pick a build that isn't poo poo and roll up a good character instead of just picking stuff at random based on some stupid idea you had at 2AM.

My only beef is that the trading sucks. It sucks so bad. I've got a few characters at around 50 right now and I'm starting to hit some gear walls. I've started to trade, and it's just the worst. It feels like I'm browsing the want-ads in a newspaper and playing phone tag with strangers. I just want to trade my stuff for someone else's stuff. :(

The first box I check on every single poe.tr search I do is "online only" unless it's like a one of a kind item. Even then it's this awful fruitless roulette of unanswered PMs, people who are in fact offline, and my personal favorite, dude who pretends he's already sold the item and promptly relists it for 2-4 times his previous listed buyout.

Recently I was trying to get a particular jewel with an odd combo of stats, somewhat well-known dude had what I needed with a b/o of 3 chaos. I PM him, he doesn't reply, but I can see him zoning around between hideouts, towns etc, so I try again. Still doesn't reply. I try again. Now he claims he's in a map, despite whois telling me he's in Sarn. I say alright, whatever, hit me up if you want to sell. Forty minutes later he replies with "sry alrdy sold", then not a minute later, relists it for 30c. Luckily I'd found a virtually identical jewel during his horseshit and paid 2c. I just don't understand poo poo like this at all, and yet it happens constantly.

Word is HC is better for this because items and characters are constantly leaving the league, so there's more incentive to continue trading past the first few days into the league.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Xequecal posted:

Actually, I just started playing this, and am probably going to go for a 1H/shield tank character with life regen and life leech first so I can learn the mechanics without dying all the time. It seems to me that all the strength attack melee skills either convert damage or are built around stunning your targets. Since whether you get to stun or not seems to be based off the total damage done, those don't seem like they would work well on a low damage tank char. That leaves the conversion skill gems, but all the leech in the strength area of the passive skill tree seems to be based on physical damage only, so trying to use leech with any of those also seems bad.

Ice crash tank guy is really really powerful and fun.

What is a good 4 link for cast when damage taken for a tornado shot character? I can't figure this poo poo out anymore.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Washout posted:

Ice crash tank guy is really really powerful and fun.

What is a good 4 link for cast when damage taken for a tornado shot character? I can't figure this poo poo out anymore.

CwDT, Immortal Call, Increased duration and ??? Is usually pretty popular from what I've seen.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
When I was playing tornado shot I used Blood Rage as the last link in my CWDT item.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RosaParksOfDip posted:

CwDT, Immortal Call, Increased duration and ??? Is usually pretty popular from what I've seen.

Enfeeble? Unless you need a curse to generate charges and mana.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

gently caress no

i invested in these 7 frenzy charges for a reason

and i only get 2-3 jewel nodes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
volls protector drops in a map

hey why not, i'm sitting on a dragon's hoard of jewelers and fuses from my many dried lake runs

80-something jewelers later

oh hey gently caress it i'll try for a 6L and burn my money up

164 fuses later

:stare:

270 chroms later

:catstare:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chromatics, identify scrolls, and portal scrolls shouldn't exist. Oh and all classes should have access to the same vendor gems.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Chromatics, identify scrolls, and portal scrolls shouldn't exist. Oh and all classes should have access to the same vendor gems.

I'm down with all of these except getting rid of chroms; what's the difference between those and jewelers/fuses?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

vOv posted:

I'm down with all of these except getting rid of chroms; what's the difference between those and jewelers/fuses?

Needing the right sockets sucks when leveling, sucks after you've 5/6 linked things. Chroms always loving suck. Prismatic eclipse and other socket dependent items are interesting but not enough so.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Identify and Portal scrolls are a relic of the past, but Chromatics are a pretty unique part of the game I wouldn't want to see changed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like chromes/jewelers/fuses but there needs to be a way to auto-click them basically. Like I should be able to click my item once and have it spend as many currencies as it takes to get what I want, automatically. RNG fuckery sucks, even with Vagan, IMO.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chromatics are also a way to balance gear, since socket colours are tied to attribute requirements.

I could run a Lightning Coil on a build that requires 5 blue sockets in my 6L, but I would probably gain more satisfaction from shooting myself in the face rather than trying for the 22,000 chromatics you would on average need to get it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Ripped my level 78 dual Dreamfeathers phys build in a reflect map tonight. It was going fine until I decided to stand on shocked ground and crit a pack. Oh well! Goodbye 80% movement speed, I don't know how I'll ever get over you.

edit: onto another cleave build!

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 1, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I like chromes/jewelers/fuses but there needs to be a way to auto-click them basically. Like I should be able to click my item once and have it spend as many currencies as it takes to get what I want, automatically. RNG fuckery sucks, even with Vagan, IMO.

But that's literally what Vorici does? You can't dial in the exact coloring, though.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 1, 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

2015 restrospective from Chris. Bolded part mine, since I don't recall seeing anything about an ascendancy release date before this, but maybe I missed it.

quote:

It's the start of 2016 here in New Zealand, so we wanted to post our annual retrospective on 2015. At the end of 2014, we said that it was our best year ever. We're proud to announce that 2015 was a better year for both the game and the company. 2016 is hopefully going to be an even bigger year - we've got some really exciting stuff planned, starting with the Ascendancy expansion in March.

In 2015:

Path of Exile continued its international expansion, with launches in Thailand, Russia/CIS and Brazil.
We released our largest expansion ever: The Awakening, and announced our next expansion: Ascendancy.
In addition to challenge leagues, we ran many one-month events, including the experimental Darkshrine events.
Path of Exile had its highest number of hours played in a year.
Players set a record for Supporter Pack purchases. We can't thank you enough for your amazing support.
We sold well over a million stash tabs and over 50 Pukeko Pets! :P
Grinding Gear Games expanded to 60 staff and moved to a new, larger office with room for 110 developers!
We deployed 70 updates/patches to our realm and an equivalent number to each of the Garena realms.
We released the final two issues of our Digital Comic series and a physical Trade Paperback version.
We completed 120 Divination Cards designed by Supporters.
We almost completely fixed desync.
Zero shields were turned into Kiwis. There were, however, some cats.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
They set a hard date for the end of the Talisman leagues (March 4th) because they knew when they were releasing Ascendancy. See: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1491062/

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Larry Parrish posted:

I think people would really flip out when they saw the cost of rolling the exact colours they want from Vorici above the options he already has. Actually that many chromes is more than a stash tab full of them so it might not even work.

whoops double post

Budgie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 1, 2016

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are Wings of Entropy still any good? I tend to dink around on whatever variation of my dumbass summoner build I want to make first and then start doing even stupider builds later but these dropped as I was screwing around solo and now I'm curious.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Are Wings of Entropy still any good? I tend to dink around on whatever variation of my dumbass summoner build I want to make first and then start doing even stupider builds later but these dropped as I was screwing around solo and now I'm curious.

They're still fine, but the combination of nerfs to their inherent block, Bringer of Rain and block on the tree made the build that used them significantly worse than other options.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I enjoy rolling up some pre-made builds and doing new stuff, but sometimes I want to try some new characters. At the same time, I don't want to spend hours rolling up something that will be a complete deadend waste of time. How long does it take to become familiar enough with the game that you can tell when something's a dead end?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

They're still fine, but the combination of nerfs to their inherent block, Bringer of Rain and block on the tree made the build that used them significantly worse than other options.

Kinda what I figured but I hadn't bothered to actually look yet, thanks much.

May still wind up doing something stupid with them, just not right now :v:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I enjoy rolling up some pre-made builds and doing new stuff, but sometimes I want to try some new characters. At the same time, I don't want to spend hours rolling up something that will be a complete deadend waste of time. How long does it take to become familiar enough with the game that you can tell when something's a dead end?

theorycrafting's a matter of browsing the wiki and posting it in public so you can see what you've missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread