Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

♤♡◇♧☆~<*>~grinder 4 life~<*>~♤♡◇♧☆

xXPigletflametraps4healthXx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

widespread posted:

:agreed:

The Wild Hair, Wildey-er Hardware pack, containing the Robert Russ Afro mask, the Charlie Bronco Toupee mask, and more!

Also features the Wildest Pistol, chambered in .475 Wildest Magnum. Real stopping power. The .475 Wildest Magnum is a shorter version of the Argentinian Large Game Cartridge. Makes a real mess.

And if you order now, you'll also receive the new Tip Traylor heister pack! Tip Traylor, he's... well, I dunno who or what the gently caress he's supposed to be, but he's ecstatic about killing cops at least! And ecstatic about a lot of other things too. He even brings a new grenade: the confetti stick! Amaze cops before they eat a .475 Wildest Magnum to their dumb faces!

I'll take my money over PayPay, Overkill. Thank you.

Sold. I don't care if I'd have to pay $20 for this or for the dreamed of Bill Murray pack, I want to laugh as I kill. Whether its a sardonic kind of ribbing of poo poo going wrong or Rip just having a grand old time watching fun-fetty explode out of a dozer's face plate, its just as close as we can get until full on Jollo Heister.

I mean, we are clowns aren't we?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 1, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Three dollars in the steam wallet.

Finally able to use the market

Lets buy some loving christmas skins

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Hi I just started playing this game seriously for the first time and I love to dodge and grind

My grinder build uses those 2 fugitive skills that rely on concealment and getting the pirate barrel for the gl40 or any historical mask so I can conceal my mosin feels like an impossible dream

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Crabtree posted:

Sold. I don't care if I'd have to pay $20 for this or for the dreamed of Bill Murray pack, I want to laugh as I kill. Whether its a sardonic kind of ribbing of poo poo going wrong or Rip just having a grand old time watching fun-fetty explode out of a dozer's face plate, its just as close as we can get until full on Jollo Heister.

I mean, we are clowns aren't we?

Rip and Jollo/Ed Wynn. Just imagine a two person heist with them two.

Now pay me $20 more to play it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If he knows how to work a Grinder build, there's no reason he can't learn to make it work on DW. There's no need to shove people toward ICTV unless they've made it clear that they can't make any other build work. And this particular individual seems uninterested in the slowness associated with ICTV.

He should be aware though that grinder isn't ez mode on DW like a lot of pubs assume it is. It is actually a lot more of a conservative playstyle than a rogue dodge build so in that sense it's not that different from an ICTV build.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Hi I just started playing this game seriously for the first time and I love to dodge and grind

My grinder build uses those 2 fugitive skills that rely on concealment and getting the pirate barrel for the gl40 or any historical mask so I can conceal my mosin feels like an impossible dream

The Historical achievements are all pretty easy. Just pick one and do it. Or use different guns. There are a lot of options now, with the concealment booster.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

The Historical achievements are all pretty easy. Just pick one and do it. Or use different guns. There are a lot of options now, with the concealment booster.

I'm a slut for an ironsight and bolt action on my sniper I guess. Holdover from call of duty 1.
How's the historical LMG stack up?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

I'm a slut for an ironsight and bolt action on my sniper I guess. Holdover from call of duty 1.
How's the historical LMG stack up?

It's really good. Some people don't like LMGs, and that's fine. But the Buzzsaw is probably the best LMG, so if you like LMGs, try using it.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

It's really good. Some people don't like LMGs, and that's fine. But the Buzzsaw is probably the best LMG, so if you like LMGs, try using it.

Sick & I love LMGs because my dick works right. Time to work on building that Muscle.
I'd do more heists with Goons but I feel like a lot of you guys use Jacket and hardly any pubbies do so I can always snag him. I had some guy asking me which mask came with the android voice pack the other day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Sick & I love LMGs because my dick works right. Time to work on building that Muscle.
I'd do more heists with Goons but I feel like a lot of you guys use Jacket and hardly any pubbies do so I can always snag him. I had some guy asking me which mask came with the android voice pack the other day.

That is such a lovely reason to touch the stove, god drat.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

That is such a lovely reason to touch the stove, god drat.

:thejoke:

There's really no good reason I'm not camping the stairs yet. Maybe after my 1st infamous so I fit in with all the cool spadehavers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

:thejoke:

There's really no good reason I'm not camping the stairs yet. Maybe after my 1st infamous so I fit in with all the cool spadehavers.

Jesus Christ, just play with goons you sperg. We will only make fun if your nerd voice for the first week or so.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Drewjitsu posted:

Jesus Christ, just play with goons you sperg. We will only make fun if your nerd voice for the first week or so.

But if you shoot the driver you'll never live it down.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

isndl posted:

But if you shoot the driver you'll never live it down.

This is correct. Never shoot the driver.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Drewjitsu posted:

If you're asking about DW builds, I'm going to assume that you don't have a lot of experience with dw. While grinder works well on DW, it's much easier to get the hang of DW while playing in an ICTV. It's a very different experience from ovk difficulty, with a tremendous amount of bunkering down, instead of ranging all over the map, slaying cops at will.

Confirming this part for sure. When goons carry me through deathwish heists it's cuz I waddled around in ICTV mostly not dying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's fine to shoot the driver, you just have to do it ironically. I like laying a molotov on the place he lands, or angling an RPG to hit his truck outside the bounds of the map.

Fun new tricks, 1 and 2:

1. On Under the Mountain, you can break the escape chopper. Doing so will make it glitch out and need to be repaired before you can escape.

2. On Birth of Sky, make the first pallet you finish be the broken one. Have two other players stand next to the two remaining pallets when you finish. The game will freak out and Locke will try to collect both at once. Hilarity will ensue, but you will only need to skylift one additional pallet before the sewers trigger. The SWAT vans will never arrive.

That's actually potentially handy on DW...hm.

I've bit the bullet and decided that Death Vox needs a full combat rebalance- harder than Overkill, not as stupid or bad as DW. Writing it up now, posting it soon.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 1, 2016

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
It's a bit better than it used to be, but armour is still considerably inferior to grinder/dodge builds on DW. Unlike when DW first came out, you won't get outright slaughtered when using ICTV and Muscle, and the recent perk deck re-balance helped some, but it's really important to know where and when to take cover because your armour and life will be shot up very quick if you don't.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:crossarms: DW has been around a lot longer than perk decks have been, and suit dodge wasn't more than a weird gimmick until they introduced perk decks and the Fugitive tree.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Drewjitsu posted:

contesting this. nobody pointed out how very gay I sound. several months and nobody even tried to make fun of my gay lisp. what is this poo poo. is it only nerd voices or something

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Clearly you need to make it more nasally and try to come up with your own difficulty as we are shooting cops.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

If you're asking about DW builds, I'm going to assume that you don't have a lot of experience with dw. While grinder works well on DW, it's much easier to get the hang of DW while playing in an ICTV. It's a very different experience from ovk difficulty, with a tremendous amount of bunkering down, instead of ranging all over the map, slaying cops at will.

Yeah, pretty much. I've done some Deathwish but most of it involved stealth maps or straight up getting carried :v: I'll look into an ICTV build at some point but I'd like to try and make this one work too. Thanks for the advice.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Crabtree posted:

Clearly you need to make it more nasally and try to come up with your own difficulty as we are shooting cops.
I'll work on a nasty southern accent, being uncomfortably vocal and overly whiny about the game itself in voice chat, and coming up with my own ideas as to how the game should work. who wants to hear about NaziFurryWish difficulty

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Since we've got some new people around, couple of quick things that I've heard asked the last few days:

- This is a good starting point for a build. It gets you all the basic must-haves and a few nice quality of life skills that are going to be in most/all other builds anyway. You are not expected to have a 'good' build until a couple of infamies in, so don't worry about experimenting.

- Always wear the heaviest armor you can unless in stealth. Unless you're a dodge build (always a suit) or running the Grinder perk deck (always a suit or the LBV), and those are better to wait until you've got more experience.

- Many guns are good. Almost all guns are functional. You will eventually (like by infamy 3-4) have multiple copies of all of them. Don't be afraid to buy any that sound interesting to give them a try.

- Focus on filling out one perk deck completely to start before expanding into other ones. Muscle is a good one to start with, since it's strong, useful in nearly every loud situation and easy to use.

- Sentry guns and trip mines are Not Good. ECMs and body bags are Not Useful Loud. The armor bag is Dumb. You should be bringing ammo or a doctor's bag to most heists, even if it's only the basic one. (First Aid Kits are best left to people who have it spec'd out, but they ARE useful.)

- When in doubt, pick a goon with a couple of infamies and follow them. You'll at least go on a magical adventure full of cops.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Gotta love Grinder and Gambler (with the honorable mention of Muscle) for letting you clear heists with STYLE. 4 man crew, weapons and skills of choice, but suits only is great fun and a viable strategy. And the crew is so ridiculously fast with this, we're having a blast with no armor on.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

- Sentry guns and trip mines are Not Good. ECMs and body bags are Not Useful Loud. The armor bag is Dumb. You should be bringing ammo or a doctor's bag to most heists, even if it's only the basic one. (First Aid Kits are best left to people who have it spec'd out, but they ARE useful.)

Would it be ok to spec both Doctor Bags and First Aid kits for some flexibility? After reading everyone's advice and doing some googling I was thinking of this:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSnLHJEFGbcDa:eIjEFDa:tbda:ghEgCda:fMiJEfbCDa:pN5:::

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

- Focus on filling out one perk deck completely to start before expanding into other ones. Muscle is a good one to start with, since it's strong, useful in nearly every loud situation and easy to use.
Because Lobby Player Info makes me see players with empty Crew Chief a lot:

- Build up your perk deck immediately after gaining any XP. Every single one of them has a +25% headshot damage bonus as the second perk and every single one of them has a +45% XP bonus as the fourth. Make sure you've equipped it, too.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Well, on a lark I reinstalled Payday: The Heist after nearly 3 years of not playing it. It took myself, a friend and assorted pubbies 3 tries apiece to beat Panic Room and First World bank on Hard. I certainly don't remember it being this difficult back in 2013, did they tweak the difficulty since? I mean, I used to solo farm challenges on Hard and still manage to beat the heists. Many more specials than I expected, including 4 cloakers in the closing escape portion of First World Bank and a generally overwhelming number of Heavy Swat. or maybe I'm just that rusty!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I'll work on a nasty southern accent, being uncomfortably vocal and overly whiny about the game itself in voice chat, and coming up with my own ideas as to how the game should work. who wants to hear about NaziFurryWish difficulty

Hey, HEY, I'm the one with a nasty southern accent, don't you take that away from me. :colbert:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I'm appropriating your southern accent and there's nobody that can stop me. prepare for a real obnoxious "get the the escape van YA'LL" that'll be secondhand embarrassing for everyone unfortunate enough to be playing with me

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hey, HEY, I'm the one with a nasty southern accent, don't you take that away from me. :colbert:

Is that what you think you sound like? :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drewjitsu posted:

Is that what you think you sound like? :v:

I'm sure I sound like an incredibly high-pitched nerd with a southern accent

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Elman posted:

Would it be ok to spec both Doctor Bags and First Aid kits for some flexibility? After reading everyone's advice and doing some googling I was thinking of this:

I'd worry more about flexibility once you're a bit further along with infamy - even getting to infamy 2 would be saving you a ton of skill points for a build like this. You're putting a lot of points into those kits that are effectively wasted. But if you're going for that, try something more like this. You're ending up with an AR primary and either a pistol or a SMG secondary and you're not really losing much that matters.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm sure I sound like an incredibly high-pitched nerd with a southern accent

That just means you sound like a Goon with an accent.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Would it be ok to spec both Doctor Bags and First Aid kits for some flexibility?

It is generally suboptimal to do this, since acing both of those will suck up not just 12, but 24 points. Of which half will always be wasted.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Elman posted:

Generally speaking you want to only put points into one deployable because you can only bring one to a heist at a time. There are a few cases where an exception can be made, such as taking getting the basic double doctor bags plus basic double ammo bags because you're jumping towards the high tiers, but on the whole you want to be specializing as much as possible.

With the increasing number of ways to regenerate health I feel like FAKs are not as useful as they used to be, although they are still quite nice on DW to immediately get out of the insta-down zone. On Overkill I often don't even need to deploy my doctor bags let alone use up a full set of aced ones; my standard builds usually just bring the basic upgraded ones and nobody has ever commented if they've even noticed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

contesting this. nobody pointed out how very gay I sound. several months and nobody even tried to make fun of my gay lisp. what is this poo poo. is it only nerd voices or something

This is Something Awful, we're all gay here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wastrel_ posted:

Well, on a lark I reinstalled Payday: The Heist after nearly 3 years of not playing it. It took myself, a friend and assorted pubbies 3 tries apiece to beat Panic Room and First World bank on Hard. I certainly don't remember it being this difficult back in 2013, did they tweak the difficulty since? I mean, I used to solo farm challenges on Hard and still manage to beat the heists. Many more specials than I expected, including 4 cloakers in the closing escape portion of First World Bank and a generally overwhelming number of Heavy Swat. or maybe I'm just that rusty!

It takes a lot of getting used to the mechanical differences between payday 1 and 2. It also sounds like you got some of the worst spawns possible- the 4 cloakers event on FWB is really rare. I can only solo a couple heists on Hard, and even then there's some luck involved.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It takes a lot of getting used to the mechanical differences between payday 1 and 2. It also sounds like you got some of the worst spawns possible- the 4 cloakers event on FWB is really rare. I can only solo a couple heists on Hard, and even then there's some luck involved.

If you listen closely, the Cloakers all have German accents talking about Stalingrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I sat down and figured out a build, it's not that different from what I had before: http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mheGBCda:eqropkLmHIjefCDa:tEBda:gEfCda:pA6::l84:w39-21-7-1:s32-18-36-10:

My character is level 84 and has 7 points left to spend. The most complete perk I have is Armorer, but that one only goes up to Reinforced Armour. I have all DLC up to Dragan.

This build was optimized for playing with the same group of people, so the team had a dedicated healer, safe opener, etc. Any suggestions on how to make it a bit less specialized for playing with an unknown team setup would be welcome.

The idea is to have single head/bodyshots kill most regular cops (maybe even tans) on anything less than death wish. I'm using the Rattlesnake and Locomotive. The Rattlesnake has the Theia scope so Spotter seems obvious for a nearly effortless bonus.