Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

kizudarake posted:

These superfriends agree, eh.

Nissa, Jace, and Gideon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Nissa, Jace, and Gideon

um gideon is clearly mr lahey

julian is, uh, dack fayden?

happy new year

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so the interesting thing about this is that it is bad against bolt in a somewhat counterintuitive way. If you try to switch to a 4/1 and they bolt in response to the activation that turns it into a 4/1, the stack will look like this:
bolt
fumarole activation

so even though it's a 1/4, it takes 3 and switches to a 4/1 and dies

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oath is cool in a 5-color Superfriends deck. That's about it.

The land is a lot better than I thought it would be. (Bolt/damage interaction aside.) I guess this solidifies the color pie shift for red (maybe R/u) into the "big butts at low drops" archetype. Crater Elemental, Vile Aggregate, Kozilek's Sentinel, Frostburn Wierd etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am glad the u/r red manland is also meh to keep everything balanced.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

da gently caress is a fumarole

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

GoutPatrol posted:

da gently caress is a fumarole
https://www.google.com/#q=fumarole

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have a better definition: bullshit

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The enchantment effect of the Green Oath is fun for a kitchen table and I see it finding a home in a bunch of fun kitchen decks that want to cast all the planeswalkers. The Sorcery effect is the real meat of the card though, as it's really just a Green Ponder effect. It's not super exciting at
rare but those kinda of effects are always playable in limited and it's also strong enough to see some standard play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

I have a better definition: bullshit

I bet a lot of people had never heard of a Tarn either. There's only so many synonyms and an endless need for dual land names.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Pretty sure Oath of NIssa is playable in a deck with 0 planeswalkers. It's kind of dumb that that effect is rare, though it should be a bulk rare at least.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

I bet a lot of people had never heard of a Tarn either. There's only so many synonyms and an endless need for dual land names.

No, he's right. It's bullshit because a fumarole is a label for the opening, itself. They're basically calling this a Walking Hole-in-the-Ground, which makes no loving sense.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The enchantment effect of the Green Oath is fun for a kitchen table and I see it finding a home in a bunch of fun kitchen decks that want to cast all the planeswalkers. The Sorcery effect is the real meat of the card though, as it's really just a Green Ponder effect. It's not super exciting at
rare but those kinda of effects are always playable in limited and it's also strong enough to see some standard play.

It's very close to a one-mana sorcery speed Anticipate if your deck isn't full of instants and sorceries. Given that green doesn't get one-drop mana dorks any more, I wouldn't be surprised if this saw some play at some point. Most decks with green in them right now run a whole bunch of instants and some sorceries and enchantments though. It plummets in value if you can actually whiff on it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

do you remember the article where sperling got mad because he didn't know what a bivouac was and had to learn this new word

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 1, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

No, he's right. It's bullshit because a fumarole is a label for the opening, itself. They're basically calling this a Walking Hole-in-the-Ground, which makes no loving sense.

Why, that's as silly as a shambling vent!

They should have called it Truculent Tarn though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Somehow I thought wizards didn't like zero mana activation costs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Somehow I thought wizards didn't like zero mana activation costs.

That is surprising. I don't think we've seen once since before the Modern era.

e: nope, I just suck at searching, there's a bunch.

Last one was Haunted Plate Mail in M14/15 I think. But that's the only other one since Time Spiral block.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 1, 2016

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Entropic posted:

It's very close to a one-mana sorcery speed Anticipate if your deck isn't full of instants and sorceries. Given that green doesn't get one-drop mana dorks any more, I wouldn't be surprised if this saw some play at some point. Most decks with green in them right now run a whole bunch of instants and some sorceries and enchantments though. It plummets in value if you can actually whiff on it.

It's the type of card where it will either be seen in most green decks or none and I wouldn't be shocked by either. Like I'd totally would of tried to play this card during RTR standard with Bloodrush and Domri.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The switch cost is zero probably because you're already sinking mana into it to animate.

Also, it interacts fun with Awaken

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

A walking hole in the ground sounds like it would be really bad rear end my man

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Why, that's as silly as a shambling vent!

You're right. I do not dispute this.

Edit: Besides, if anything "Shambling Vent" should be the name of a red manland. :colbert:

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Assuming this conversation is real, we need to fire Sheldon into the sun. Sure, let's make EDH more expensive mess with manabases for no reason! Is this ever something anyone had complained about?

Also loledh :v:.

Gina like vagina fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 1, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

there are alternate cost cards that are bad in both modes

the first examples that jump to mind for me are some of the awful poo poo creatures in masques block, probably because I opened them from boosters

:colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Krigen posted:

Assuming this conversation is real, we need to fire Sheldon into the sun. Sure, let's make EDH more expensive for no reason!

Also loledh :v:.

I actually agree with limiting off-color fetches. It always seemed like the worst flavor-fail.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Caring about the "Official Rules" for the quintessential kitchen table format is dumb. If there's any format where House Rules should be a thing, it's EDH. Also EDH is a dumb format and you should just play cube instead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

-50 sheldon points

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Caring about the "Official Rules" for the quintessential kitchen table format is dumb. If there's any format where House Rules should be a thing, it's EDH. Also EDH is a dumb format and you should just play cube instead.

For the same reason its important to nerds that their version of D&D be the canonically "correct" one its extremely important to follow the proper REAL rules for the made up format. it's something i find endlessly fascinating

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

rabidsquid posted:

For the same reason its important to nerds that their version of D&D be the canonically "correct" one its extremely important to follow the proper REAL rules for the made up format. it's something i find endlessly fascinating

I mainly (begrudgingly) play EDH at my LGS and the locals there rather cut off their own nose than dare play anything off the 'official' path.

Banning off colour fetches is just a dumb thing for so many reasons. I get that it's not very 'flavor' friendly but so many new/budget EDH players I know only have KTK fetches and it just fucks them over for no real reason. I've never heard anyone complaining about it before now. The very few cases of people running them for functional reasons are far outweighed by those running them for budget reasons. Seems like a dumb thing for the 'wallet friendly' format to do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Oath of Nissa is pretty good actually. I could easily see it as just a 4 of in a lot of green decks. It's probably the best cantrip in standard...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Make a cycle of fetches that can only fetch for a basic land of either of three types.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm thinking about putting together a UR Twin deck for modern, but I lack the Tarns. I feel like I'm not losing all that many percentage points if I just use strands, deltas and stomping ground/mire to fix my mana, but I'm not really that familiar with the format. Is the extra need to shock myself going to screw me more than I expect, or will I just be slightly gimped while I wait for the reprints/favorable trade opportunities?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shovelmint posted:

So I'm thinking about putting together a UR Twin deck for modern, but I lack the Tarns. I feel like I'm not losing all that many percentage points if I just use strands, deltas and stomping ground/mire to fix my mana, but I'm not really that familiar with the format. Is the extra need to shock myself going to screw me more than I expect, or will I just be slightly gimped while I wait for the reprints/favorable trade opportunities?

You should be fine, you might have to be a little more careful with your fetching than you would have to normally be at a 5 color deck and you're costing yourself the typical 1 of stomping ground for Ancient Grudge flashback.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mcmagic posted:

You should be fine, you might have to be a little more careful with your fetching than you would have to normally be at a 5 color deck and you're costing yourself the typical 1 of stomping ground for Ancient Grudge flashback.
If he uses a Breeding Pool it might be ok, it just throws off the Blood Moon math a little bit.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was thinking a breeding pool might be okay, I got pretty much all the lands from scars onwards, so I've got a lot of things to work with, I really just want to start getting in some modern reps, because the format is too complicated to just jump in fresh come GP Detroit. While I do watch a decent amount of tournament streams, nothing can prepare you like making the decisions for yourself. I probably can borrow some Tarns for that event, but if I don't practice, I can't really expect to do well, even piloting burn. On a related note, do you think I'd be better off just playing burn or a burning zoo without Arid Mesas over a gimped twin? I've got guides I picked up on a whim, so it's just a few nacatls/kird apes and lightning helixes away from having everything I could want.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I actually agree with limiting off-color fetches. It always seemed like the worst flavor-fail.

Who cares though? The only argument for it I can form is to point and laugh at people who run off-color fetches so they can "thin" their 99-card deck. There's also no way to write that rule in Magic terms in a way that doesn't exclude someone from playing, say, Farseek with a commander whose color identity isn't all five colors. They can say you specifically can't play lands that mention the name of a basic land that doesn't produce mana that isn't in your color identity, but look how dumb that reads. Cool fact though: Aside from Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth*, there's no land that mentions a basic land type and doesn't either tap for the color of mana that basic land would produce or fetch for a land of that type (fetches, Mirage fetches, and Panoramas). But again, there's no reason to limit fetches unless you want to stick it to the deck-thinning idiots or just limit shuffle effects.

*When I built my Emrakul deck a long time ago, I had Urborg in there to make some of the old lands without mana abiltiies be able to tap for mana, but that's a corner case.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I figured out a rule that will not only prevent people from playing off-color fetchlands, but also drastically cut down on shuffling.

Ban fetchlands. Ban the Onslaught/Khans ones, ban the Zendikar ones, ban the Mirage ones. Ban Panaramas, Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving WIlds just to send a message. Problem solved.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

So am I just not allowed to play fetches in a Titania deck? Or am I not allowed to play the ones that I'm not playing anyway because they can't fetch green? Should we ban Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse in decks that aren't 5 colors because they can fetch any color? Should we ban Farseek in any deck that doesn't have all 5 colors? Has Sheldon ever actually had a good idea?

The answer to all these questions may surprise you! It's no.

Also the best part about Mindslaver effects is using them to RFG someone's commander. :colbert:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It isn't just deck thinning. A UB fetch can grab any color in a bant deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's green anticipate for 1 mana in a format that has almost no relevant things you can do on turn 1. It's a good card.

• Locked thread