Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Why can't I just call party members with my sci-fi fantasy video phone to join my party instead of running around rounding them up?

They have caller ID and don't wanna really hang out, but are too polite to say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Your character is too socially awkward to talk and creepily breathing into a phone doesn't really make people wanna hang out with you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I love how you're making GBS threads out your party members as you drive around your Skell. Good job guys.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Why can't I just call party members with my sci-fi fantasy video phone to join my party instead of running around rounding them up?

I wanted to use L but I went to his hangout spot and he wasn't there. I wasn't on an affinity mission or anything, and the only info I had was that the map said he "can usually be found there". I went and did some other stuff and when I came back he was there. Good design imo.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Oh good, I just helped a Nopon drug deal go down.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tender Bender posted:

I wanted to use L but I went to his hangout spot and he wasn't there. I wasn't on an affinity mission or anything, and the only info I had was that the map said he "can usually be found there". I went and did some other stuff and when I came back he was there. Good design imo.

Heart-to-heart was probably going down somewhere. When they don't appear just change the time to another time of day then go back.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Alxprit posted:

Heart-to-heart was probably going down somewhere. When they don't appear just change the time to another time of day then go back.

Pretty much guaranteed.

If you reach X affinity with a party member, they will go to their designated Heart to Heart location at Y time each day.
To stop this from happening, complete the Heart to Heart event, and they will never again leave their designated hangout for that Heart to Heart.

Tender Bender posted:

Good design imo.

Some heart to heart events are close enough to hangouts that it would be ~KINDA WEIRD~ to see two of the same party member there, so I argue it makes sense they poof away from where they normally stand.

The inability to just call your party members or have everyone eternally in reserve status is kind of annoying though.
Maybe they did that to prevent you from swapping members in the field or something? Who fuckin' knows.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think it's cool when affinity missions make you kick a character out of your party just so they can be forced back in immediately after it begins.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Zombie Defiler posted:

The inability to just call your party members or have everyone eternally in reserve status is kind of annoying though.
Maybe they did that to prevent you from swapping members in the field or something? Who fuckin' knows.

There's so many ways they could have done that without letting you swap in the field. Like make it so you have to be in NLA to swap people because it's too dangerous for them to run out to you solo or something. They could have at least given character hangouts unique icons on the map. It's kind of annoying trying to track down members I rarely use in a sea of gold stars.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Zombie Defiler posted:

Yeah, that would be a bad thing to be able to do, because... ???

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

You can put other people's avatars in your party out in the field if you come across them, but then there's also an actual menu for putting other people's avatars in your party instead of just having to hunt them down.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Thanks, how do I know where a Heart to Heart is? I learned about Lin's first one, which was marked on my map, and now Lin's third one is on my map, but it says I have to do her second one first. None of the other characters have hearts to hearts on my map.

Also how do I find affinity missions? Some are marked on my map, but others I've just found the orange icon in the wild, and even after looking at it it still isn't on my map. What makes them appear? It can't be eligibility, because I have some with requirements I haven't met yet that are still marked. I want to do Boze's so I can get his Arts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

It worked fine in Xenoblade, as did being able to change the time from any location. Whilst there are a good number of questionable design decisions in this game, the removal of numerous QoL features is just downright inexplicable

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I"m pretty sure you only hear about them from npc rumors once you've reached that affinity rank. So just run around and talk to yellow bubbles for awhile.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, it's just fascinating that they made the decision to put an Active Party menu on the main menu, and a terminal exclusively used for putting characters in your party, but still decided to not, like, include a way to put the actual story characters in your party through one of these things.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It worked fine in Xenoblade, as did being able to change the time from any location. Whilst there are a good number of questionable design decisions in this game, the removal of numerous QoL features is just downright inexplicable

I think that probably has to do with the pop in. It takes a while for things to fade into existence, so if you changed time anywhere you could probably cheese your way through a lot of the high level enemy areas.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks, how do I know where a Heart to Heart is? I learned about Lin's first one, which was marked on my map, and now Lin's third one is on my map, but it says I have to do her second one first. None of the other characters have hearts to hearts on my map.

Also how do I find affinity missions? Some are marked on my map, but others I've just found the orange icon in the wild, and even after looking at it it still isn't on my map. What makes them appear? It can't be eligibility, because I have some with requirements I haven't met yet that are still marked. I want to do Boze's so I can get his Arts.

They only get marked on your map if you get one of those yellow speech bubble overheard conversations about it. If you find it yourself first but can't do it yet then you just gotta remember it's there I guess.

The actual answer to your question is "google"

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Hi.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

The same reason they decided you had to go back to repair Skells?
And the wind whispered "who fuckin' knows"

Tender Bender posted:

Here's a link to a Heart To Heart list someone made: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/72976794

Or you just run across talky people in the city who say poo poo like "Hey did you see lil' billy down by the creek? He sure spends lots of time DOWN BY THE CREEK in the MORNING doesn't he?"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Yet another reason this game needed to pay more attention to the Saints Row series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh my God this quest to find bombs planted in NLA, do I seriously have to find 99 of these things?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So if I am at the point I can start Chapter 10 but Zu Pharg keeps kicking my rear end and maybe I want better Skell Gear (already have G Buster and the scythe) what are my options for grinding?
Also does anybody have a probe layout that would generate a lot of money? I can barely generate 50k bucks a pop and I feel super poor.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh my God this quest to find bombs planted in NLA, do I seriously have to find 99 of these things?

Quest guide for blood lobster https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kU7nCw-ZWEuGDq9lPZEYCLm2F4UjKx8aRNFIlbbf3-k/pub

You don't HAVE TO, I guess, it isn't timed or anything so you can do it whenever or just bumble into them for the most part.

Calaveron posted:

So if I am at the point I can start Chapter 10 but Zu Pharg keeps kicking my rear end and maybe I want better Skell Gear (already have G Buster and the scythe) what are my options for grinding?
Also does anybody have a probe layout that would generate a lot of money? I can barely generate 50k bucks a pop and I feel super poor.

What level are you at? Honestly once you get flight I think you should just assume from then on you should be maximum level and have all probe sites planted. Neither takes long.
Do you have level 50 Skells? Anti-Mechanoid augments for your Skells?

If your weapons aren't slap full of both sockets and Anti-mech I'd say go grind some Puges in Sylv for both their cranks and the chance to get Phoenix/G-busters with mo' better stats.

If you have L.50 Skells and lots of Anti-Mech XX augs in the weapons, hit up Oblivia's cliffside camp with the level 60 and 55 robotic enemies to fly on up to 60.
(you can do this at 30 if you have all your crap Anti-Mech XX'd out and you're sporting strong beam weaponry)

E: also for probe bucks you need to be prying open all those treasures and praying you get Research probes. Put your best research probes on sites with multiple discovered sightseeing points, patterns and poo poo don't matter much for research probes since you want to focus on those sightseeing locations for maximum money.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 2, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zombie Defiler posted:

Quest guide for blood lobster https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kU7nCw-ZWEuGDq9lPZEYCLm2F4UjKx8aRNFIlbbf3-k/pub

You don't HAVE TO, I guess, it isn't timed or anything so you can do it whenever or just bumble into them for the most part.

That's what I figured I just wanted to complain because 99 is excessive.

Thank you for the guide.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zombie Defiler posted:

What level are you at? Honestly once you get flight I think you should just assume from then on you should be maximum level and have all probe sites planted. Neither takes long.
Do you have level 50 Skells? Anti-Mechanoid augments for your Skells?

If your weapons aren't slap full of both sockets and Anti-mech I'd say go grind some Puges in Sylv for both their cranks and the chance to get Phoenix/G-busters with mo' better stats.

If you have L.50 Skells and lots of Anti-Mech XX augs in the weapons, hit up Oblivia's cliffside camp with the level 60 and 55 robotic enemies to fly on up to 60.
(you can do this at 30 if you have all your crap Anti-Mech XX'd out and you're sporting strong beam weaponry)

E: also for probe bucks you need to be prying open all those treasures and praying you get Research probes. Put your best research probes on sites with multiple discovered sightseeing points, patterns and poo poo don't matter much for research probes since you want to focus on those sightseeing locations for maximum money.

Nope, level 30 Skells with level 39+- dudes and I desperately need to replace at least one Skell because wow Verus sucks.
I guess I'll farm puges and robots in general and see what augments I can craft.
How can I tell if a probe site is near a sightseeing point?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Calaveron posted:

Nope, level 30 Skells with level 39+- dudes and I desperately need to replace at least one Skell because wow Verus sucks.
I guess I'll farm puges and robots in general and see what augments I can craft.

It'll list it when you select that probe on the segment map: Sightseeing Spots 0/1 or 0/2 or -- if there are none. I went on a sightseeing spree to get my money up to 130,000 for a certain quest, paid off.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It should be totally doable, if time consuming, with what you have. I managed somehow to basically solo the thing since I hadn't given any of my party members skells yet, but it definitely took a while and was a bit dicey in parts. I think I was using a Lailah, and I forget what gear I had but it wasn't particularly optimized for the fight beyond having a beam saber and beam ring. Take out the dishes first and kill any adds that spawn asap. Though I think I also lucked into a weather condition that refueled skells or something, since I never ran out of gas.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If there's one problem I have with the combat in X, it's that the game sets up this incredible elaborate Soul Voice system which asks you to make interesting decisions on the fly in combat, and then when it comes to postgame enemies--which is where the player really should be asked to demonstrate mastery of the systems--Soul Voice is completely useless. Either you go in with a Skell superweapon and one-shot the tyrant, or you spin up an infinite overdrive build and run in like a golden katana-wielding Goku, making GBS threads out like three orders of magnitude more damage than the rest of your party combined as Wir Fliegen blasts away in the background.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

If there's one problem I have with the combat in X, it's that the game sets up this incredible elaborate Soul Voice system which asks you to make interesting decisions on the fly in combat, and then when it comes to postgame enemies--which is where the player really should be asked to demonstrate mastery of the systems--Soul Voice is completely useless. Either you go in with a Skell superweapon and one-shot the tyrant, or you spin up an infinite overdrive build and run in like a golden katana-wielding Goku, making GBS threads out like three orders of magnitude more damage than the rest of your party combined as Wir Fliegen blasts away in the background.

Soul voice feels really random, and has no real strategy behind it's procs, they just maybe decide to pop when you get a critical hit/use an art or a NPC uses some ability and the RNG aligns.
I've had many fights where nobody shouts a thing for a loooong time, and it especially feels that way when everyone is REALLY in need of a heal from it.

Only your main dude's SVs are customizable too, so you can't really make some coherent strategy unless you intended to swap partymembers (and thusly their whole skill and art class setup) for the sake of setting up a great soul voice combo that works with your skills/arts.

Most of the effects from SV shouts feel a little lackluster too, Shock 1, Topple 1, and I can't upgrade them to do say Shock V or 1000% more heals instead of 500%?
Really SV feels like it's just there to replace the need for a dedicated medic character, with a couple little bonuses. Which I honestly appreciate, since one dude who is the single point of failure for your team has always been a miserable thing in RPGs.
But for the most part I didn't even really think about it and left it as I set it up at the beginning of the game until I got enough evasion to take advantage of that custom voice.

The biggest problem with the combat in X for me has been how completely braindead the partymember AI feels, like I've had to carry this sack of idiots who have only existed to shout encouraging things that kept me healed.
Yes please fire the superweapon at every loving little sheep monster or crab, thanks for blowing all the fuel guys. Oh no I don't need you to save up your TP to pick me up, just keep wasting it on your lovely attacks that do pitiable damage I'll just watch this timer tick down.
Oh cool you activated overdrive and spent all that TP I kept asking you to save at the beginning of every fight just because we stepped too close to an angry fuckin' roach.

I feel like the game would have strongly benefited from a gambit-like system.
IF: Ally = KO, THEN: Don't waste any TP and use all your loving combos to generate it! IF: Enemy level Less or Equal to yours, THEN: don't shoot the super weapon, dummy!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Are millesaurs theroids or ultrafauna?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Soul Voices were neat and effective up to around Chapter 9, which is maybe even longer than a normal game depending how much you gun it toward skell builds/overdrive ground builds. But by the time you are fighting kilrathi the ground fights seem to bound past what you can reasonably expect to do with a party and Soul Voices, and the skell fights generally happen at a magnitude where you just don't care about it either.

e. I also think it kind of makes it worse than the devs seems to be complicit with the combat crashing and burning by the end of the power curve, because its like they're saying "hey, this game's combat kind of broke 50 hours ago, right? Here, just take this katana or skell super weapon and bypass it all if you want."

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the combat system falls apart around level 40ish+ where everything just devolves into big hit city, and skell combat is more of a first draft of the ground combat. Debuffs also seem not to scale particularly well, at least in the case of blaze and shock. Assuming the orange damage numbers are those, they're pathetic very early on. I think the basic ideas at play are still solid but definitely need iteration, and I hope they don't just give up on the whole system. I don't think soul voices for other characters necessarily need to be customizable, but they need to be a bit better balanced. Buff or debuff based ones aren't that great apart from the guaranteed hit or if they grant TP, and aura ones are strong but hamstrung by auras all costing TP. I end up keeping Elma in the party a lot just because her heavy melee damage focus is really useful and easy to trigger. I was running a party of Phog, Celica, and Hope for a while to get them leveled up and it was terrible how little damage I could do both because their skill lists aren't great for damage and their soul voices aren't either.

While I'm wish listing for version 2 of the combat system, I'm not a big fan of how secondary cooldowns work. The power boosts is in many cases so big that it feels really bad to use one before its secondary cooldown finishes, but getting the secondary in many cases means lots of waiting. I'd go for them either boosting the basic effect and weakening secondaries, or making you not lose whatever progress into the secondary cooldown the skill has when you use it. I get that they didn't want you to just mash the cooldowns as soon as they're up, but that should be well taken care of by secondary effects, positioning, and soul voices already.

PS Never put Celica in a skell with the stat boost shields because good god she never shuts up about them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Are millesaurs theroids or ultrafauna?

Theroids. As far as I can tell there are only two ultrafuana enemies in the game, and both are superbosses.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Theroids. As far as I can tell there are only two ultrafuana enemies in the game, and both are superbosses.

Telethia and what?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Aren't there only like three chimeroids as well?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

PS Never put Celica in a skell with the stat boost shields because good god she never shuts up about them.

Hope too. I'm powering up my skell!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The combat system teeters way over the edge in the other direction once you're in postgame and you have infinite overdrive: TP doesn't matter, you'll have to try to use skills without a secondary cooldown, nobody cares about positioning, and your party doesn't matter either except insofar as you can stuff them full of Treasure Sensors.

e: just took down Gradivus with three Arts: TP Up XX and basically gently caress-all else. I don't recommend it, that 100m HP ticks down slooooowly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Telethia and what?

I'd guess whatever's in that spooky sphere in Sylvalum.

Goddamn taking down Zu Pharg with a really long overdrive culminating in G Buster made me feel all like a Power Ranger

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
E: gently caress that, ignore this post. It was going to take away some of the wonderment

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What's a good equipment set up for an Inferno? It's invariably the first skell that gets wrecked in any sort of hard battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'd say just build it for ranged since that's the damage type it's overdrive favors, but it's a pretty versatile skell. I'm not sure why yours is getting wrecked though, it's the tankier of the two mediums.

• Locked thread