Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone remember the last wide theatrical release to feature an intermission? I swear I remember watching something in a theater in the mid 90s that had one, but can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Gods and Generals (2003) had an intermission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Gods and Generals (2003) had an intermission.

I wonder how many people never came back for the second half.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wonder how many people never came back for the second half.

I saw it in a packed theater on opening night in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Probably 80 percent of the people there were dressed in Civil War costumes.) Shockingly, almost everyone came back in after the intermission.

I should have run far, far away.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's basically Warcraft opening night.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I saw it in a packed theater on opening night in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Probably 80 percent of the people there were dressed in Civil War costumes.) Shockingly, almost everyone came back in after the intermission.

Wait. Civil War re-enactors wore their costumes to the theater? Nerd will be nerds, I guess...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm surprised intermissions aren't more common these days, especially with the two and a half hour 3d blockbuster style movies. Lot of potential concession sales there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm surprised intermissions aren't more common these days, especially with the two and a half hour 3d blockbuster style movies. Lot of potential concession sales there.

The wants of distributors and the wants of the theatre chains are often at odds.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Enos Cabell posted:

Taking 15 minutes off per movie cuts into showings and or ads

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Some quick googling...
This is what I remember it like:

and this is what it looks like in the remaster

It's not a small difference. If you think that it's an improvement, I guess that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But don't tell me it's not a big loving change.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 2, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whoa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FishBulb posted:

Taking 15 minutes off per movie cuts into showings and or ads

It feels like this is the main reason that the new Star Wars movie isn't half an hour longer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

It feels like this is the main reason that the new Star Wars movie isn't half an hour longer.

That was like my favorite thing about Force Awakens, it wasn't quite as breakneck as Fury Road but it was still a non-stop thrill ride and the few quiet moments were meaningful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
edit: Wrong thread. moved to genchat.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 2, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Timby posted:

Did any Abe Lincoln cosplayers get assassinated by disgruntled John Wilkes Booth cosplayers?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

computer parts posted:

Hamlet (1996) and Gettysburg (1993) both featured intermissions.
Branagh's Hamlet didn't really get a wide theatrical release. Like The Hateful Eight (2015) has already been shown on more screens than Hamlet got in its entire theatrical run.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Skwirl posted:

Swap any one of those out with Parallax View and you have a better trilogy of paranoia and power.

Klute, All the President's Men, and The Parallax View are the trilogy of paranoia and power.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

So apparently not only was The Thing the first in a loose trilogy (John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, it was followed by Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness) but the Breakfast Club was also the first in a loose trilogy of movies by the director. Or so I heard. I might hav details wrong, but the idea interests me.

What other "loose trilogies" are there, three movies that do not share plot arches or characters but themes and directors?
Argento's three Mothers trilogy.

Suspiria
Inferno
The Mother of Tears

First two are essential. Stay far, FAR away from the third.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People like to bitch about the prequels but I wouldn't rewatch Mother of Tears on a bet.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enos Cabell posted:

You don't need a formal intermission in the film itself for that though. Theatres round here that do intermissions just pause the movie somewhere halfway through.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Suspiria is a masterpiece.
Inferno is very good but miles behind Suspiria.
Mother of Tears is a crime against humanity.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Klute, All the President's Men, and The Parallax View are the trilogy of paranoia and power.

Klute is so loving dope

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Suspiria is a masterpiece.
Inferno is very good but miles behind Suspiria.
Mother of Tears is a crime against humanity.

MOT makes Inferno look like Godfather 2. It's absolutely insane.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've only ever seen Suspiria, Tenebre and Inferno and I feel like maybe I won with that selection.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBulb posted:

I've only ever seen Suspiria, Tenebre and Inferno and I feel like maybe I won with that selection.

I haven't seen a lot of his catalog but I caught Deep Red recently and would give it a strong recommendation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I haven't seen a lot of his catalog but I caught Deep Red recently and would give it a strong recommendation.

i'd say a good list of five would be:

Suspiria
Deep Red
Tenebre
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
Opera

covers a lot of ground and all five are A+ movies.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh wait I saw Deep Red too. I've heard good things about Bird so maybe someday

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

yeah i highly recommend it. awesome early cinematography from Vittorio Storaro and an equally awesome score by Ennio Morricone. plus it feels like Argento's most Hitchcockian movie, and is crazy self-assured for a directorial debut. it's the one Argento that i feel like even people who don't like Argento can appreciate.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Speaking of loose trilogies I've heard people arguing of these very forums of Cronenberg's early, middle, and late trilogies. Early is er you know what I'll let someone else fill this gap in my memory.

EDIT: so I googled it and someone suggests that early trilogy is The Brood, Shivers, Rabid.

donquixotic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 3, 2016

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Klute is so loving dope

And here I was about to respond to the same post about how weak I find Klute. It's a flat mystery with weak suspense. The interplay between Fonda and Sutherland should be amazing but he's sleepwalking without presence while she's doing all the heavy lifting.

e: I agree with you on Bird With the Crystal Plumage though. That movie is a good time

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 3, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
This is top-tier Argento, and it's also one of the stylistically defining films of giallo.

A big part of this is Morricone's score. People tend to think of his work in terms of his scores for the Leone Westerns, but he's a much more stylistically diverse composer than that, and a lot of it is on display here.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Everything Argento did before the 90's ranges from good to masterpiece. After that it's just sad mostly.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I rewatched the '46 cut of The Big Sleep the other day, and while the dialogue between Bacall and Bogart (and to a lesser extent Martha Vickers as the younger sister) remains as electric and sharp as ever, I can't help but feel that the movie is seriously gimped by the Hays Code interference. I guess it's just an unavoidable part of American cinema in the 40s, but coming from the book I just can't help but think what this movie could have been if it was shot a decade or so later, with the actors magically transplanted. Anyone else feel the same way?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slowhanded posted:

I rewatched the '46 cut of The Big Sleep the other day, and while the dialogue between Bacall and Bogart (and to a lesser extent Martha Vickers as the younger sister) remains as electric and sharp as ever, I can't help but feel that the movie is seriously gimped by the Hays Code interference. I guess it's just an unavoidable part of American cinema in the 40s, but coming from the book I just can't help but think what this movie could have been if it was shot a decade or so later, with the actors magically transplanted. Anyone else feel the same way?

this is essentially why we have Miller's Crossing

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I tend to view No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, and A Serious Man as a loose trilogy that deals with entropy and the lack of satisfying conclusion life provides.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Timby posted:

The Cornetto trilogy comes to mind; they all carry a loose theme of letting go of one's childhood and having to grow up.

I understand this for Shaun and World's End, but I thought Hot Fuzz was more about embracing boyishness?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wormophile posted:

I understand this for Shaun and World's End, but I thought Hot Fuzz was more about embracing boyishness?

Hot Fuzz is about striking a balance. You can't be all fun like Danny or all work like Nick, you have to balance both to be a functional person. And Danny's entire arc is about moving beyond pure boyishness, destroying his father's system and becoming a hero in his own right, an equal partner to Nick instead of a goofy sidekick.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as a cinema rube can someone explain why 'the third man' is so amazingly great? i just watched it. i liked it well enough, but i fail to see how this bests all other british films. :confused:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: never mind

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Abel Wingnut posted:

as a cinema rube can someone explain why 'the third man' is so amazingly great? i just watched it. i liked it well enough, but i fail to see how this bests all other british films. :confused:

It's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

It's a perfect film. One of the best screenplays ever written, a cast that rivals Casablanca in quality, and it's gorgeously shot. It also has that postwar gloom hanging over it, yet it feels timeless.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 5, 2016