Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

neckbeards raving about "bloat" drive me crazy. google chrome will consume more system resources than pretty much everything the desktop does combined, but you don't see people using "minimal" "lightweight" web browsers

midori :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

just a reskinned chrome

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hooray this year is the year

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the only computers that sit on desks any more are workstations and servers... so truly... 2016 is YLDT

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phoenixan posted:

is gnome 3 even that hardware intensive?

in my experience it's almost unusable on circa-2005 hardware

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

in my experience it's unusable

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:agreed: the moment i see the whole screen taken up by six humongous panels for one program each i just want to throw out my computer
i have a non touchscreen laptop and a desktop pc and if i want to fondle screens i can use my phone

Barnyard Protein posted:

the only computers that sit on desks any more are workstations and servers... so truly... 2016 is YLDT

my server sits under a desk though :smug:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not like kde and gnome sat down and said "gee how can we consume extra resources"

neckbeards raving about "bloat" drive me crazy. google chrome will consume more system resources than pretty much everything the desktop does combined, but you don't see people using "minimal" "lightweight" web browsers

i thought this mostly referred to things like cutting out anything complicated in the gui that looks neat but doesn't do anything if you're not trying to actually use linux on the desktop in tyool 2015 2016 (like transparent windows)
so when dorks whine about lightweight distributions that are still too bloated do they mean distributions which just cut the gui down to ugly mode but retained all background functionality

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have no idea what those dorks mean, and neither do they

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a dork is a whale penis, or so the urban legend goes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

a dork is a whale penis, or so the urban legend goes

it's u

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Maybe 2016 really could be the year of linux on the desktop, if i were to help. i haven't contributed anything of value. so guys what do we need done.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

Maybe 2016 really could be the year of linux on the desktop, if i were to help. i haven't contributed anything of value. so guys what do we need done.

figure out how to get multimedia keys to work properly with spotify for linux

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just use Google P;lay Music All Accses + Youtube Red, the One True Streaming Solutkon

oh and Chrome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only multimedia key my keyboard has is "pause/break" but idk how to make spotify work with it

that's the only one i need anyway

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

It's been working for a while. Spotify registers as an MPRIS client.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's been working for a while. Spotify registers as an MPRIS client.

alright so how do i make the pause/break key talk to mpris on dbus

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its probably some overcomplicated obtuse garbage in KDE; in GNOME its Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Sound and Media > Play (or play/pause)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

alright so how do i make the pause/break key talk to mpris on dbus

In GNOME, you set it up as a keyboard mapping. In anything else, you have to run some xbindkey junk which forks out to e.g. playerctl

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pseudorandom name posted:

its probably some overcomplicated obtuse garbage in [linux]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

In GNOME, you set it up as a keyboard mapping. In anything else, you have to run some xbindkey junk which forks out to e.g. playerctl

this gave me enough information to conclude that kde does not include a generic mpris ... server? the kde media players will register global shortcuts on their own but spotify doesn't talk to kde, or kde doesn't talk mpris, or something.

as usual, if it doesn't work ootb, investigation is just a source of pain and suffering

i will continue right-clicking like a loving cave man

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Spotify registers as an MPRIS service. The thing that handles the Play/Pause key sends a message to Spotify using the MPRIS protocol.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
duh!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i am not sure i want to use linux on the desktop anymore considering how women have been treated in linux and open source bsd!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

as opposed to AAPL mac os (definitely no sweatshops here) and windows made by MSFT unda satya "employees, worship your betters" nutella, amirite

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this gave me enough information to conclude that kde does not include a generic mpris ... server? the kde media players will register global shortcuts on their own but spotify doesn't talk to kde, or kde doesn't talk mpris, or something.

as usual, if it doesn't work ootb, investigation is just a source of pain and suffering

i will continue right-clicking like a loving cave man
kde should understand mpris, plasma should provide mpris controls in the taskbar applet when you hover a music player window as an example

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zom Aur posted:

kde should understand mpris, plasma should provide mpris controls in the taskbar applet when you hover a music player window as an example

it doesn't do this for spotify

maybe my kde is too old

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how do you know if the media keys work correctly in linux if there's no sound

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

blowfish posted:

as opposed to AAPL mac os (definitely no sweatshops here) and windows made by MSFT unda satya "employees, worship your betters" nutella, amirite

2 bads don't make one good, and those two can not be compared to a project getting a bunch of sexist gamergaters to harass someone, along with the community also being all for it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Celexi posted:

2 bads don't make one good, and those two can not be compared to a project getting a bunch of sexist gamergaters to harass someone, along with the community also being all for it.

essentially you just have to accept everything you use supports some kind of rear end in a top hat in some way

so just kill you are self like debian guy i guess

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the world is run by sociopaths and assholes fyi

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

blowfish posted:

me: hey it's a server and needs nothing beyond minimal GUI, let's install a minimal desktop environment what could possibly go wrong :pram:

Why are you putting USB sticks in a server?

What kind of server is this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Celexi posted:

which project and community? googling for Linux gamergate only pulls up results relating to that guy who stopped working on Intel drivers because they caved to ganergaters

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who here among us has the courage and strength to start a social justice oriented debian fork

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Athas posted:

my freenas server runs the OS off a USB stick vov

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

blowfish posted:

lol if u think buying a non aapl computer saves u from supporting "sweatshop" manufacturing in asia

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

which project and community? googling for Linux gamergate only pulls up results relating to that guy who stopped working on Intel drivers because they caved to ganergaters

that was the "open source bsd" part of the original post, specifically FreeBSD

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ok but nobody cares about freebsd though, it's even less relevant than linux on the desktop

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Look at this loving ligature. Why is the stroke on the second "f" lower than the first one? Why take away the dot on the first "i" if the second "f" doesn't even reach that far? Maybe 2016 will fix this font.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

who here among us has the courage and strength to start a social justice oriented debian fork

debian is already the social justice oriented debian fork

small-d democracy, motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Athas posted:

a bunch of hypervisors can do this as you only read the OS at boot. i guess if you keep logs/swap elsewhere it's fine. the idea makes me uneasy though