Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

They last 15 seconds. Rule of thumb is that an average un-hasted turn (including fully charging your ATB, choosing an ability, and firing off the ability) is 5 seconds. That number can vary a bit depending on the character's speed and which ability they use, but on average it's about 5 seconds total. Thus, breaks and breakdowns last roughly 3 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Mattybee posted:

"Man, I don't even know what the point is of the common draw. It's not like anyone ever gets anything good from them...

gently caress it. It's not like I have anything to lose."

:staredog: Well, I did need FF8 synergy...

Congratulations on your Selphie Stick.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

For the second straight event, I fail to master the 99 difficulty fight first try because I forget to read the bonus conditions.

"Woops"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I should probably be using Tyro for support, his offensive stats are too low and Weapon selection isn't making up the difference anymore

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Steal Power Blade Wing is the best on bosses that are double trouble, like Biran and Yenke.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fair warning: Retaliate makes Hellbiter miss. Retaliate does not make Mega Death miss. If you plan on using Retaliate on Yunalesca, then make sure to either put Ricard/Josef's RM2 on them for the autosap, or make sure Retaliate is down when she does her first form change.

That's a S/L I didn't expect.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I managed to scoop up a couple of Major Ice Orbs from some elite dungeons I hadn't yet finished, and was able to do this:

Now I don't need to be so drat tactical about when to apply Full Break in boss fights, and for most of them I should be able to keep Full Break up for the entirety of the fight!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What's even the point of the breaks now when it seems most bosses resist them now.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

KataraniSword posted:

Fair warning: Retaliate makes Hellbiter miss. Retaliate does not make Mega Death miss. If you plan on using Retaliate on Yunalesca, then make sure to either put Ricard/Josef's RM2 on them for the autosap, or make sure Retaliate is down when she does her first form change.

That's a S/L I didn't expect.

Same thing happened here. Saw that Cloud evaded Hellbiter but didn't realize what that'd mean until megadeath stomped him. Second try was easy enough though! Wish I'd brought protectga instead of shellga though, because despite what Dr. Mog says, she never used Holy on me. Just all physical crap. Lost 2 medals to damage taken but that's still a Champion at least!

Dr Pepper posted:

What's even the point of the breaks now when it seems most bosses resist them now.

Well...doesn't resisted just mean the effect is lessened, not nullified? Some effect sure beats no effect!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dr Pepper posted:

Valle posted:

Well...doesn't resisted just mean the effect is lessened, not nullified? Some effect sure beats no effect!

It's this. When breaks are resisted it reduces the debuff power but the break still applies.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

To be honest, I'd say it's perfectly fine to burn a Mythril heal on boss rush Atomos. Especially if you've pretty much blew all your skills vs the Dragon Flower.

That being said, I really need to get Thundaga to R5 at least and Thundaja (which I managed to scrounge up enough for) to at least R2. Mainly because I've two Thunder Rods.

EDIT: ... and I forgot Atomos was vulnerable to sleep. :doh:

widespread fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 2, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

It still makes a pretty notable difference even against bosses that resist it

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
haven't seen this mentioned. What is thing that is "under construction" In the middle of the screen?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Full Break + Breakdown on a boss is will still give a sizeable damage reduction as well and against enemies who aren't break resistant it'll basically cripple them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

hanales posted:

haven't seen this mentioned. What is thing that is "under construction" In the middle of the screen?

Abyss dungeons. Once they start, they'll be available for roughly the last week of the month and the first week of the following month. Each month a new set of dungeons is released, focusing on one specific skill. Beating all 5 dungeons in a set (which includes a "???" difficulty 1-stamina gimmick superboss) upgrades all characters on your account, present and future, with a 5 star rating in the relevant skill to a 6 star rating in the relevant skill and gives you a unique crafting material needed to make the 6 star ability associated with the skill. The four Abyss dungeons and their 6 star skills currently available in Japan are, in order of release, Black Magic (Ultima), Combat (Crush), White Magic (Reraise), and Summon (Neo Bahamut).

Of those, currently only enough 6 star orbs have been available to craft Ultima. It's disappointing, being only marginally stronger than Meteor and essentially impossible to hone.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well, last night I decided to take on Elite Yunalesca...FML I cleared her, but I lost two medals worth of damage and one for actions taken, so, even with clearing the bonus conditions, I STILL didn't get Elite. I'll have to retry eventually I suppose. Good news: With Devotion and no buffs/debuffs to affect damage, Lulu was pushing High 8k-low 9k with Darkra and hitting quad 9s with Blizzaja...too bad I can't hone Blizzaja right now because I lack 4* BM orbs for it. It's gonna be sitting at 4 uses for a while, and Darkra's sitting at 6. Had to bring Y'sholta and Yuna to heal up with Curagas/-Ajas to stay ahead of her damage curve in phase 3 and even with Tidus and Auron on "wreck her poo poo" duty, I was lacking damage with them. :suicide:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zurai posted:

Abyss dungeons. Once they start, they'll be available for roughly the last week of the month and the first week of the following month. Each month a new set of dungeons is released, focusing on one specific skill. Beating all 5 dungeons in a set (which includes a "???" difficulty 1-stamina gimmick superboss) upgrades all characters on your account, present and future, with a 5 star rating in the relevant skill to a 6 star rating in the relevant skill and gives you a unique crafting material needed to make the 6 star ability associated with the skill. The four Abyss dungeons and their 6 star skills currently available in Japan are, in order of release, Black Magic (Ultima), Combat (Crush), White Magic (Reraise), and Summon (Neo Bahamut).

Of those, currently only enough 6 star orbs have been available to craft Ultima. It's disappointing, being only marginally stronger than Meteor and essentially impossible to hone.

ReRaise sound ReRedundant unless it's a "Revive with 50% HP and abilities" deal. Crush better do something god drat magical or else it's a waste of 6*, and Neo Bahamut... could be good? :shrug:

Unrelated, but should I Madvantauntaliate my way through the Antlion, assuming I've Berserk at the ready? Or stick to the SG.

widespread fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Boy it sure is swell that if you trigger Exdeath Ultimate to go under 50% while he's readying an attack he gets to attack 3x in a row. :shepicide:

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Boy it sure is swell that if you trigger Exdeath Ultimate to go under 50% while he's readying an attack he gets to attack 3x in a row. :shepicide:

I enjoyed the times when he hit 4 times in the span of one SB cast, especially when that SB was a (needed) party heal.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alright, finally crafted my very first summon (Shiva).

Also Rydia's Radiant Breath SB is awesome and is completely breaking the game for me since I'm still pretty early (level 20-ish, in the middle of the FF6 stuff. Just got Cyan.)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Radiant breath?!

How do you have it this early?

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 2, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Isn't he the guy who said he was playing a japan account?

In other news, Elite Yunalesca was beaten. Fairly simple, but I forgot that her physical attacks also dispel buffs, so I should have re-established Shellga a little earlier than I would have.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Shoenin posted:

Radiant breath?!
How do you have it this early?

Japanese account. I pulled it from the 'Dr. Mog Beginner Selection' banner.

Funny story about that actually, I was checking the name of the banner to type it in just now and noticed that I hadn't read very carefully when I did the pull. Turns out it's 10+1 randoms and then you actually get to pick one of the main 5-stars for one of the main characters from the series. So I actually got 3 5-stars from that banner. Vivi's black mage robe, Rydia's dragon whip thing and then I picked the MC's wind book since I figure he's a character I'll always be using so I should prioritize him (plus the SB reduces magic defense and I use a magic-heavy party).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

He did it on two attempts in a row. Thankfully the 2nd attempt I had all my buffs up, including Carbuncle, so after his Blaze he reflected two spells back on to himself. Also had him hit me with Earthshaker right before I reapplied SS2 and it took two people to slivers of health, he then reflected 2x on his next turn and Yuna got her aoe heal off and the last 1/4 of the fight went alright. Managed to clear and got the mastery too, and an extra GDO drop. :toot:

Cleared it with this setup:

Carbuncle, Protectga/Shellga/Full Break are all r2, Magic Breakdown/Cura is r3, Double Cut is r4, Retaliate and Tempo Flurry are r5. I should've replaced Cura with that cure+regen skill, and given Sazh a barrier ring instead of the chocobo feather he had on for some reason (Omega, I think).

I didn't use Boon at all because I'm an idiot and kept attacking gilgamesh or using breaks. Haste would've made the fight go much smoother, as would using my 2nd Advance properly. Attacked, it wore off, and I ended up having to retaliate then Advance, so right before weak form I was basically crawling along, with reflect up, trying to push to the weak phase so I'd stop getting hit constantly with Vacuum Wave and used Yuna's SB 2x in 3 rounds as a result.

Pretty sure Yuna fired her SB 4, maybe 5 times in the fight. Ace Striker is an amazing RM because by the time Exdeath was at weak form she was hitting her 2nd SB bar. Y'shtola wasn't even at her 2nd SB usage yet and she started at +1 SB along with Tyro to ensure I could keep SS2/SG going non-stop (except for that one ES where I forgot to reapply early).

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
drat you tidus

drop your loving materia already. this whole event and like 500 stamina on loving zanarkand over and over and the sonovabitch still wont drop it

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 2, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

widespread posted:

ReRaise sound ReRedundant unless it's a "Revive with 50% HP and abilities" deal. Crush better do something god drat magical or else it's a waste of 6*, and Neo Bahamut... could be good? :shrug:

Unrelated, but should I Madvantauntaliate my way through the Antlion, assuming I've Berserk at the ready? Or stick to the SG.

Reraise as a 6 star single target ability with 2 starting charges is absolutely loving worthless and a serious waste of time which makes the fight required to craft it (Abyss Evrae Altana) even more frustratingly lovely. AOE Reraise as available on several SSBs at this point is useful in certain situations (the AOE version revives you at 40% HP when you die, but you lose all buffs and start at 0 ATB so it's pretty easy to die again immediately thereafter).

Crush is 2 AOE physical hits with a high chance of instant death. Neo Bahamut is 3 AOE non-elemental magic hits. The numbers beyond that aren't known at the current time because there aren't enough orbs to craft anything but Ultima currently. Ultima, for the record, is 2x525 potency AOE non-elemental magic hits. It starts out at 2 charges and takes absurd numbers of unfarmable materials to hone past that point.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zurai posted:

Reraise as a 6 star single target ability with 2 starting charges is absolutely loving worthless and a serious waste of time which makes the fight required to craft it (Abyss Evrae Altana) even more frustratingly lovely. AOE Reraise as available on several SSBs at this point is useful in certain situations (the AOE version revives you at 40% HP when you die, but you lose all buffs and start at 0 ATB so it's pretty easy to die again immediately thereafter).

Crush is 2 AOE physical hits with a high chance of instant death. Neo Bahamut is 3 AOE non-elemental magic hits. The numbers beyond that aren't known at the current time because there aren't enough orbs to craft anything but Ultima currently. Ultima, for the record, is 2x525 potency AOE non-elemental magic hits. It starts out at 2 charges and takes absurd numbers of unfarmable materials to hone past that point.

So a better Odin and a better Bahamut it sounds like, complete with less of a grind I assume. Sounds worth it. Also called it with ReRaise being bad.

Side note: mastered the Antlion. Seriously it's too easy what the fug. Melusine... eh. Not sure if I wanna. BUT I FEEL BETTER NOW THAT I CAN GET 110 DIFFICULTIES CLEARED AT LEAST.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

widespread posted:

So a better Odin and a better Bahamut it sounds like, complete with less of a grind I assume. Sounds worth it. Also called it with ReRaise being bad.

Side note: mastered the Antlion. Seriously it's too easy what the fug. Melusine... eh. Not sure if I wanna. BUT I FEEL BETTER NOW THAT I CAN GET 110 DIFFICULTIES CLEARED AT LEAST.

Melusine isn't bad, either advantaliate her to death or bring lots of fire and sleep if you can run a mage squad.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Melusine isn't bad, either Madvantauntaliate her to death or bring lots of fire and sleep if you can run a mage squad.

FTFY and yes I should. Now, Counter Attacks and regular attacks don't heal her when she's off of physical weakness, right?

Plus I'll wait on it to probably try for 10 more GPOs. So close to R2 Power/Magic Breakdown.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

widespread posted:

complete with less of a grind I assume.

Depends on what you mean by "less of a grind". 6 star abilities require 6 star orbs. The only way to acquire 6 star orbs currently is as first clear and mastery rewards for defeating specific bosses (Ultimate and Ultimate+ bosses, as well as the Abyss final bosses and the hardest of the 4 bosses required to unlock each Abyss final boss). You cannot upgrade 5 star orbs into 6 star orbs, nor do they drop randomly from any source. So, they cannot currently be grinded for at all. That means that they cannot possibly be honed at present, leaving them at their base uses (2 for Ultima, presumably 2 for Crush and Reraise and 1 for Neo Bahamut).

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The game literally crashed as Exdeath fell and I'm back to the prompt to do it again gently caress

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Great White Hope posted:

For the second straight event, I fail to master the 99 difficulty fight first try because I forget to read the bonus conditions.

"Woops"

Sure is sneaky of them when they add in that random requirement to the Elite fight when it wasn't there in Classic. :v:
I've never played X, so I don't know the story reason that Yuna has to be there. It doesn't add any extra dialogue or anything.

So I'm assuming the + battles are getting us Wakka's MC2? It doesn't say so in the Challenge banner when it usually does... but he's reappeared in the Level Cap list.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The fight against Yunalesca is a huge story moment in 10, where Yuna decides that she refuses to sacrifice any of her friends in order to give Spira temporary reprieve from Sin. She instead chooses to find another way and break the cycle. Lady Yunalesca (who was asking Yuna for her choice of who to sacrifice in order to make the Final Aeon needed to temporarily banish Sin) is rather upset at her proclamation and attacks the party. Yunalesca is, IIRC, the first Summoner to call a Final Aeon and banish Sin, creating the first Calm; she's also who Yuna was named after. Facing her down, both in dialog and in battle, is a big deal for Yuna.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I'm attempting to look up when the next Hastega relic is going to pop (since Wall relics are pretty much gone at this point), and the closest I see is the Jecht event in about two and a half months. Is that correct, or did I miss one along the way? I want to plan my next attempt to go balls deep on gacha and save up as much mythril as possible between now and then.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Zurai posted:

Yunalesca is, IIRC, the first Summoner to call a Final Aeon and banish Sin, creating the first Calm; she's also who Yuna was named after.

More or less. She was the daughter of Yu Yevon, and escaped Zanarkand's destrucion along with her husband Zaon, whom she turned into the final summoning in order to slay Sin. Yu Yevon was the leader of Zanarkand who was losing a war against Bevelle, but rather than let Zanarkand be destroyed he uh, destroyed it himself and created Sin. And programmed it to destroy machina and large settlements, because gently caress everyone.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So this vale of memories event has opened my eyes. I loving rocked dark knight cecil with my amazing ffiv armor synergy, but struggled to kill him in a reasonable time due to my poor weaponry. The sand worm I had to retry and reset my party 3 times before winning, and that's with a bunch of s/ls.

I can't decide what to pull on guys. I need to prioritize anything I'm missing over just mage weapons now that nightmare content has been released. I want to pull on the beginner banner, but I should wait till later to see if I need the storm staff or if I can go with the ssb tome for tyro.

I have amazing ffiv armor synergy. However with weapons I only have a 5* shared sb sword, a 5*++ rod, a 5*++ poison axe and a 5*+ dagger. Edge and rosa's banners have some really decent mage gear and a few more weapons I could use.

For ffv I have a both the rune and giant axe's at 5*+, two different 4* bows, a 5*++ dagger and light armor, as well as a 4*+ mage robe. I also have a 5*++ fire rod and thunder rod. Those might not be great as far as the super high end content gets, but it's sure as poo poo good enough to go by for now. However both of lenna's staffs are amazing, and a decent 5* melee weapon would go a long way honestly.

For ffx I have two poo poo 5* shields, a 4* sword and lovely katana. I really want that lullaby rod, but man I have poo poo synergy here. At least with riku I'll have a second ffx character who can use shields. If I wait for the jecht event I'll be able to pull a lullaby rod.

For ffxii I have a 4* sword, spear and hammer. As far as mage weapons go, I have like 3 different 4*+ staves and a 5*++ rod. My only armor is a 4*+ light armor from asche's event. Armor wise I need poo poo badly.

For ffxiii I have a lot of weapons. Hope's weapon, snow's jacket and the freebie throwing weapon, mage hat and gun are my only 5*'s. I also have a 5*+ staff, a 4* fist, almost two 5*++ bracers and a 4*+ dagger. Those freebies probably won't cut it come the 100+ challenges, but apart from that I may be ok here.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

GOOD ENOUGH. DON'T CARE ABOUT THE loving ORBS TO DO THAT AGAIN

seriously, his final turn as Bartz had Lupine Barrage queued was: Attack and kill Tyro > Mass Dispel > Groundshaker to wipe out Cloud/Rinoa/Lenna

Also Bartz kicks a lot of rear end. I think he's made his way into the A team with his really good moveset. It helps that the game really wants me to love him as I have both of his SBs now

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2016

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

this thing just looks so happy also the drops on him are great.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FeralWraith posted:

I'm attempting to look up when the next Hastega relic is going to pop (since Wall relics are pretty much gone at this point), and the closest I see is the Jecht event in about two and a half months. Is that correct, or did I miss one along the way? I want to plan my next attempt to go balls deep on gacha and save up as much mythril as possible between now and then.

Eiko's Hastega+Heal weapon returns for Beatrix's event about 4 away from now.

Edit:

Zurai posted:

525x2 is really underwhelming when you consider the free 4* Fat Chocobo summon we're getting is 2x440 potency. Sure, the Fat Chocobo is Earth element instead of non-elemental, but there are actually a fair number of ways to boost Earth damage, which would make its potency pretty comparable on enemies that aren't immune to Earth.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
*High Scorer finally drops*

Finally you fucker. now to grind so you drop the one I actually need.
Ace Striker can be gotten on any realm right? not just FFX?

• Locked thread