Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pls resize that gigantic image thx

e: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Data Graham posted:

And don't forget PageMill. Best Silicon Valley pun name ever, wasted on a doomed piece of shovelware.

I still remember when my boss at the little ISP where I worked emailed me after I had gone back to college. "By the way, I tried making some web pages using PageMill. The pages suck, and so does PageMill."

I lived in the valley recently and rode my bike up Page Mill Road (steep as gently caress by the way) and it took me way too long to realize the connection.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

pls resize that gigantic image thx

e: :69snypa:
Oops.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Casimir Radon posted:

My first trackball. Long before I ever used a mouse.

MOUSE? No. Not allowed. You can use your fancy trackball, or you can use a Digitizer. NO MOUSE ALLOWED!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

0toShifty posted:

MOUSE? No. Not allowed. You can use your fancy trackball, or you can use a Digitizer. NO MOUSE ALLOWED!

As someone who occasionally does some amateur CAD I'm very jealous. Maybe in this modern age of decent scanners I could just scan house plans in and then somehow use that as a background and overlay stuff on top of it, if CAD packages support that?

Remember those hand-held scanners that you dragged down the page? I never had one, they seemed like they wouldn't be great.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Brainworm posted:

Is that Fantavision? The version I remember looked like this:

nah, it's kidpix, jam packed with goofy effects, stamps and sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TayProAkmBE

it owned

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had the CD-ROM!!!! version that came with a pile of weird video clips of jackalopes and poo poo, it was great

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

win 2000 was the best os microsoft has ever made and will ever make

:colbert:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The default wallpaper in Windows XP was called bliss.jpg.

Here's that scene years later: (full sized too)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

0toShifty posted:

The default wallpaper in Windows XP was called bliss.jpg.

Here's that scene years later: (full sized too)

It's in Sonoma County, California. You can look at it from Google Maps here: https://goo.gl/maps/zW2wh78z93z

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Jan 2, 2016

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
So many memories. Our first family computer was a Zenith Z-100 with a 20 MB hard drive that cost my dad a bunch of extra money and he thought he'd never fill up. Over the years he maxed out the RAM and installed some card that upgraded it to 286 specs, I think. I also remember when he upgraded it with the real-time clock add-on. Prior to that you had to manually set the date and time at every boot.

I was going to post the laser mouse and reflective mousepad we had but I got beaten to it, so what about tractor-feed dot-matrix printers, the boxes of paper on the floor that fed up into them, and having to tear off the feed strips and separate all the pages?

Looks like a typewriter without a keyboard.

I remember between age 8 and 18 my life was filled with the horrible noise of these machines, and tearing off miles of those feed strips and sometimes weaving them into snakes. My dad sprung for the 24-pin printer, which produced much higher quality text but was a lot noisier and slower. School labs were full of the 9-pin variety which made lovely looking text but at least they were fast.

On the plus side they were good for printing out long banners for birthdays and special occasions since the pages were all stuck together by default.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We had an Okidata dot-matrix printer at home and I remember swapping out the ribbon with different colors to make colorful banners. I don't miss the noise the drat things made.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I miss the screeching of old laser printers

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

All of our old testing poo poo at work still used dot matrix printers.

One crusty old calorimeter would apparently only talk to a specific model of old IBM PS2 so when the computer blew up they had to trawl ebay to find another one like it to get any work done.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I used a lovely oki dot matrix to print out black and white pics of the moon landings and poo poo. They sure looked like they were beamed through a couple radiation belts before they got to the page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alceste posted:

So many memories. Our first family computer was a Zenith Z-100 with a 20 MB hard drive that cost my dad a bunch of extra money and he thought he'd never fill up. Over the years he maxed out the RAM and installed some card that upgraded it to 286 specs, I think. I also remember when he upgraded it with the real-time clock add-on. Prior to that you had to manually set the date and time at every boot.

I was going to post the laser mouse and reflective mousepad we had but I got beaten to it, so what about tractor-feed dot-matrix printers, the boxes of paper on the floor that fed up into them, and having to tear off the feed strips and separate all the pages?

Looks like a typewriter without a keyboard.

I remember between age 8 and 18 my life was filled with the horrible noise of these machines, and tearing off miles of those feed strips and sometimes weaving them into snakes. My dad sprung for the 24-pin printer, which produced much higher quality text but was a lot noisier and slower. School labs were full of the 9-pin variety which made lovely looking text but at least they were fast.

On the plus side they were good for printing out long banners for birthdays and special occasions since the pages were all stuck together by default.

Holy poo poo The Print Shop still exists.

http://www.broderbund.com/c-31-the-print-shop.aspx

Holy poo poo Broderbund still exists

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Alceste posted:

I had to assist with the replacement of an IBM 6400 dot matrix printer a year or two ago. Imagine what you have there but on steroids: It's about the size of a chest freezer and sounds like a hovercraft when it's printing. The old printer that got replaced was from 2000 and had BNC connectors instead of anything that resembled any sort of modernity like RJ45. It also needed some weird hardware device driven by a separate PC just to make the thing work with "modern" ethernet. The new hardware was basically the same thing but painted black instead of beige and had the ethernet adapter built into it for a few hundred extra bucks. Overall the thing cost as much as a base level compact car.

IBM mainframe hardware was and continues to be weird.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

So late night Youtube browsing found me a video on computer relics with THE most autistic intro I have ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YazFW0011Wk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Would you look at that, monocolor Apple logo in 1988.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

DarkMalfunction posted:

So late night Youtube browsing found me a video on computer relics with THE most autistic intro I have ever seen:

It's amazing how much easier it is to do a new install of Windows nowadays. You just click a few basic options, and it does everything for you. I only have Windows 95 as my earliest reference point, but looking at this video reminded me of how much harder it was to setup and maintain Windows back then.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Autumn Angel posted:

It's amazing how much easier it is to do a new install of Windows nowadays. You just click a few basic options, and it does everything for you. I only have Windows 95 as my earliest reference point, but looking at this video reminded me of how much harder it was to setup and maintain Windows back then.

A few years back I had to redo an XP installation, and it was so much more work than a W7 install.

The driver library was a lot smaller/less compatible back then, most everything wouldn't work all that well on the default Microsoft drivers in my experience.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

The Beagle Brothers were like tiny gods to nerdy kids with Apple II series computers. They produced a bunch of utility programs and 'hacker' tools, but the thing I most remember was their series of laminated cards that outlined things like the 6502 instruction set or the PEEK/POKE memory locations for the Apple II's custom hardware ASIC that let software interact with hardware.

My Nerd Squad of friends and I would gather around one of our school's Apple II machines and type stuff from the Beagle Bros cards to make the system beep and boop, switch to Hi-Res graphics, or just list out sections of assembly code that we would try to decipher. Then we would write programs in AppleSoft BASIC to read in the position of the joystick and print it out onscreen or whatever.

One of our teachers was terrified that we were going to permanently break something inside the computer with our activities, luckily there was another much cooler teacher who told her to chill out because he realized that (a) what we were doing was harmless, and (b) we were essentially getting one of the best learning experiences possible in terms of figuring out how computers worked at a low level. Thanks to the cool teacher most of Nerd Squad went on to become either electrical or computer engineers.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

DarkMalfunction posted:

you were not kidding! that made my day.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DarkMalfunction posted:

A few years back I had to redo an XP installation, and it was so much more work than a W7 install.

The driver library was a lot smaller/less compatible back then, most everything wouldn't work all that well on the default Microsoft drivers in my experience.

We called it plug and pray

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Bonzo posted:

We called it plug and pray

And it was great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

More Bill Gates from the same period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3TNslnsILo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Autumn Angel posted:

Yup. I work with some older dudes in IT and they still say maintain the "Win 98 SE is the best thing ever."

It's not. Yes, when it came out it was leagues better than Win95 but there was still a lot of awful stuff with it. poo poo would get hosed up for no reason whatsoever. With newer Windows versions, as long as you're not a retard and get malware on your machine, you should never have to do a wipe/reinstall.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Obsolete pretty much everywhere except car dealerships and auto parts stores. Every car I've bought had all the duplicate/triplicate forms printed on a dot matrix and auto parts stores around here that deal to mechanics print invoices with them.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those games were loving awesome. I bought one of them off GOG but it's been a chore getting used to that control scheme again after years of gamepads and KB+M.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

thathonkey posted:

win 2000 was the best os microsoft has ever made and will ever make

What's wrong with XP other than its default UI?

Nice, it isn't blinding now. It would have been funnier if the hill had been leveled to build the IndyCar track.

Alceste posted:

tearing off miles of those feed strips

But if you left them on, you could put the paper into one of those plastic binders that basically had a plastic sheet at the front and back and some wires that went between the front and back through the holes. I had all sorts of documentation from shareware programs printed out that way. Now I don't even have the drivers for my printer installed on my current PC!

Lord of Pie posted:

One crusty old calorimeter would apparently only talk to a specific model of old IBM PS2 so when the computer blew up they had to trawl ebay to find another one like it to get any work done.

No wonder PS/2s still cost so much :(

Data Graham posted:

:pusheen:

Fabulousity posted:

The old printer that got replaced was from 2000 and had BNC connectors instead of anything that resembled any sort of modernity like RJ45.

Was it TwinAx? i.e. not even regular 10Base-2 coax like we used for Ethernet before RJ-45 (10Base-T)?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Data Graham posted:

TBH, I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't find any Carmen Sandiego games on their website.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DarkMalfunction posted:

:eyepop: My first Windows computer had Win95 so this was an era I never had the privilege of living.

He had to remove the system disk and replace it with an application disk to run CLOCK.EXE and then put the system disk back to continue using Windows.

What a world 1985 was!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Of all the CEOs in America that deserve a pie in the face...and it's Bill "donate my entire fortune to charity" Gates, and not some health insurance CEO or Alice Walton or something. loving nerds.

:qq: Netscape Navigator should come with Windows. Or, Internet Explorer should be an optional download :qq:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Melmac posted:

:qq: Netscape Navigator should come with Windows. Or, Internet Explorer should be an optional download :qq:

More like NUTSCRAPE hahaha! I think you mean INTERNET EXPLODER LOL!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

Was it TwinAx? i.e. not even regular 10Base-2 coax like we used for Ethernet before RJ-45 (10Base-T)?

Both houses we lived in growing up my dad wired up using 10Base2. Thank god for wifi extenders because the whole house is hardwired with 10Base2 even today. I bought them the upgraded Fios router and a couple wi-fi extenders for the house because it was getting ridiculous.

e: he's one of those weird old-school computer nerds that is now getting too old to keep up with modern computers, like his brain is too full of PDP and Fortran and poo poo to figure out why programs are called apps in win10 and that kind of dumb crap

e2: also don't they use twinax for SATA nowadays?

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Jan 3, 2016

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah, that was it. Up until that point it was something I had only ever read about but had never actually seen in real life.

There's a computer museum in south downtown of Seattle I ought to visit sometime. I think I heard they have a control panel from an original 360 mainframe there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

http://www.bash.org/

wasted entire hours of junior high :airquote:computer class:airquote: reading this

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I had one of these growing up as a kid. The screen was really tiny, but color. It was so small, that it made the C64 look completely high resolution and I gamed on that thing night and day. When I went hunting with my dad as a kid for weeks, I took it along. The keyboard locked on to the front and the stand rotated upwards so you could carry it with you anywhere. The keyboard itself was really nicely made and tactile. The entire machine was 23 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsIjj9mFD6M

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

PLAY CTF YOU FUCKS :argh:

!add ctf
!promote

RISCy Business has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Some intern was digging through the archives.

Ha! I wrote that software. Does that make me an internet/computer relic ?

forelle has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jan 3, 2016