Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

drunken officeparty posted:

Just finished episode 2 of Making A Murderer.

The series wouldn't exist if he killed her but right now I'm thinking the dude killed her.

It's not a whodunnit, it's about what petty and corrupt pieces of poo poo the cops were. Whether or not he did it is besides the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not actually convinced he didn't do it. it's just insane how much the police obviously tampered with the case to get a guilty verdict.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just watched Reel Injun, a documentary about native american's representation in film, and got suggested Ridiculous 6. Way to be Netflix.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Chichevache posted:

Use Spoilers for the people who haven't watched yet, but what would lead you to believe he killed her?

Necromancy?

Little Witch Academia is generic anime story meets animators having fun. Its fun to watch.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Bone Tomahawk is on Prime!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sleeveless posted:

It's not a whodunnit, it's about what petty and corrupt pieces of poo poo the cops were. Whether or not he did it is besides the point.

Yeah, it's not a show about trying to find the real murderer, it's all about how the cops tampered with the scene and evidence to guarantee a conviction on the guy they thought did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If anything their lovely corrupt behavior will make sure we'll never actually know who did it, because they never properly investigated it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It seems as good a time as any to remind people that Rectify is on Netflix, which is basically a fictionalized version of the same basic concept (DNA evidence gets a guy exonerated of a rape and murder he didn't commit after 20 years in jail, the cops and politicians immediately begin scheming to get him back in jail, he struggles with life outside of prison while his family and community struggles to accept him) and is so, so good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Which would you guys say is better? Prime video or Netflix? I have Netflix USA at the moment but often can't decide what to watch and find myself scrolling for hours.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz2k21 posted:

Which would you guys say is better? Prime video or Netflix? I have Netflix USA at the moment but often can't decide what to watch and find myself scrolling for hours.

If your issue with Netflix is that you have too much to watch, then Prime is not going to help you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By default Prime is better because it comes with Amazon Prime.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i feel like Prime is starting to edge it out in terms of selection, but for me Netflix's streaming quality is better almost 100% of the time

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
At this point in time I'd be considering just getting the prime video service which is £5.99 a month (The same as netflix) I have noticed they have introduced a music service on the full prime package as well it's just a shame they don't offer a monthly payment scheme yet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sleeveless posted:

It seems as good a time as any to remind people that Rectify is on Netflix, which is basically a fictionalized version of the same basic concept (DNA evidence gets a guy exonerated of a rape and murder he didn't commit after 20 years in jail, the cops and politicians immediately begin scheming to get him back in jail, he struggles with life outside of prison while his family and community struggles to accept him) and is so, so good.
Has there been any news on when Rectify S3 hits Netflix?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gaz2k21 posted:

At this point in time I'd be considering just getting the prime video service which is £5.99 a month (The same as netflix) I have noticed they have introduced a music service on the full prime package as well it's just a shame they don't offer a monthly payment scheme yet.

I use Netflix about 8-10x more often than Prime if that helps.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Last night on Hulu I watched a documentary by James Franco called Saturday Night; it takes a behind-the-scenes look at the six-day production cycle of an episode of Saturday Night Live. It was a really entertaining watch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

3 dumb shitheads are stupid with time paradoxes= Time Lapse
Don't bother.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Someone mentioned it earlier, but Queen of Earth is definitely worth checking out. Simple story but it's done in a very interesting way with really unnerving and great atmosphere. It'd make a good double feature with Antichrist, I think.

It's also got a nice-looking but almost unparseable ending credit roll.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I think Prime video has enough to warrant the cost, but if it wasn't bundled with Prime shipping I'd stick exclusively to Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just at a casual glance I would honestly say that Prime has just as much good stuff as Netflix, if not more. With Prime you get some great indie movies like Ex Machina really early, you get a ton of great HBO shows, etc.

Then again, I pay for Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Spotify so I might not be the best person to ask. At least I don't pay for literal cable TV...

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Okay guys, you win. I was all excited for Making of a Murderer based on the thread. Was mostly bored through the first episode: "this is just like one of those CourTV documentaries", "yeah this whole thing is hosed, but the outrage ITT was overblown".

Then the end of the episode happened :aaaaa: I actually exclaimed "Holy poo poo".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Just at a casual glance I would honestly say that Prime has just as much good stuff as Netflix, if not more. With Prime you get some great indie movies like Ex Machina really early, you get a ton of great HBO shows, etc.

Then again, I pay for Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Spotify so I might not be the best person to ask. At least I don't pay for literal cable TV...

I think we're getting to the point where Netflix's value as a movie streaming service is slipping. Most of the newer stuff is available on Amazon Prime as well. Where it's gaining ground is with original material.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Medullah posted:

I think we're getting to the point where Netflix's value as a movie streaming service is slipping. Most of the newer stuff is available on Amazon Prime as well. Where it's gaining ground is with original material.

This is true but Amazon is going to have Not-TopGear soon.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

drunken officeparty posted:

This is true but Amazon is going to have Not-TopGear soon.

Yeah, but I'll probably still keep Prime anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

True, but Prime is getting there too - The Man in the High Castle and Transparent are both better than just about anything Netflix has produced, and their other stuff like Alpha House and Mozart in the Jungle ain't too shabby either.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My problem with prime is that it's hard to know what's on it. Netflix's menu is just better. At least for me on my fire tv stick, unless I just don't know how to use it properly.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

My problem with prime is that it's hard to know what's on it. Netflix's menu is just better. At least for me on my fire tv stick, unless I just don't know how to use it properly.

Prime's searching and listings are terrible. You barely can filter through poo poo and it's recommendations are mostly crap.

And since a "pro" for Prime was the music streaming, the filtering/recommendations/menus are even worse there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have Prime through my bluray player, and it has a garbage interface.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just watched Queen of Earth and... goddamn this film is just :stonklol:

Between this, her turn in Top of the Lake and The One I love, Elizabeth Moss is probably becoming one of the most capable actresses in film today, particularly in portraying mental illness, damaged or "off" characters, and she's in top form for this film. I'm going to need a few days to really work through this movie in my head. It's the kind of film where nothing actually happens, main characters sit around and mope, and beautiful rich white people tear each other apart with brutally honest and laser-targeted critiques, but in the execution it manages to be none of those things. It's like staring directly into the void. Devastatingly beautiful film.

Also, unrelated but does anyone else think that the soundtrack sounds familiar? During the entire runtime I kept thinking of this random credit sequence from Always Sunny in Philadelphia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI-0rmV2-Yo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

caligulamprey posted:

The Brothers Solomon is on Netflix Instant and it's basically the greatest movie of all time.

Pages back but it's important that you know you are a good,cool person and I love you.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

speshl guy posted:

Just watched Queen of Earth and... goddamn this film is just :stonklol:

I watched this the other night as well while tired. Amplified the mood when you nod off for a moment and come back to a scene in complete silence.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Coherence and really loved it, reminded me of The One I Love. Is there anything else streaming along the same lines?

Already seen Primer etc.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sock The Great posted:

Just watched Coherence and really loved it, reminded me of The One I Love. Is there anything else streaming along the same lines?

Already seen Primer etc.

Cosmopolis doesn't have the same scifi/magical realism tones, but it does have a similar sense of the uncanny playing into it. A feeling that there is something going on that you just can't grasp, and you can't even figure out why exactly it is that way. The first ten minutes or so might be boring and the poor green screen work might upset you a bit, but stick with it and it will turn into something really interesting.

I still don't know whether or not I liked that movie.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Chichevache posted:

Cosmopolis doesn't have the same scifi/magical realism tones, but it does have a similar sense of the uncanny playing into it. A feeling that there is something going on that you just can't grasp, and you can't even figure out why exactly it is that way. The first ten minutes or so might be boring and the poor green screen work might upset you a bit, but stick with it and it will turn into something really interesting.

I watched this last weekend and I sounded really stupid when I tried to describe it to my wife. It's a very interesting movie, I thought.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Any of you guys check out screambox yet? The selection seems pretty poo poo, the only standouts I noticed were The Hunger, a mildly erotic outer limits kinda show from the late 90s by showtime which has some bigger names (like Daniel Craig) starring at times, and a bunch of Elviras movie macabre series (which was how I first saw Manos: Hands of Fate) Other than that screambox has now introduced me to what has to be the literal bottom poo poo tier of movies, Brain Damage productions. Handycams and actors from the deli department take you on harrowing journeys through tiny middle america towns, with some of the most incredibly realistic dialogue I've ever seen put to film; I never once got the impression anyone involved is in a movie. I suspect flash cards were heavily involved. Anything here that doesn't suck? It's got a month free trial and seems its 4 bux a month, so at least the price is right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Shout factory.tv has a ton of those Elvira videos.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I love it but it's absolutely a confounding movie.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Don't bother with Big Game. I watched it because I really liked Rare Exports. It was terrible.

If you have kids they might like it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love it but it's absolutely a confounding movie.

agreed, it's one of maybe a handful of films that went completely over my head while I still completely loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Don't bother with Big Game. I watched it because I really liked Rare Exports. It was terrible.

If you have kids they might like it.

I was so sad to discover this.
Just watch Cloak and Dagger instead.