Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We did this sort of thing back home on the farm but police hate this one weird tip when it involves firearm discharge within city limits.

Hell, Dad's shot coyotes out of the living room window in the middle of the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also he made no mention of actually using .22 birdshot, which will pose much less danger to neighbors and home features.

If you're going the "murder their friends to set an example" route, I would have recommended a blowgun, which is much less likely to draw law enforcement or personal injury lawsuits, and just as effective.

Usually.

Plus you get to pretend to be a ninja, if that does anything for you.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

Why would he recommend a .22 handgun? A .22 rifle is much easier to shoot accurately, especially for a newbie.

.22 handguns are one of those epic internet gun owner memes that they have a healthy chortle over when they take a break from updating the IMFBD.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

This is a legit technique used in chemistry labs everywhere to control the flow of liquids.

Get your lameo hax outta here. Real men hack rodless.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It just hit me, whenever you see a reference to "real men", what follows is usually a lifehack. #ProTip

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

:ssh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Life hack: Use a pellet gun for easy bird removal you dingus.

That being said, dad's got a fancy one that could drop a medium sized dog so you're welcome to get nuts going down that path.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sleeveless posted:

.22 handguns are one of those epic internet gun owner memes that they have a healthy chortle over when they take a break from updating the IMFBD.

I wouldn't mind having a handgun that shot .22lr so I could have some variety when I shoot the heaps of the loving poo poo I have lying around in my safe.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really not hard to scare off pigeons in a way that doesn't require to to shoot at your apartment balcony and thrn leave dead birds out for weeks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Really the best way to get rid of pigeons is to eliminate their food supply. If there's pigeons that means pigeons have food in the area. More pigeons means more food. Things only breed if they're well fed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Things only breed if they're well fed.

Democrats Hate This One Easy Trick To Reduce The Surplus Population!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Screaming Idiot posted:

Democrats Hate This One Easy Trick To Reduce The Surplus Population!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

That stuff is still loud as poo poo out of a pistol. This:

Is the jam for silently dispatching wildlife. It is my go to for killing mice caught in glue traps.

I though this was more or less disproved, at least for urban areas. Or rather, the idea of being able to walk to a supermarket is unrealistic to expect to be a universal thing. It might have just been a thing I heard from Internet republicans though.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

How does a bullet work without gunpowder?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bongwizzard posted:

I though this was more or less disproved, at least for urban areas. Or rather, the idea of being able to walk to a supermarket is unrealistic to expect to be a universal thing. It might have just been a thing I heard from Internet republicans though.

Well, it's more complicated than just "Has to drive far to a supermarket." Food deserts are also areas where the cost of healthy foods is prohibitive compared to unhealthy foods like frozen dinners and fast food. Inner city residents may have only small local grocery stores that have to charge higher prices than major corporate chains like Walmart, and more rural residents may simply live in an area where fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat are more expensive than other areas despite technically being readily available. This puts low-income people at a disadvantage when it comes to health.

CommunistPancake posted:

The primer provides enough force from its explosion to push a lightweight bullet out. Some rounds, like .22 BB Cap, are just stubby cases with a primer and no gunpowder. The obvious downside is that these weak rounds are pathetic for hunting all but the smallest game and won't reliably cycle semi-autos.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

CommunistPancake posted:

Really, really strong rubber bands.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, it's more complicated than just "Has to drive far to a supermarket." Food deserts are also areas where the cost of healthy foods is prohibitive compared to unhealthy foods like frozen dinners and fast food. Inner city residents may have only small local grocery stores that have to charge higher prices than major corporate chains like Walmart, and more rural residents may simply live in an area where fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat are more expensive than other areas despite technically being readily available. This puts low-income people at a disadvantage when it comes to health.

The primer provides enough force from its explosion to push a lightweight bullet out. Some rounds, like .22 BB Cap, are just stubby cases with a primer and no gunpowder. The obvious downside is that these weak rounds are pathetic for hunting all but the smallest game and won't reliably cycle semi-autos.

The only poor urban areas I have lived in had large Hispanic populations and there were always a ton of places to buy fruit and veg, limited selection as it was. You could also count on Hispanic groceries to have huge bags of rice and beans for super cheap. I understand it's not universal but there were a few times when I spent my last $20 on rice and beans and was pretty pleased to have my food for the month taken care of. My dads family was from rural rural West Virginia and yea if you don't have a car there you are super super hosed.

And to the second point, the SC ammo has a longer case so it will feed, but not cycle semi auto guns. I use a little kid sized revolver as my mouse gun. They will go about an half inch or so into a phone book, which would be enough for maybe something squirrel sized.

So guess the life hack here is to buy a $400 gun so you can shoot neighborhood squirrels and eat for free.

WALLA!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

It just hit me, whenever you see a reference to "real men", what follows is usually a lifehack. #ProTip

A Real Man Punches A Bunch Of Pigeons In The Side Of The Head...What The 17th Pigeon Did Was Priceless!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
WALLABY!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sleeveless posted:

Wait really? Have I been missing out on chortles all of these years?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LeJackal posted:

You may not have glass stirring rods at home (I do.) but a butter knife works well enough.

chopsticks are also good.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

What if you got stung by a bee on your dick, do you still smash it with a meat tenderizer? For how long? Until it stops hurting or until you end up with dick schnitzel?

Nononono, you got it wrong.

If you get stung, you can smash with the tenderizer anywhere else in your body until the pain in the newly-smashed area is greater than the pain of the sting.

This might work for every kind of pain, btw.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Am I the only one who noticed that it advises you to rub food-coloring mixed with crisco on your face before going to a sports event which is probably going to be hot, last several hours between the game, tailgating, and post-game drinking, and have the sun beating down on you the whole time?

Helllloooo blackheads and skin burns

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

If you want to keep pigeons off your balcony put up pigeon netting, that's what it's for.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

No one is going to address that dad takes his pigeon anger out on the family? Lifehack: settle down bucko

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's really gross videos of blackheads on youtube, just sayin #lifehack

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

The only poor urban areas I have lived in had large Hispanic populations and there were always a ton of places to buy fruit and veg, limited selection as it was. You could also count on Hispanic groceries to have huge bags of rice and beans for super cheap. I understand it's not universal but there were a few times when I spent my last $20 on rice and beans and was pretty pleased to have my food for the month taken care of. My dads family was from rural rural West Virginia and yea if you don't have a car there you are super super hosed.

Hispanic grocery stores actually do an awesome job stocking cheap and high quality fruits and vegetables. In comparison middle class "white" supermakrts like savemart and traders joes have garbage.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Hispanic grocery stores actually do an awesome job stocking cheap and high quality fruits and vegetables. In comparison middle class "white" supermakrts like savemart and traders joes have garbage.

Also excellent for low cost spices, like 1000% cheaper.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

chitoryu12 posted:

bongwizzard posted:

Food deserts in urban areas are typically in low-income areas because groceries have moved out. Grocery stores have a very small profit margin, but since everyone has to eat, they are generally profitable. In low-income areas where their cost of doing business goes up because of violence in the area, they will pull out, ceding to whoever can pad their cost of doing business into the low-cost, high profit foods that are non-perishable and prepared. Whole Foods is trying to open smaller stores in food deserts to help combat that. I also have acquaintances that work in the deep south side of Chicago and work with kids to give them more middle class experiences to help them prepare for higher education and even things like the ACT/SAT, including going to a large grocery store (many kids had never been to a full sized grocery store before and didn't know how to weigh produce), going downtown and ordering food at a restaurant.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Eponine posted:

(many kids had never been to a full sized grocery store before and didn't know how to weigh produce)

i just get whatever and let them weigh it at the till, who weighs what they're buying in the store? i haven't seen a scale on the shopping floor in a long time

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

arnbiguous posted:

i just get whatever and let them weigh it at the till, who weighs what they're buying in the store? i haven't seen a scale on the shopping floor in a long time

It's important for someone in poverty to weigh their food themselves when it's priced by weight, to avoid spending too much.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

arnbiguous posted:

For the bulk section (dry goods by the pound) it's a good idea since I'm not too good at judging what a pound of stuff looks like, and it's quite different for each food (pound of beans looks different than rice, looks different than oatmeal, etc). But for produce I'll just buy what I'd eat and drat the weight.

Here's a lifehack: Build your own "EMP" generator! https://imgur.com/gallery/Brp4f

(I wonder if it would actually do anything. Lots of stuff lights up fluorescents).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Usually I'll just eyeball the stuff #lifehack

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

I learned to pour milk into a glass from a fairly long height as a kid and the habit stuck. I get a lot of admiring looks at lunch at work.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Karate Bastard posted:

Usually I'll just eyeball the stuff #lifehack

How does "eyeballing" work? Do you mash the banana up first, or just stick it in your eye, peel and all?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How does "eyeballing" work? Do you mash the banana up first, or just stick it in your eye, peel and all?

Peel the banana, mash it, and roll an amount of the mashed banana between your hands until you have a sphere about the size of your eyeball (metric=1.5 peepers)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

dump here http://imgur.com/gallery/mZzMc

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

*Places potatoes and carrots in boiling water, kills entire family with poison gas*

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just blink into the bag until you feel the jazz coming on #lifehacks #crackhax #dajoose

E: oh wait, you were talking about bananas. Dunno, don't have much experience with those. Don't you freebase that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

Is there a single loving action that hasn't been turned into something that can be used to impress a manga/anime character? loving pouring is close-up impressed-face-frame-worthy now?