Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

NihilismNow posted:

Say my wife is disobedient. How should i hit her to prevent permanent marks?
Like just a slap across the face or are clenched fists acceptable?

Peace be unto you brothers.

The correct arabic translation indicates a limitation set of maximum attention getter you can use for a serious problem in a marriage, which put a stop to the harsh treatment of women in the early Arab tribes. It does not mean "beat" as in to abuse, but to "tap lightly" and in Arab tradition this meant to use nothing larger or more harmful than your one finger (typically a miswak).

Here, lets get women's perspective.

quote:

One Explanation (tafsir) given of this surahc (chapter 4:34) according to some scholars is:

"Men are the support of women as God gives some more means than others, and because they spend of their wealth (to provide for them). So women who are virtuous are obedient to God and guard the hidden as God has guarded it. As for women who are averse in behavior, talk to them suasively, leave them alone in bed and tap them (like a doctor would tap a patient - lightly), if they open out to you, do not seek an excuse for blaming them. Surely God is sublime and great."

Meaning of the Words

For the three words fa'izu, wahjaru, and wadribu in the original, translated here 'talk to them suasively,' 'leave them alone (in bed - fi'l-madage'),' and tap lightly (percuss them), respectively,

Fa'izu (to use persuasive speech or admonishment)

Fa'izu, implies the first step should be to make clear to them using straight talk, the position they are in and what is required to comply with the teaching of Islam. This approach may be repeated until it is established she has understood and is willing to comply and come back into line with the proper expected of a Muslim woman.

Hajara - Wahjaru (do not touch or molest them)

Hajara, he says, means to separate body from body, and points out that the expression wahjaru hunna metaphorically means to refrain from touching or molesting them. Zamakhshari is more explicit in his Kshshaf when he says, 'do not get inside their blankets.'

Daraba (tap lightly as 'percuss', not to beat)

Daraba lightly tap them (women).' This view is strengthened by the Prophet's authentic hadith found in a number of authorities, including Bukhari and Muslim:

"Could any of you beat your wife as he would a slave, and then lie with her in the evening?"

There are other traditions in Abu Da'ud, Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, Ahmad bin Hanbal and others, to the effect that he forbade the beating of any woman, saying:

"Never beat God's handmaidens."

http://www.islamswomen.com/marriage/wife_beating_in_islam.php

More detailed discussion on the topic:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=307

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

Say my wife is disobedient. How should i hit her to prevent permanent marks?
Like just a slap across the face or are clenched fists acceptable?

Peace be unto you brothers.
Oh is this really necessary?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Amun Khonsu posted:

The correct arabic translation indicates a limitation set of maximum attention getter you can use for a serious problem in a marriage, which put a stop to the harsh treatment of women in the early Arab tribes. It does not mean "beat" as in to abuse, but to "tap lightly" and in Arab tradition this meant to use nothing larger or more harmful than your one finger (typically a miswak).

Here, lets get women's perspective.

More detailed discussion on the topic:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=307

In general, how do you reconcile the qur'an and the hadith when there's conflict between the two? Like, for example, Sahih Muslim 004, 2127, seems to explicitly contradict the explanation you gave there.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

In general, how do you reconcile the qur'an and the hadith when there's conflict between the two? Like, for example, Sahih Muslim 004, 2127, seems to explicitly contradict the explanation you gave there.

A few of things to note regarding hadith in general.

Translations between languages rarely give a completely accurate rendering in another language.
The hadith were narrated and classified by their chains of narration 200 years later.
Other hadith give different narrations with varying details on the same topics.
The hadith are complimentary of the Qur'an but the Qur'an is God's revelation and is more authoritative.

Regarding this particular hadith that you mention, it is reported to have been narrated by the Prophet's wife 'Aisha. The arabic word "lahada" means to "nudge" not "hit". The verse can be translated that he "nudged" her which she felt.

Here is the hadith you mention:

quote:

He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He gave me a nudge on the chest which I felt, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you? She said: Whatsoever the people conceal, Allah will know it. Sahih Muslim http://sunnah.com/muslim/11/132

It is important to note that 'Aisha also is reported to have narrated this hadith:

quote:

'Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported:

Messenger of Allah never hit anything with his hand neither a servant nor a woman but of course, he did fight in the Cause of Allah. He never took revenge upon anyone for the wrong done to him, but of course, he exacted retribution for the sake of Allah in case the Injunctions of Allah about unlawful acts were violated.

Sahih Muslim Book 1, Hadith 644 http://sunnah.com/riyadussaliheen/1/644

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 2, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That's cool, I don't want to get hung up on the topic specifically, I just noticed that he either hit in the chest or shoved Aisha at some point, which isn't quite the same as lightly tapping with one finger, so I was curious about how you reconcile the discrepancy when the qur'an says X and the hadith says Y.

and yeah that said it seems to be you'd take what's in the qur'an above what's in the hadith

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Amun Khonsu posted:

I follow my faith closely and am well knowledgeable about it. Islam is a social justice movement.

Haha, excellent. 5/5.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Cingulate posted:

From what I can tell, for Zakmonster, "inherently wrong" = causes direct, unwanted suffering to human (and possible other) human beings in this world.

This is accurate.

waitwhatno posted:

Read the last two pages, being gay is not a sin. Only the splitting of rear end to ram cock is a sin. You can probably even kiss and it will not be a sin, but I dunno.

This is also accurate. Kissing is considered a 'minor zina'. Still kinda bad, but nothing to flagellate yourself over. Still best to be sorry and avoid, however.

The thing to note is that most imams will agree that premarital/extramarital/homosexual sex (heretofore shortened to 'haram sex'), is forbidden because letting it go unchecked is likely to have negative consequences on society (which I agree is debatable). So its actually more of a social no-no, than it is an immoral act.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

The thing to note is that most imams will agree that premarital/extramarital/homosexual sex (heretofore shortened to 'haram sex'), is forbidden because letting it go unchecked is likely to have negative consequences on society (which I agree is debatable). So its actually more of a social no-no, than it is an immoral act.
Now I fear I am again confused. You'd say homosexual acts are sins against God though right? Because God has said so?

And if you were presented with some very credible scientific numbers that gay sex truly hurts society (for example, by spreading diseases), you would then say gay sex is, in addition to being a sin in the eyes of God, inherently bad?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Amun Khonsu posted:

No people sin by being born according to Islam. Original sin is specific to Christian theology, not Islam.

Well now you're contradicting yourself: is homosexuality sinful or not?

waitwhatno posted:

Read the last two pages, being gay is not a sin. Only the splitting of rear end to ram cock is a sin. You can probably even kiss and it will not be a sin, but I dunno.

I am so sick of hearing this asinine cop-out. If you believe that homosexuals, as a result of who they are as people, cannot have romantic relationships without it being sinful, then you are saying they can only avoid sin by severely limiting their experience of life in a way that is not asked of other people. That can only be interpreted as a punishment they are deemed as deserving simply for being born. If that's what you think, then you obviously don't think "oh, no, gays are perfectly alright" because then you would feel that they had the same rights as everyone else.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 3, 2016

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I think you should read my posts again. There is no contradiction here. Maybe you are confusing my posts with zaks posts since we have differing opinions on the topic.

Frankly im not interested in discussing homosexuals anymore. What they do is between God and them, not me and them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Amun Khonsu believes that homosexuality is a choice, or is otherwise something people can overcome or otherwise be cured of. In other words, not born that way.

Amun Khonsu posted:

Frankly im not interested in discussing homosexuals anymore. What they do is between God and them, not me and them.

Homosexual equality is what's generally considered a relevant social justice topic.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 3, 2016

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Homosexual equality is what's generally considered a relevant social justice topic.

Yes, it is. After three pages, I think I've said all I can on it from an Islamic perspective. Im not sure what more people want on the topic.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Now I fear I am again confused. You'd say homosexual acts are sins against God though right? Because God has said so?

And if you were presented with some very credible scientific numbers that gay sex truly hurts society (for example, by spreading diseases), you would then say gay sex is, in addition to being a sin in the eyes of God, inherently bad?

Yes, I would. I don't think I'm in the habit of supporting things that a truly harmful to society.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I am so sick of hearing this asinine cop-out. If you believe that homosexuals, as a result of who they are as people, cannot have romantic relationships without it being sinful, then you are saying they can only avoid sin by severely limiting their experience of life in a way that is not asked of other people. That can only be interpreted as a punishment they are deemed as deserving simply for being born. If that's what you think, then you obviously don't think "oh, no, gays are perfectly alright" because then you would feel that they had the same rights as everyone else.

I do feel that gays have the same rights as anyone else. God says differently. As a Muslim, I trust and obey God, because I have faith that God knows better.

Let's break it down again, in case you're still confused:

- Homosexuals are not sinful or wrong.

- Gay sex is haram

- If two homosexuals have sex in the privacy of their bedroom, no one really cares because no one can really confirm that it happened.

- Whatever sin two or more homosexuals might get up to is between them and God, and not my place to judge, unless it affects me personally.

- Yes, not being able to have a romantic relationship sucks and is probably an unfair test/punishment. What a gay person wants to do given this dilemma is also up to them, and between them and God. Not my place to judge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If God doesn't like butt sex, oh well. If it's a sin, maybe he'll forgive it. If premarital sex is a sin, maybe he'll forgive me for it, too. I'm a pretty good person otherwise, and believe in God, so either way, even if I end up going to Hell for sinning more than good deeding, eventually I'll get out because I believe in God and that's the only unforgivable sin.

I can't tell if God will compare us against all the other people of our Era or if he'll just have a universal benchmark for all people, be they stone age tribal people that lived before any of his books were revealed or if they live on a moonbase in some other galaxy and have to pray facing the Stargate that got them there. I don't really give a poo poo.

All I can do is be a good person and live my life. That includes being friends with gay people and not giving a poo poo about what they do in private, because just like a hetero couple it's none of my goddamn business, same way if I'm loving my girlfriend every night who I have no intention of marrying and we use condoms every time, it's none of your goddamn business, either.

God will make of it what he will. I give money to poor people, am generally a good person, have helped save several hundred lives in the last few years, and otherwise have tried to help people live healthier lives. Yes, I've also been involved when errors were made by someone, and people died. Far fewer of those cases than the others, obviously, but still, sometimes I wonder if I could have done something differently or if I'm either partly or wholly responsible for someone's death. Do I go flog myself about it?

No, I just keep living my life, trying to do the best I can because I'm flawed because I'm human, and no one is perfect, not even the Prophet was. Neither was Jesus, according to the Quran, he blinded people for pissing him off when he was a kid, among other things. That's a story you only find in the Quran since we don't deify him because he was just a dude that happened to need miracles to get people to believe him.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 3, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Empirical note: most gay sex is not anal in nature. Gay people engage in anal sex at a rate of about 3 in 5 - to heterosexual couples with a rate of about 2 in 5.

Why does God dislike extramartial sex? Is that just a completely arbitrary rule?

Imagine two kids (non-siblings) are raised by wolves and never learn about God having made this decision. Comes puberty, they start fooling around. This is sinful in the eye of God. Maybe he's not gonna punish them because they couldn't have known better. They point is, they couldn't, right? They could not have known gay sex is bad. Okay, they could not have known a bunch of things, such as which direction to pray in, or to pray at all. But it seems God hasn't even left us any cues that extramartial sex is bad. In fact, about the opposite - all of the animals do that poo poo all of the time, and every human being desires it about as much as they desire food. God has given us a pretty good cue that cruelty is wrong: he has given us empathy. But applying the same tool that would teach a feral child that cruelty is wrong to the case of extramartial sex would lead them to thing God totally wants us to do it.

And to about everyone, there seems to be this huge disconnect between stuff like torture, slavery, rape, even theft on one hand, and stuff like extramartial sex on the other. So how did God come up with the set of things he perceives as personal offenses, even though they're not "inherently wrong"?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fuzz posted:

If God doesn't like butt sex, oh well. If it's a sin, maybe he'll forgive it. If premarital sex is a sin, maybe he'll forgive me for it, too. I'm a pretty good person otherwise, and believe in God, so either way, even if I end up going to Hell for sinning more than good deeding, eventually I'll get out because I believe in God and that's the only unforgivable sin.

I can't tell if God will compare us against all the other people of our Era or if he'll just have a universal benchmark for all people, be they stone age tribal people that lived before any of his books were revealed or if they live on a moonbase in some other galaxy and have to pray facing the Stargate that got them there. I don't really give a poo poo.

All I can do is be a good person and live my life. That includes being friends with gay people and not giving a poo poo about what they do in private, because just like a hetero couple it's none of my goddamn business, same way if I'm loving my girlfriend every night who I have no intention of marrying and we use condoms every time, it's none of your goddamn business, either.

God will make of it what he will. I give money to poor people, am generally a good person, have helped save several hundred lives in the last few years, and otherwise have tried to help people live healthier lives. Yes, I've also been involved when errors were made by someone, and people died. Far fewer of those cases than the others, obviously, but still, sometimes I wonder if I could have done something differently or if I'm either partly or wholly responsible for someone's death. Do I go flog myself about it?

No, I just keep living my life, trying to do the best I can because I'm flawed because I'm human, and no one is perfect, not even the Prophet was. Neither was Jesus, according to the Quran, he blinded people for pissing him off when he was a kid, among other things. That's a story you only find in the Quran since we don't deify him because he was just a dude that happened to need miracles to get people to believe him.

Pleeeeaase, don't be silly. Islam is forever and ever incompatible with post-modern society. You don't exist and everybody knows that!

Silly liberal strawman, thinks he is people. :rolleyes:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I believe that au courant liberal western morality is flawed, that Iron Age monotheism is flawed, and that attempts to dress up Iron Age monotheism in au courant liberal western morality are doubly flawed!

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
The mention of cave people made me think of a question. Muslims believe in heaven and hell, correct? What about purgatory? What about all those people who lived and died before Mohammed? If there's no original sin, do babies automatically go to heaven?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JustinMorgan posted:

The mention of cave people made me think of a question. Muslims believe in heaven and hell, correct? What about purgatory? What about all those people who lived and died before Mohammed? If there's no original sin, do babies automatically go to heaven?

No one goes to heaven until the Day of Judgment. In the interim, everyone sits around in what is essentially a cosmic waiting room (purgatory) where those that have sinned can, in fact, be punished for those sins so they aren't accountable for them on the Day of Judgment.

Those who lived before the revelations had little choice in the matter, and thus are not damned to Hell because they didn't have a choice in the matter of knowing about God. Babies fall into this category, as do really small children (under age 12), because in Islam God is very forgiving... the short prayer that you read before reading from the Quran does, in fact, translate to, "In the name of God, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful."

If you are Jewish, you will go to Heaven if you were a good person. This is because you believe in God.

If you were Christian, you will (arguably) go to Heaven if you were a good person. This is because you believe in God. The arguable nature is that the vast majority of modern Christian sects believe Jesus was the literal son of God, which is actually back into that unforgivable sin, in Islam.

Further, even if you sin and are damned to Hell on the Day of Judgment, if you believe in God, one day you will be freed and returned to Heaven, because ultimately there is a time limit on all punishments and God will forgive all sins, except for willfully failing to believe in him and, even worse, actively subverting others away from him. That is the only sin that will truly get you a one way ticket to the worst place imaginable (aka a prison in Detroit).

The above reasons are why the Muslims generally didn't force people to convert in their conquered lands, be they in the Middle East, Northern Africa, the Subcontinent, or Spain. There was no need to convert a people that were already believers, although strategically this obviously ended up biting them in the rear end hard, especially in Spain and India. It's why you don't see Muslim missionaries nowadays outside of fundamentalist whackjob wahabi cultist assholes... Islam teaches us to live by example, and lead our lives in a respectable and clean manner, and if we are good others will see the merits of our ways and if they are interested, they can be educated on the topic. That is how the Prophet converted people, and it's the only true way to win someone's heart and mind to a belief system. There is no arguing to convince people, as some people in this thread seem to think there is... y do your thing, I do my thing, and if you see my thing (:pervert:) and are interested in learning about how it works (:pervert::pervert:), I can show you how it works. (:pervert::pervert::pervert:)

The pursuit of knowledge and the preservation of all human knowledge is actually one of the major tenets of Islam... it's why the Caliphate preserved all of that Plutarch, Tacitus, Aristotle, etc so that we have it all today, in the original Latin/Greek. It's why we still have such a functional understanding of life in Ancient Egypt, their monuments, tombs, etc were all preserved. It's why there's such a big push in (most) Muslim families to pursue knowledge and educate yourself... it's literally the same mindset as Judaism, which is again why I say Judaism and Islam are, in many ways, the same religion.

All theshit going on with ISIL, Al-Qaeda, etc is just a straight up travesty and explicitly goes against what the religion teaches us to do. Blame it on the loving Saudis... one of the greatest assets of Islam is that it's not centralized and you only need to pray to God and he will hear you... one of the greatest flaws of Islam is that it's not centralized, so those in need of guidance mistakenly turn to Mecca for their spiritual direction, and Mecca can, often has been, and is currently ruled by a bunch of lovely rear end in a top hat fuckheads. :argh:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 4, 2016

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

Pleeeeaase, don't be silly. Islam is forever and ever incompatible with post-modern society.

I bet Muslims were saying this about Christians during the European Dark Ages. What a ridiculous, unfounded and untrue statement, all around.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Mecca can, often has been, and is currently ruled by a bunch of lovely rear end in a top hat fuckheads. :argh:

Much truth in this statement.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fuzz posted:

No one goes to heaven until the Day of Judgment. In the interim, everyone sits around in what is essentially a cosmic waiting room (purgatory) where those that have sinned can, in fact, be punished for those sins so they aren't accountable for them on the Day of Judgment.

Those who lived before the revelations had little choice in the matter, and thus are not damned to Hell because they didn't have a choice in the matter of knowing about God. Babies fall into this category, as do really small children (under age 12), because in Islam God is very forgiving... the short prayer that you read before reading from the Quran does, in fact, translate to, "In the name of God, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful."

If you are Jewish, you will go to Heaven if you were a good person. This is because you believe in God.

If you were Christian, you will (arguably) go to Heaven if you were a good person. This is because you believe in God. The arguable nature is that the vast majority of modern Christian sects believe Jesus was the literal son of God, which is actually back into that unforgivable sin, in Islam.

Further, even if you sin and are damned to Hell on the Day of Judgment, if you believe in God, one day you will be freed and returned to Heaven, because ultimately there is a time limit on all punishments and God will forgive all sins, except for willfully failing to believe in him and, even worse, actively subverting others away from him. That is the only sin that will truly get you a one way ticket to the worst place imaginable (aka a prison in Detroit).

The above reasons are why the Muslims generally didn't force people to convert in their conquered lands, be they in the Middle East, Northern Africa, the Subcontinent, or Spain. There was no need to convert a people that were already believers, although strategically this obviously ended up biting them in the rear end hard, especially in Spain and India. It's why you don't see Muslim missionaries nowadays outside of fundamentalist whackjob wahabi cultist assholes... Islam teaches us to live by example, and lead our lives in a respectable and clean manner, and if we are good others will see the merits of our ways and if they are interested, they can be educated on the topic. That is how the Prophet converted people, and it's the only true way to win someone's heart and mind to a belief system. There is no arguing to convince people, as some people in this thread seem to think there is... y do your thing, I do my thing, and if you see my thing (:pervert:) and are interested in learning about how it works (:pervert::pervert:), I can show you how it works. (:pervert::pervert::pervert:)

The pursuit of knowledge and the preservation of all human knowledge is actually one of the major tenets of Islam... it's why the Caliphate preserved all of that Plutarch, Tacitus, Aristotle, etc so that we have it all today, in the original Latin/Greek. It's why we still have such a functional understanding of life in Ancient Egypt, their monuments, tombs, etc were all preserved. It's why there's such a big push in (most) Muslim families to pursue knowledge and educate yourself... it's literally the same mindset as Judaism, which is again why I say Judaism and Islam are, in many ways, the same religion.

All theshit going on with ISIL, Al-Qaeda, etc is just a straight up travesty and explicitly goes against what the religion teaches us to do. Blame it on the loving Saudis... one of the greatest assets of Islam is that it's not centralized and you only need to pray to God and he will hear you... one of the greatest flaws of Islam is that it's not centralized, so those in need of guidance mistakenly turn to Mecca for their spiritual direction, and Mecca can, often has been, and is currently ruled by a bunch of lovely rear end in a top hat fuckheads. :argh:

This is a very god post and was great to read, thank you.

One of my many speed bumps to finding a faith, in addition to the fact I'm just a very skeptical person, is my friends. For example, I have a lesbian transexual neopagan who is like a sister to me. She's helped me out a lot at rough points in my life. The love of my life is a bisexual Baptist Christian.

The idea any of them are going to Hell for things I don't think of as wrong, let alone so wrong they are condemned eternally, naturally keeps me at odds with the Abrahamic faiths. Islam is the third one I've given serious consideration to but this roadblock remains as daunting as ever.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I just dont get where people get this idea where if you sin its all over for you, for the longest time in my life i was taught that people are judged for everything in the afterlife, but the good they have done can outweigh their sins, and this is why there is minor and major sins, its obviously classified and weighted. The basic things in Islam to be considered a muslim is to pray, fast, give to charity and go to hajj, but what if a homosexual muslim did all these would he still go to hell for it because he engaged in sodomy?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fizzil posted:

I just dont get where people get this idea where if you sin its all over for you, for the longest time in my life i was taught that people are judged for everything in the afterlife, but the good they have done can outweigh their sins, and this is why there is minor and major sins, its obviously classified and weighted. The basic things in Islam to be considered a muslim is to pray, fast, give to charity and go to hajj, but what if a homosexual muslim did all these would he still go to hell for it because he engaged in sodomy?

My view: Nope.
General Muslim view: ... Maybe?

There's a Hadith in Islam, one of the few that's pretty good - It's based on the idea of good and bad as a currency that is counted (apparently God works for Bioware):

If you think of doing a bad deed, it's as if you did nothing at all.

If you think of doing a good deed, it's as if you did it.

If you do a bad deed, it's remembered.

If you do a good deed, ten times its value is earned.

Now who the hell really knows about God's exchange rate, maybe inflation has hosed it all up, maybe the currencies have different base values, whatever. The underlying point, and I think it's the major selling point that is what got (and even now gets) people to convert is the belief that God is loving and wants us to succeed. So much so that the rules are so lopsided he's basically cheating on our behalf. He can and will forgive you your sins, you need only ask it of him. You do this by asking him directly, on your own, not through some intermediary that will ascribe a man made penance. You won't know if he listened, mind you, but you can only try to be better and lead a better life... that's the goal of every Muslim.

I think that's a major thing people are getting confused and stuck on, as I read this thread. YHWH in Judaism is loving terrifying and will smite your entire lineage and crush entire cities if you don't honor him, and the non-chosen people are straight hosed. Jehovah in Christianity holds the sins of Adam and Eve against you such that you're born a sinner and have to struggle to be good because he will punish the gently caress out of you for eternity if you aren't. Islam, by comparison, basically has Buddy God... he'll forgive literally everything (except the one thing) and wants you to succeed... if you overall are a good person, guess what? He'll probably forgive that other poo poo and look the other way, because he knows you aren't perfect (Islam's dichotomy from Christianity on the nature and role of Satan basically demonstrates this) and at the end of the day he just wants you to do your best and will love you even if and when you make mistakes. There's a clear evolution of God over the three religions, it's why Islam is Monotheism 3.0.

He's basically a loving parent, not an omnipotent tyrant that demands absolute adherence to his code or you will be crushed... that's totally not Islam's style, and it's why there's so much Muslim philosophy throughout the ages and it's okay to discuss and examine the religion from an academic standpoint. We're supposed to question, but Faith, by it's very nature, doesn't have verifiable proof, and that's intentional... It wouldn't require faith otherwise. God could show up and do a bunch of awesome poo poo and demand we believe in him, sure... But real life isn't D&D, and therefore we don't fall into the logical trap of D&D where if you know there's literally hundreds of gods, how the hell can you only worship one? Same way if you know there is a God, how could you not worship him? He wants you to go the extra mile and believe, that's literally the ONLY thing you're required to do... The rest is icing.

tl;dr: Islam in a nutshell: believe in God, because he believes in you. :thumbsup:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Fizzil posted:

I dont think anyone in this thread said this.

Only Allah can say that. We cannot judge what sins Allah will forgive, except committing shirk (associating partners with God).

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 4, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
When you die and get to bone your 72 virgins, is that considered consensual sex by social justice standards? Like, are the virgins allowed to say no? Also, where do they get 72 women for each man? Also, what do women get, because I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of virgins, na'mean?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cingulate posted:

Why does God dislike extramartial sex?

Because God is a huge fan of soldier-on-soldier pornography.

(sorry)

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Maoist Pussy posted:

When you die and get to bone your 72 virgins, is that considered consensual sex by social justice standards? Like, are the virgins allowed to say no? Also, where do they get 72 women for each man? Also, what do women get, because I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of virgins, na'mean?

You get a sandbox, and everything you desire automagically materializes before you.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Maoist Pussy posted:

Well, to do your mind in more, the virgins are not from the "offpring of Adam".

Think of the implications of that for a moment.

I think the point of telling men that they will get this as a reward is to motivate them with such an earthly idea of a "level" of reward they will get equated with that which is indescribable to us in Jennah. Women get equal reward to men.

"Never will I allow to be lost the work of [any] worker among you, whether male or female; you are of one another." Qur'an 3:195

"And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, while being a believer - those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged, [even as much as] the speck on a date seed." Qur'an 4:124

"Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do." Qur'an 16:97

"They will have whatever they desire with their Lord. That is the reward of the doers of good -" Qur'an 39:34

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I guess it makes it easier to be really weird about sex when you're imagining just a crazy, non-stop sex party in the afterlife.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

I guess it makes it easier to be really weird about sex when you're imagining just a crazy, non-stop sex party in the afterlife.

If you take it literally. How much of end times or heavenly reward in the Bible to we take literally? Not much. I think this may not be intended to be literal. If it is, then earthly women get companions too because that is what countless other verses state, that they get equal reward.

Im still hung up on the idea that they are not from the offspring of Adam.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Well, on a lark I thought I'd look into the whole 72 virgins thing, and it seems like there are passages in the qur'an which make explicit mention to there being houri given to the faithful after death. That is, "companions" which are "full-breasted" and have "modest gazes" and such. Although the number is up for debate, it seems like it's more than one, too. Which is pretty hot. If there are other rewards explicitly mentioned I'd like to hear of them, though.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Well, on a lark I thought I'd look into the whole 72 virgins thing, and it seems like there are passages in the qur'an which make explicit mention to there being houri given to the faithful after death. That is, "companions" which are "full-breasted" and have "modest gazes" and such. Although the number is up for debate, it seems like it's more than one, too. Which is pretty hot. If there are other rewards explicitly mentioned I'd like to hear of them, though.

The Qur'an deals with things in the time of the Prophet situationally. This is why some issues (such as this) are addressed and some not talked about (or, as an example, while alcohol seems to be allowed except during prayer in one verse and in another revealed later Allah outlaws it altogether). However we can take from other verses of the Quran that women and men are equal in the sight of Allah in this life and regarding rewards in the hereafter. The promise of "houri" is made to men who were in the Prophet's army preparing for battle. Should they die will they be rewarded in Jennah? Allah answered that question with this verse. Women typically did not go to battle. This is the reason why I say this verse was a "motivator" for men and probably more figurative than literal.

In the science of tafseer (commentary) of Qur'an, scholarly ijtihad (judgment of opinion) assumes in our first conclusion is that the verses are literal unless the Qur'an gives us a reason to think otherwise. Since men and women share equally in rewards in Jennah (hereafter) according to Qur'an, these verses must be interpreted with that in mind.

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boy slaves ..?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Is it really all that surprising that sex is used as a way to talk about Paradise, considering that sex is universal to the human experience and (generally speaking) feels really good? I've never quite understood the hang-up on those descriptions, to me it comes off as more a way of saying "Seriously guys, you have no idea how good this is gonna be, here's an attempt at describing it" than anything literal. I mean, of all the things to be all "gasp, look at those Muslims" about, that is... probably not high up on the list, I'd think.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tendai posted:

Is it really all that surprising that sex is used as a way to talk about Paradise, considering that sex is universal to the human experience and (generally speaking) feels really good? I've never quite understood the hang-up on those descriptions, to me it comes off as more a way of saying "Seriously guys, you have no idea how good this is gonna be, here's an attempt at describing it" than anything literal. I mean, of all the things to be all "gasp, look at those Muslims" about, that is... probably not high up on the list, I'd think.

I think the hangup is more about the fact that you get a bunch of sex slaves in paradise. The idea of sex slaves is absolutely revolting to most modern people.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

I think the hangup is more about the fact that you get a bunch of sex slaves in paradise. The idea of sex slaves is absolutely revolting to most modern people.
It's a fundamentally transactional view of sex: you are rewarded with sex for doing the right thing. Sex not as a mutual joint consensual interaction with a partner, but as a service provided to you like getting a massage, or, worse, a body handed to you like something you eat.

Contrast with "in paradise, you'll have robots who give you foot massages, the steaks will always be perfectly medium-rare (YMMV), and when you and your partner(s) which to engage in a sex, nobody will bother you and nobody will have erectile dysfunction and no queefing is guaranteed to happen (unless you like it, again YMMV) and the lube will not stain the sheats and everyone will orgasm simultaneously (unless you happen to be into some freaky poo poo where you don't get to orgasm or whatever - again, whatever floats your boat). Also, speaking of which, all of this will happen on a boat.".

Not to speak of the heteronormative and male-biased aspect.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

Yes, it is. But like I said, the view of it as being literal rather than an attempt to describe "a thing that is gonna be really awesome" in a frame of reference that people of the time (and any time, if we're just looking at the sex aspect) would understand, doesn't make much sense to me.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
literal interpretation of biblical rewards: they call it the land of milk and honey but i'm lactose intolerant. should i worship the devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tendai posted:

Yes, it is. But like I said, the view of it as being literal rather than an attempt to describe "a thing that is gonna be really awesome" in a frame of reference that people of the time (and any time, if we're just looking at the sex aspect) would understand, doesn't make much sense to me.
Wrt. people in other times, I don't find the idea of sex slaves attracting. I would not want to go to a place where I have sex slaves, and everyone around me has sex slaves, and everyone else who is there has a good chance of 1. being really into having sex slaves, 2. having come here for the sex slaves.

Also, I'm really with you in that trying to go for the "literal" meaning of old-rear end texts is naive - but isn't that a particular hard topic in Islam, given that AFAIK mainstream doctrine is still that the Quran is not only directly created by God, but rather not created at all, but has, in the current form it is in, always existed with God?

• Locked thread