Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Considering Bosch is the primary injection pump provider for multiple heavy and medium duty diesels, what the hell is happened to these designs that is causing such premature failure?

The design went to a review board of accountants and actuarians who worked out that statistically very few people used all of the available engine power more than momentarily and that they could thus reduce costs by halving the feeder pump capacity.

Unrelated, one of my colleagues bought a secondhand Mercedes Sprinter in which one of the injectors had cracked or split in some manner which allowed combustion gasses to bleed up into the injector valley; we didn't do any remediation work, and he simply drove it hauling motorcycles until it died. I can't find the photo that we took at the time, but here's one that I GIS'd up which is miles worse:

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IPCRESS posted:

The design went to a review board of accountants and actuarians who worked out that statistically very few people used all of the available engine power more than momentarily and that they could thus reduce costs by halving the feeder pump capacity.

Its just sad, because Bosch makes some genuinely good Injection Pumps, but then Common Rail comes out and they go to hell in a handbasket

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking further into it, it's the same fuel pump in diesel tuaregs and early ford 6.7s.

with the same results.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Not sure if it's the same pump on the TDI Golfs but they have a bit of a reputation for it as well. At least part of the problem in the US is the extremely poor quality diesel fuel you can potentially end up getting, mostly the very low lubricity, compared to superior German diesel. Biodiesel has a very high lubricity, but VW says that's a no no, or at least they did. That still doesn't excuse the problem, particularly if it's this widespread, and there's no excuse for replacing the lovely pump with another identical lovely pump. Glad I got rid of mine and said gently caress VAG forever.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

CommieGIR posted:

Considering Bosch is the primary injection pump provider for multiple heavy and medium duty diesels, what the hell is happened to these designs that is causing such premature failure?

Probably the fact that their clients try to squeeze every cent they can from them, forcing them to build their products as cheap as possible.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Powershift posted:

You're not going to believe this, but an underbuilt bosch fuel pump has tanked yet another dodge diesel.

This time it's the 3.0 ecodiesel. Basically above about 26k psi/3500rpm, the HPFP will start eating itself leading to 3 different failure modes. The cheapest of which the pump just chews itself up sending little bits of metal throughout the the fuel system. $11k for pump, injectors, lines, all that fun stuff.

Alternatively, the fuel pump can seize, and it's gear driven off the left bank exhaust cam. and that gear is just pressed on. if the gear holds, it can stop the cam and mash exhaust valves into pistons. if the gear breaks loose it just makes the oil a little sparkly.

like the VP44 in the 24 valve 5.9s, it seems to be a "when" not "if" situation as well, especially in colder climates. And much like the VP44, the dodge solution is to replace it with the same faulty parts to get the truck to live long enough to get out of warranty.

Even better, it looks like the 5.0 cummins uses that same hpfp, only it's driven off the timing chain instead of the cam. It might work there, because the 5.0 is governed to 3400rpm, unlike the 3.0 which is goverened to 4,800rpm.

What fuel pump is this? It sounds like the standard CP4 failure. And let's be fair, Bosch has hosed Ford, GM and VW with those. I really wish there was an alternate supplier.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Image wasn't showing up due to missing extension. People need to see this :stare:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Powershift posted:

Looking further into it, it's the same fuel pump in diesel tuaregs and early ford 6.7s.

with the same results.

Different pump (also Bosch IIRC) similar issue with all the recent duratec (e: duratorq?) fours in their cars. So that's most of their European sales right there. My wife's S-Max's fuel pump went about 4 years and 35k into the car's life, before we bought it. The £800+ the last owner paid as a result is one reason I stick to N/A petrol cars.

Saga fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 3, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saga posted:

The £800+ the last owner paid as a result is one reason I stick to N/A petrol cars.

That isn't necessarily going to help - direct injection is common there as well these days.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dissss posted:

That isn't necessarily going to help - direct injection is common there as well these days.

I should have said, old petrol shitters like my E46 :)

I probably have another decade or so before I'll be stuck buying something with a high pressure fuel system.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

dissss posted:

Yeah but petrol DI tends to use electric HPFPs.

At least when those fail *cough BMW cough* you don't have to disassemble half the motor to swap 'em out

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

literally a fish posted:

Yeah but petrol DI tends to use electric HPFPs.

At least when those fail *cough BMW cough* you don't have to disassemble half the motor to swap 'em out

Which ones? All the ones I've worked on firsthand have mechanical (usually cam driven) HPFPs (GM, Kia/Hyundai, VW). They all still have an electric LPFP in the tank though but I haven't even heard of an electric HPFP on a DI vehicle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FuzzKill posted:

Which ones? All the ones I've worked on firsthand have mechanical (usually cam driven) HPFPs (GM, Kia/Hyundai, VW). They all still have an electric LPFP in the tank though but I haven't even heard of an electric HPFP on a DI vehicle

Same, I've never seen an electric high pressure pump but I've also never taken apart a DI BMW.

Also, CRDI pumps aren't a oval office to swap out if the designer isn't an idiot (so forget any VAG engines right there). The good ones are just on the back of the head and cam driven and don't use retarded legacy designs that stick them in the same place as the injector pump on an older engine with the same block/timing layout.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slavvy posted:

Same, I've never seen an electric high pressure pump but I've also never taken apart a DI BMW.

the HPFP in the N54/N55 is chain-driven, on the same chain as the oil pump, and is actually driven from the back of the vacuum pump, both of which are front and center in this picture:

Once the fasteners holding the pump are removed and the fuel lines taken off, the thing just slides in and out of the back of the vacuum pump.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
H-uh. I thought it was electric. That makes more sense, though - I stand corrected.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

the HPFP in the N54/N55 is chain-driven, on the same chain as the oil pump, and is actually driven from the back of the vacuum pump, both of which are front and center in this picture:

Once the fasteners holding the pump are removed and the fuel lines taken off, the thing just slides in and out of the back of the vacuum pump.

That's a really nice setup TBH.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Why does a stock, modern car need a vacuum pump?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-guides-and-how-to-s/4638-bmw-valvetronic.html

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It might do some of the throttle control with valve timing instead of the actual throttle plate and therefore not have much manifold vacuum. Or maybe so they can use the same brake booster setup on all the cars including diesel. Plus pulling vacuum on the crankcase reduces blowby and increases power.

e- hey there you go.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

jamal posted:

It might do some of the throttle control with valve timing instead of the actual throttle plate and therefore not have much manifold vacuum. Or maybe so they can use the same brake booster setup on all the cars including diesel. Plus pulling vacuum on the crankcase reduces blowby and increases power.

e- hey there you go.

Also because turbocharged, so it doesn't generate a lot of manifold vacuum at the best of times. My 2004 turbo'd Volvo has an electric vacuum pump for the brake booster, you can manually flip it on with the diag software. Pretty neat.

But yeah, Valvetronic = no intake manifold vacuum.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Hybrids also have no manifold vacuum and have electric vacuum pumps. It sounds like a cow actually. Especially audible on the Prius C. Pump the pedal more and you make the cow moo some more.

Also the master cylinder on a Toyota hybrid is ridiculously expensive. It's gotta sense and simulate a regular brake pedal when the car is actually regen braking.

This is on a Gen 3 prius. It's got the ABS module built into it. How much? Try $1600-$2000 for an OEM one!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

0toShifty posted:

Hybrids also have no manifold vacuum and have electric vacuum pumps. It sounds like a cow actually. Especially audible on the Prius C. Pump the pedal more and you make the cow moo some more.

Also the master cylinder on a Toyota hybrid is ridiculously expensive. It's gotta sense and simulate a regular brake pedal when the car is actually regen braking.

This is on a Gen 3 prius. It's got the ABS module built into it. How much? Try $1600-$2000 for an OEM one!

My Mini cooper makes the moo sound too, since it has the N16 which has valvetronic. It's kinda funny that when you unlock the car if it's been sitting a few hours, you'll hear it make a little whirring noise towards the back of the car. I guess the engine bay has such limited space they had to put the pump somewhere else. I must say the car in 'sport' mode has a stupidly responsive throttle. I really like it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

0toShifty posted:

Toyota have a thing for that- The master cylinder on my 100 series landcruiser is of similar insanity- No vacuum booster, but its got a 700psi nitrogen accumulator and pump to replace it, and its got the ABS module integrated into it.

And about a billion little O-rings that all HATE any brake fluid than Dot 3 - so if some moron runs dot 4 through it and swells the seals, guess what, your up for a new master cylinder.

Which are $3800 for an OEM, and after market ones dont exist. And the wreckers are aware of what the dealer charges, so $2500 will get you a 2nd hand one that MIGHT not have had Dot 4 in it?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

BloodBag posted:

My Mini cooper makes the moo sound too, since it has the N16 which has valvetronic. It's kinda funny that when you unlock the car if it's been sitting a few hours, you'll hear it make a little whirring noise towards the back of the car. I guess the engine bay has such limited space they had to put the pump somewhere else. I must say the car in 'sport' mode has a stupidly responsive throttle. I really like it.

That's most likely the fuel pump priming the system.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

After a little research, you are correct, it's the fuel system pressurizing.

All this chat of modules integrated into other modules got me thinking about the SZL (steering angle sensor) on my mini. After it was curbed so badly it bent the subframe, fcab, and lower control arm. All that stuff got replaced but then the SZL failed for some reason. It's a little optical decoder ring that sits on the steering shaft behind the wheel. For packaging reasons, BMW saw fit to integrate the control stalks into it as well. That means that the SZL failing means disassembling the steering column and replacing the whole module and re-coding it to the car for a whopping $1100.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 4, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Yeah, Prius does that too. Not a moo, it sounds more like grinding gears. First few times my wife heard it she was convinced something was broken.

The climate system spinning up on a cold start sounds pretty bad too.

Edit- the Prius whirr is actually the brakes priming, had to look it up. :downs:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 4, 2016

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

All of this whirring and mooing and l'il pumps to get things working...it's why, when I finally have to buy a DD, it's not going to be newer than 1984, and probably no older than 1974. :corsair:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Malaise era cars don't need electric vacuum pumps because they already suck.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How many systems other than ignition and the brake booster are tied to vacuum on modern cars anyways? It almost seems less complicated to redesign the brake booster and retain manifold vacuum for any system tied to the engine on hybrids.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

joat mon posted:

Malaise era cars don't need electric vacuum pumps because they already suck.

Good point. People bought Japanese around that time for drat good reasons.
If you think about how much it was a big deal to the consumer, then you'd realise how bad things were from the big three in order for them to make that huge leap and buy Japanese. poo poo sucked real real bad.
E: In Australia they never really recovered, (as we don't get the cool cars or trucks the US market has and only so many people want utes, station wagons or panel vans), and ou aussie made "big three" cars weren't even as bad as the cars the US big three tried to sell, the aussie ones were way better in fact but still suffered the US stigma.
e2: Of course earlier cars were loving awesome.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

General_Failure posted:

???

My Partner's XJ has a spring tensioner.

I can't even imagine the level of masochism that must be needed to do body mods on a Niva.

Oh right, I always forget RHD because I have literally never worked on one. Sorry, what I said only applies to LHD and I haven't a clue how the RHD XJs did their serp belt stuff.

rndmnmbr posted:

IIRC the "cloth" was asbestos, so I hope that squirrel enjoyed it's mesothelioma.
Probably depends, but I don't believe I've ever seen asbestos-cloth insulation in a house*, it's usually rubber impregnated cotton over rubber.

* excepting some very specific applications where it was necessary, such as wiring to resistive heater elements in ovens, toasters, etc. Asbestos is actually still legal to use in the US in a handful of niche, special-purpose applications, but the industries involved do their damndest to avoid using it because "company X is still selling asbestos-tainted products for the hell of it!" is really awful publicity.

BloodBag posted:

After a little research, you are correct, it's the fuel system pressurizing.

All this chat of modules integrated into other modules got me thinking about the SZL (steering angle sensor) on my mini. After it was curbed so badly it bent the subframe, fcab, and lower control arm. All that stuff got replaced but then the SZL failed for some reason. It's a little optical decoder ring that sits on the steering shaft behind the wheel. For packaging reasons, BMW saw fit to integrate the control stalks into it as well. That means that the SZL failing means disassembling the steering column and replacing the whole module and re-coding it to the car for a whopping $1100.

That's a pretty common place to put the steering angle sensor, but most makes do it more intelligently than that. For instance many Hondas (example: 2012 Accord Coupe) use the 35251-TA0-B11 steering angle sensor + housing. There are a handful of versions of the MFS (multifunction stalk) that have fogs and auto lights as options that plug right in, for any vehicle from the Fit to the Civic to the Accord to the Element (iirc.) Same for the wiper stalk, there's one with intermittent wiper, one without, one with rear wiper, one with rear wiper and washer, etc... for a half dozen different vehicles. And they all have the same wiring harness connector and plug right in, so theoretically you could junkyard modules from a higher spec vehicle and plug them into your base spec and suddenly have all those features, if the harness implements the extra wiring on model. And the electrical stuff isn't all networked and coded to the vehicle, for example the steering angle sensor is a 5 pin connector, takes 5V and ground and gives you open-collector outputs for the index pulse (every rotation of the wheel there's a pulse when the wheel is upright) and the A/B quadrature encoder pulses.

All a little fuzzy to me now, since it's been months since I worked on it, but I reverse engineered that all for a project at work. It's a very simple intuitive system and I intend to use them in my own projects as well if possible.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

Oh right, I always forget RHD because I have literally never worked on one. Sorry, what I said only applies to LHD and I haven't a clue how the RHD XJs did their serp belt stuff.

Probably depends, but I don't believe I've ever seen asbestos-cloth insulation in a house*, it's usually rubber impregnated cotton over rubber.

* excepting some very specific applications where it was necessary, such as wiring to resistive heater elements in ovens, toasters, etc. Asbestos is actually still legal to use in the US in a handful of niche, special-purpose applications, but the industries involved do their damndest to avoid using it because "company X is still selling asbestos-tainted products for the hell of it!" is really awful publicity.

That's a pretty common place to put the steering angle sensor, but most makes do it more intelligently than that. For instance many Hondas (example: 2012 Accord Coupe) use the 35251-TA0-B11 steering angle sensor + housing. There are a handful of versions of the MFS (multifunction stalk) that have fogs and auto lights as options that plug right in, for any vehicle from the Fit to the Civic to the Accord to the Element (iirc.) Same for the wiper stalk, there's one with intermittent wiper, one without, one with rear wiper, one with rear wiper and washer, etc... for a half dozen different vehicles. And they all have the same wiring harness connector and plug right in, so theoretically you could junkyard modules from a higher spec vehicle and plug them into your base spec and suddenly have all those features, if the harness implements the extra wiring on model. And the electrical stuff isn't all networked and coded to the vehicle, for example the steering angle sensor is a 5 pin connector, takes 5V and ground and gives you open-collector outputs for the index pulse (every rotation of the wheel there's a pulse when the wheel is upright) and the A/B quadrature encoder pulses.

All a little fuzzy to me now, since it's been months since I worked on it, but I reverse engineered that all for a project at work. It's a very simple intuitive system and I intend to use them in my own projects as well if possible.

Yeah, but this is german poo poo, why do it simple when complicated will do?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So I'm not 100% sure on this, but this BMW 750i X-Drive was in for an oil change (needed 9.5 quarts but that's besides the point) and we noticed there are coolant hoses going into the engine computers - of which there are two. This is a 4.4 Liter Twin Power engine. Is it controlled by two ECUs like the old school V12s? Also it has the turbos in the valley like a powerstroke.

And in other BMW news - the worst exhaust I've ever seen. It's actually welded - well boogered, sorta. That thing before the fart can is a catalytic converter.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if those ECMs are on a seperate cooling system from the engine coolant. I can't imagine any electronics liking being at 200°+ for more than a couple seconds before electron migration starts up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably. I know the Prius BLDC controller runs on its own coolant system that's separate from the engine.

I also know exactly how 100 degree toyota red coolant feels and tastes when poured over oneself by holding a Prius controller over your head on a hot summer day. What was intended as a junkyard victory celebration quickly turned into an unexpectedly sweet, sickeningly flavored shower.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
F-150 takes two rounds of armor-piercing .50BMG to the block and keeps running (albeit barely).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd-hMXeMoA

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

0toShifty posted:

Hybrids also have no manifold vacuum and have electric vacuum pumps.

But where would you need to use vacuum on a modern car? Can all of the functions that I'm thinking of (brake booster, charcoal canister, FPR) be accomplished using other methods? Is it all down to cost savings from using existing vacuum based equipment?

I know about the benefits from pulling vacuum from the crank case, but do many stock, not-high-performance cars do this?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A lot of HVAC systems are still run by vacuum too. Less these days with computerized consoles, but it's still out there.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

That's good to know, considering how much of the stuff I've reused doing mindbogglingly stupid things, like rigging up a 100' 240v extension cord to run a welder in a detached garage. But hey, I only had a Lincoln buzzbox, and the closest 240v outlet was in the utility room in the house, and it worked.

Anyways, I probably got mesothelioma anyways from ripping all the asbestos siding off of said garage and tossing it in a pit I dug in the backyard, because proper abatement is expensive. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

F-150 takes two rounds of armor-piercing .50BMG to the block and keeps running (albeit barely).
In the followup video he puts a 75mm AT round through it. :black101: