Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man the actual coop aspect of XCX is laughably bad. I wonder why they didn't just straight copy monster hunter?

I like the passive aspects at least. Probably should have just stopped there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

lets hang out posted:

tits never stops having a ton of dialog so if thats not your thing you should probably pass on it

ImpAtom posted:

Do you like South Park? That's basically the big deciding factor there. TitS is sort of better on its own merits but SP is the best SP game you can imagine.

I stopped watching South Park like 10 years ago, but I remember enjoying the movie a lot back in the day. The trailer was pretty funny so I'm guessing I will enjoy it as long as the gameplay doesn't overstay its welcome. I AM kind of hankering for an old-school RPG but not every piece of dialogue needs to be of Metal Gear length. It's not that I thought the dialogue in TitS was bad, just why does this random NPC need +10 pages of dialogue? Why?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I stopped watching South Park like 10 years ago, but I remember enjoying the movie a lot back in the day. The trailer was pretty funny so I'm guessing I will enjoy it as long as the gameplay doesn't overstay its welcome. I AM kind of hankering for an old-school RPG but not every piece of dialogue needs to be of Metal Gear length. It's not that I thought the dialogue in TitS was bad, just why does this random NPC need +10 pages of dialogue? Why?

South Park is more or less the same as 10 years ago. I am in the same situation and there were like two jokes I didn't recognize.

The Trails games are heavily about world building and characterization more than plot. Most of the game is there as an excuse to do world-building or character development rather than to advance a core plot. It's very much a game where the idea of wandering around and exploring a world is a bigger selling point. I will say that if you just want an RPG, the Trails of Cold Steel is a better game. (Though still very heavy on being about worldbuilding.) Cold Steel is very much a post-Persona game though, not very old school.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Renoistic posted:

It's not that I thought the dialogue in TitS was bad, just why does this random NPC need +10 pages of dialogue? Why?
If your reaction is this rather than "holy poo poo every NPC has something new to say after every plot event, this owns" the Trails series is probably not going to be a fun experience for you overall

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

South Park is more or less the same as 10 years ago. I am in the same situation and there were like two jokes I didn't recognize.

The Trails games are heavily about world building and characterization more than plot. Most of the game is there as an excuse to do world-building or character development rather than to advance a core plot. It's very much a game where the idea of wandering around and exploring a world is a bigger selling point. I will say that if you just want an RPG, the Trails of Cold Steel is a better game. (Though still very heavy on being about worldbuilding.) Cold Steel is very much a post-Persona game though, not very old school.

Thanks. I'll look up some videos. I don't really have a problem with RPGs with little focus on plot - I've been playing through the Atalier Dusk games and they barely even HAVE a plot and instead are all about the characters. The difference is that after the intro most talkie scenes are short and to the point, at least compared to what I saw of TitS. TitS also made me roll my eyes the moment they introduced the main characters and it was obvious that they are going to go for the "oh they are not actually related so they will fall in love" thing which I'm not a fan off. On the other hand, I guess it's kind of silly to react to that when I'm interested in playing a South Park game. Maybe I'll give it another chance and just buy both games since they're cheap right now. Perhaps the translation of the PC-version is more entertaining?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

Man the actual coop aspect of XCX is laughably bad. I wonder why they didn't just straight copy monster hunter?

I think they should've gone pseudo-mmo and done a Dark Souls-esque thing of being able to occasionally run into another player with [ELMA-ESQUE GENERIC BLADE] and the like for their own party (from your perspective). Co-operate or kill eachother, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the translation of the pc version is 99.9% the same

it just sounds like trails isn't for you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rascyc posted:

I did a mission that said I was synced to level 60 to fight some superboss.

But my giant robot was not synced so it promptly exploded. Then we lost later for reasons I didn't understand but I got a bunch of loot from it? At least this didn't consume any robot insurance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

I did a mission that said I was synced to level 60 to fight some superboss.

But my giant robot was not synced so it promptly exploded. Then we lost later for reasons I didn't understand but I got a bunch of loot from it? At least this didn't consume any robot insurance.

Skell Frames are set levels, like gear. They don't scale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Skell Frames are set levels, like gear. They don't scale.
I gathered that. I survived much longer than my giant robot did on foot.

I also have no idea what to do with the body parts as they seem important and don't sell for much more than random poo poo I find in the world right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

I gathered that. I survived much longer than my giant robot did on foot.

I also have no idea what to do with the body parts as they seem important and don't sell for much more than random poo poo I find in the world right now.

Keep it all, don't sell a thing. They're useful for crafting endgame supergear or augments.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Keep it all, don't sell a thing. They're useful for crafting endgame supergear or augments.
I figured, I just have no idea how to even tell what supergear it's for.

I should probably look at the "develop gear" section again now that I'm not like level 5 now that I think about it.

... Say, do you have any suggestions for how to make large piles of money to afford both getting a giant robot that isn't outclassed by my on-foot party members AND actually filling its gear slots when I hit level 30 soon? Or worse, doing this for more than one party member?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zereth posted:

... Say, do you have any suggestions for how to make large piles of money to afford both getting a giant robot that isn't outclassed by my on-foot party members AND actually filling its gear slots when I hit level 30 soon? Or worse, doing this for more than one party member?

When you're setting probes, look out for ones that mention scenic spots. These are 'hidden' or important areas whose name shows up in orange on the map when you discover them - each one drastically increases the output if you put a research probe in that spot. Combine with some combos and some booster probes and it's surprisingly easy to start getting 100k money per tick.

After that just go beat poo poo up or hoover up quests, and while you're going around you'll tick up plenty of money.

My experience with XCX's cooperative stuff tends to be prett-- DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER --and I don't know why it's so-- DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER --when everything else-- DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER --fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That sounds like it'd need more research probes than I have, I don't think I have enough of any type to even make a combo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Rune Factory 4 is quickly becoming my old game of the year as I eat my way to massive stats and never gain a pound. Fat Princess my rear end!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can anyone think of any big roadblock bosses in JRPGs? So far I've come up with Gattuso in Tales of Vesperia, Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics and Grilgan from Lost Odyssey.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Can anyone think of any big roadblock bosses in JRPGs? So far I've come up with Gattuso in Tales of Vesperia, Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics and Grilgan from Lost Odyssey.

The Fallen in Last Remnant. Matador in Nocturne

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

RareAcumen posted:

Demon Wall in FFVII, Yunalesca in FFX, Lenus in Legend of Dragoon, Berserker and Xain in Legend of Legaia and the final bosses of Ys I and Vagrant Story at least.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The last guy in Phantasy Star IV was a crazy difficulty spike from what came before.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Demon Wall in FFVII, Yunalesca in FFX, Lenus in Legend of Dragoon, Berserker and Xain in Legend of Legaia and the final bosses of Ys I and Vagrant Story at least.

Lloyd in his divine dragoon form is a real ball buster as well though a bit more manageable. God help you if you have Kongol and his lovely magic def in your party though.

Bowyer from Super Mario RPG also hosed me up a more then once with some well timed action lockouts, I hated that fight when I was a kid.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a trick to finding a lot of research probes in Xenoblade X by the way? I've found like two or three dozen mining probes but a grand total of I think three research probes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Kanfy posted:

Demon Wall in FFVII.
Also Demon Wall in FFIV. If your damage output isn't up to it you're going to get screwed. They probably made the mandatory Demon Wall in FFXII really easy (as opposed to the hard one you can run from) because of player trauma from the last couple times. And then the hard version banishes party members instead of just killing them.

FFIV had a number of arguable roadblock bosses depending on how well-leveled you were and whether you searched around for gear, like Baigan, the Magus Sisters, and the Four Fiends refight. Well-prepared or leveled up a little you might blow through them, but otherwise you were stuck keeping up with their gimmicks while you chipped away at them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kild posted:

The Fallen in Last Remnant.

Gates of Hell and Snievan could quickly halt progress, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Xigbar from Kingdom Hearts 2. The timing on blocking his shots is super strict and his attacks barely have any tells, plus he's teleporting all over the place so half the time he's shooting at you from off-camera.

Not to mention he's in mid-air so much it's hard to land a clean hit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gates of Hell and Snievan could quickly halt progress, too.

Milton too. He goes 5 loving times and has insta kill and auto retaliate.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Kanfy posted:

Yunalesca in FFX

Seymour Flux as well.

I think the Google Results for him are telling.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Matador.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kild posted:

Matador in Nocturne
Mot can be one, too, if he feels like it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man the translation in Summon Night 5 really is all over the place. It's perfectly functional for a few scenes and then BAM it throws something in that just makes me wonder who they had working on it. Adzuki? What the hell is adzuki? You mean sweet bean paste/red bean paste? Or azuki? Who the hell calls it 'adzuki'. That's some archaic romanization that is.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've played the South Park RPG for about an hour now and have been enjoying it more than Witcher 3. I'm guessing the music and the make choir sound effects are parodying Skyrim but they work just as well as Witcher parodies, and that makes it twice as funny. I loved Witcher 1 and 2 but I just couldn't get into 3, and it was the disappointment of the year to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I loved Witcher 1 and 2 but I just couldn't get into 3
maybe you just dont like things that are competent

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

maybe you just dont like things that are competent

Aggressively bland combat smeared over 150 hours of game time isn't exactly how I'd describe 'competent'

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

yikes

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The combat and leveling in Witcher 3 is not very good, so I guess it turns into a Planescape: Torment sort of thing where your tolerance for those inadequacies has to stand up against the strength of the writing and how much you're enjoying that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think anyone praises witcher 3 for the combat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Aggressively bland combat smeared over 150 hours of game time isn't exactly how I'd describe 'competent'
yeah, but enough about south park *boom shakalaka*

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is this, GOTY talk? Both are good games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I actually feel The Witcher 3 is a far better game than the first two. The first game had severe pacing problems and quest bloat that requires you to go back and forth between areas constantly while the second game had an interesting concept in making the entire second half of the game different depending on your choices but was ruined by the completely floaty combat.

The combat in The Witcher 3 wasn't amazing or anything but at least it resembled something I'd call competent, the pacing was completely up to the player, the quests were varied and sometimes interesting and it had great music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first game was the man with the world's worst voice acting running around in a swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Man the translation in Summon Night 5 really is all over the place. It's perfectly functional for a few scenes and then BAM it throws something in that just makes me wonder who they had working on it. Adzuki? What the hell is adzuki? You mean sweet bean paste/red bean paste? Or azuki? Who the hell calls it 'adzuki'. That's some archaic romanization that is.

Welcome to the 90s, enjoy your working designs.