Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd say just build it for ranged since that's the damage type it's overdrive favors, but it's a pretty versatile skell. I'm not sure why yours is getting wrecked though, it's the tankier of the two mediums.

Me either! When I used it it was fine, but once I handed it down to the fourth party member they wreck it in a hurry, even faster than Elma wrecks her Verus! And Lin with the other medium skell has great survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Man some cool poo poo happened in chapter 5, the music in the new area is pretty good too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just found out Skells have some Donkey Kong like jump mechanic. If you are falling while in vehicle mode you can jump out of it. It gives you a bit of distance but it's not enough to get to that probe spot on the little island in Northern Primordia without the flight pack. :(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Depths posted:

Man some cool poo poo happened in chapter 5, the music in the new area is pretty good too.

I mean, it's no WHOOOOOOAAAOAOAOAOAAAAAAAAAA I SEE THE SUUUUUUUUN

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just found out Skells have some Donkey Kong like jump mechanic. If you are falling while in vehicle mode you can jump out of it. It gives you a bit of distance but it's not enough to get to that probe spot on the little island in Northern Primordia without the flight pack. :(

I think you need Mechanical Lvl 5 for that one anyway.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Phantasm posted:

You could always try the one on the little island in the chasm of Oblivia. You can make it with a perfect donkey kong

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PRADA SLUT posted:

You could always try the one on the little island in the chasm of Oblivia. You can make it with a perfect donkey kong

I just did and it requires Lvl 5.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you need Mechanical Lvl 5 for that one anyway.

Why does this keep getting in my way :mad:

At least I managed to get into Stonelattice Cavern this way, all I could do was get the alien treasure spot, but I made it in.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

screw you lin, you sleep in the fridge and my friend tatsu can have your room

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The vaguely dungeon crawly bit in chapter 11 is fun and a good reminder of the ground combat system's strengths. I'd happily play a game of that.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Calaveron posted:

Me either! When I used it it was fine, but once I handed it down to the fourth party member they wreck it in a hurry, even faster than Elma wrecks her Verus! And Lin with the other medium skell has great survivability.

Light skells are pretty garbage unless you are stacking evasion on them, just splurge and buy some Heavy Mastemas and Amdusias.
I've no idea why medium skells even exist since they aren't particularly great at anything in comparison to their light (evasion) and heavy (everything else) cousins.

I guess they have 6k max GP instead of the standard 3k but I never had any luck with mediums.

Keep in mind once you hit level 60 and already have armor/weapons/L50 skells purchased you pretty much run out of uses for money.
It stops being a thing once you have to build lv 60 crap from monster parts and miranium. Reward tickets become the coin of the realm.

So yaknow, spend them monies with wild abandon because their usefulness bottoms right the gently caress out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I have a Lailah with set of Potential V augs and one Arts Gp gain that routinely stays in Overdrive for upwards of two minutes, and can reactivate as soon as it fails. That's why mediums exist.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

chumbler posted:

The vaguely dungeon crawly bit in chapter 11 is fun and a good reminder of the ground combat system's strengths. I'd happily play a game of that.

It was strange to see them try to make a actual level after forsaking it all this time.

It also made me miss XBC more and going back to it I think 1 is a way better game. I forgot how fun chain attacks are and it's nice having the characters constantly hype each other up.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Millesaurs are terrifying when you start blowing off appendages.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The last mission in the definian series is a real motherfucker, which is amusing given that the lead in to it is Professor B screwing around with a goofy computer.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chapter 12: the story sucks

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
wtf is this music choice lol

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Guys let's make sure we really blast this music louder than the dialogue. Also put lyrics in there in case someone is not using subtitles, we really don't want them to hear anything anyone is saying.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
How exactly do the social trade requests work? I keep seeing them pop up at the top left of the screen and if I press Select it accepts the deal without me seeing what's actually up for grabs.

Also am I supposed to be taking Tatsuo somewhere or is he just following me around indefinitely.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

m.hache posted:

How exactly do the social trade requests work? I keep seeing them pop up at the top left of the screen and if I press Select it accepts the deal without me seeing what's actually up for grabs.

Also am I supposed to be taking Tatsuo somewhere or is he just following me around indefinitely.
I think treasure deals generally do not work, for that reason. If you want to be infinitely hopeful, you could look up the names of some of the popular super long swords that drop and grab a deal if one of them's offered since they can be useful regardless of traits. But the importance of traits means you are just volunteering for more junk to clean out of your inventory since you have no idea whats on it and its probably not good.

Tatsu follows Lin around. There are some nopon focused quests you need him around to break the ice in dialog occasionally, so in effect its a hidden Lin needed requirement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally finished that quest and let Mumun go free after 90-odd hours of being stuffed into my backpack :unsmith:

Also picked up the Police Skell, so here's what it looks like for the curious;

The blue and red panels are just very shiny rather than having any kind of active illumination. It's also not really all that great, because unlike the Killdozer Excavator it's only a Level 30 Frame.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I haven't tried it yet since I didn't want to gently caress up the skells. Does falling out of bounds do anything bad when in them, or is it a non-issue and punt you back to a landmark like normal and no penalty?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I haven't tried it yet since I didn't want to gently caress up the skells. Does falling out of bounds do anything bad when in them, or is it a non-issue and punt you back to a landmark like normal and no penalty?

It counts as a Skell loss, but you can fast travel during the fall to avoid that.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Sven, the Sturdy is a hardy little dude

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh dear. First the Ma-non got addicted to pizza, now there's a Wrothian warrior enthralled with cake. This can't end well :ohdear:.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh dear. First the Ma-non got addicted to pizza, now there's a Wrothian warrior enthralled with cake. This can't end well :ohdear:.

they're going to start posting on tumblr

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So what are the best skell frames to buy? Almost level 30 and it's hard to tell from the stat sheets what will actually be useful in practice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

So what are the best skell frames to buy? Almost level 30 and it's hard to tell from the stat sheets what will actually be useful in practice.

There's basically no reason other than cost to buy anything other than the heaviest ones.

Edit: I was a bit unclear. Buy heavy, don't bother with anything else unless you like how they look I guess.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 3, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

chumbler posted:

There's basically no reason other than cost to just buy the heaviest ones.

Is the same true of ground armor?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Is the same true of ground armor?

Ground armor is a different case since medium can have its augments upgraded more times than heavy, and light more than medium. There's also the difference in gravity resistance, but that usually doesn't matter too much. Easier to just use whatever drops than trying to pay too much attention to that until max level, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the difference between Sylvalum's rising energy mist and Noctilum's Energy Mist? Does EM increease fuel more than REM? The jerry can has a III on it so I figure, but people always recommend you go to sylv if you want a cheap fuel refill

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to cheese the cave chimera in Noctilum that drops the ether sword?

I've been trying to skell cheese but they won't fit in the little area, and I can't kite him out.

aggro him and then tell your party to return to their skells and the chimera will get stuck in a wall.

or hire 3 ether blossom Scouts and have them destroy the chimera.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Sven, the Sturdy is a hardy little dude

100% resistant to everything! Overdrive bonuses will cut right through that though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm trying to make The White Reaper do that thing where it wrecks the Ultra Fauna

I have two weapon attack XX in the level 60 cannon and one weapon attack XV

I have two PHYS Damage up XX on my skell and one Damage Above XX

I have Four Ultra FaunaXX accross my skell as well as a few Ranged Accuracy XX

and I have 4 Potential Drive in my Pilot's armor

My skell also has that level 60 armor that you're supposed to swipe from the other Heavy 60 mech.

yet a single shot doesn't seem to be able to take off more than 25% of the everqueen's health and I'm dead before I get a cockpit view.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I just got my skell license and I'm bad at this. I understand replenishing fuel at least and having 10 seconds of interruption is super useful but I guess my AI companions are just poo poo at doing damage.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

I just got my skell license and I'm bad at this. I understand replenishing fuel at least and having 10 seconds of interruption is super useful but I guess my AI companions are just poo poo at doing damage.

this will pretty much always be true, but on the bright side once your team gets skells they're pretty good about binding enemies for you

honestly skell combat is just kind of lame

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Looper posted:

once your team gets skells they're pretty good about binding enemies for you

Unfortunately they can't keep it going and it breaks on the first tick. The AI is really bad at skells and for some reason Elma is the worst. She wrecks that thing so often I'm starting to think she's a Ganglion plant.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

Unfortunately they can't keep it going and it breaks on the first tick. The AI is really bad at skells and for some reason Elma is the worst. She wrecks that thing so often I'm starting to think she's a Ganglion plant.

I think it's just random how long they can maintain a bind, or maybe it's tied to potential or something. I've seen them bind tyrants for quite a while.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I'm trying to make The White Reaper do that thing where it wrecks the Ultra Fauna

I have two weapon attack XX in the level 60 cannon and one weapon attack XV

I have two PHYS Damage up XX on my skell and one Damage Above XX

I have Four Ultra FaunaXX accross my skell as well as a few Ranged Accuracy XX

and I have 4 Potential Drive in my Pilot's armor

My skell also has that level 60 armor that you're supposed to swipe from the other Heavy 60 mech.

yet a single shot doesn't seem to be able to take off more than 25% of the everqueen's health and I'm dead before I get a cockpit view.

I'm not sure. Potential drive is not going to do much for you when not in overdrive/cockpit mode, you want ranged dmg drive instead. remove those ranged accuracy and stuff and go for opening dmg instead

Also the guide I saw he had 21 ultrafauna or some poo poo.

I think I'm doing the math wrong or something because max dmg it should be doing is about 3.5m damage, so I think there's something I'm missing about the calculations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Two red star mission A: Go kill a level 47 Tyrant you can one-shot with an Ares90.
Two red star mission B: Go kill a level 96 Tyrant that can one-shot an Ares90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, game, switching from basically the Death Star assault cutscene back to the happy skell flying music isn't really a good transition. I liked some of the side party members showing up in it, though. Does Mia also appear if you've recruited her or is it just fixed?

• Locked thread