Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Bup posted:

The game starts out a little slow. Progression will start to accelerate once you can get characters to tier 3 or so consistently. At that point you should be able to run starter characters with a couple mysterious artifacts into much higher level dungeons and level/gear up very rapidly.

Am I missing something here? Mysterious Artifacts give random items, they're not guaranteed to be for your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
A fun thing to do is pick dungeonmans as your class and build around what your mysterious artifacts come out as.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Another question about the needless busy work in Dungeonmans: is there a button I'm missing to just auto-route back to the Academy? Also, just replace villages with a menu. I'm here to crush monsters and get loot, not walk through town.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Having played a fair amount of dungeonmans now I like it a bit; however, the same death happens to me basically every game. I sleepwalk through killing the popcorn monsters for a while until I stop paying attention then run into a champion and die. It's seriously happened like 10 times now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Big Sean posted:

I've gotten pretty good at RE (although since stopped playing after I unlocked the Halloween treasures, ugh). A few combat tips:

Glass cannons tend to be a bad idea in my experience. You don't pick up that much damage output, and having more hp and defense is what allows you to tank the few more rounds you need to kill a few more enemies and get inbound damage beneath what you can tank / heal a turn

The most important weapons are the emotion books that give +20% to a given emotion. It's not intrinsically obvious, but the +20% applies to the base 25% that you get for heals on friendly abilities. I.e. you get basically double power heals, which is a big upgrade

Defensive items are important as well; I tend to think speech defense is more important (although having 0 armor is bad, so if that is the case deal with that first). Ranged physical damage is pretty rare, and its pretty easy to bottleneck melee physical damage. Also, 2/3 damage types are speech, so just more common generally.

Make sure to bring at least one healer. Hildegard is a great healer as she also heals herself, and the cooldown is reasonably short

AoE disable / debuff abilities are very helpful as well

On the tougher boss fights, particularly the final fight, being able to break up the enemies and quickly eliminate a few while falling back to a choke point is critical. The game is balanced such that getting mobbed is basically a death sentence, but normally you can move towards a more defensible position

I tried a few more games using this advice and have come to the conclusion that the secret to winning is to simply never go on the 4 and 5 star expeditions. Even with the best gear available and a beneficial fight mood I eventually find myself in some area where there are 8 enemies who can only take out 1 of per turn and just get ground down into defeat.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jedit posted:

1) A "Disable Egregiously Retarded poo poo" option. As everyone knows, the mirth level of a joke is derived from the equation Funniness/Repetition - which is why memes aren't funny. This would not be a complicated option to introduce; just take out everything where a grown man talks like a four year old.
Long have I waited for one like you to appear here. You even used one of my favorite troll concepts, "this would not be a complicated option to introduce." Please continue! :allears:

Bug Squash posted:

Another question about the needless busy work in Dungeonmans: is there a button I'm missing to just auto-route back to the Academy? Also, just replace villages with a menu. I'm here to crush monsters and get loot, not walk through town.
Auto-route back to the Academy is a skill you can learn if you put points in Cartography.

On occasion I feel like some towns could be a menu. Dark Wizard did that and I thought it was neat. But dmans is supposed to feel like a world and removing towns shrinks that world. I want to be able to walk around a place. It lets me add stuff like pig farmers, Doomtalker (who vanished from these forums it seems?), unique shops in towns, and some other ideas that didn't quite pass muster. One of the biggest targets for a full reevaluation in any future rpg projects is how I approach towns.

There's a phrase I used often when playing MMOs, "Experience the Vastness!" It is a representation of a game designer's stubborn designer to makeallow a lucky player to explore a giant world between objectives-- either by riding a taxi over grand vistas or pointing his mount at the destination and tabbing out. I don't think Dungeonmans is so vast as to cause fatigue, but that's just my opinion, and I know there are players out there who would prefer a popup menu after killing a boss:

] Open Academy menu
] Open shop
] Begin next Dungeon

I think it's a valid minority opinion to say "Can we put every academy choice option and non-combat world interaction into a menu?" That would make a handful of really hardcore RL players happy, but I think it would alienate a great majority of other players who are my customer as well. A Quick Academy/Town toggle somewhere in the options could be interesting as an experiment.

drink_bleach posted:

Having played a fair amount of dungeonmans now I like it a bit; however, the same death happens to me basically every game. I sleepwalk through killing the popcorn monsters for a while until I stop paying attention then run into a champion and die. It's seriously happened like 10 times now.
The Academy motto translates to Careful, Cautious, On Guard, right? But I get what you're saying and you're not the first to say it. Crushing through waves of easier monsters can lull you into a false sense of security, and some of the Champions have attacks that might be too punishing. Might be-- compared to most RLs, dmans is a cakewalk.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

you should probably just put flashing text center screen reading "THE CAKE IS A LIE" after every ability use

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I'm trying to get through my Monk run in Crypt of the Necrodancer and holy butts is it frustrating. It's like if every time you killed an enemy in Megaman, that enemy turned into spikes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lordfrikk posted:

Is the giveaway still on or saved for later? Bunch of really good games still remain in the list.

Ask and you shall receive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madjackmcmad posted:

Auto-route back to the Academy is a skill you can learn if you put points in Cartography.

*snaps fingers*

That's the thing I was forgetting. It took me a while to realise Cartography was even there because the scroll buttons are fairly inobtrusive. They could use a bit of embellishment.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

I can respect your other design decisions even if I disagree with them, but this is just a basic quality of life issue. Having it as an optional skill adds nothing to the game but tedium.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

drink_bleach posted:

I too enjoy playing TOME.

I picked up CoQ a few days ago based on how popular it seems in this thread. Is this guide still pretty accurate? I'm less concerned about the quest walkthroughs than the suggested character builds - are they any good? I am really overwhelmed with options so far and I die pretty much anytime an enemy gets in melee range.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is the free text download of Qud some old crusty version?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So, as hoped, Sil got its 1.3 release today. No tiles (really I can't think of any plausible tileset that would do it justice but then again I Actually Liked the Silmarillion), but some changes to early game monsters (especially interesting for me since I keep dying before 400' so all I see is early game!), a new Mac version, and some tweaks to abilities and smithing.

Oh, and save compatibility apparently broken.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's a day ending in Y and we all know what that means: more Sproggiwood bug reports!

- Presents (for the yule event) can spawn on the boss level; the boss can stand on them. If the boss dies while standing on a present, you can't open it -- you'll step into the exit portal instead.
- If you select "flee the dungeon" from the menu, then ignore the portal it generates and instead finish the dungeon and kill the boss, it reports it as "you fled the dungeon" and you don't get the rewards for clearing it. :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the free text download of Qud some old crusty version?

Yeah, once the Steam version is released we'll eventually update it, but for now the Steak version is way ahead.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

turevidar posted:

I picked up CoQ a few days ago based on how popular it seems in this thread. Is this guide still pretty accurate? I'm less concerned about the quest walkthroughs than the suggested character builds - are they any good? I am really overwhelmed with options so far and I die pretty much anytime an enemy gets in melee range.

It's pretty solid, but keep in mind an Esper build will be super squishy and is maybe more of an advanced style, while True Kin tend to have a much easier time in the early game.

Dallan Invictus posted:

So, as hoped, Sil got its 1.3 release today. No tiles (really I can't think of any plausible tileset that would do it justice but then again I Actually Liked the Silmarillion), but some changes to early game monsters (especially interesting for me since I keep dying before 400' so all I see is early game!), a new Mac version, and some tweaks to abilities and smithing.

AWW YEAH. I am poo poo at Sil but I keep coming back. It's so good.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Unormal posted:

Yeah, once the Steam version is released we'll eventually update it, but for now the Steak version is way ahead.

Tastes better too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've been playing around with Renowned Explorers, and oh my god this game. My beguiler insulted a wolf so hard it ran away crying, and convinced a monkey to leave her alone by flashing some leg and winking (??? :stare:). When I was facing another adventurer's posse of friendly ladies and polite posturing didn't seem to be working for them, they decided to change tack, and two of them teamed up to try to aggressively flirt with my archaeologist until she was too embarrassed to speak. My expedition leader is a mad scientist who basically seems to be dubiously evil female Nikola Tesla, and, while hilariously bad at polite conversation, she makes up for it with her electrical beatdowns and terrifying, wild-eyed cackling. One of the boss battles came down to my beguiler engaging in some sort of seduction battle with an Egyptian lady diplomat, culminating in said diplomat being so enamoured of her that she disobeyed her employer - my team's rival - and let slip the location of a precious Viking sword that I later used to impress a Malinese sword enthusiast, who gave me a different priceless historical sword. What the gently caress is this game. I love this game. Please play this insane charming game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

and convinced a monkey to leave her alone by flashing some leg and winking (??? :stare:).

This is 100% true to life so I'm sold

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances

Dallan Invictus posted:

Any one who knows what they are taking about willing to post a getting started in Sil guide?

I want to like it but I'm so bad at it...

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

2016 worst year ever

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Angry Diplomat posted:

What the gently caress is this game. I love this game. Please play this insane charming game.
thats what ive been saying!

also i picked the same science lady as my first captain. shes cool

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

If you take Agatha with Hildegard as your captain, she gets a debuff for the rest of the game because she's pissed she has to take orders from a child

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Haha that rules.

Awesome! posted:

thats what ive been saying!

also i picked the same science lady as my first captain. shes cool

Her "get more of literally everything from science the more research you do" ability is sweet as hell. Towards the end I was delivering lectures in China and getting like five studies, two collections, a campaign, and a discovery for every insight I spent, and the studies were each giving me 5-20 gold and fame. Then I went to Shangri-La.

Note to self: don't loving go to Shangri-La :negative:

Estel
May 4, 2010
This sale has been the roguelike and weird games sale for me. I bought Dungeon of the Endless and Dungeonmans and gifted Caves of Qud.

And the next sale probably will be the same too, Caves of Qud, Renowned Explorers, Tower Climb, Invisible Inc. and so many more i want to buy :homebrew:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I bought Renowned Explorers a couple of days ago, too. Overall, I love the poo poo out of it. I beat it with >3k renown on my third try using Kwame, Pedrinho, and Agatha. The amount of healing and AoE and overall resilience was just so good. All of those characters also cracked me up. Agatha's group lectures and Kwame's buffing teleport dance and Pedrinho's jumping bongo drum friendship nuke were just too great. I did two 3 star missions before attempting a 4 star that time, and it really helped my ability to not get owned by the bosses. Some of those boss fights just feel plain unfair initially. It seems like being friendly is almost necessary for both of the 3 star bosses (Nun + Sakhmet). It also seems like healing + high resilience is much more important than firepower, but maybe that's just true for lower gold runs?

Edit: I'm having more luck with high damage characters on a team that could afford good armor quickly. Also, I didn't realize that the nun fight could be started with a devious mood, so it's not quite as bad as I'd thought for non-friendly teams.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've been playing around with Renowned Explorers, and oh my god this game. My beguiler insulted a wolf so hard it ran away crying, and convinced a monkey to leave her alone by flashing some leg and winking (??? :stare:). When I was facing another adventurer's posse of friendly ladies and polite posturing didn't seem to be working for them, they decided to change tack, and two of them teamed up to try to aggressively flirt with my archaeologist until she was too embarrassed to speak. My expedition leader is a mad scientist who basically seems to be dubiously evil female Nikola Tesla, and, while hilariously bad at polite conversation, she makes up for it with her electrical beatdowns and terrifying, wild-eyed cackling. One of the boss battles came down to my beguiler engaging in some sort of seduction battle with an Egyptian lady diplomat, culminating in said diplomat being so enamoured of her that she disobeyed her employer - my team's rival - and let slip the location of a precious Viking sword that I later used to impress a Malinese sword enthusiast, who gave me a different priceless historical sword. What the gently caress is this game. I love this game. Please play this insane charming game.

I think I would enjoy RE more without the combat, it's so repetitive and boring

It also seems shallow, but maybe I'm just not doing it right

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Soothing Vapors posted:

It also seems shallow, but maybe I'm just not doing it right

There's a lot of complexity involved with the emotions and moods, it's just... weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think that's a pretty general problem with these Oregon Trail with poo poo bolted on games. The poo poo bolted on usually isn't very compelling or is even outright bad (Banner Saga :arghfist: ).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think the silly animations go a long way to making the combat fun but i also see people say they hate the graphics and animations so i guess its a love it or hate it thing

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Sil update is pretty small but at least it isn't dead I guess.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Haha that rules.

Her "get more of literally everything from science the more research you do" ability is sweet as hell. Towards the end I was delivering lectures in China and getting like five studies, two collections, a campaign, and a discovery for every insight I spent, and the studies were each giving me 5-20 gold and fame. Then I went to Shangri-La.

Note to self: don't loving go to Shangri-La :negative:

Shangri-La isn't too bad but it frankly requires a lot of meta-gaming (which is another way of saying it is probably bad the first time or several times you go there). Like if you don't get all the keys you are in trouble for the final fight, and if you don't bring lots of supply (and ideally also climb mount Kailash) you will likely get hunger penalties which will also leave you in trouble for the final fight.

And almost all the adventure wheel tests (including those for the keys) have very challenging and specific skill requirements as well (and frequently give resolve penalties if you fail), which further reinforces the metagaming aspect.

On captains, Anna is a beast and by far the best captain score-wise. Charles and Kwame are also quite good.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Sil update is pretty small but at least it isn't dead I guess.

1.3 is last year's update.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

nplus1 elephants posted:

Any one who knows what they are taking about willing to post a getting started in Sil guide?

I want to like it but I'm so bad at it...

For the easiest start go Noldor, any house. Stats are 4-3-3-3 or 3-4-4-3. Use your starting XP to bump up melee and evasion the same. You'll need to keep these more or less topped up the whole game. The next most important skills are stealth and perception. The abilities you want are first crowdfighting (evasion) then exchange places (stealth). Exchange places will save your rear end when you need to flee from something that can kill you. Then you can start to work on lore-keeper and lore-master (perception). Keep all unidentified items, when you get loremaster you'll get a bump in XP. Focus on melee and evasion and combat abilities after that, no more than one or two smith abilities and songs, these are harder to get a good return from your XP on.

Racking up as much experience as you can over the course of the game so you can be fully levelled out for the endgame is key, so make sure to map and kill as much as possible and not go downstairs to quick. You'll always need to run from some stuff though. The best bane is rauko-bane.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

scuzzy pumper posted:

1.3 is last year's update.

Unless you mean in the sense that there wasn't an update in 2015… but 1.3 is new. Here is the announcement thread from yesterday.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The worst part of sil is the early game so these changes look exciting. The smithing nerf is not appreciated since smithing was already so hard to get off the ground but its relatively minor so meh.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

madjackmcmad posted:

This is so tempting!

Here's the icon if anyone wants it.

If nobody else is going for this I will, I love it

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Unless you mean in the sense that there wasn't an update in 2015… but 1.3 is new. Here is the announcement thread from yesterday.

:0 my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just downloaded Demon, and I've got an issue. This is actually a common issue for me when I try to run games that are built in unity.

The window that opens is too tall, and cannot be adjusted. A chunk of the screen is under my task bar, meaning that text tends to run down where I can't read it, particularly at the start when I'm selecting what I assume is my starting artifact?

I'm running win 7 using a widescreen monitor in 1280 x 720.