Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Home streaming magically started working which is good but I have no idea what specific thing actually did it so I guess if you have the same problem just do a bunch of signing in and out of iCloud and rebooting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Playing Geometry Wars and Galaxy on Fire. Anxiously awaiting the new NHL app. Enjoying not having to reboot the whole device if one app decides to screw up (Netflix, I'm looking at you).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

canyonero posted:

Watching live HGTV and Food Network with my parents' DirecTV account.

Slightly lovely/shady question: can I get some friend's/family's credentials to get access to some of these cable-based apps? Or is there some kind of flag or hard check?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

Slightly lovely/shady question: can I get some friend's/family's credentials to get access to some of these cable-based apps? Or is there some kind of flag or hard check?

Yes, you can. No, there isn't any hard check.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

The apps don't seem to care, I have Comcast for Internet and borrowing my mother-in-law's Frontier Communications credentials works for every cable channel app (with the possible exception of Adult Swim, which gives me a credential error when trying to play their live streams, though it could be that the app is buggy).

I have a feeling that companies will probably start cracking down on that sort of thing eventually but until then it's pretty great.

[Edit: that said its still a mess, there's only a few Apple TV-native apps; for most of the cable channel apps you have to AirPlay a stream from your phone and for some of those to work you have to enable device mirroring. And all of the apps kill the feed if you leave the app, meaning you can't use your phone while watching SyFy or whatever. The workaround I came up with was pulling my wife's old 5s out of storage and using it as a dedicated TV streaming device; you could probably pick up a used iPod Touch pretty cheaply to serve the same purpose.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 22, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There's an Adult Swim app?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's an Adult Swim app?

For iOS, not TVOS.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just got one of these for Christmas to replace my Boxee Box.

holy poo poo, the future is amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I bought one yesterday to make life easier while I'm away from my plex box (my Apple TV 3 ideally needs to be on the same network). There's a lot of ported stuff from the old model which is fine, but I hope they improve. Air BnB is probably the worst app ever but with work it could be pretty awesome.

When I did the update to the latest version, it auto downloaded BBC iplayer which is neat I guess. I'm glad my UK and US apps can still live side by side too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The plex app wouldn't take my password from the remote all on my phone. I had to enter it with the Siri remote. That was weird

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone had problems with it not working on their TV? My early 2010s LG isn't playing ball. Annoyingly I didn't test it before moving it in a car and I've got not much in the way of HDMI devices here to test the TV (LGs of that age have a habit of the HDMI ports dying, and the fix is to put the mainboard in the oven. Hm.) but I know the ATV is fine as I tried it on another TV, even tried reducing the resolution to SD to see if that'd help, but nothing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really wish there was some volume normalization in tvOS. Different apps have wildly different volume settings. I have to crank Netflix really high to hear, which then means as soon as I launch Plex everything is cranked to 11 until I wildly scramble to mash the vol-- button on the remote.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is that with the volume compression tool built into the system? (Slide down on the remote while playing a video and look under Audio.)

In other news, anyone who wants game streams and didn't cough up a buck for UnTwitched can get it for free over the holidays(?)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, this is with full dynamic range :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Working with Bluetooth headphones might very well be my favourite upgrade so far.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Important Apple TV PSA: When you set the Apple TV's name for AirPlay purposes, you can use emojis 😭🙌💪

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ars has a breakdown on running emulators through the new Apple TV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.

Well, I think they do a good enough job explaining that. I did this last month, and I've been using it on my iPhone for longer. The UI is wonky if you have tons of games, since there is no way to sort the library. Games themselves run fine. You can changing or remove the filtering and they run full speed. The game metadata scrapper is okay with non-US releases, but works great with US region roms.

Would I buy a new Apple TV just for this? Ehhhh, I don't know, not yet anyway. But if you do have one, and can set up Xcode (it's easy) then it's a nice bonus.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Is there a way to do this with a PC or am I just out of luck?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's no way to do this with a PC. If you know someone with a Mac and a paid developer account, theoretically you could get them to make a build and invite you as a beta tester, but I'm not sure what legal mumbo jumbo this would expose them to.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to do this with a PC or am I just out of luck?

Check for a hackintosh thread on these forums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hughlander posted:

Check for a hackintosh thread on these forums.

At that point it's just cheaper to plop the emulator and games on a cheap HTPC and pair an Xbox 360 controller or w/e.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anyone using gamecenter live on their AppleTV 4: does scrubbing not work correctly? Whenever I try to fastforward, rewind, or scrub the video it always just defaults back to what's live.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tofes posted:

Anyone using gamecenter live on their AppleTV 4: does scrubbing not work correctly? Whenever I try to fastforward, rewind, or scrub the video it always just defaults back to what's live.

I've had that problem for the past week or so. It's annoying. I use Siri for time skipping now and it still works fine.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

GutBomb posted:

I've had that problem for the past week or so. It's annoying. I use Siri for time skipping now and it still works fine.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At that point it's just cheaper to plop the emulator and games on a cheap HTPC and pair an Xbox 360 controller or w/e.

You can run the hackintosh in a virtual machine thus incurring no expense. It still may not be worth the time. But it's what I meant. :)

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Anyone having weird AirPlay issues when pushing Spotify to the new ATV4? Mine only wants to seem to play for about 1-2 minutes before it drops the AirPlay connection and starts playing the last played Apple Music radio station that was listened to. I've checked all the AirPlay settings and there are no restrictions or anything like that so I have no idea what is going on. Anyone else seen this happen? I've tried restarting the box a few times to no avail.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've had some problems, but not the ones you're talking about. Here the biggest problem is that Spotify often doesn't seem to find the ATV's Airplay. However, I can Airplay by swiping up and using the "universal airplaying" option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

puppy party posted:

Anyone having weird AirPlay issues when pushing Spotify to the new ATV4? Mine only wants to seem to play for about 1-2 minutes before it drops the AirPlay connection and starts playing the last played Apple Music radio station that was listened to. I've checked all the AirPlay settings and there are no restrictions or anything like that so I have no idea what is going on. Anyone else seen this happen? I've tried restarting the box a few times to no avail.

I've had that problem with another app, yeah.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the tiny Steel Series controller. is it compatible with my Apple TV?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

If it's bluetooth, then yes. (also, if it works with iOS, it will work with tvOS)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Laserface posted:

As long as it's an MFI controller yes.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

This works well enough that I'm going to buy the controller for it so I can play NES Mario

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I have an Apple TV connected to my computer monitor. The volume buttons do nothing useful. (When it's connected to a TV, it changes the TV volume fine.) Is there a way to make the volume keys change the internal Apple TV volume? So I don't have to walk across the room and fiddle with my computer speaker knob each time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I may be wrong but I don't think there is an actual internal volume setting with the ATV. It's dependent on your setup.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Kilometers Davis posted:

I may be wrong but I don't think there is an actual internal volume setting with the ATV. It's dependent on your setup.

The only solution I can see here is to get Bluetooth speakers instead. When I use my Bluetooth headphones, the volume buttons actually change an Apple TV specific volume thing. It looks like the iOS volume graphic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else using Provenance? My remote not
My new MFI Horipad ultimate are not working for roms aside from the menu button bring up the menu overlay for Provenance.

Not sure how to fix...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
VLC app dropped today. Plex does what I need but I know a few of you were looking forward to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does VLC read files, off network shares or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

EL BROMANCE posted:

How does VLC read files, off network shares or something?

Exactly. If you don't want to setup a folder share, you can also use direct streaming through your browser. It is pretty cool.