Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have been speaking English all my life and I have literally never heard anyone pronounce it in any other way than Tie-tan or Tie-ten.

If it's wrong, the dubbers probably didn't even realize it any more than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
In the Japanese version of Blood Blockade Battlefront they say Libra as "Lie-brah" but in the dub they say "Lee-brah" because it would sound dumb as hell in english the other way. I suspect this is the same kind of situation.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Son Ryo posted:

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

You are a language terrorist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

You are a language terrorist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Red Comet, Sha.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Prepare my Zack for combat so I can destroy Noah Bright for the glory of John.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My first exposure to Gundam was from a translation of the first book, so I was very surprised the show wasn't about Amuro fighting Sha of Jion.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

closeted republican posted:

Prepare my Zack for combat so I can destroy Noah Bright for the glory of John.

Oh my god I need to watch those FMV's again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TTBF posted:

My first exposure to Gundam was from a translation of the first book, so I was very surprised the show wasn't about Amuro fighting Sha of Jion.

A guy that's been translating SRW stories for years will fight people every time they tell him to correct "Jion" into "Zeon"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Please god tell me the whole 'We have to assemble the Victory Gundam piece by piece' goes away. I'm already tired of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

A guy that's been translating SRW stories for years will fight people every time they tell him to correct "Jion" into "Zeon"

I feel like at this point he goes against the official names on purpose since that happens with newer shows with official translations too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Easy example based on the top of my head: Insisting that A-LAWS in Gundam 00 is "Arrows", despite the fact that their logo clearly states otherwise.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Please god tell me the whole 'We have to assemble the Victory Gundam piece by piece' goes away. I'm already tired of it.

No, it happens pretty much the whole time. I got tired of it too, especially when it took them forever to get the thing out though Usso did get to do some fun improvised stuff in the meantime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Easy example based on the top of my head: Insisting that A-LAWS in Gundam 00 is "Arrows", despite the fact that their logo clearly states otherwise.

Pretty sure it's also an acronym, so how anyone got that idea is beyond me :psyduck:.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Midjack posted:

No, it happens pretty much the whole time. I got tired of it too, especially when it took them forever to get the thing out though Usso did get to do some fun improvised stuff in the meantime.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, the bad guys from what I have seem in some moments seem to make Zeon look....efficient? good at their job? the gently caress?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it's also an acronym, so how anyone got that idea is beyond me :psyduck:.

By not watching the show and just going off the text in the SRW game, while refusing to believe the official translation is correct, of course :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He's a greybeard, let him enjoy his time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep loving that chicken, MNeidengard. :spergin:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, the bad guys from what I have seem in some moments seem to make Zeon look....efficient? good at their job? the gently caress?

Zanscare are the most crazy out of the UC Gundam factions. They're completely insane.

As it turns out giving independence to the colonies was a bad idea because with they keep installing monarchies and cults as their leaders.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh my god I need to watch those FMV's again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiTosK80Wfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzb16ug6Kyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWxxY0IILE

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Victory Gundam flows better when you view it as Uso being the last sane human being in the known universe and the show is him realizing that everyone has lost their minds.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

How have I never seen this before? It reminds me of the old Wing Commander games which I have a tremendous fondness for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man this Jon guy sounds like he's really an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Also here's part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ATzU_blOQk

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 4, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reds posted:

Zanscare are the most crazy out of the UC Gundam factions. They're completely insane.

As it turns out giving independence to the colonies was a bad idea because with they keep installing monarchies and cults as their leaders.

Holy poo poo, a real guillotine! I thought it was just a name for a secret weapon or something but no, an actual 19th century loving guillotine.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Holy poo poo, a real guillotine! I thought it was just a name for a secret weapon or something but no, an actual 19th century loving guillotine.

This was the exact reaction i had when i first saw it too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Reds posted:

They're basically Space Isis.

Hmm. There's seventy years between the One-Year War and Zanscare, much as there was seventy years between WWII and Isis. It checks out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

Victory Gundam is pretty much Come And See the anime, isn't it?

no that's 0080

or possibly Iron Blooded Orphans depending on how things shake out in that, it started out dark as gently caress and it's dipped back into that here and there but it might end optimistically

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

no that's 0080

or possibly Iron Blooded Orphans depending on how things shake out in that, it started out dark as gently caress and it's dipped back into that here and there but it might end optimistically

Naaah, IBO is too busy being the second shonen anime Beasts of No Nation.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Darth Walrus posted:

Naaah, IBO is too busy being the second shonen anime Beasts of No Nation.

Refresh my memory on the first one?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Refresh my memory on the first one?

Now and Then, Here and There.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
gently caress you weren't kidding.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Darth Walrus posted:

poo poo, you're right. Totally slipped my mind.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Missed that one the first time around and holy cow that is an ultraviolet (sic) dark show.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dropped IBO when the creepy space harem was introduced. From what I looked at the episodes that followed, I'm not sure I made the wrong decision.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dropped IBO when the creepy space harem was introduced. From what I looked at the episodes that followed, I'm not sure I made the wrong decision.

I'm moving through IBO real slow. Does this actually happen or is it a wild overreaction to a love triangle?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Your way works too posted:

I'm moving through IBO real slow. Does this actually happen or is it a wild overreaction to a love triangle?

It's a dude with a literal harem who runs another merc organisation that is him and his wives, and people flipped out because they're not portrayed as a bunch of broken weirdos or abused or whatever.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Your way works too posted:

There is a harem, and it's shown as being more functional then most of the other groups that are presented within the show

There's plenty of relationships that are shown to hosed up, like Mika and Orga's extreme codependency, but are also less destructive then what they could be dealing with otherwise (being used as an expendable resource/slaves)

e: like the harem's weird and probably wouldn't work in real life but in the show there's nothing really sketchy about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Naze Turbine is honestly kind of a lovely character. He's basically dude Lacus Clyne. He pops into the show and he's a perfect flawless awesome dude who everyone loves, gives the protagonist exactly the stuff they need, has a literal harem of sexy wives and in general he's pretty tiresome and the worst part of the show.

Like the Harem thing is odd but the entire character kinda sucks so far. Maybe he'll get better later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The episodes following the introduction of Naze were some of the best, but you expressed IBO isn't your type of show months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Uso just got Bright...punched?