Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Venom Snake posted:

How dare property be damaged in the quest for a better future. Obviously these BRAVE PATRIOTS standing up to BIG GOVERNMENT for their right to set forests on fire and kill firemen are the real heroes.

In their minds they are standing up for a brighter future and also arent currently damaging innocent peoples stuff. What you just said is complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

In their minds they are standing up for a brighter future and also arent currently damaging innocent peoples stuff. What you just said is complete garbage.

If they are serious about their demands, theft is a form of damage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone on my facebook just said "trailer daesh".

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I like this response.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
If the Obama administration some how lets these guys get children out there then it's his biggest and most obvious failing as president. Get a perimeter out there and offer limited amnesty (but no amnesty from firearm violations) to those who surrender. Starve the ones who stay inside. Make them fire the first shot. The second shot is a drone strike.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Lars Blitzer posted:

I like this response.

Perfect. This is the most impotent display of dickwaving since Ron Jeremy's last video (don't look it up it's sad as hell). Like, here's a remote unmanned visitor centre that no one cares about but we're going to take it over and dare the government to take it back. That there's even been a government response outside of a local volunteer cop parked a mile down the road is remarkable. Let these fuckers do what they want, even to the point of voluntarily leaving, and arrest them for sedition one-by-one six months down the road when they're back to dicking animals or whatever they do.
Make it even more hiliarious by arresting them all at the same time, one-by-one, and posting it on the internet as a 'crime doesn't pay' extravaganza. Could even make it a pay-per-view.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lotka Volterra posted:

If they are serious about their demands, theft is a form of damage.

Currently they are sitting in a few buildings in the middle of nowhere

compare that to burning cars and smashing stores and rioting through a town

All in all, this is a far better protest than most on the left regardless of whether or not you agree with them and excusing riots as being for a "brighter and better future" in your mind is exactly the same poo poo as what these same people complain about the other side doing. These guys have as much right to protest as anyone else.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If the sheriff is the ultimate authority shouldn't they go home since the sheriff told them to gently caress off?
According to the posse comitatus ideology that these people follow, a sheriff who refuses his duty to the citizens should be hanged.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 4, 2016

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

compare that to burning cars and smashing stores and rioting through a town.

All in all, this is a far better protest than most on the left regardless of whether or not you agree with them and excusing riots as being for a "brighter and better future" in your mind is exactly the same poo poo as what these same people complain about the other side doing. These guys have as much right to protest as anyone else.

Oh they can protest all they want and that's what they're doing. The fact they're doing it in a remote visitor centre instead of a government building in an actual city shows just how brave and tough and serious they are -- we'll take over unoccupied remote outposts but holy poo poo we're not going to go near anywhere people might actually, you know, stand up and fight our occupation. That would be suicide!
Hillbilly heroism at it's finest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

compare that to burning cars and smashing stores and rioting through a town

"Most [protests] on the left" would agree that burning cars, smashing stores, and rioting is bad. I'd say "and you know that", but I'm not actually sure you do.

Empirically speaking, I think I'm increasingly curious about what would happen if some protests on the left started open carrying firearms in their peaceful enterprises and hinting that they would resist arrest with lethal force.

They'd be crushed with even more force than BLM traditionally is.

To reiterate my position from some pages ago: protests, even stupid sovereign citizen protests, fine. Occupation of federal property, fine-ish although traditionally protesters who eg vandalize government property expect to be arrested and are fine with that (and even see it as a good visibility booster). Implicit threats against law enforcement, not particularly fine. Explicit threats against law enforcement, a la the last Bundy Incident, quite not fine.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 4, 2016

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Most [protests] on the left" would agree that burning cars, smashing stores, and rioting is bad. I'd say "and you know that", but I'm not actually sure you do.

Empirically speaking, I think I'm increasingly curious about what would happen if some protests on the left started open carrying firearms in their peaceful enterprises and hinting that they would resist arrest with lethal force.

Christ, when you look at it, these guys are almost the perfect 'liberal hurr' protesters out there. Take over something that has literally no value or interest and scream that you're doing this for a serious and purposeful cause while doing as little as possible to provoke actual violence because you want no part of that when it comes to real life.

As much as I support liberal causes, I really don't think I can get behind these guys.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

People have already gone over why they aren't going to crush this with force. The same would happen to a leftist group threatening to riot and not actually doing it like these dudes are.

The fact of the matter is, is that while most people would say the riot destroy poo poo protests are bad, they are happening. Not every leftist is destroying innocent peoples property and businesses, not everyone on the right is sitting in a nature reserve with their rifles. If you look at the recent uni protests were leftists are assaulting journalists and fake vandalising pictures of black people combined with bullshit lies about KKK hunting blacks on campus, then compare it to this protest where they have managed to get a fucktonne of media attention without any bullshit at all, without destroying property, and without interrupting innocent peoples lives, you have to be actually mentally broken to say this is not a far better form of protest. Regardless of your views on what they are on about.

E: The fake vandalism I'm talking about is the thin strip of black tape on pictures of black professors etc at that uni. Because a racist is going to delicately apply a thin strip of tape over a face in a photo and not just destroy them.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 4, 2016

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

Make them fire the first shot. The second shot is a drone strike.

Why, do you work for the Rand Paul campaign?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

People have already gone over why they aren't going to crush this with force. The same would happen to a leftist group threatening to riot and not actually doing it like these dudes are.

The fact of the matter is, is that while most people would say the riot destroy poo poo protests are bad, they are happening. Not every leftist is destroying innocent peoples property and businesses, not everyone on the right is sitting in a nature reserve with their rifles. If you look at the recent uni protests were leftists are assaulting journalists and fake vandalising pictures of black people combined with bullshit lies about KKK hunting blacks on campus, then compare it to this protest where they have managed to get a fucktonne of media attention without any bullshit at all, without destroying property, and without interrupting innocent peoples lives, you have to be actually mentally broken to say this is not a far better form of protest. Regardless of your views on what they are on about.

Interrupting innocent people's lives?! Well my my my that is simply uncalled for.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Sucrose posted:

Why, do you work for the Rand Paul campaign?

Because lethal force shouldn't be used except in response to lethal force?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

There is that thing with threats, saying you are willing to kill and be killed, which makes it an escalation beyond peacefully occupying a building. The entirety of their strategy, to get media attention, hinges on that implicit threat. It would be better if people didn't threaten to start shootouts every time they have a grievance because one day it will inevitably escalate beyond words.

Also, riots spurred by race tensions and poverty are not leftwing riots anymore than sports riots are rightwing riots.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
All hail the y'allQueda yeehaw'dists!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Man Whore posted:

No, the joke is that Rand Paul was blathering on about "drone strikes in the US," something that's patently ridiculous.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Sucrose posted:

No, the joke is that Rand Paul was blathering on about "drone strikes in the US," something that's patently ridiculous.

oh, whoops. thought you had issue with the first part.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Yes, not interrupting innocent people's lives at all! Except, you know, the employees who work at the Refuge, the people who use the Refuge for recreational purposes, and the fact that they are specifically doing this not as a form of protest but to literally seize public land and turn it over to their buddies and/or personally profit from its use. You know, aside from all of that this armed robbery of public land is entirely victimless!

You have to be an idiot to compare riots that A) encompass a small subsection of ongoing protests B) happen as a reaction to real oppression, emphasis on real and C) tend to be heat of the moment and a result of tensions boiling over as a result of heavy-handed police tactics to a bunch of wingnuts deciding they're just going to steal land from the public and then threaten anyone who attempts to remove them with violent reprisal. But otherwise, these are definitely 1:1 situations and appropriate to directly compare. I very much do enjoy the fact that you think "no bullshit" is waving guns around and threatening violence in defense of the defilement and destruction of public land, though.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 4, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Given that those protests would be in broad daylight in the middle of city centers rather than buttfuck nowhere in an abandoned building, the cops would be beating them down under a hail of tear gas, bullets and batons

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
SOUND THE HORN! THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN!

*hhhppppfbbrrrrtttfffppt*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yes, not interrupting innocent people's lives at all! Except, you know, the employees who work at the Refuge, the people who use the Refuge for recreational purposes, and the fact that they are specifically doing this not as a form of protest but to literally seize public land and turn it over to their buddies and/or personally profit from its use. You know, aside from all of that this armed robbery of public land is entirely victimless!

You have to be an idiot to compare riots that A) encompass a small subsection of ongoing protests B) happen as a reaction to real oppression, emphasis on real and C) tend to be heat of the moment and a result of tensions boiling over as a result of heavy-handed police tactics to a bunch of wingnuts deciding they're just going to steal land from the public and then threaten anyone who attempts to remove them with violent reprisal. But otherwise, these are definitely 1:1 situations and appropriate to directly compare. I very much do enjoy the fact that you think "no bullshit" is waving guns around and threatening violence in defense of the defilement and destruction of public land, though.
The difference is that these claim jumpers are rural whites while the urban rioters were both urban and of the negrous persuasion.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I saw those gloves on Amazon, rancher's endorsement.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Man Whore posted:

Absolutely not - the threat of lethal force is the appropriate response to non-compliance, and in fact is what police officers are supposed to do. If you resist arrest or attempt to escape custody (in cases where you are armed and violent) for example, you're not technically using lethal force, but the use of lethal force against you is still acceptable.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 4, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

rudatron posted:

Absolutely not - the threat of lethal force is the appropriate response to non-compliance, and in fact is what police officers are supposed to do. If you resist arrest or attempt to escape custody for example, you're not using lethal force, but the use of lethal force against you is still acceptable.

:stonk:

"HEY KID THROW AWAY THAT TOY GUN IN TWO SECONDS"

*is too bewildered and surprised to comply*

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

"GOOD KILL GOOD KILL"

e: your edit makes this less ridiculous but the protestors/militia haven't been violent yet either, nor does non-compliance by itself have anything to do with being violent

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 4, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
An officer is expected to use the appropriate level of force to overcome resistance - that means they have a 'right' to escalate, something normal citizens don't have. That's why they're the police. That's obviously not justifying pointless killing, or using more force that is appropriate, but you are dead wrong if you think that lethal force can only be used in response to lethal force. That's not how it works.

edit: Though I'll admit your response is technically understandable - I didn't but should have qualified the terms about overcoming resistance. That's my mistake.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 4, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

An officer is expected to use the appropriate level of force to overcome resistance - that means they have a 'right' to escalate, something normal citizens don't have. That's why they're the police. That's obviously not justifying pointless killing, or using more force that is appropriate, but you are dead wrong if you think that lethal force can only be used in response to lethal force. That's not how it works.

You've got a funny use of the word 'acceptable'. I think it's highly debatable that police should be allowed to use lethal force unless it's in the course of defending their own lives or someone else's. Tamir Rice's murderer did not try to say "I thought he was going to get away". Walter Scott's murderer felt he had to plant evidence rather than simply say he was preventing an escape.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Abner Cadaver II posted:

:lol:

Is there really still no perimeter or anything around the area? I mean, we can all gloat about how cold and miserable they probably are tonight, but Bundy has basically put the equivalent of a nutjob bat signal into the sky, and there'll probably be more of them coming out of the woodwork in the following days.

I would imagine the fact that they're definitely occupying a building that's supposed to be closed off would at least warrant someone going out there and being like "Actually no, it's not cool for more people to come and blatantly trespass on our site." I don't see how preventing more people from entering would necessarily provoke the people inside from doing something crazy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

:stonk:

"HEY KID THROW AWAY THAT TOY GUN IN TWO SECONDS"

*is too bewildered and surprised to comply*

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

"GOOD KILL GOOD KILL"

e: your edit makes this less ridiculous but the protestors/militia haven't been violent yet either, nor does non-compliance by itself have anything to do with being violent

Saying you are going to use violence does, which they have.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Is there really still no perimeter or anything around the area? I mean, we can all gloat about how cold and miserable they probably are tonight, but Bundy has basically put the equivalent of a nutjob bat signal into the sky, and there'll probably be more of them coming out of the woodwork in the following days.

I would imagine the fact that they're definitely occupying a building that's supposed to be closed off would at least warrant someone going out there and being like "Actually no, it's not cool for more people to come and blatantly trespass on our site." I don't see how preventing more people from entering would necessarily provoke the people inside from doing something crazy.

The authorities are probably waiting for all the fuss and media attention to die down. Give it a few weeks, and a lot of the fair-weather revolutionaries will decide that living in the wilderness 20 miles away from the nearest roll of toilet paper is pretty uncomfortable, or decide they need to go back to work to pay their child support. Once they've all given up on it, the few die-hards will be left without their support network and human shields. At this point, the authorities can either drop the hammer on them, or more likely just ignore them and let them freeze their asses off.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Well, poo poo.
Heard that horn call and now I have to grab my most powerful weapon and respond. That horn is the be all end all of northern society and as someone born in Lynn Lake and raised in Flin Flon I have to answer.
Grabbed my gun, loaded it with BBs, screamed at the top of my lungs 'gently caress OFF YOU INBRED HICK PIECES OF poo poo', sat down and continued readin' and postin'.
I heard the call, answered the call and here we are today.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I have always wondered, is this the cartoonist writing notes to himself? I mean, we already have a cartoon here made by some whitey crying about martin luther king pretty clearly, why would the cartoonist then make like a couple paragraphs of annotations to the same image?

Couple of pages back, but my take on this was always that someone saw it in the paper, clipped it out and added their own commentary, and then sent it to MLK.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Abner Cadaver II posted:

These guys freezing their rear end off tonight is still cracking me up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's not their fault the wood in the area doesn't burn well! We should help these patriots out by sending them a few pallets of beans so they can light their farts to stay warm.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Captain Bravo posted:

It's not their fault the wood in the area doesn't burn well! We should help these patriots out by sending them a few pallets of beans so they can light their farts to stay warm.

The wood in the area burning well is kind of what started this mess. Kind of.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What sort of wildlife are currently at the refuge? Just so I know what they'll be eating until they run out of ammo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

and want to see more gasoline involved

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UV_Catastrophe posted:

There are probably only a couple of full time law enforcement in this small county who must figure they have better things to do than babysit these idiots and are just going to wait for the FBI to show up tomorrow and deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

acejackson42 posted:

Well, poo poo.
Heard that horn call and now I have to grab my most powerful weapon and respond. That horn is the be all end all of northern society and as someone born in Lynn Lake and raised in Flin Flon I have to answer.
Grabbed my gun, loaded it with BBs, screamed at the top of my lungs 'gently caress OFF YOU INBRED HICK PIECES OF poo poo', sat down and continued readin' and postin'.
I heard the call, answered the call and here we are today.

"Sucks to your assmarr, Piggy."

• Locked thread