Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

chairface posted:

My biggest problem with the Elephant is that Framing Frame isn't a frame job at all. The Democratic Congressman ACTUALLY did the arms deal and has footage of the whole thing because he's apparently an idiot. We're not framing the guy; we're doing quality investigative journalism here. Also, since most stuff in this game is based on someone/something IRL or in a movie, my pick for who the Democrat is supposed to be is this guy: Leland Yee but I'm not sure the timeframes line up. When'd the Elephant's heists come out?

The elephant heists (Big Oil and Framing Frame, at least) were at launch. Several of the launch heists were cobbled together from incomplete heists- my suspicion is the same thing happened with Framing Frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

chairface posted:

My biggest problem with the Elephant is that Framing Frame isn't a frame job at all. The Democratic Congressman ACTUALLY did the arms deal and has footage of the whole thing because he's apparently an idiot. We're not framing the guy; we're doing quality investigative journalism here. Also, since most stuff in this game is based on someone/something IRL or in a movie, my pick for who the Democrat is supposed to be is this guy: Leland Yee but I'm not sure the timeframes line up. When'd the Elephant's heists come out?

If you stealth it you plant cocaine in his place, which is really the only framing aspect to the crime. Between the stolen paintings at his place and the arms deal it seems like the cocaine is superfluous.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dr Cheeto posted:

If you stealth it you plant cocaine in his place, which is really the only framing aspect to the crime. Between the stolen paintings at his place and the arms deal it seems like the cocaine is superfluous.

Nice, I forgot the paintings are legit stolen too and we didn't plant those; he bought em fair and square. Yeah not sure why cocaine needs to be involved at all. Guy's got an apartment full of stolen paintings and is on tape doing an arms-gold-coke deal. The gold for which is in his vault if we don't steal it, so why not keep our coke and let the cops crack his vault for the gold? The whole thing's pretty :psyduck: even compared to some of Hector's baffling plans.

EDIT: It occurs to me the only explanation for the vault being cracked and the gold being gone is that someone broke in, which is consistent with the video's publication in either case... which also means the stolen paintings and coke wind up nearly impossible to use as evidence because they're in a crime scene that everyone involved agrees a third party broke into. The Elephant is on some serious :catdrugs:

chairface fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Maybe that makes me a bad
nope

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Elephant's goal isn't to land the congressman in prison. A bunch of armed lunatics in clown masks, stolen goods, drugs, and evidence of an arms deal would be more than enough to destroy a politician's credibility and chances of reelection.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Elephant's goal isn't to land the congressman in prison. A bunch of armed lunatics in clown masks, stolen goods, drugs, and evidence of an arms deal would be more than enough to destroy a politician's credibility and chances of reelection.

However, the idea of President Elephant sounds cool so we should get that one heist someone outlined where we kill Not Trump or get Winters to kill Not Trump.

Fake Edit: And if Not Trump is kill due to Winters misfiring, the Commish just hops off a building out of "I hosed up big and my plans are completely poo poo. Can't live anymore."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvKXUbxj0U

i'm dieing

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Welp, I just reached lvl100 and suddenly realized Infamy 1 doesn't give you a real advantage (just +5% xp, no skill bonuses). It's gonna take like 40 more hours to get to my first skill requirement drop. And I won't be doing a full, proper build till Infamy V anyway :geno:

If they're gonna tie gameplay bonuses to prestiges those XP boosts should be much higher (like in Titanfall, where you got +30% each even though they were just for bragging rights). 5% each just feels like a grind.

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 4, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Elman posted:

Welp, I just reached lvl100 and suddenly realized Infamy 1 doesn't give you a real advantage (just +5% xp, no skill bonuses). It's gonna take like 40 more hours to get to my first skill requirement drop. And I won't be doing a full, proper build till Infamy V anyway :geno:

If they're gonna tie gameplay bonuses to prestiges those XP boosts should be much higher (like in Titanfall, where you got +30% each even though they were just for bragging rights). 5% each just feels like a grind.
Oh man you should have seen how long it took back when infamy first dropped

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Elman posted:

If you actually want to grind to infamy 25 the boosts add up so much to the point where you get more out of the infamy bonus than from the heist itself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Even with no infamy bonuses you can go from level 0 to level 100 in like 4 hours of play if you go full sperg OPTIMAL. Even if you presume it's double that for casual play, that is loving fast. Don't be a baby.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Coolguye posted:

Even with no infamy bonuses you can go from level 0 to level 100 in like 4 hours of play if you go full sperg OPTIMAL. Even if you presume it's double that for casual play, that is loving fast. Don't be a baby.

Hey, I've played for 5.7 hours and I'm only 50ish. Is it because I failed the diamond run? :mediocre:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
if you run difficulties below overkill you are going to level much more slowly

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Wow, calm down Coolguye.

It isn't 2013 anymore, grinding provokill rats and blowing the lab over and over to go between 80-100 is in the past ... :negative:

Actually it still hurts.

Elman, quit yo' bitchin', you at least have the option of playing with goons who will revel in power leveling you for shits and gigs.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eh, I usually play with friends. But we did play lower difficulties at first till we moved on to Overkill, so hopefully it won't take as long this time around. I'll give it a shot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Elman posted:

Eh, I usually play with friends and there's no way we'll be grinding. But we did play lower difficulties at irst till we moved on to Overkill, so hopefully it'll take shorter this time. I'll give it a shot.

Aftershock's almost a million XP in about 11 minutes. Election day stealth gives a 20% boost to the next heist. Cook off gives 88000 per bag before any bonuses come into play.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 4, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I liked the part where overkill luigi sucked money out of the ghost wallet with its dlc vacuum

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Elman posted:

Eh, I usually play with friends. But we did play lower difficulties at first till we moved on to Overkill, so hopefully it won't take as long this time around. I'll give it a shot.

Remember to give yourself 20 or so levels immediately by just stealthing a Deatwish-difficulty Jewelry Store after heisting, it's easy enough to do alone, and it won't penalize your XP for playing on Deathwish, which other heists will do. Good way to get yourself enough points to grab all the QoL skills you'll immediately miss after losing them.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
At maxed Infamy, I'm all about the Cards these days.

And shoot cops.

But basically my top heists are Mallcrashers, Four Stores, Nightclub and Jewelry Store.

Mostly Mallcrashers though, I can trigger the escape within 30 seconds and can solo it on DW, pubbies be damned. No need for bag throwing, waiting on drills, or tedious escapes - just get the job done, then just chill and shoot cops.

I ran a bank heist stealth with some friends over the weekend to show them the ropes and hated every second; I pretty much did stealth bank heists exclusively though my first couple of levels of infamy - they're easy and you're almost guaranteed a decent XP payout, but by god that wait for the drill. I have wasted so many hours of my life breaking windows, checking package spawn locations, and trying to stuff body bags into the managers office.

This game really needs an actual deck of cards in game, 52 pickup at the very least.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Elman posted:

Sticking to Overkill really speeds things up a LOT. I learned that lesson after my first infamy. It took a shitload of hours to get my first hundred, and now I'm casually waltzing through an infamy every third day even with sub-optimal runs and pubstoving.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sticking to a regiment of OVERKILL or above is the best way to learn the game and gain confidence in any play style you can think of. To go lower is to limit your cop killing potential by staying in the baby pool longer than you ever needed to - which is arguably never.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Sticking to a regiment of OVERKILL or above is the best way to learn the game and gain confidence in any play style you can think of. To go lower is to limit your cop killing potential by staying in the baby pool longer than you ever needed to - which is arguably never.

With a handful of hours in the game, and a few runs of being carried, coupled with Gage coins from goonmod, you really should be on overkill difficulty at a minimum. Everything below that is for Cheevo hunting or mask collecting.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
You would think so, but I've seen high Infamy pubbies struggle to complete Overkill. Maybe they cheated their way up, though/

Anyway levelling is much easier now than it used to be. They even give you XP after each day of multi-day heists, which means you won't end up with nothing due to disconnecting or being kicked so long as you complete at least 1 day. This didn't use to be the case, which meant great frustration when disconnects occurred at the end of Hoxton Breakout or other high XP payout heists. XP also scales with the number of bags you get on Rats and a few other heists too, which again wasn't the case previously.

Of course, nothing beats the good old days of multiple Rats runs when the first Infamy update was new. Another method used back then - which I didn't, I quit the game for the time being instead - was to get the train heist through an armoured transport job, then suicide off the bridge because each failed run would still give you about 40,000 XP or so. Doing this for a couple of hours would apparently get you from 0 to 100 at the cost of any and all fun or self-respect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chairface posted:

Nice, I forgot the paintings are legit stolen too and we didn't plant those; he bought em fair and square. Yeah not sure why cocaine needs to be involved at all. Guy's got an apartment full of stolen paintings and is on tape doing an arms-gold-coke deal. The gold for which is in his vault if we don't steal it, so why not keep our coke and let the cops crack his vault for the gold? The whole thing's pretty :psyduck: even compared to some of Hector's baffling plans.

EDIT: It occurs to me the only explanation for the vault being cracked and the gold being gone is that someone broke in, which is consistent with the video's publication in either case... which also means the stolen paintings and coke wind up nearly impossible to use as evidence because they're in a crime scene that everyone involved agrees a third party broke into. The Elephant is on some serious :catdrugs:

I thought he wanted the paintings, got outbid, contracted us to heist them, paid us for them, elephant enters the picture.

Someone with elephant and bain set the cameras up in the paintings between day 1 and the handoff, they reportedly catch a deal going down between the handoff and day 3 (arms-gold-coke) and the elephant needs security footage and docs off the server to make it a story. Clowns bust in, steal the gold, leave the coke, steal the laptop and phone and whatnot. If it goes loud we hack the server and upload it directly to the media, who respond to a big ol' donnybrook going down in a senator's penthouse between team clowns and DC's finest. Never mind that DC's actual building codes won't allow for a high-rise penthouse (height restrictions to minimize sniping potential, or sat blood gummit keeping it jackboot on the neck of the poor RE developer, your choice) but that's what I thought the story was behind FF.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DC height restrictions are to preserve historic traits of the city, not to prevent snipers.

We set up the cameras, they're just to help us sneak around the penthouse. The coke is the only illegal material that is in the penthouse when we arrive. The footage of the deal isn't from the painting cameras, Senator Burrico separately filmed the deal because he was an idiot. We didn't expect that he had done so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I've had this game for quite a while and never once camped the stairs. Is it really that much better of an experience than playing with pubbies? I feel like I've gotten lucky because almost every pubbie group I join goes loud, and the one time I've gotten a stealth group they were actually really chill about me having no clue how to stealth.

e: also, to add to the person listing off good grinding missions, Four Stores Overkill is honestly pretty easy to speedrun for packages once you have an ECM.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 4, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I've had this game for quite a while and never once camped the stairs. Is it really that much better of an experience than playing with pubbies? I feel like I've gotten lucky because almost every pubbie group I join goes loud, and the one time I've gotten a stealth group they were actually really chill about me having no clue how to stealth.

e: also, to add to the person listing off good grinding missions, Four Stores Overkill is honestly pretty easy to speedrun for packages once you have an ECM.

Most people will say goons are just pubbies with microphones, and it's true. You've got some hardcore stealthers and you've got some hardcore DW-ers, then you've just got a decent group of people who can actually communicate when it comes to doing objectives. Communication makes a huge difference.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

And then you've got Vox.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Everyone is poo poo. But on mumble, you can be poo poo with communication, and every coop game is better when you can yell at your team and they can yell at you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd say the main advantage to playing with goons at this point is that there's a near zero chance that a goon will bust out a cheating as gently caress hack and ruin all the fun.

And I guess goons have the most basic aspects of lobby etiquette figured out too. Pubbies will pretty much never be consistently good at that.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Or they just kick you for regenerating health.

In other news, I've had the beagle less than a week and I've already got over a thousand kills with it - that thing is just brutal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love the loving beagle so much

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

John Murdoch posted:

I'd say the main advantage to playing with goons at this point is that there's a near zero chance that a goon will bust out a cheating as gently caress hack and ruin all the fun.

And I guess goons have the most basic aspects of lobby etiquette figured out too. Pubbies will pretty much never be consistently good at that.

This. As a person who does us a cheating-as-gently caress hack to make really god awful guns with unholy stats, I at least never use them or plan to use them in an actual multiplayer game. Sure, I got about three completely different vert grips at the same time on my ARs but none of them see actual usage.

However, I really want to use my Lightsaber Mosconi with you guys. :getin:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

dscruffy1 posted:

Most people will say goons are just pubbies with microphones, and it's true. You've got some hardcore stealthers and you've got some hardcore DW-ers, then you've just got a decent group of people who can actually communicate when it comes to doing objectives. Communication makes a huge difference.

And sometimes magic happens.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

DC height restrictions are to preserve historic traits of the city, not to prevent snipers.

We set up the cameras, they're just to help us sneak around the penthouse. The coke is the only illegal material that is in the penthouse when we arrive. The footage of the deal isn't from the painting cameras, Senator Burrico separately filmed the deal because he was an idiot. We didn't expect that he had done so.

We didn't but the Elephant might have, which means that his target was always removing the political rival by any means necessary. We clowns don't give a poo poo who we kill or what we do so long as there is a bigger Payday, but Elephant's goal in all of his jobs is some political gain.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Video could be argued to be a fake and could potentially even backfire on Elephant politically if the senator manages to frame it well enough and he could always claim that the gold is his piggy bank for rainy day.

But wheelbarrow of coke is harder to spin and with clowns stealing the gold, he's going to be hurting for cash.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Sticking to Overkill really speeds things up a LOT. I learned that lesson after my first infamy. It took a shitload of hours to get my first hundred, and now I'm casually waltzing through an infamy every third day even with sub-optimal runs and pubstoving.

Yeah ok, I'm past level 50 after a couple hours so nevermind everything I said before. Playing on higher difficulties from the get-go really makes a difference.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Vox and I were kvetching about this the other day - stealth is really more of a puzzle game than anything else. It's all about memorizing patrol patterns and patience. Which are not shooting cops, unfortunately. It's a completely different game and actually pretty chill, but not what most people are looking for.

And if you haven't had problems with pubbie groups, I have no idea how you're that lucky. My pubstove last night consisted of, in rough order:
- Hacker who activated all the scripts on Birth of Sky immediately, resulting in the SWAT turrets shooting us out of the sky while parachuting down
- Actual good heist
- Three 'Failed to join' errors in a row
- A host who had the hook for the winch in Golden Grin who went AFK for at least 10+ minutes (I arrived at 25m in to find him still AFK), preventing the heist from continuing
- A group of zero infamy newbies who were mostly using the JP36 and Compact-5 (who were actually good once they started listening and moving as a group instead of scattering everywhere)
- A good heist save for the one kid with a mic that sounded like he was 12, kept accusing the people with Inspire of hacking and went into custody three times before the other pubbies stopped trading for him
- Goons

I don't think I've pubstoved and gone three heists without at least one instance of 'Holy poo poo you goddamn retards' or other egregious bullshit. Pubbies are okay because there isn't always a goon group around, but they're a real dice roll and frequently end up terrible.

And nothing still beats Mallcrasher and Jewelry Store/Ukrainian Job for package-grabbing.

John Murdoch posted:

Well, we'll bust out cheating as gently caress hacks but it'll be funny poo poo like hyperspeed shield-dozers or exploding cloakers.

Elman posted:

Yeah ok, I'm past level 50 after a couple hours so nevermind everything I said before. Playing on higher difficulties from the get-go really makes a difference.

For later reference if you don't mind a touch of stealth, you can get to 50 again in like an hour solo pretty easily. DW Jewelry Store, DW Diamond Store, and I usually round it out with a DW Bank (Gold) or DW Ukrainian Job. All are totally viable to do without any help, are really low risk (Ukrainian is sometimes auto-fail since you end up with too many guards, and Diamond Store sometimes fucks you with the door placement) and at the end of it you're 50+. Get two level 0 guns, slap a team boost on them both, do Election Day stealth before you infamy for the bonus and it's cake.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

For later reference if you don't mind a touch of stealth, you can get to 50 again in like an hour solo pretty easily. DW Jewelry Store, DW Diamond Store, and I usually round it out with a DW Bank (Gold) or DW Ukrainian Job. All are totally viable to do without any help, are really low risk (Ukrainian is sometimes auto-fail since you end up with too many guards, and Diamond Store sometimes fucks you with the door placement) and at the end of it you're 50+. Get two level 0 guns, slap a team boost on them both, do Election Day stealth before you infamy for the bonus and it's cake.

Unless it's been patched, Diamond Store's gently caress you door removal is on hard and very hard only. Overkill missed a decimal place while adding probabilities for that event, and never went back to fix it.

vvv you're right- my bad.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

IIRC they fixed it a few months ago.