Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
What are you guys doing with gems? The soul armor isn't worth it nowadays (I've got the gold armor), so spend it all on chests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can I get a guild invite? (What is the benefit of being in a guild?) Name is AnonymousRobot

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

seravid posted:

What are you guys doing with gems? The soul armor isn't worth it nowadays (I've got the gold armor), so spend it all on chests?

If you already have the expensive armor, then yeah I'd just spend it on chests.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Can I get a guild invite? (What is the benefit of being in a guild?) Name is AnonymousRobot
Invited to Gem Blossums. The benefits are bonus daily gold, extra mastery for more mana surges, and free stuff from completed guild tasks. Devs have said they plan on adding more guild features in either the next patch or the one after that.

seravid posted:

I save until I have 450 then buy 50 gem chests. I don't think the event chests are worth the extra gems.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Filecabinet posted:

I downloaded this for PC the other day and I was lucky enough to pull Goblin Rocket, so I made the team suggested in the OP. I'm using a different blue-mana weapon, though.

Trip report:

Invading: 100 battles, 97 wins

Defending: 3 losses, 3 successful revenges

:getin:

Since I'm new and have nothing to compare it to, is the goblin rocket team the most OP poo poo ever, or should I be on the lookout for a different configuration in the future?

If you're a fan of goblin rockets, this weeks glory reward chest gives 2 red/yellow arcane traitstones. As an ultra-rare, the Goblin Rocket's trait unlocks look like this:
1. 14 Minor, 6+6 Major
2. 20 Minor, 8+8 Runic
3. 26 Minor, 8 Major, 3 Arcane

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

If you're a fan of goblin rockets, this weeks glory reward chest gives 2 red/yellow arcane traitstones. As an ultra-rare, the Goblin Rocket's trait unlocks look like this:
1. 14 Minor, 6+6 Major
2. 20 Minor, 8+8 Runic
3. 26 Minor, 8 Major, 3 Arcane

And if you don't have a Goblin Rocket, the weapon is a poor man's Rocket. Costs 2 more, and doesn't give an extra turn though, but the bigger downside is that it drops your overall health by 12 for the other three Zaejin troops from dropping the bonus from 4 units to 3. (+10 life to +6 life each)

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

RussianBear posted:

You may want to prioritize upgrading Darkstone. From the latest patch notes.

http://gemsofwar.com/baby-youre-a-firework/

I do not read patch notes. Holy crap. Yup, going to get me another +1 magic.

So, kingdom power level looks like it's crazy hard to get past a single gold star. I managed to get all kingdoms up to a silver and with another 5k souls I can get Zaejin up to 2 gold, but unless the next levels of that require a lot fewer points it's not possible to get the double stat bonus yet.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
From what I can tell, the kingdoms upgrade in power at 600, 1200, 1700, 2100?, 2400, and (I assume) 2600 points. I have confirmation of all but the 2100 and 2600 levels, but following that pattern makes me pretty confident that those are correct.

With 8 troops from each kingdom, you have 400 points in unique troop bonuses, 1600 points from getting them all to level 20, and then 600 points for all 24 traits at 25 points a pop. So 2600 points for all eight troops at mythic with all their traits unlocked.

And no, I've seen no reference to anyone making it that far yet. Most people seem to be struggling to figure out what to do (1) about all their extra major traitstones and insufficient minor traitstones, (2) to quickly whittle down the ~200 armor/life an all-Goblin team has at present, or (3) to deal with troops that have the True Shot trait.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Grundulum posted:

(2) to quickly whittle down the ~200 armor/life an all-Goblin team has at present,

I usually watch mine get devoured.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

ninguno posted:

I usually watch mine get devoured.

I usually bring my own OP goblin team and win due to having better artificial intelligence than my opponent.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

psivamp posted:

I usually bring my own OP goblin team and win due to having better artificial intelligence than my opponent.

This is an OP winning strat and should be nerfed imo.

Work up your own OP Gobbo team and annihilate all comers. I'm getting 2 defense victories and 3 losses a day, its p. great.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
It's not hard, just expensive. Just another target for whales.

I finally hit 450 gems and got the 50 gem chests. Managed to pull a giant spider, but Hobgoblin still eludes me. It is the only ultra rare I am missing. Also pulled enough Treants to ascension it.

What other teans are strong? My goblins and Valkyrie teams are maxed out until I get more troops and stones.

I faced a strong undead team. Grave Knight, Skeleton, Banshee, Wight. The Grave Knight and Skeleton had a trait to boost undead health by 2 each, which really helps a weakness innate to undead. 4x undead, 2x Khetar, 2x Ghoulvania bonuses. Extra purple from the Banshee trait too. 4x undead is +1 magic, too!

I made a Whitehelm elite team. Lady Sapphira, Moloch, Paladin, and Celestia. Everyone shares yellow for the bonus mastery. It plays mostly as a Sapphira beat down team. Celestia would be nice in the top spot too.

Whitehelm Divines combine some nice bonuses as well. Archon, Priestess, Paladin, whatever. Valkyrie might be worth it for the 2 health trait.

Dwarves can stack some nice bonuses, but their abilities are lackluster. Explode a gem, destroy a gem... Meh. Dwarf Lord is quite strong. High damage and easy to power up. It might be worth using him with the Bombardier, Dwarven Miner, and either Keghammer or Sparkgrinder. Mine own dwarves are all level 1, so I can't confirm.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

There are a few teams I would like to try out except it takes so many souls to level them up. The only decent source of souls now is doing challenges on Warlord IV difficulty, and there are only so many challenges for the one-time reward.

Constructs:
Flame Cannon
Blast Cannon
Carnex
Deep Borer

All red for +25 mastery, +10 armor, +2 life, and some interesting traits. Would probably be destroyed by True Shot centaurs.

Wildfolk:
Centaur Scout (if you can't beat them, join them)
Shadow Hunter
Satyr/Blade Dancer/Ranger
Ragnagord

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

gromdul posted:

I finally hit 450 gems and got the 50 gem chests. Managed to pull a giant spider, but Hobgoblin still eludes me. It is the only ultra rare I am missing.

When I complained about this earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that you can just run arena until you get him and buy the troops at the end. It took about 10 tries, but if you win two matches and retire it saves time and you don't lose gold. I believe you have to win 8 matches to be offered the troop purchase at the end though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
hey I have a friend who is super active but not a goon, can he get an invite? JNIGHTHAWK is his invite code.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
that new rocket reward is pretty sweet with that burning attribute

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Yeah, everything else about it is inferior to Goblin Rocket though. But throwing out sick burns with it is pretty nice.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

duckfarts posted:

it's pretty neat for someone who doesn't have the OP goblin team yet.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Coffeehitler posted:

Yeah, everything else about it is inferior to Goblin Rocket though. But throwing out sick burns with it is pretty nice.

was pretty handy in arena

Sigma-X posted:

it's pretty neat for someone who doesn't have the OP goblin team yet.
well, yeah :smith:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

duckfarts posted:

was pretty handy in arena

well, yeah :smith:

I"m right there with ya buddy

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
True Shot Centaur Scout looks nice, but drat that's a lot of trait stones. And souls to level it up. You speak as if this team is ubiquitous, but I don't recall ever fighting it. I do skip most of my matches is they fall beneath a certain reward threshold. This week I've been using my free scouts more, since any amount of rewards is worth it if the defender is just the hero with a club. There are a lot of goblin teams.

I lost a match to a defending team that had an average attack of 19 or so. It was brutal, and one of those unlucky matches where I kept accidentally creating skull matches with the random drops. The attack must have been from kingdom bonuses. The troops themselves weren't that exceptional.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RussianBear posted:

You may want to prioritize upgrading Darkstone. From the latest patch notes.

http://gemsofwar.com/baby-youre-a-firework/

By the way, I want to announce that I totally called this (the 20th kingdom having a bonus to magic) back before Darkstone was unveiled. I'm counting this as me being right even though I was wrong for several weeks in between. :colbert:

How much money is it to get to VIP level 3 again? I am seriously considering spending my way to free scouting just so I can choose PVP battles that aren't exhausting.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grundulum posted:

By the way, I want to announce that I totally called this (the 20th kingdom having a bonus to magic) back before Darkstone was unveiled. I'm counting this as me being right even though I was wrong for several weeks in between. :colbert:

How much money is it to get to VIP level 3 again? I am seriously considering spending my way to free scouting just so I can choose PVP battles that aren't exhausting.

I bought the first two newbie packs and a blew a few google bucks on gems, and I am level 3. I'd say its somewhere around $35.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

This is an OP winning strat and should be nerfed imo.

Work up your own OP Gobbo team and annihilate all comers. I'm getting 2 defense victories and 3 losses a day, its p. great.

Got wrecked by a Gobbo team with 3 mythics but it was a near thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What are these trophies that I'm getting from PVP now? Also, I'm getting close to unlocking a trait on one of my troops, but do I get to choose which one, or does it just unlock the first one? Because the first trait is worthless trash but the second one is pretty amazing.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

psivamp posted:

Got wrecked by a Gobbo team with 3 mythics but it was a near thing.

It does look like mythic level Gobbo teams are the OP team at the moment. And if I run into one, I'll go a couple turns and if I'm not getting anywhere on it I'll just close out.

I bought 10 Gem Chests and got another Hobgoblin and Goblin Rocket. All in all a good day.

Anonymous Robot posted:

What are these trophies that I'm getting from PVP now? Also, I'm getting close to unlocking a trait on one of my troops, but do I get to choose which one, or does it just unlock the first one? Because the first trait is worthless trash but the second one is pretty amazing.

Trophies help your Guild Ranking, so they're pretty much meaningless unless that matters to you. Traits unlock in order.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Bandire posted:

I bought the first two newbie packs and a blew a few google bucks on gems, and I am level 3. I'd say its somewhere around $35.
Yeah it is around $30. I have done the 15 gems/day for 15 days twice and that $10 brought me to VIP 2. VIP 2 -> 3 is twice as many points so $20.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I was reading the official forums and learned that you can get traitstone drops from doing challenges, and they're keyed to the color(s) associated with that kingdom. So if you're trying to farm up particular stones, this is probably the best way to get them.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Rolled a 2nd Goblin Rocket and I've been messing with this team (different weapon though):
http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/goblin-rocket-a-guide-for-invading/314

It's crazy fun. I'm not sure if it's better than a standard goblin one, but drat if it isn't fun when you get in an infinite loop.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Davethulhu posted:

I was reading the official forums and learned that you can get traitstone drops from doing challenges, and they're keyed to the color(s) associated with that kingdom. So if you're trying to farm up particular stones, this is probably the best way to get them.

Wait, so to get the damned Runic Magic stone I can go to a magic kingdom and do quests? drat - I think I've been waiting for that for a lifetime.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

porktree posted:

Wait, so to get the damned Runic Magic stone I can go to a magic kingdom and do quests? drat - I think I've been waiting for that for a lifetime.

Dunno about quests, I finished all of mine, but challenges definitely give traitstone rewards. Note that the challenge enemies are buffed if you haven't done a challenge since 1.0.8 dropped, the ones I were fighting were common with all traits unlocked and uncommon with 2 unlocked..

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Davethulhu posted:

Dunno about quests, I finished all of mine, but challenges definitely give traitstone rewards. Note that the challenge enemies are buffed if you haven't done a challenge since 1.0.8 dropped, the ones I were fighting were common with all traits unlocked and uncommon with 2 unlocked..

I mis-typed, I meant challenges. And I've done 15 in Ghulvania and got a bunch of traitstones, but still no damned Rune Magic traitstone. Feel the grind ;)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just want a reliable way for Arcane trait stones. I've gotten one and it's for a color combo I don't use. The lower levels are coming steadily enough from chests for me.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

porktree posted:

I mis-typed, I meant challenges. And I've done 15 in Ghulvania and got a bunch of traitstones, but still no damned Rune Magic traitstone. Feel the grind ;)
If you want magic stones, you should do Karakoth according to this kingdom guide. Ghulvania gives both fire and magic.

Runic and Arcane stones from challenges are really drat rare. I've finished the challenges for several kingdoms this week for souls and have only gotten one Arcane stone.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
now do one with all the pets and their abilities and mana colors

(this is the biggest barrier to changing teams for me, i can't be bothered to stick the the phone in my face and slowly scroll through all of them to see what they do)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Get the Steam version and sync your account then do all the management crap on your monitor with mouse and keyboard.

Edit: The War on Goblins continues.

quote:

It’s important to set goals in life. Gob-Chomper’s goal is to eat a Goblin King.
Addiction is a terrible thing, but in some cases, like Gob-Chomper, it serves the greater good. It all started when he chomped his first Goblin at the tender age of 3-and-a-half. That was Gob-Chomper’s age by the way, we’re not sure how old his first snack was, and it certainly wasn’t in any shape to tell us, as he devoured the rest of it in short order.
As Gob-Chomper grew, his tastes matured a little… he found that most Marauders were quite tasty, but he never forgot how those Goblins tasted… Fizzy Goblins (Shaman) and Goblins with Bacon (Boar Riders) were his favorite; in a pinch, even a Hobgoblin might do (though they tasted a little gamey).
But Gob-Chomper has kept this secret pleasure to himself for far too long. This week he’s making an appearance to share the joy of Goblin Chomping with all the adventurers in Krystara. Help him find that Goblin King!
His spell is "Deal 11 damage (at level 15) to an enemy and double damage if they are a Monster. Gain 5 Life. There is also a 40% chance to Devour Marauders."

Traits
Marauder Slayer: Deal double Skull damage versus Marauders.
Big: Gain 1 Life on 4 and 5 gem matches.
Empowered: Starts battles with full Mana.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 11, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Been having a lot of luck with an all-goblin team, particularly since I had the good fortune to draw a Dark Song and a Hobgoblin, but I'm thinking about changing it up. Maybe a machine team headed by Tinkmaster, or an undead team? The starter zone guy (Luther?) that gives all allies 3 attack seems really strong too. Any suggestions for teams with good synergies?

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Anonymous Robot posted:

Been having a lot of luck with an all-goblin team, particularly since I had the good fortune to draw a Dark Song and a Hobgoblin, but I'm thinking about changing it up. Maybe a machine team headed by Tinkmaster, or an undead team? The starter zone guy (Luther?) that gives all allies 3 attack seems really strong too. Any suggestions for teams with good synergies?
Sooner or later I'd do a team around Alchemist/Valkyrie.. Gives you extra gold and souls, just combine them with some damage and go to town. I've gone through several variants so far, starting with a druid and some weapon and then varying it more and more as I unlocked more stuff. At first I only used it on challenges and quests to make up for the gold costs, but my current iteration actually works well enough that I use it for PVP, too. Currently going Boar Rider/Anointed One (blue/red, turning greens to health/attack)/Alchemist/Valkyrie. With these, once I get going, I seldom even have to stop, it's just so ridiculously easy to clear the whole field. And after 1-2 uses, Anointed One gets ridiculously tanky and just oneshots people.

Problem with all these "+x" skills is that they take quite some time to actually get going. +Attack is actually worst in this, as you are only using one guy's attack at a time. Unless you have some disposable tanky units in the first slots, you will be probably be down enough troops to not make it worthwhile anymore, especially since you still have to get those skulls. Skeleton can be nice for that, of course, but I think it actually overlaps with Luther (don't really remember his color).

I'm not really a pro though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Still haven't found anything better than Gorgotha, Keeper of Souls, Alchemist, Green Slime. No bonuses at all, but it's very fast and lucrative. Do a little prep work with Al and Slime so Keeper can transform pretty much the entire board into skulls. He'll one-shot anyone and, after you've exhausted the 4- and 5- matches - assuming anyone is still standing - just have Gorgotha explode the board to clear any stray skulls (18 damage is the best I've got so far) and provide gems to get the cycle going again.