Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hitler B. Natural posted:

There aren't many people in this country for whom I feel genuine, unrelieved hatred. One is Kelvin Mackenzie.

they were probably more concerned about him smuggling in drugs to the country as he certainly fits the profile of someone who would try to sneak in a cheeky gram or two of coke for a boat party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JFairfax posted:

they were probably more concerned about him smuggling in drugs to the country as he certainly fits the profile of someone who would try to sneak in a cheeky gram or two of coke for a boat party

no but he's not talking about cocaine he's talking about real crimes, you know, like the muslims do

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shut up, Pissflaps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Who likes polls? We like polls!

Interesting to see the drop in enthusiasm for Osbourne, I wonder how it'd fare with him in the public eye more often.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nothing to seehere posted:

How did arguing if 0.999999... = 1 even become a thread? The airplane-treadmill thing at least has some complex engineering in it, but the proof for why 0.99999... = 1 is so simple we were taught it in year 8, and I'm pretty sure its in IGCSE maths, if not GCSE.
I have a feeling it may have been a post in a 'weird mathematical / logic problems' thread or something like that. I have a vague memory of it including things like the blue eyes puzzle as well. But yea, I think it spiralled out of control because the answer is blatantly, plainly obvious to both sides for different reasons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Holy loving poo poo. How is this not outright racism. Like not hidden at all.
He's just telling the uncomfortable truth that he's a racist.

Angepain posted:

no but he's not talking about cocaine he's talking about real crimes, you know, like the muslims do
Well cocaine wouldn't be a real crime if it weren't for the criminalization of the production network, whereas I'm hard pressed to think of anything ethical you could do with explosives on a plane no matter how fair trade the ingredients were.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

LemonDrizzle posted:

Who likes polls? We like polls!

You forgot to include this for some reason:

quote:

EU referendum poll:
Remain: 41% (-)
Leave: 42% (+1)
(via YouGov)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The problem is the Blairites spent the last 6 months gladly helping the media demonise Corbyn which is not necessarily going to convince his supporters that being left wing is inherently unpopular and maybe they should just listen to the grown-ups next time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

Interesting to see the drop in enthusiasm for Osbourne, I wonder how it'd fare with him in the public eye more often.

presumably if he becomes the next leader it gets left really late so there isn't much time for the public to see that he's a robot

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

dispatch_async posted:

Uggghhhh

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Funny how MacKenzie seems to have forgotten his own paper's million articles on Samantha Lewthwaite after the Nairobi attacks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

dispatch_async posted:

Britain leaving the EU is now what excites me politically! A massive act of horrible accelerationism that will at least utterly gently caress the status quo. And ruin more lives but hey you gotta break a few eggs to make a really stupid loving meal full of eggshells and hate and piss.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

dispatch_async posted:

The reason is that I hadn't seen that result when I made my post, and I have not yet built a time machine that does anything more interesting than move into the future at a rate of 60 seconds per minute.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Brutal polling figures.

Edit: beaten like Corbyn at the next election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Britain leaving the EU is now what excites me politically! A massive act of horrible accelerationism that will at least utterly gently caress the status quo. And ruin more lives but hey you gotta break a few eggs to make a really stupid loving meal full of eggshells and hate and piss.
Hopefully most of the lives that it ruins will be careerists in Brussels and Westminster and ordinary folk will be no more hosed than they currently are under the current government and hopefully less hosed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's ok. I've come to accept that we're getting a Tory government in 2020. I'm just existing on negative feelings and hoping the chaos is really entertaining.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

Shut up, Pissflaps.

Can ye no read?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Pissflaps is a memetic cognito-hazard that can infect and manifest in anyone.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

quote:

Best party to handle immigration:
UKIP: 29%
CON: 24%
LAB: 15%
LDEM: 5%
(via YouGov)

Clearly Labour need to adopt UKIP immigration policy. That's how this works isn't it?

Seems like pissflaps also overlooked the EU referendum poll for some reason

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dispatch_async posted:

Clearly Labour need to adopt UKIP immigration policy. That's how this works isn't it?

What do you think the reason is?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Glad that's settled, this country is a hate filled piss balloon and doing anything to change that will just result in getting piss all over everything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What he actually said to the Telegraph reporter was

http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...m_campaign=i100

Which the reporter has decided to interpret as Corbyn "ignoring" it.

It just shows, yet again, that it doesn't matter what he does (or doesn't) do, he will not get fair treatment from most of the press, and I'm frankly surprised that otherwise sensible people here are still falling for it.

If you say you're going to answer it later, and then walk off without answering it, thats shooting yourself in the foot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glad that's settled, this country is a hate filled piss balloon and doing anything to change that will just result in getting piss all over everything.

Agreed. I'm also going to take my ball and go home with it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

My home is located in the piss balloon.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

dispatch_async posted:

No, the way it works is that you look at the data and conclude that either Labour's strategies on immigration will never play well with the general public or it is not doing a very good job of presenting them.

Also, re: EU referendum polling, there's an interesting split between online-only and phone polling: online pollsters show a close race with a slight edge for remain, while phone pollsters show remain having a decisive double digit lead. My expectation is that remain will carry it quite comfortably - Cameron appears to be doing better with his negotiations than I'd expected him to, and if he comes back with this three year deal on migrant benefits then that should be enough to carry the soft eurosceptics.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

When the only real answer appears to be "be more like the other side" then there really is no point. This isn't a sport. There is absolutely no point in two right wing parties.

Either the country is so virulently right wing that nothing can be done (other than move your party to the right, again no point) or the people who aren't Tories simply don't vote for some reason.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.
Boris and Corbyn as opposing party leaders would be amazing, custard pie fights at PMQs!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

My home is located in the piss balloon.
Bursting the piss balloon could have disastrous effects on house prices.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

No, the way it works is that you look at the data and conclude that either Labour's strategies on immigration will never play well with the general public or it is not doing a very good job of presenting them.

Also, re: EU referendum polling, there's an interesting split between online-only and phone polling: online pollsters show a close race with a slight edge for remain, while phone pollsters show remain having a decisive double digit lead. My expectation is that remain will carry it quite comfortably - Cameron appears to be doing better with his negotiations than I'd expected him to, and if he comes back with this three year deal on migrant benefits then that should be enough to carry the soft eurosceptics.

It will all come down to whether he can the migrant benefits stuff done, if so he shouldn't have too many problems. Thing is, Cameron is horrible at any foreign affairs or diplomatic matters, so he could easily balls this up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

baka kaba posted:

So 4pm is the junior doctor negotiations deadline. All the articles talk about how compromises have been reached, but the remaining sticking points seem to be... uh, the main ones. Any insiders want to share what's going on and if strikes are probably going ahead?

BMA verdict: we're still all hosed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35225918

I've not yet got the relatively inside scoop which I'm afforded by my sister being a junior doctor, but to no-one's surprise the strike is back on, at a worse time for it to happen, and doubly annoying for me in particular, at a time I can't take time off from work to go out in support D: I'm hoping I'll be able to make it out for the February date, but this is the single worst possible time for me :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of sandwiches are halal so I know what I can take down to my GP if the strike is on here?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

If you say you're going to answer it later, and then walk off without answering it, thats shooting yourself in the foot.

It really isn't though, he was at a demonstration about rail fares, he wanted to talk about rail fares and said he'd answer later about unrelated things. Do you trust the Telegraph to print an amendment to their piece to incorporate his answer (if he's given it yet)? I certainly don't, because the damage has been done already, by them, not him.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
So David Cameron's latest EU negotiation strategy is to antagonise Russia further, rather than actually show some leadership over his own party and tell his backbenchers to STFU?

Wonderful. There's absolutely no way that could possibly go badly is there?

I can imagine the headlines if it was Corbyn showing so little control over his own party (and those, for that matter, if he did try to tell them to pipe down).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What kind of sandwiches are halal so I know what I can take down to my GP if the strike is on here?
Any vegetarian sandwiches. Any meat sandwiches with a halal sign on. Any chicken sandwiches depending on how seriously they take it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I assume a chicken sarnie with salad is fine if I make it myself with proper chicken? No buying special plates for it like kosher or anything?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are triangle sandwiches Halal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Are triangle sandwiches Halal?

Very Haram I think.

E: Or at least they will be in islamocommunist Britain.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, whatever you may think of Corbyn, you must surely acknowledge that his tactics over this reshuffle have been abysmally bad. He started out with possibly the single most perfect issue with which to go after the Tories and push his anti-austerity narrative - they cut spending on flood defences heavily during the coalition and relaxed rural land use regulations in a way that increased the likelihood of severe flooding downstream - they literally helped to submerge northern England in order to save a few pennies and help their friends who own grouse moors. loving grouse moors! If they'd come out of the gates with a concerted attack on that issue, they could've been forcing the Tories to explain how saving a few quid and making sure that Tarquin and Jocasta can have a jolly good time blazing away at some dumb birds was more important than preventing York from flooding. But no, that would be too easy so we start the day with a big fuss about the cost of train tickets. I mean, OK, it's an issue, but it's just orders of magnitude less potent than "you're so blindly devoted to your cuts that you loving let Manchester flood you stupid bastards". Then, having basically given the Tories a free pass, we knock our own campaign off the front pages by conducting a reshuffle so now the story is all about ructions within the party and.... aaaskildhfnqskwgrt vfkafcdnasncv asd aqaaaargh.

OwlFancier posted:

Anything veggie should be fine, shouldn't it? Things like cheese and pickle or egg mayo ought to be OK for pretty much anybody.

Also, more cheerfully, EU referendum polling to date:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

So I assume a chicken sarnie with salad is fine if I make it myself with proper chicken? No buying special plates for it like kosher or anything?

I'm pretty sure you have to buy halal chicken to be sure; how they are slaughtered matters.

But it's probably worth finding out from local doctors what's happening; your presence at a GP would likely be appreciated, but most areas will likely be doing some kind of big central protest, because you don't get much return out of the single junior doctor who works at an individual GP surgery standing outside with one placard. Your presence would probably be much more appreciated there, and if people want to know where to find out what protests are happening locally to them, if you PM me I'll do my best to find out for you.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, whatever you may think of Corbyn, you must surely acknowledge that his tactics over this reshuffle have been abysmally bad. He started out with possibly the single most perfect issue with which to go after the Tories and push his anti-austerity narrative - they cut spending on flood defences heavily during the coalition and relaxed rural land use regulations in a way that increased the likelihood of severe flooding downstream - they literally helped to submerge northern England in order to save a few pennies and help their friends who own grouse moors. loving grouse moors! If they'd come out of the gates with a concerted attack on that issue, they could've been forcing the Tories to explain how saving a few quid and making sure that Tarquin and Jocasta can have a jolly good time blazing away at some dumb birds was more important than preventing York from flooding. But no, that would be too easy so we start the day with a big fuss about the cost of train tickets. I mean, OK, it's an issue, but it's just orders of magnitude less potent than "you're so blindly devoted to your cuts that you loving let Manchester flood you stupid bastards". Then, having basically given the Tories a free pass, we knock our own campaign off the front pages by conducting a reshuffle so now the story is all about ructions within the party and.... aaaskildhfnqskwgrt vfkafcdnasncv asd aqaaaargh.[/timg]

His handling of the reshuffle thing has been terrible in that basically all the press has been from unnamed sources and 'Corbyn allies' and seems to be virtually entirely spin, even now. I concur that Labour missed a big opportunity on the flooding, but conversely, it's not like ANY of the major news outlets would have carried the story in good faith anyway so

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There's no separation of milk and meat like in kosher. Poultry is supposed to be killed in a halal fashion, which can vary between "exactly the same as normal but they say a prayer at some point" like what most of the halal fried chicken shacks use to more complicated methods.

Islam has provisions for graciously accepting food when you are a guest though, so as long as you're not going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat you have more leeway as a non-Muslim when preparing food.

• Locked thread