Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Didn't retail version of Duke3D came with an advertisement for guidebook for Build editor?

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Nukem-Level-Design-Handbook-Games/dp/0782118690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's it. I don't remember an ad for it though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

Remember: Doom editors were less intuitive at the time. We're spoiled now.

Eh I don't really think so. They were pretty decent by the time Duke 3D was around in 1996. A lot of things were tedious chores to do, but they were intuitive. Kinda like washing a stack of dishes that are barely dirty - easy as hell, but time consuming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In case anyone's interested, today, James and Mike play Killing Time on 3DO. They even mention Brutal Doom. As usual, James has no clue what it is. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SWXlNpydf8

James and Mike are a loving treasure. I want to see that playthrough of Brutal Doom, James would so be into it.

Here's a video from two 3D0 employees talking about the development of Killing Time, some of the challenges behind it, and what a mess the system was. They usually get pretty low-level, it's cool stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1n9QtMBMY

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
This might be a weird question but with all this editor talk: does anyone know if there are any general purpose 2.5D editors (think like tiled) available somewhere? I'm thinking of making a little old school style FPS and 2.5D mapping is a lot easier than full 3D.

It's possible to use the formats for BUILD or Doom, but since the editors are pretty much tied to those engines it seems like a hassle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, is the Portal 2 level editor REALLY as simple as it seems? Like 'baby's first level editor'?

EDIT: :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL78w7ovadI

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 4, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

netcat posted:

This might be a weird question but with all this editor talk: does anyone know if there are any general purpose 2.5D editors (think like tiled) available somewhere? I'm thinking of making a little old school style FPS and 2.5D mapping is a lot easier than full 3D.

It's possible to use the formats for BUILD or Doom, but since the editors are pretty much tied to those engines it seems like a hassle.

I don't think so. It would have to be tied to your engine constraints. I haven't done actual 2.5D engine programming other than building a simple tile-based raycaster though.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think so. It would have to be tied to your engine constraints. I haven't done actual 2.5D engine programming other than building a simple tile-based raycaster though.

It's probably not too hard to make one but it's not the most fun thing to do. I mostly want something that can place vertices and connect them into polygons and then I could postprocess it myself to create sectors/portals/whatever. Maybe I can hack together something from the Doom Builder source...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up Gloome and start working on already avaiable tools though?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

laserghost posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up Gloome and start working on already avaiable tools though?

Sure, but where's the fun in that??

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Hey, is the Portal 2 level editor REALLY as simple as it seems? Like 'baby's first level editor'?

Yeah, it's completely WYSIWYG. It's pretty nice actually.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

netcat posted:

It's probably not too hard to make one but it's not the most fun thing to do. I mostly want something that can place vertices and connect them into polygons and then I could postprocess it myself to create sectors/portals/whatever. Maybe I can hack together something from the Doom Builder source...
When I was messing with a ray caster engine a few months ago I would have found a use for a generic 2.5D editor as well. It's easy to add enough features to an engine that defining a level through ASCII-art is a total pain. I never got into actual sectors though, so maybe that tiling map editor can be shoehorned into something useable.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah, it's completely WYSIWYG. It's pretty nice actually.

Also it can import more complicated bits made using Hammer.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BattleMaster posted:

I rewrote Quake II's monster targeting logic to search all entities for valid targets instead of just clients. I also added friendly and neutral factions. Enemy monsters (the default) will attack friendly monsters and vice versa, while neutral monsters (like the insane marines) will ignore and be ignored by everyone. The logic is almost entirely unchanged except that I still need to add in monsters being woken up by seeing allied monsters wake up. Also, monsters don't create sound entities meaning monsters (enemy and friendly) will be deaf to monsters. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with fixing that because it could result in a huge number of entities being created.

I also added friendly marines with shotguns and 8 skin choices. They're not perfect but they fight monsters just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHSm_yuhRI

I just remembered this - are you working on this and targeting to release as a mod? It could be fun going through levels with buddy marines. Q1 bots were great for such things, I've been recently toying with an old version of Reaperbot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

I just remembered this - are you working on this and targeting to release as a mod? It could be fun going through levels with buddy marines. Q1 bots were great for such things, I've been recently toying with an old version of Reaperbot.

In my head I want to make a totally cool single player mod but I'm garbage at anything except programming so that's probably not going to go anywhere. However, if I manage to work out a bunch of the wonkiness and finish the planned AI enhancements I'll release it.

Since I posted I decided to make monsters (friendly and enemy) spawn sounds and react to them but there's some weird behaviour I need to work out such as if monsters hear repeated sounds they'll stand still and do double-takes. It could be that this happened in the original code but you never saw it happen because they were always behind walls at the time. Once that's done and fixed I'd also like to add a use-key that can let marines flagged a certain way follow/stop following you like NPCs in Half-Life; that should actually be a lot easier than the stuff I've done before but I don't want to work on new features yet.

After that I am going to see if any of the bot mods are open-source so I can look at or use (if permitted) pathing code since stock Quake 2 actually has nothing in that regard and I'm not really qualified to design anything like that myself. Once that's in, I think I'd have something worth releasing after I put in a console command for spawning marines at will. They wouldn't be full-on co-op bots because I'm making no attempt to simulate clients; they're just monsters that look like marines and are flagged as friendly.

Also, another feature I've added and just need to pretty up is the game keeping track of all kills and secrets across a level unit. It displays a scoreboard during an end of unit intermission showing the results. The scoreboard needs to be made nicer and maybe in a co-op game include a list of players and their personal contribution to those numbers. The hard part was actually finding a good way to record all that information because I was running into double-dipping of the total when loading savegames or revisiting levels (which is a special case of loading savegames). My hacky solution was to subtract the current level's monster totals from the unit total after loading a savegame but I might make a proper solution to make counting more types of stats easier.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the context for this? I thought it might be indicating that ZDoom's work-in-progress portal builds now adjusted monster AI to account for them (which would be a pretty big deal), but recent (as-of-writing) posts in its thread don't indicate anything of the sort.

Of course, the portals in question also appear to be the existing plane-based ones instead of linedef-based ones, so maybe it's something related to that?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BattleMaster posted:

In my head I want to make a totally cool single player mod but I'm garbage at anything except programming so that's probably not going to go anywhere. However, if I manage to work out a bunch of the wonkiness and finish the planned AI enhancements I'll release it.

Since I posted I decided to make monsters (friendly and enemy) spawn sounds and react to them but there's some weird behaviour I need to work out such as if monsters hear repeated sounds they'll stand still and do double-takes. It could be that this happened in the original code but you never saw it happen because they were always behind walls at the time. Once that's done and fixed I'd also like to add a use-key that can let marines flagged a certain way follow/stop following you like NPCs in Half-Life; that should actually be a lot easier than the stuff I've done before but I don't want to work on new features yet.

After that I am going to see if any of the bot mods are open-source so I can look at or use (if permitted) pathing code since stock Quake 2 actually has nothing in that regard and I'm not really qualified to design anything like that myself. Once that's in, I think I'd have something worth releasing after I put in a console command for spawning marines at will. They wouldn't be full-on co-op bots because I'm making no attempt to simulate clients; they're just monsters that look like marines and are flagged as friendly.

Also, another feature I've added and just need to pretty up is the game keeping track of all kills and secrets across a level unit. It displays a scoreboard during an end of unit intermission showing the results. The scoreboard needs to be made nicer and maybe in a co-op game include a list of players and their personal contribution to those numbers. The hard part was actually finding a good way to record all that information because I was running into double-dipping of the total when loading savegames or revisiting levels (which is a special case of loading savegames). My hacky solution was to subtract the current level's monster totals from the unit total after loading a savegame but I might make a proper solution to make counting more types of stats easier.

That could be a basis for a cool invasion style mod with some reworking. I always liked the idea of helper AI which could fight on it's own. Too bad there's basically no work being done on Q2 modding-wise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the context for this? I thought it might be indicating that ZDoom's work-in-progress portal builds now adjusted monster AI to account for them (which would be a pretty big deal), but recent (as-of-writing) posts in its thread don't indicate anything of the sort.

Of course, the portals in question also appear to be the existing plane-based ones instead of linedef-based ones, so maybe it's something related to that?

Not ZDoom

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Please tell me that this -> https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/684093836730216449 isn't talking about Demonsteele.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, that'd explain that.

Never really used Eternity, though I've heard its portals are very impressive.

Please tell me that this -> https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/684093836730216449 isn't talking about Demonsteele.
Considering whatever mod that quote refers to didn't win a Cacoward and Demonsteele did, I can only assume not.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

That could be a basis for a cool invasion style mod with some reworking. I always liked the idea of helper AI which could fight on it's own. Too bad there's basically no work being done on Q2 modding-wise.

I had never thought of an invasion-type mod but that's actually a really good idea. It would be less intensive to map for than a traditional single player/co-op mod and if anything Quake 2 has cool monsters. I haven't looked at the multiplayer side of the code at all but if I get stumped I can look at what CTF does to add a new game mode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So is this the first time that Brutal Doom actually includes original levels to play as well? I love TCs and gameplay twists, but its hard to find a good levelset to match with them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Ah, that'd explain that.

Never really used Eternity, though I've heard its portals are very impressive.
Considering whatever mod that quote refers to didn't win a Cacoward and Demonsteele did, I can only assume not.

Ah, yeah... that.... that would make sense. Sorry Term! :ohdear:

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
a good buddy of mine shared this with me:

WADS of WADS

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

newmans_owned posted:

WADS of WADS
I'm reminded of Maes's attempts to explain how Doom Guy worked.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

newmans_owned posted:

WADS of WADS

I'm pretty sure thats was Sgt. Shivers avatar for a while:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

newmans_owned posted:

WADS of WADS

Haha his hat has IDKFA on it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What's the wad with the screamy anime memes

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

hdoom?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

So is this the first time that Brutal Doom actually includes original levels to play as well? I love TCs and gameplay twists, but its hard to find a good levelset to match with them.

They suck though. I saw Tarnsman's playthrough and was amazed by how bad they were. Some were evem taken straight from FreeDoom.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

lets hang out posted:

What's the wad with the screamy anime memes

Do you mean this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

I've been working on an Invasion mod since your post because you inspired me. Adding new game modes to Quake 2 is actually braindead easy.

It's a subset of co-op so you have to set "coop" and "invasion" cvars to 1 for it to kick in. The map also needs to have info_invasion_spawn entities placed.

If those conditions are met, the game waits for all players to ready up (toggled with a new console command, "ready") and then begins a countdown (configurable by cvar). When the countdown is up, monsters spawn at each of the spawnpoints. When all monsters are killed, the game announces it and begins a countdown 5 seconds later where it repeats. Health, ammo, and armour respawn. Monsters are worth different numbers of points depending on the type.

To do list: Allow more than one monster to spawn per spawn point with a slightly randomized location (radius set in editor?), make monsters leave the spawn points and approach a set point on the map if they don't immediately see a target, no pickups/shooting until the game starts, escalating number and difficulty of monsters, kick players into spectator if they die and only allow them to respawn during a countdown, game over condition when all players are dead

It's all pretty simple stuff but I can see it being pretty fun when complete especially with good maps and even more types of monsters added.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

They suck though. I saw Tarnsman's playthrough and was amazed by how bad they were. Some were evem taken straight from FreeDoom.

but dominic white liked them

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

When do upgrade kits show up in Project Brutality? I played through all of DTWID Lost Episodes and didn't see a single one.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Woolie Wool posted:

When do upgrade kits show up in Project Brutality? I played through all of DTWID Lost Episodes and didn't see a single one.

Teir 3 and 4, but the RNG can really screw you over on your the kits popping up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Woolie Wool posted:

I believe they randomly take the place of backpacks so if there is only a few of them the odds are already stacked against you but when they do show up....:hellyeah:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PB could use some sort of RPG system at least towards the end of the dynamic progression tree, just to make the hugely beefed up monsters easier to deal with in tiers 3 and 4.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One thing I've been noticing playing through the Brutal Doom campaign is how BD commits Doom sacrilege by making the Super Shotgun feel next to useless compared to the classic. Upping the pellet count to ten on the single shotgun combined with the ability put most of them in the head of bigger monsters turns the thing into a mid-range monster. By comparison, the SSG deals a little more damage point-blank but the increased lethality of monsters up close makes it that much riskier to go sticking your boomstick into something's gut. Plus I gotta say the shotgun sound effects and the way it tends to dismantle anything smaller than a Baron in short order make it incredibly satisfying.

I've been noclipping like a cheating son of a bitch to get through some of these levels, though. There's way too many unintuitive jumping puzzles to reach a keycard, I typically get fed up after ten minutes of trying to land a jump and just idclip up onto wherever I was aiming.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm done most of the features that I think need to be done in an invasion-style mod and I just need to tweak and polish it. The only thing I'm having trouble with are handling player deaths. Because the mod is a special case of co-op, there's no spectator mode and the code does its best to inhibit becoming a spectator out of deathmatch, so I might need to put in a bunch of special exceptions in various places. My solution right now is to prevent respawn during a wave so the dead players just sit around as corpses.

The pathfinding in Quake 2 is essentially nonexistent so I'm simulating it by allowing path_corner (patrol route) chains from spawnpoints that enemies will follow until they aggro. I also greatly increased the size of path_corners but only while in invasion mode to prevent traffic jams when lots of monsters spawn.

I've changed the spawn logic so it cycles through spawnpoints in order and spawns enemies at a random radius ant a random angle around it, with clipping testing to make sure there's no overlap. I haven't seen enemies spawning inside each other and it can get pretty hectic in later waves. The number of enemies spawning per wave increases by 3 per wave, but that's subject to tweaking. Spawn probabilities of enemy groups (easy, medium, and hard enemies) can be changed by CVAR and defaults to 100%, 25%, and 5% respectively (for every enemy, it rolls in order of hard, medium, and then easy; if all of them are less than 100% then there's a chance nothing will spawn). The waves that they start appearing can be changed too, defaulting to 1, 3, and 6 respectively.

I added an entity that triggers when a specified wave starts, which can do things like open up new paths or open up armouries with better weapons. Also, since it's co-op all of the single player stuff like destroyable objects are present, which should open up possibilities for dynamic maps.

To-do:
Put in proper spectator mode and lose conditions
Allow changing in the map editor of spawnpoint radii
Allow spawnpoints to start working only after a certain number of waves (for new monster routes opening up)
Finish custom F1 status menu (shows a bunch of stats, normal scoreboard still available)
Find out if Medic enemies break the poo poo out of the game logic

Maybe:
An objective to defend?
Add expansion pack monsters
Show some stats on HUD

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Has anyone given System Shock Infinite a go? Any good? I've been thinking about replaying System Shock 2 for a while and would like to slap a couple of mods onto it, though the MODDB page isn't clear as to whether the additions here can be played with the original or if it's only for the new campaign.