Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:siren:MAYDAY SEND CASHEWS AND RED BULL:siren:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

Why am I not surprised at all that he's an energy drink guy.

How are the snacks going to get to them? Is UPS going to deliver to the revolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lycus posted:

How are the snacks going to get to them? Is UPS going to deliver to the revolution?

These guys literally imagine themselves as the rebels from Red Dawn; it's not a stretch to believe they think someone will boost a helicopter and airdrop supplies for them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lycus posted:

As a True Patriot, you are already on your way because you heard the clarion call of the revolution, he's just letting you know what's on the shopping list before you get there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:siren:MAYDAY SEND CASHEWS AND RED BULL:siren:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

Why am I not surprised at all that he's an energy drink guy.

lmao this is the same shithead who made that goodbye video to his family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGdMKpHDDE

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Okay fine we ignore them and than a few weeks later some one that was there goes and shoots up another Walmart cause everyone was all talk ,than a few months later they go and occupy another federal building or start a standoff over bullshit. Ignoring them and letting them fester is going to blow the gently caress up in our faces

Or we can send officers in to arrest or disperse them, and maybe someone gets shot in the confusion. A few weeks later, someone goes and shoots up another Walmart, inspired by the heroes/martyrs of this occupation. Then a few months later an even larger and more unstable occupation happens somewhere else, the fires of the movement having been stoked by the violence. In other words, pretty much the same consequences as leaving it be, only with more violence, more hurt people, and a more heated atmosphere that makes further violence even more likely.

Besides, the federal government always wins in the end. Bundy hasn't faced criminal charges, but he's still got an ongoing court case, and it's a lot harder to use an armed posse to stop a multi-million dollar fine than it is to stop a cattle roundup.

Lycus posted:

There's no blockade up, they can enter and leave freely right now. They're just hoping people will buy them stuff so they don't have to spend their own money on it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

if we intervened it'd be iraq all over again imo.

-Radical terrorists
-Use lots of pick up trucks
-Poorly trained
-Hatred of the government

sure sounds like it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Salt Fish posted:

You shouldn't care about this remote building that probably nobody uses and there is no point is exerting control for the sake of it. Your argument is basically "rules are rules" but actually its better to engage your brain about whats best instead of blindly insisting on upholding some stupid law and getting a bunch of people killed.

This describes pretty much every non-major wildlife refuge, national park, national grassland, national forest, state park, etc. in the country. Should we cede all of this land to insane militiamen to be destroyed because "welp, it's in the middle of nowhere!"

You may not, but people actually use and enjoy this land.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give the BLM all the A-10's the air force wants to get rid of they are great for blowing up morons in technicals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

This describes pretty much every non-major wildlife refuge, national park, national grassland, national forest, state park, etc. in the country. Should we cede all of this land to insane militiamen to be destroyed because "welp, it's in the middle of nowhere!"

Thankfully, there aren't enough of them to do so by any stretch of the imagination, these guys are the fringe of the fringe.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

These idiots WANT the hammer to come down. They want to be Martyrs.

The sadists wishing for them to get destroyed by the FBI don't seem to get this, though.

Not that they shouldn't face charges later, but there shouldn't be an unnecessary bloodshed. I don't know why so many are angry about this, I guess they really want to see violence here.

The victim wins. Don't victimize them then.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 4, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Al! posted:

Thankfully, there aren't enough of them to do so by any stretch of the imagination, these guys are the fringe of the fringe.

The point is that it is a horrible precedent to set, and legitimizes their efforts to take over public recreational and reserve land for the benefit of wealthy landowners and resource extraction companies. Maybe they can be waited out, but they have specifically stated they have no intention of leaving in the long-term.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I want someone to make an announcement that that particular facility is now open to all public use, including its use as a camp site. So what they are doing is now fully supported by the Federal Government, which hopes that they have an enjoyable camping trip.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It is pretty amazing that these guys are making glorious armed resistance out of "handing over wilderness to large companies to destroy," with, at best, they themselves being a middleman in the operation. Or do they have some deranged idea that they'll magically become wealthy agriculturalists on an Oregon bird preserve?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

A better question is "how many federal agents should lay down their lives to evict these people from this land by force, as opposed for waiting for them to run out of vacation days and go home so that the land can be seized back without any harm to federal employees"? An armed standoff should always be a last resort, not the first one.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

lmao this is the same shithead who made that goodbye video to his family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGdMKpHDDE

remind me again why this loving country holds the marines up as some paragons of value when they are just the army but useless.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

ansel autisms posted:

As a user of the building they're occupying (seriously) I understand why there's not a huge federal reaction to this. It's in the middle of loving nowhere.

Looks like its 10 miles past the middle of loving nowhere actually... https://goo.gl/maps/VejFBygpQzr There shouldn't be a reaction to this, just the loving gas to get there is going to cost the taxpayers a shitload. The closest "homes" I can are to the east and I am not sure they are homes of its just single wides that some left in some junkyards with a lot of broken down cars and other poo poo.

Let them freeze and get bored...

Ziptar fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 4, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

remind me again why this loving country holds the marines up as some paragons of value when they are just the army but useless.

They go to bootcamp for like a few weeks longer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Aww, the media is being so mean to these guys. They just want to be treated as well as #BLM protesters. :qq:

quote:

In the parking lot of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge -- which the militants stormed and took over on Saturday in the name of grazing privileges -- a man who claimed to be a body guard for the group's leaders said they are facing worse resistance than Black Lives Matter, a nationwide campaign to end police brutality against people of color.

"The Black Lives Matter movement, they can go and protest, close freeways down and all that stuff, and they don't get any backlash, not on the level that we're getting," said the man, who identified himself as "Fluffy Unicorn."

While acknowledging that police have used force against Black Lives Matter protesters, he also said "their level of protesting is different; we're not obstructing schools."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

A better question is "how many federal agents should lay down their lives to evict these people from this land by force, as opposed for waiting for them to run out of vacation days and go home so that the land can be seized back without any harm to federal employees"? An armed standoff should always be a last resort, not the first one.

This is an armed group that took over a federal building who, according to the county sheriff, are attempting to start a revolution that spreads across the country. It is an armed standoff, the US just evidently hasn't gotten the memo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Main Paineframe posted:

An armed standoff should always be a last resort, not the first one.

Sure, if you're a sissy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

my grandpa calls them stowaways

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ziptar posted:

Looks like its 10 miles past the middle of loving nowhere actually... https://goo.gl/maps/VejFBygpQzr Their shouldn't be a reaction to this, just the loving gas to get there is going to cost the taxpayers a shitload. The closest "homes" I can are to the east and I am not sure they are homes of its just single wides that some left in some junkyards with a lot of broken down cars and other poo poo.

Let them freeze and get bored...

The only thing out there beyond the wildlife refuge is service centers along highways with minimal supplies (gas, candy bars, burgers if you're lucky) and ranchers. Almost every single person in Harney County either lives on a ranch or within the Burns/Hines city limits.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lotka Volterra posted:

The point is that it is a horrible precedent to set, and legitimizes their efforts to take over public recreational and reserve land for the benefit of wealthy landowners and resource extraction companies. Maybe they can be waited out, but they have specifically stated they have no intention of leaving in the long-term.

I think ignoring them until this leaves the news cycle will work fine, it's gotta get pretty boring there

Does the building they're occupying have electricity?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

What if they stay "for years" as they plan? When should they be evicted and how many federal agents should lay down their lives to do it?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

Yes, and likely internet access

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Main Paineframe posted:

Essentially the question the other poster asked. How long do we let them stay before it is taken seriously?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Not that internet access would matter to Patriots, anyways.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

ansel autisms posted:

The only thing out there beyond the wildlife refuge is service centers along highways with minimal supplies (gas, candy bars, burgers if you're lucky) and ranchers. Almost every single person in Harney County either lives on a ranch or within the Burns/Hines city limits.

I lived in Portland in the early 90's, made a trip out to Burns a couple times for work. That whole eastern half of the state is a whole lot of nothing, gets that way before Bend even. Can't say the people I met were very bright either.

SquadronROE posted:

I want someone to make an announcement that that particular facility is now open to all public use, including its use as a camp site. So what they are doing is now fully supported by the Federal Government, which hopes that they have an enjoyable camping trip.

Exactly this!!! "Stay as long as you like enjoy the great outdoors and our public lands, just pick up after yourselves please, mmmkay."

Ziptar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Flavahbeast posted:

I think ignoring them until this leaves the news cycle will work fine, it's gotta get pretty boring there

Afaik, yes. The hope is that they'll just get bored and leave, but assuming that doesn't happen the "ignore them" strategy is going to fall flat on its face.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Not that internet access would matter to Patriots, anyways.

Well, if they want it they will have to pay the bill won't they.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Interested European watching this:

Can you point me to some good reading about how militias in the US work ?

How does their leadership function in this situation ? Does the head honcho with the biggest gun become leader ? I don't see how 150 heavily armed radicals squatting in some log hut in the forest can go wrong.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's plenty of educated, smart, and wonderful people living in and coming from eastern Oregon. Hard to lump them in with these out-of-state sovereign citizen morons.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Aww, the media is being so mean to these guys. They just want to be treated as well as #BLM protesters. :qq:

":qq: everybody's mocking us! My alias? Fluffy Unicorn!"

":qq: we're being treated way worse than those uppity BLM protesters! No, I don't know what tear gas smells like, why do you ask?"

":qq: at least we aren't shutting down schools! Oh, the nearby Burns school district closed for the week? Must be a coincidence!"

Alter Ego posted:

It's interesting that these guys have found the time to abandon their 9-5 jobs that are supposed to provide for their families to go sit in an abandoned building and fondle their guns, and yet black people are the lazy moochers who want handouts.

We should send them each a five pound bag of sugar free gummi bears to get them through this unjust siege.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

"We've noticed you're having problems lighting a fire, so we are providing pamphlets on hypothermia!"

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Leaving them alone until they disperse is cool and good, but only if arrests are made and fines awarded to the appropriate people after the media stops paying attention. In other words, don't repeat the Bundy Ranch version 1.0 strategy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how a republican president would react to a left wing armed occupation like this.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hammerstein posted:

How does their leadership function in this situation ? Does the head honcho with the biggest gun become leader ? I don't see how 150 heavily armed radicals squatting in some log hut in the forest can go wrong.

Here's all you need to know about the militia movement in the U.S.:

"There's a Democrat in the White House? TO ARMS!!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I wonder how a republican president would react to a left wing armed occupation like this.

This used to happen from time to time in the 60s, they would shoot everyone involved and burn the place down.

I'm glad that it seems like cooler heads are prevailing in this case, it's just a loving shame that you only get sane treatment if your skin is white.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair regarding Occupy - if these guys inspired other groups to start taking over random buildings in Federal parks we might see a national response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Hammerstein posted:

Probably closer to 15-20 than 150. Hard to describe them as having a leader, there's hundreds of loosely affiliated militia groups around the US with a handful of people in them that don't do really do anything.

The SPLC has published some stuff on the movement, which makes for a good starting place.

https://www.splcenter.org/20090801/second-wave-return-militias

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/antigovernment

• Locked thread