Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was there a way to redeem Alex or was his quest meant to end with me smearing him all over Cauldros? Eliza's question before I set off to kill him made me feel like there could be a different outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I think there's been a grand total of two side quests where I didn't get someone killed through sheer incompetence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cartoon duck posted:

I think there's been a grand total of two side quests where I didn't get someone killed through sheer incompetence.

Apparently because of a dialogue choice in an earlier sidequest Cavern Clan couldn't help Tree Clan defend the East Gate from indigens and a bunch of Tree Clan warriors died as a result. Not to mention the 10,000-year animosity continuing :ohdear:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I totally screwed up the pizza serial killer mission and got basically everyone killed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

chumbler posted:

I totally screwed up the pizza serial killer mission and got basically everyone killed.

There's a happy ending to that one???

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I too have made mistakes. Like the Biahno Tragedy!

Some of this game's quests get dark after chapter 6.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alxprit posted:

There's a happy ending to that one???

I'm assuming there is, but maybe not. I guess they can't all have good endings like cat man chef.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

chumbler posted:

I'm assuming there is, but maybe not. I guess they can't all have good endings like cat man chef.

There is.

If you disarm the bomb, the guy dies of pizza poisoning and his corpse stays intact, as opposed to being strewn all over. Autopsy people then determine that he ate a poisoned pizza, which lets the Ma-Non know not to eat the poisoned pizza later and he plays dead long enough to record a confession out of the perpetrator.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The cool thing about letting NPCs die in XBX is they're so loving generic and boring that nobody cares. It's not ilike in XB where you essentially have a whole civilization pull a Syria via life pods, or have to rebuild a colony from scratch. Oh generic BLADE white guy with brown hair and splotchy facial hair got killed way far away, out of sight? Shame, guess we'll just catch him later and tell him how loving stupid he is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Louisgod posted:

The cool thing about letting NPCs die in XBX is they're so loving generic and boring that nobody cares. It's not ilike in XB where you essentially have a whole civilization pull a Syria via life pods, or have to rebuild a colony from scratch. Oh generic BLADE white guy with brown hair and splotchy facial hair got killed way far away, out of sight? Shame, guess we'll just catch him later and tell him how loving stupid he is.
Don't discount XCX yet, what everybody is referring to here is that there's a few slow burn side quest chains that will mercilessly kill NPCs you have come to know and recognize (and probably like more than half of your party) because you picked option 2 instead of option 1 in a dialog 3 quests and 30 hours ago.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

zedprime posted:

Don't discount XCX yet, what everybody is referring to here is that there's a few slow burn side quest chains that will mercilessly kill NPCs you have come to know and recognize (and probably like more than half of your party) because you picked option 2 instead of option 1 in a dialog 3 quests and 30 hours ago.

The game can kill anybody in my party and I'd be okay with it considering there are already way too many NPCs to manage. If there were four or five, sure okay please don't kill them, but Phog, HB, the drunk guy that hangs out in front of the burger joint, Gwin The Most Generic Man Ever - even Tatsu - they can all burn.

For my edification, what early decisions lead to future deaths? Despite not caring if they die, I'd like to keep them alive for completion sake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Louisgod posted:

The game can kill anybody in my party and I'd be okay with it considering there are already way too many NPCs to manage. If there were four or five, sure okay please don't kill them, but Phog, HB, the drunk guy that hangs out in front of the burger joint, Gwin The Most Generic Man Ever - even Tatsu - they can all burn.

For my edification, what early decisions lead to future deaths? Despite not caring if they die, I'd like to keep them alive for completion sake.
Everyone recruitable into your party doesn't do anything interesting ever although their affinity quests can provide some enjoyable distractions. I am referring to NLA citizens you may come to know and love during side quest chains, at which point I'm not sure there's a concise way of listing how all that poo poo works because there is some insane visual novel/choose your own adventure poo poo going on.

e. If you haven't been testing the water, side quests are seriously like a whole different better game than anything that goes on during the main quest or affinity quests.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Darth TNT posted:

Is there a downside letting them die?

That second bit sounds like important information that isn't relevant to me yet. I'm going to try and remember that.

9 times out of 10 letting them die is funny + productive. But rarely their stupidity will pull more mobs who have longer aggro tethers and will chase you longer.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Louisgod posted:

Tell me, how do you feel about pizza?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
"You can't continue saving all human life until you find this cat." - The Game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Characters are interesting and likable in inverse proportion to their screen time. Elma, Lin, and Tatsu are lame as hell. The other party members tend to be better although none of them say anything outside of their specific affinity missions. One-off side characters in miscellaneous quests are the best. There's a moustache twirling villain who seems fun in a campy way but he's shown up in two cutscenes my character was not present for, after 7 chapters and 50 some hours.

If I had somehow broken my disc and been unable to replace it 30 hours in this game would be fondly remembered by me but the deeper I get the more I dislike it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The only character I've found incredibly interesting is Professor B, mostly because of the mythos of the human race and nod to BTTF. I hope he comes back.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Louisgod posted:

Phog, HB, the drunk guy that hangs out in front of the burger joint ... they can all burn.

Hey, hey.

gently caress you.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Was there a way to redeem Alex or was his quest meant to end with me smearing him all over Cauldros? Eliza's question before I set off to kill him made me feel like there could be a different outcome

As far as I know Alex had to die. I've talked to a few other people about this one and I don't think there was any bringing him back alive

I think I've accidentally got the "bad" outcome on two or three missions. Namely I know I messed up Christopher and Dana, and the Tree clan quest where you're supposed to get the Cavern Clan to help somehow. I was pretty good about the rest of the missions, but it helped that explored NLA heavily early on.

I forgot there was a XCX thread on here, rip. I'm at 170 or so hours and about to wrap up my 100%. Just need to farm a bit to kill a certain Tyrant now and then I'll be done until I want to make a custom Skell.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chausson and Vandham show up a lot and are both pretty good, though I'm probably including the side missions in my memory of them.

Also you kind of have to mix up your party a lot to get some more personality out of them from after battle exchanges and their heart responses to things you say when talking to people.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

chumbler posted:

Chausson and Vandham show up a lot and are both pretty good, though I'm probably including the side missions in my memory of them.

Also you kind of have to mix up your party a lot to get some more personality out of them from after battle exchanges and their heart responses to things you say when talking to people.

L with anyone

Also I really liked Vandham honestly, and H.B.'s 2nd affinity mission made me like him even more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Characters are interesting and likable in inverse proportion to their screen time. Elma, Lin, and Tatsu are lame as hell. The other party members tend to be better although none of them say anything outside of their specific affinity missions. One-off side characters in miscellaneous quests are the best. There's a moustache twirling villain who seems fun in a campy way but he's shown up in two cutscenes my character was not present for, after 7 chapters and 50 some hours.

If I had somehow broken my disc and been unable to replace it 30 hours in this game would be fondly remembered by me but the deeper I get the more I dislike it.

How do you explain squid lady? She shows up twice and is super lame.

Despite destroying two pieces of the lifehold. It took me a while to realize she even died.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Samba De Amigo posted:

L with anyone

Also I really liked Vandham honestly, and H.B.'s 2nd affinity mission made me like him even more.

I forgot about L, and Vandam is cool based on his name reference alone, and the fact he actually looks different from everybody else. Okay, so there are like, three characters I kinda like so far. Everybody else can still burn.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Despite destroying two pieces of the lifehold. It took me a while to realize she even died.

Squid lady, squid lady... oh, you mean the evil lady dressed like a dominatrix? I think I got her mixed up with the other evil lady who was also dressed like a dominatrix. Or maybe that other entire race of evil shapeshifting dominatrices. Or the OTHER evil race where the women are also all dressed like dominatrices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Squid lady, squid lady... oh, you mean the evil lady dressed like a dominatrix? I think I got her mixed up with the other evil lady who was also dressed like a dominatrix. Or maybe that other entire race of evil shapeshifting dominatrices. Or the OTHER evil race where the women are also all dressed like dominatrices.

Hey now there are lady Nopons.

... that's all I got.

The Prone are the weirdest I think where the ladies are like 1/4th the size of the dudes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I forgot about Vandham, he is cool although he's not a party member so the rule is still mostly in effect.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Her introduction is a screen full of space-thong which makes up for it :colbert:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
When I first got my skell I was a little underwhelmed by the damage they were putting out because I was able to poop out over 100K+ alpha strike crits with shrapnel, but I learned to embrace the anime, and went around mowing down things 10 levels over me because I was tanky enough to not get one shotted.

Is there any reason to not be in skells all the time now that I have them?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

year199X posted:

When I first got my skell I was a little underwhelmed by the damage they were putting out because I was able to poop out over 100K+ alpha strike crits with shrapnel, but I learned to embrace the anime, and went around mowing down things 10 levels over me because I was tanky enough to not get one shotted.

Is there any reason to not be in skells all the time now that I have them?

You remember all those giant, high level indigens around, the ones that wouldn't bother you unless you attacked them? Well now they can see you.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
it seems pretty easy to avoid them for the most part, though.

I actually did get completely murdered by the level 70 something gigantasaurus walking around Primordia, but I chalked that up to him getting caught in the crossfire because I was in the middle of fighting that level 39 tyrant Grex that runs around, and he didn't get mad until he was right on top of us, which made me think someone used an AOE and hit him or something.

Edit: The battle song that plays in the Skell is :krad:. Lyrics are cheesy as gently caress but in a good way because I'm too busy shooting anime robot lasers.

year199X fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 4, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is there a specific level I should wait to be at before exploring Sylvalum further? I'm 32 with the most expensive skell, decked out with the most intergalactic weapons a stud like me can get thus far, but I still get wrecked regardless, relegating my travel to hugging the mountainside, hoping nothing sees me. It got to a point where a couple of the FrontierNav sites are guarded by enemies I can't kill.

I'm only on I think chapter 6 so maybe I should hold off for a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Is there a specific level I should wait to be at before exploring Sylvalum further? I'm 32 with the most expensive skell, decked out with the most intergalactic weapons a stud like me can get thus far, but I still get wrecked regardless, relegating my travel to hugging the mountainside, hoping nothing sees me. It got to a point where a couple of the FrontierNav sites are guarded by enemies I can't kill.

I'm only on I think chapter 6 so maybe I should hold off for a bit.

I was pretty reliably able to explore most of Sylvalum at level 30. just don't try to fight every enemy you come across and focus mostly on getting probe sites and stuff.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing about exploring with a skell is that even if you aggro something you can outrun it until it loses interest.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Unless it actually one shots your skell, which the gigantasaurus did to my level 30 Amdu for 20k :smith:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How do the Salvage tickets or whatever they're called work? You use them once your insurance points run out so you don't pay out of pocket? How much do you have to pay insurance to replace your skell each time it gets wrecked? I have something like four salvage tickets thanks to division rewards so I'm not too concerned.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I heard it's something like 3.5mil for the level 50 skells, so I would guess about 100k less than the cost of the frame of the level 30 skells. I also read that as long as you still have insurance on a skell frame, when the AI inevitably runs it into the ground, it won't eat an insurance charge.

vvv It's also only 20k or so to switch divisions, so you can switch to prospectors, get the ticket, and switch back to your original division, which is what I did :v:

year199X fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Louisgod posted:

How do the Salvage tickets or whatever they're called work? You use them once your insurance points run out so you don't pay out of pocket? How much do you have to pay insurance to replace your skell each time it gets wrecked? I have something like four salvage tickets thanks to division rewards so I'm not too concerned.

What I did is joining prospector (from the network terminal to join other people games), theres like a small rat race and the winner prize is one of these tickets.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tei posted:

What I did is joining prospector (from the network terminal to join other people games), theres like a small rat race and the winner prize is one of these tickets.

Yep, I did that too, seems every time you get to choose the ticket as your prize; all the other divisions are poo poo. I'm just not 100% sure how or when to use them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

Yep, I did that too, seems every time you get to choose the ticket as your prize; all the other divisions are poo poo. I'm just not 100% sure how or when to use them.

You use them when your skells run out of insurance. I'm not sure where to use them, but presumably you'll get the option when you go to pay for skell repairs after you have no more insurance.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've never changed my division (Reclaimers) and I have a bunch of Personal Patches and Frame Patches. I just try to treat my Skell with care and nail the free insurance button press. Maybe it'll change when I get past Chapter 12 and make level 60 Skells, but even if I'm scared I'd probably just save beforehand and reload if it blows up unsuccessfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChaosArgate posted:

You use them when your skells run out of insurance. I'm not sure where to use them, but presumably you'll get the option when you go to pay for skell repairs after you have no more insurance.

You go to the hanger like normal and your uninsured Skell will be greyed out. If you choose it, you get the choice to use a Salvage ticket, spend money to repair it (a little less than 200k for my level 30 light Skell) or outright abandon it.

• Locked thread