Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's very important to note that you can turn encounters off, which should be done when it first begins to happen unless you mean to grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D question: I just got Riki. Is he a good party member? What's a recommended party at this point?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Ptarmigans posted:

Thank you to all the goons that recommended Steamworld Heist, I've been having a lot of fun with it and likely would have skipped it entirely were it not for all the goon praise.

Ditto! Based on the descriptions and Metacritic reviews I wasn't really convinced but it got such high praise generally that I went for it and it's really fun and a great buy at only $25 :canada: .

I picked it up after I bought a New 3DS to replace my OG XL because....reasons, I guess. I've just bought the usual spate of accessories from Hori - screen protectors & clear case ( gotta show off the extra $30 I spent for Hyrule Edition ), and some USB -> 3DS cables.

What else is a must buy accessory? extended batteries? grips?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D question: I just got Riki. Is he a good party member? What's a recommended party at this point?

I can't remember if he's good when you first get him, but he'll eventually get moves that inflict damaging debuffs and can stack that racks up damage crazy fast.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't started yet, but why do you need to play four times? That's insane.

All the extra "insane playing the entire game 4 more times!" stuff took me like 3 hours, and I battled every single optional boss because the new banter was fantastic. You can turn off encounters and run through only the main dungeons to battle the big baddies very quickly, if you were so inclined. It is nowhere near as bad as most make it out to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Riki is an extremely strong party member. Gear him to take advantage of his ether abilities and debuffs and he will poo poo on enemies while also being able to heal in a pinch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Xenoblade, characters who can fulfill a variety of roles are better than those who are focused on one. Riki can slot into any team config and do a great job. Riki can buff, debuff, has strong ether attacks, strong physical attacks, a strong heal, the highest HP, he can raise the Gauge super easy, he's just great.

Try out Shulk/Dunban/Riki. That was my favorite party.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

1) yes, he is a very good party member; he's versatile enough to be basically anything you want him to be, with tons of HP and debuff/DoT/group attacks, and works well regardless of what party you put him in.

2) at this point, you should be experimenting with party formations a lot, since you just got two party members in your group with only one more permanent party member to recruit, and the battle system is at it's most fun when you're switching who you're playing as and who they're partnered with and figuring out the best matches for ending fights quickly or smoothly. This is also getting close to the point where you're getting level 3 and 4 gems, which are about the point gems start being worthwhile, so experiment with them too.

Just mix things up a bunch, the game is at it's most fun when you're trying new things out. Personally I loved wreaking poo poo up with Melia/Riki/Dunban, most fights didn't last more than five seconds. :black101:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Medabots Vita announced for 3DS! http://gematsu.com/2016/01/medabots-girls-mission-announced-3ds

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's- there's a Medabot at the bottom of the picture and everything else is waifus. Waifus everywhere. And the art is much better than the actual Medabots anime. This is all rather weird.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just drowning in waifus over here

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Are the waifus medabots?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't the main character a guy? Did that change?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Uh, this clearly says "Medarot"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fun fact: The publisher expects it to get a CERO C rating, the highest ever for the series. That's the equivalent of an ages 15+ rating. Lots of lewd handholding, then?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I only vaguely remember the old anime that aired in America and the GBA title, are these waifus common in the modern series

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I love medabots!... This looks like a dating sim... what the gently caress?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what on earth happened to medabots

the GBA game was bangin though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can love flourish on the robot battlefield?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Shwqa posted:

I love medabots!... This looks like a dating sim... what the gently caress?

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are no male MCs. It's subtitled Girls' Mission, after all. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Raserys posted:

I only vaguely remember the old anime that aired in America and the GBA title, are these waifus common in the modern series

Nope. The last couple games didn't sell all that well so they're taking a stab at the otaku market, I guess.

All those waifus are redesigns of female characters from across the series, apparently.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nope. The last couple games didn't sell all that well so they're taking a stab at the otaku market, I guess.

All those waifus are redesigns of female characters from across the series, apparently.

Redesigns of what

Which one is supposed to be Ikki or Koji

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ptarmigans posted:

Thank you to all the goons that recommended Steamworld Heist, I've been having a lot of fun with it and likely would have skipped it entirely were it not for all the goon praise.

Ditto. It's hitting the right spots for my love of both turn based games and rogue-likes. For not being a full AAA priced game I think it's got legs.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can love flourish on the robot battlefield?

Umm I think yes. Like I think that is level up system in that game.

quote:

You can increase the level of friendship between the girl and her buddy Medabot as you battle, which will strengthen the Medabot as that level rises.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 5, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Fun fact: The publisher expects it to get a CERO C rating, the highest ever for the series. That's the equivalent of an ages 15+ rating. Lots of lewd handholding, then?

Medabots rust in Hot Spring water, letalone seawater at the beach :ohdear:.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is there a better stylus (retractable?) for the new 3DS XL than the stock one? It feels a bit small..

I've seen those on eBay at 5 for 4$ straight from China but I bet they feel pretty cheap and also apparently some of them have a seam on the tip which tend to scratch your screen.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Medabots rust in Hot Spring water, letalone seawater at the beach :ohdear:.

Some medabots are built for the ocean. Duh...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Woohoo! Successfully downgraded to 9.2 on my O3DS @ 10.3U using Julian20's sysUpdater with MenuHax! Seriously, first time with no problems whatsoever. Worked like a charm, no softbricks, nothing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How the gently caress do you get a Mochismo on your party in Yokai Watch? I'm throwing them the stuff supposed to make them like you 'a lot' and it ain't happening. I just want to fuse.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Woohoo! Successfully downgraded to 9.2 on my O3DS @ 10.3U using Julian20's sysUpdater with MenuHax! Seriously, first time with no problems whatsoever. Worked like a charm, no softbricks, nothing.

I got my 3DS XL downgraded for whatever may come, but man there's like a million steps to actually do anything outside of the dragging and dropping homebrew/emulators. Just to laugh at a silly Pokemon hack I had to find the (illegal to host) tools, dump the game, decompile the game, swap out two model files(fortunately I found some pre-patched,) then recompile everything and leave a nearly 2GB file on my SD card.

Piracy is interesting though and apparently some of the things floating around are indistinguishable from a copy that may have been pre-installed in a bundle that never touched the eShop.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Justin_Brett posted:

How the gently caress do you get a Mochismo on your party in Yokai Watch? I'm throwing them the stuff supposed to make them like you 'a lot' and it ain't happening. I just want to fuse.

That one took me forever too. Just keep at it, I guess.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dehry posted:

I got my 3DS XL downgraded for whatever may come, but man there's like a million steps to actually do anything outside of the dragging and dropping homebrew/emulators. Just to laugh at a silly Pokemon hack I had to find the (illegal to host) tools, dump the game, decompile the game, swap out two model files(fortunately I found some pre-patched,) then recompile everything and leave a nearly 2GB file on my SD card.

Piracy is interesting though and apparently some of the things floating around are indistinguishable from a copy that may have been pre-installed in a bundle that never touched the eShop.

There's two types of CIAs, legit and nonlegit. Legit CIAs are the games that have come preinstalled in a bundle and can be installed on >9.2 systems (i.e. ones without CFW). Non-legit CIAs are basically for piracy. Installing the CFW is the biggest pain in the rear end, but once you get that done it's trivial to install .CIAs with FBI or BigBlueMenu

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've had an old 3DS XL on 4.5 for like two years now. Might gently caress around with my new XL too

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I am woefully unprepared for this 6 keystone side quest in chapter 4 of bravely default. If I go and do the whole earth temple and all that first, will this quest still be waiting for me to do right away after?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Jesus was the Pirate Master's Castle in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse some platforming hell, woe betide you if you don't have all 20 Cacklebats when you reach the big guy at the top though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LibbyM posted:

I am woefully unprepared for this 6 keystone side quest in chapter 4 of bravely default. If I go and do the whole earth temple and all that first, will this quest still be waiting for me to do right away after?

You can do that one all the way until the endgame, I'm pretty sure. I did it in chapter 5.
If you want some hints:
All the dragon attacks are physical, even the ones that look like they should be magic-based. So you can cheese them with P.Def stacking or by just going all-Ninja and using abilities that 100% dodge physical attacks.
IIRC at least one of the dragons is undead type, and you can instakill undead bosses by using Bravely Second then using an Elixir on them. That dragon in particular I think you can kill just by casting Raise on it.

There are also a bunch of standard game-breaking job / ability combos that you can use to breeze through the game with minimal trouble. If the BD thread is still around, you can learn them by poking around in there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 5, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

LibbyM posted:

It's actually kind of easy to cheese. The dragons' attacks are all physical, so you can avoid them by having everyone use Utsesemi. Also, after the dragon casts the elemental weakness on your party, you can just remove it.

You can do that sidequest after Chapter 4 though, if you want to leave it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LibbyM posted:

This was the part where I learned the wonders of abusing Stillness.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I started playing bravely default but it was too hard so I cheesed the towns and got myself loads of money using tricks and got good armour then it became too easy. I need to replay it properly without messing around with cheats, is there a good way of managing the difficulty curve and keeping it within reasonable limits? I got completely stuck on a boss and needed to do something, but ended up making the game completely trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Judge Tesla posted:

Jesus was the Pirate Master's Castle in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse some platforming hell, woe betide you if you don't have all 20 Cacklebats when you reach the big guy at the top though.

I just did that part last night. Once you run through there once you can just get up to each level with the cannon and hat when you come back, since it pops out a little platform on each level. I think you can actually cheese your way up there without going through there once if your timing is right. But yeah, that part was pretty brutal; I'm glad the spikes and bottomless pits just take a chunk of your health away instead of straight up killing you like in Megaman.