Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I do recall in a TDI thread someone mentioned you need to do like a rhythm game to get the best ending or something? That's about all I'm worried about.

I mean, the ""best"" ending is probably the one where you get when you do the least amount of work and content, so. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The White Dragon posted:

The endgame is really, really weird because it's based on your willingness to do superbosses. His moveset and HP scale to the superbosses you've beaten, certain quests you've done (read a guide), and a couple other optional factors. You can actually game him to be extremely weak and be so far behind the curve that the normal monsters in the final area will be more of a challenge. I did some of the superbosses and almost all of the quests, so he had a certain amount of power, but he was still way behind where I had to be to beat the enemies necessary to pump him up to that point.

If you're nuts, you do all the quests and fight all the superbosses and he becomes, hands down, the most powerful enemy in the game, and his moveset reaches traditional SaGa levels of "the only way to win is to sacrifice a goat of appropriate size and fertility to the RNG."

The PC port is fantastic about this, actually, and you can disable specific skills from the party menu. You can customize it to the point where your party members will use the attack you want them to because it's the only thing they can do.
Ah, not much fear then, because I have to be hugely super-into a game of most any sort before I go for optional content like superbosses. Last RPG was, again, Ys: Origins with Nightmare mode and whatever that claw guy's name was, tip of my goddamn tongue.

Think when I get home and away from the bastard work proxy I'll see what Grandia 2 looks like, then look at TLR and Oath in Felghana. Maybe Type-0. That should tide me over for a good long time. (Or, at least, long enough for Darkest Dungeon to fully release and consume me utterly. :v:)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

More recent Compile Heart/Idea Factory games are merely ok. They get a lot of poo poo because their games really did used to be absolutely horrible to play through and that reputation has stuck but they've improved from making garbage to making bland yet mostly okay games which rely on a specific type of humor which may or may not resonate with you. Like an anime version of Family Guy style of humor.

If you've run out of JRPGs to play then the Neptunia Rebirth games and Fairy Fencer F aren't necessary an awful way to spend your time if you're really craving JRPGs but I'd go through the better received JRPGs that you've yet to play first.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The mainline (and remake) Neptunia games besides the first one are downright good provided you like JRPGs, boobs, and anime girls who talk about boobs. Solid 7/10s all around.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I already bought Nier, it'll arrive here sometime this week I hope along with Lightning Returns.

I was just curious because I always heard such praise for Nier while Drakengard sounded awful. But I was like "if Nier is part of this guy's universe, maybe I should learn more about it." And from what I've learned, it's a lot more interesting and ambitious than I initially believed. I mean I'm not really to worried if the gameplay is boring as long as it isn't broken and unplayable. I pretty much always play games for the story. If a game's plot or characters are good enough to me, I can forgive lovely gameplay.

I do recall in a TDI thread someone mentioned you need to do like a rhythm game to get the best ending or something? That's about all I'm worried about.

Or I might just use a Code Breaker as suggested. I own one.

it's totally playable, worse dynasty warriors clones have been released since, recently even. if you want to get to all the endings (and you do) you'll need a guide for how to get all the weapons because they get pretty obscure, and the majority can be picked up on your first attempt at a stage when you know about them in advance. or you can just use your code breaker to unlock them i guess. but yeah you'll really want to use the code to make weapons upgrade to max level after one kill because the alternative is doing hours of grinding in the first or second map for any weapon you want to use. and of course the better weapons require more kills.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game.

So are DG and Nier all like FFXIII-2 in that "you absolutely need a guide if you want 100% completion"? That bugs me but I guess if I know to do it going in, it won't be so bad.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

NikkolasKing posted:

So are DG and Nier all like FFXIII-2 in that "you absolutely need a guide if you want 100% completion"? That bugs me but I guess if I know to do it going in, it won't be so bad.

Please do not get 100% completion in Nier, Nier does not want to be 100% completed, Nier will treat you with contempt and hatred if you try to 100% it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

More recent Compile Heart/Idea Factory games are merely ok. They get a lot of poo poo because their games really did used to be absolutely horrible to play through and that reputation has stuck but they've improved from making garbage to making bland yet mostly okay games which rely on a specific type of humor which may or may not resonate with you. Like an anime version of Family Guy style of humor.

If you've run out of JRPGs to play then the Neptunia Rebirth games and Fairy Fencer F aren't necessary an awful way to spend your time if you're really craving JRPGs but I'd go through the better received JRPGs that you've yet to play first.

I think a big part of it is people have come to expect a lot of semi-serious to serious stories and characters in JRPGs. Personally I like getting away from the whole grimdark thing every now and then, which is probably why Im enjoying FFF right now.

Also Im totaly going to get the PC version of The Last Remnant now that I know you can customize skills and poo poo. :dance:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Drakengard is a functioning game. It's a bit clunky, but the game functions.

With that being said, it is the most monotonous thing. One of the weapons, (I think you need to unlock every weapon to get one of the endings,) requires mashing attack on a stage for, like, twenty minutes. And to get every ending, you will be mashing attack for, like, twenty hours if not more.

Some levels are flying segments. They aren't really good either, but they are a little less monotonous.

The reason I keep warning you is because Drakengard is not a good game. But if you feel you can deal with this, than have at it. Amazon has used copies for, like, $5, so it's at least not expensive nor is it hard to get a hold of.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 5, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

You can get all of Nier's endings without 100%ing it. Do not try to 100% Nier, it makes it horrendously unfun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I couldn't handle any of the Drakengard games. 1 and 2 were just awful to play through and I could tolerate 3 whenever it didn't have the framerate drop into single digits, which happened far too frequently.

Nier's gameplay is okay but 100%ing it is a chore to troll those with OCD I'm pretty sure. Definitely play through it but don't be a completionist about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've played the recent IF/CH games. They're honestly not very good. They have absolutely awful stage design even by the low standards of modern JRPGs and their combat engines vary from serviceable-but-unexceptional (FFF) to basically ignorable and utterly trivial to break (Neptunia) to just plain lovely (Mugen Souls.) FFF is the best of the lot and is a perfectly serviceable JRPG but one of the bottom of the list to play unless you've run out. Nepunia has appeal if you like fanservice + video game jokes and really really never get tired of that very specific combination but not because of its gameplay. Everything else they've put out has either been terrible or dull or both.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can get all of Nier's endings without 100%ing it. Do not try to 100% Nier, it makes it horrendously unfun.

Listen to this advice.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The insane droning wall of noise Drakengard puts out in every stage somehow works really well with the monotony of the gameplay. The soundtrack is so amazing. The whole thing is such an experience. I'm really glad I played it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

omega quintet's combat is good, gently caress-o

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Drakengard is a functioning game. It's a bit clunky, but the game functions.

With that being it is the most monotonous thing. One of the weapons, (I think you need to unlock every weapon to get one of the endings,) requires mashing attack on a stage for, like, twenty minutes. And to get every ending, you will be mashing attack for, like, twenty hours if not more.

Some levels are flying segments. They aren't really good either, but they are a little less monotonous.

The reason I keep warning you is because Drakengard is not a good game. But if you feel you can deal with this, than have at it. Amazon has used copies for, like, $5, so it's at least not expensive nor is it hard to get a hold of.

Fair enough. I just want to give it a try. If it's no good, well, I'll deal.

How are Drakengard 2 and 3, though? I hear Taro didn't even really work on 2 so should I bother with it? Is it "in continuity?"

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll do that, then. I hate 100%'ing games anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

omega quintet's combat is good, gently caress-o

I did forget OQ which has a perfectly serviceable combat system, that's true. It's not something I'd play for it on its own merits alone but it's better than Neptunia and MS.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. I just want to give it a try. If it's no good, well, I'll deal.

How are Drakengard 2 and 3, though? I hear Taro didn't even really work on 2 so should I bother with it? Is it "in continuity?"

I'll do that, then. I hate 100%'ing games anyway.

Drankengard 2 is slightly better on a technical level than 1, especially on the combat front, but the plot is legitimately terrible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Drakengard 2 is completely ignorable on a canonical level. There's a few laughs that can be had about it, and a moment that made me tear up a little, but it's nothing you really need to go out of your way for.

3 is also better than 1 on a technical level, but it also is not good. Plus it can barely run.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cheetah7071 posted:

The mainline (and remake) Neptunia games besides the first one are downright good provided you like JRPGs, boobs, and anime girls who talk about boobs. Solid 7/10s all around.

From what I've played of Re;Birth1 I can probably agree with that, it won't go to my all-time favorites list but I've had a better time with it than I expected. I enjoy its particular branch of silly humour and I appreciate how snappy everything is, loading times practically don't exist and all animations can be skipped.

Not necessarily something I'd play in public though, it's definitely more of a guilty pleasure -sort of deal.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Do it. Get 100% on Nier. What could it hurt? What are you, a pussy? A real man would 100% it, you know.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man I really want to go back and play some PS2 RPGs but I don't really know which one(s). I've played the Suikodens, Wild Arms 3 & 5, Shadow Hearts 1 & 2, Persona 3 & 4, the FFs and the Kingdom Hearts (and probably some others I'm forgetting) but as a Sony fanboy I feel like I should go back and hit more of the stuff I missed during that generation.

I sort of want to try out Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne but SMT games are just soooooo long! I feel like I could play 2 or 3 other games in the time it would take me to get through that. I'm also wondering about Wild Arms 4. Or, like, anything cool/interesting/fun/unique that I might be overlooking. Maybe Tales of the Abyss, since I haven't played that yet? Or maybe I should play Tales of Destiny Director's Cut since that's one of the really high-rated ones in Japan? (Director's Cut is the PS2 remake with slightly upgraded graphics and an alternate storyline where you play as one of the other characters that apparently makes the game 10x better or something).

I played both of the Ar Tonelicos, but are any of the other Gust games from that era good?

I dunno, I'm kind of shotgunning here so I realize it might be hard to recommend anything but I'm really just looking for random RPGs from the PS2 you folks think I might find interesting. Or maybe talk me into something I've already mentioned.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Valkyrie Profile 2 is the best PS2 RPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon quest 8

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
eternal poison

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Was it a PS2 JRPG where one of your party members picked up random poo poo in the overworld to use as a weapon (jukebox, announcers table, etc..). You should play that one, I remember it being pretty good.

e: Serious recommendations include Devil Summoner 2, Persona 3 FES, and Dragon Quest 8.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Valkyrie Profile 2 is the best PS2 RPG.
Holy crap I forgot this existed thank you for reminding me that may just be the game I play first.

Endorph posted:

dragon quest 8
Oh yeah! I started playing it in Japanese but didn't get very far, and isn't the English version voiced? I definitely need to check it out.

alcharagia posted:

eternal poison
I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one so you might have to sell me on it.

Furnaceface posted:

Was it a PS2 JRPG where one of your party members picked up random poo poo in the overworld to use as a weapon (jukebox, announcers table, etc..). You should play that one, I remember it being pretty good.

e: Serious recommendations include Devil Summoner 2, Persona 3 FES, and Dragon Quest 8.
DQ8 is a good recommendation that I will probably pick up but I've already played FES and what is Devil Summoner 2?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Furnaceface posted:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant owns and Joachim owns most of all

Getsuya posted:

Oh yeah! I started playing it in Japanese but didn't get very far, and isn't the English version voiced? I definitely need to check it out.
DQ8 is one of those games where the English voice acting is straight up superior to the Japanese, it just has an incredible amount of personality (especially Trode :allears: ) and the voiceless iOS version just feels kind of soulless in comparison.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

you're thinking of shadow hearts 2, which he played

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Getsuya posted:

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one so you might have to sell me on it.

DQ8 is a good recommendation that I will probably pick up but I've already played FES and what is Devil Summoner 2?

first: devil summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon is a game where you're a 1920's demon-summoning detective who has to solve the mystery behind a mysterious country town and its legacy of assassins before poo poo goes bad

second: eternal poison is a good game if you turn the animations off because the loading times on them are awful but a lot of the characters are quite fun and it has a bromance between a dracula and papa nier, which is the best part of the game. also, it actively rewards killing the poo poo out of enemies way harder than you need to, which is good. fair warning though: you'll probably want a guide

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
also the art design is really good and you can sell pieces of equipment with extra skills slotted onto them to the market and it'll keep it and you can buy them back on alternate playthroughs

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
also there's this dude named alexei who you can recruit who has no plot relevance but his voice actor puts on a tf2 heavy accent and his catchphrase is I'M HUNGRY FOR ACTION and he laughs maniacally when he levels up

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Were the 2 Growlanser games for PS2 any good? And is Shadow Hearts 3 good?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Shadow Hearts 3 is okay.

Relatively it's a lot less grim and a lot more anime than the previous games, but it's still pretty enjoyable on its own terms.

It's also almost a completely standalone plot with only some character ties to the previous games.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Getsuya posted:

Were the 2 Growlanser games for PS2 any good? And is Shadow Hearts 3 good?

The Growlanser games are decent. Growlanser 2 can be really difficult though and they have a couple path splits that give you almost no room for error. Shadow Hearts 3 has outstanding gameplay but a terribly bland cast outside of the villains. It's worth it for the battle system though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Man I really want to go back and play some PS2 RPGs but I don't really know which one(s). I've played the Suikodens, Wild Arms 3 & 5, Shadow Hearts 1 & 2, Persona 3 & 4, the FFs and the Kingdom Hearts (and probably some others I'm forgetting) but as a Sony fanboy I feel like I should go back and hit more of the stuff I missed during that generation.

I sort of want to try out Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne but SMT games are just soooooo long! I feel like I could play 2 or 3 other games in the time it would take me to get through that. I'm also wondering about Wild Arms 4. Or, like, anything cool/interesting/fun/unique that I might be overlooking. Maybe Tales of the Abyss, since I haven't played that yet? Or maybe I should play Tales of Destiny Director's Cut since that's one of the really high-rated ones in Japan? (Director's Cut is the PS2 remake with slightly upgraded graphics and an alternate storyline where you play as one of the other characters that apparently makes the game 10x better or something).

I played both of the Ar Tonelicos, but are any of the other Gust games from that era good?

I dunno, I'm kind of shotgunning here so I realize it might be hard to recommend anything but I'm really just looking for random RPGs from the PS2 you folks think I might find interesting. Or maybe talk me into something I've already mentioned.
If you haven't played either of the Dark Clouds, I like those. They're town-building action rpgs with randomly generated dungeons.

I've never played Okage, but it's an early PS2 JRPG. It looks like it has a similar premise to Blue Dragon.

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are both solid SMT spin-offs, but they're a little similar to Nocturne, so...

If you're willing to stray far from the genre, I really like Yakuza 1 & 2. They were advertised as GTA-likes, but they play nothing like GTA. They are brawlers with RPG elements. You level up, equip items, and get into encounters. Granted, their RPG elements aren't particularly strong, nor do I feel like they're the draw of the games, but they're there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Getsuya posted:

Yeah. It also has better menus and the soundtrack is orchestrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJVYo2HpwLc

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Morpheus posted:

Do it. Get 100% on Nier. What could it hurt? What are you, a pussy? A real man would 100% it, you know.

As someone who has actually done this, for gently caress's sake do not do it. Fishing, gardening, and upgrading weapons will destroy your soul. Being a real man is overrated anyway.

Edit: but get all the endings because that's :krad:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dr. Eldarion posted:

As someone who has actually done this, for gently caress's sake do not do it. Fishing, gardening, and upgrading weapons will destroy your soul. Being a real man is overrated anyway.

Edit: but get all the endings because that's :krad:

Do not listen to them,they wish to pull you from the true path of 100%. They wish all the glory for themselves! No, they must be shown what true glory is. The glory found in that sweet, sweet completion.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Getsuya posted:

Gust was mostly making Atelier games and spinoffs in the PS2 era. I gather they lack a lot of the quality-of-life features from newer games so they might be a little challenging to get into. The Mana Khemia games are generally well-regarded, the Atelier Iris games lean more toward conventional JRPG gameplay than crafting/lifesim stuff and aren't really better off for it, and the rest never got English releases so I don't have much basis to form an opinion on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mana khemia has really good combat and music, and some of the more minor characters are funny.