Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

The first casting call for Episode 8 was for a new female character to pair up with Finn, so I guess in keeping with this, the new version of Lando will be a woman. I remember Tatiana Maslany auditioned for it.

Did they clarify that? The sheet I read was just a female lead role of any ethnicity so long as they could play 20-30yo.

I hope for Finn/Rey though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd feel bad for Poe. I think they're just destined to be really good buddies.

Yeah, its obvious that Finn is into rey, (probaly the first non stormtrooper human girl he has seen) Not sure who poe will be into, doesnt really matter, because he is cool as gently caress and is the new wedge. also. I am surprised how many "faced"(pilots whos faces they showed) pilots live. in new hope all of them cept wedge and luke die, and a ton of them die in ROTJ. only alien guy dies. girl pilot lives, younger looking wedge lives, stamp lives. i think asian and black guy live too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm kinda hoping we get more alien main characters. Even the old EU barely had any, except for maybe Quinlan Vos? And he looked exactly like a human anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm kinda hoping we get more alien main characters. Even the old EU barely had any, except for maybe Quinlan Vos? And he looked exactly like a human anyway.

There's the inscrutable Korunnai and Jaxxon the space rabbit tho.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Thizzzz one izzzzz forgetting Saba Sebatyne and the rezzzzzzt of the Barabelzzzzzz.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's the inscrutable Korunnai and Jaxxon the space rabbit tho.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Thizzzz one izzzzz forgetting Saba Sebatyne and the rezzzzzzt of the Barabelzzzzzz.

Yeah, but I mean MAIN characters, like people who get their own books or movies or whatever starring them from their POV. Actually, a standalone about Saba or Tesar could have been pretty cool if were written by anybody but Troy Denning.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, but I mean MAIN characters, like people who get their own books or movies or whatever starring them from their POV.

Troy Denning books qualify with Barabels. And did he do something from his pet Squib and Ewok character POVs? I blocked it out if so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Saba murders the Jedi Grand Master for not being more militant and everyone congratulates her for it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I will hand it to him that it was an interesting idea seeing Jedi fight to the death over a narrower political difference than light vs. dark side, but they totally botched the moment with a nonsensical lead-up.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also. I am surprised how many "faced"(pilots whos faces they showed) pilots live. in new hope all of them cept wedge and luke die, and a ton of them die in ROTJ. only alien guy dies. girl pilot lives, younger looking wedge lives, stamp lives. i think asian and black guy live too.

Not having a larger battle was incredibly disappointing. We had pilots with faces for just about every single ship that flew ffs. Having every a token face for every possible check box makes the scene feel small and contrived, not diverse.

Scale has never been a strong point for the series, but this was egregious.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I'm just glad we got Ginger Hitler.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, but I mean MAIN characters, like people who get their own books or movies or whatever starring them from their POV. Actually, a standalone about Saba or Tesar could have been pretty cool if were written by anybody but Troy Denning.
Hey, Voort got a book. :colbert:

Aside from him, hm. A bunch of nonhumans got comic miniseries or played major enough roles to get the spotlight in an ongoing series, especially various jedi during Star Wars: Republic. Ahsoka's obviously a main character in Clone Wars. Novel-wise, I got no idea.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, its obvious that Finn is into rey, (probaly the first non stormtrooper human girl he has seen) Not sure who poe will be into, doesnt really matter, because he is cool as gently caress and is the new wedge. also. I am surprised how many "faced"(pilots whos faces they showed) pilots live. in new hope all of them cept wedge and luke die, and a ton of them die in ROTJ. only alien guy dies. girl pilot lives, younger looking wedge lives, stamp lives. i think asian and black guy live too.

Does Temmin bite it or do I have to suffer through the other Aftermath books not knowing that he'll get what's coming in the end?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Keiya posted:

Does Temmin bite it or do I have to suffer through the other Aftermath books not knowing that he'll get what's coming in the end?

Several YouTube videos I've seen claim that Snap Wexley, one of the pilots in TFA in the final battle over Starkiller, is actually Temmin Wexley from the book. If that's truly the case (he's old enough in the movie so it lines up), then he must have survived and followed in his parents footsteps.

And from the little bit I've seen commented on it in this thread, I am guessing I'm not the only one who didn't particularly care for Aftermath?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I know Snap is tEmmin, but I wasn't sure if he died.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Keiya posted:

He makes it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Grunberg lives to Grunberg another day!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Keiya posted:

To add onto it, I forget if it's the actor or someone else, but I read someone claim that Poe, Snap, and all the other X-wing pilots are going to be in Episode 8 and 9 both, as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In the past we've talked about Lucas chopping up and combining different takes. Somebody went and captured one that's pretty blatant if you're looking for it.
https://fat.gfycat.com/EthicalCapitalAmmonite.webm

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Casimir Radon posted:

In the past we've talked about Lucas chopping up and combining different takes. Somebody went and captured one that's pretty blatant if you're looking for it.

Weird! Now I'm going to see this everywhere. It's the boxes around the ships all over again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to SuperShadow? There was a time when his trolling was notorious and prolific enough that Lucasfilm actually made an official announcement to clarify that they didn't know who he was, nor had they ever had any association with him. When did he pack it in?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

What ever happened to SuperShadow? There was a time when his trolling was notorious and prolific enough that Lucasfilm actually made an official announcement to clarify that they didn't know who he was, nor had they ever had any association with him. When did he pack it in?

It was definitely after the Disney buyout, since I remember visiting his site to see what "exclusives" he had about Episode 7.

I think I've mentioned this before here, but I find it really funny that the guy who runs Making Star Wars used to write for SuperShadow's old website in the pre-TPM era, when SuperShadow was still a legitimate rumor/spoiler-gatherer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

Again it's the light sources that kill the shot. This isn't a bad composition shot, if it weren't for the computer generated light source. It's too warm on Anakin and too cold on Palps and it gives away the compositing.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I've watched this a couple dozen times and I can't see anything :/ Can you point out the cut?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Megachile posted:

I've watched this a couple dozen times and I can't see anything :/ Can you point out the cut?

The light, supposedly from the same source and cast on both characters, appears different. It's warmer/redder on Anakin, and cooler/bluer on Palpatine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Watch Anakin's face and hair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

poo poo, I didn't even notice that. He's a goddamn Changeling.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Arcsquad12 posted:

Again it's the light sources that kill the shot. This isn't a bad composition shot, if it weren't for the computer generated light source. It's too warm on Anakin and too cold on Palps and it gives away the compositing.

There's no computer generated light source on the actors, though the background is probably CGI though. I'd agree that the lighting is poor, I actually dislike a lot of the lighting in Ep3 because of it's over reliance on small sources and hard light, these days that kind of lighting tends to not look very modern.

Looking over the footage on a color correct monitor, there isn't really much difference in the actual coloring of the actors asides for their natural differences in hair and skin tone. There is a ton of mangenta in the shot though, I'd have to check the actual DVD to see what that shot looked like.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, the lighting is one thing, but the way Anakin's face morphs from one shot to another in the middle of the segment is another.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember laughing at some of the first names he gave characters, but as I recall none of them were as bad as Sheev.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh, wow. That does seem pretty blatant now, but on the other hand I couldn't see it even when I was looking so I guess they pulled it off? I wonder how bad the original take could have been, though. . .

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Megachile posted:

Oh, wow. That does seem pretty blatant now, but on the other hand I couldn't see it even when I was looking so I guess they pulled it off? I wonder how bad the original take could have been, though. . .
I think the object lesson here is just do poo poo right the first time. That way actors are actually playing off each other, and it's even less expensive.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the object lesson here is just do poo poo right the first time. That way actors are actually playing off each other, and it's even less expensive.

That's easy to say, but so many things go wrong on set no matter how big the movie, and even more things come up as issues in editorial when you didn't notice it while shooting (originally planning to use totally different coverage, for example). Fincher does the same thing with a lot of his work, blending two different sides of the frame from different takes, to get the performances he wants. The fact that it took Star Wars fans, of all people, 10 years to even notice does make it seem like he pulled it off, for the most part.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the guy who voiced Watto even said he explicitly based his portrayal on Alec Guinness's role as Fagin in the 1948 Oliver Twist movie, which... why would you do that, let alone then admit it?

So, Anakin goes from being owned by Alec Guinness to being trained by Alec Guinness?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bhutan is getting its own children's parliament:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/01/bhutan-children-parliament-160106134410027.html

Can a Naboo-style children's oligarchy be far behind?

Yes, it can. The children's parliament will have no direct effect on Bhutanese government policy, it's just a civics education program.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think lots of countries do that. I myself know one guy involved in the UK youth parliament who could well be the next Caligula if given the chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Scott Eastwood is on the shortlist for Young Han Solo, along with the likes of Miles Teller and Dave Franco.

I'm gonna go with Scott.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking over the full 12 names, I don't really like any of them for Han Solo.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I know Disney needs to make their investment pay off, but did ANYONE really want to see a Young Han Solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

i81icu812 posted:

I know Disney needs to make their investment pay off, but did ANYONE really want to see a Young Han Solo?

You should go back in time to 1979 and stop the the book series from happening. It would be roughly as beneficial as whining about it on an internet comedy forum.