Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe he'll get better later.

I find myself thinking this about a lot things in this show that aren't so interesting as of now. "Maybe Mika and Orga's relationship will be tested or go somewhere interesting later", "maybe Fumitan will finally betray everyone later", "maybe notChar and notGarma won't be boring as all hell later", "maybe we'll get a villain that isn't unambiguously evil later" etc.

I don't hate this show or anything, but I find it to be much more of a mixed bag than others are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The episodes following the introduction of Naze were some of the best, but you expressed IBO isn't your type of show months ago.

The character interaction in those episodes are good. Naze is not and at best exists to facilitate some interesting character interaction.

I'm also not sure why you think IBO isn't my kind of show? Like the worst criticism I've had of it is that I think the villains are kinda crap so far and that Naze's a pretty lame character. Neither of which I think is a particularly unfair criticism. I'm not as positive as it as other people but I don't hate it at all.

I mean I'll flat-out say that, to date, I find Mika one of the better Gundam protagonists and absolutely the best iteration of the Tragic hosed Up Child Soldier archetype to date. He's a big part of why I enjoy the show because they're pretty dead-on about doing interesting things with him and having actual consequence to his actions. I also really enjoy the battles which work very hard to give actual weight and meaning to the violence and which have thus for not descended into meaningless battles just for a fight of the week. The show has a lot of extremely strong moments and there's stuff that I can't really judge because it's hard to tell where it will go. (Kudelia is a big shining example here.)

But Naze Turbine is a dumb character unless they do something interesting with him later that retroactively changes how I feel about him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Whats the deal with some of the blue uniforms some of the crew wore in 0079? I assumed it was some sort of Military Training/Academy deal like they were pretty much planned to be trained up and sent out to fight Zeon ASAP?

Or were they just more general Technical Crew kind of uniforms?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Whats the deal with some of the blue uniforms some of the crew wore in 0079? I assumed it was some sort of Military Training/Academy deal like they were pretty much planned to be trained up and sent out to fight Zeon ASAP?

Or were they just more general Technical Crew kind of uniforms?

I think it was just male crew = blue female crew = pink and officers = white but I may be misremembering.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It kind of bugs me weirdly, also don't forget Federation female officers wear the same gear as male ones.

UNIFORMS!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Imp, I wasn't saying that to you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Imp, I wasn't saying that to you

Then I misunderstood! Sorry!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Man, I didn't know this cartoon for kids was gonna have titties in it. Zeta Gundam is cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Titties? Oh, the shower scene with Lila?

After all the outright stupid names, I think she has the best name. Lila Mira Rira.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

It kind of bugs me weirdly, also don't forget Federation female officers wear the same gear as male ones.

UNIFORMS!

It was the late 70s.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Was I supposed to read this in Harry Ord's voice because I did

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

closeted republican posted:

It was the late 70s.

I want to know why. I want to know THE ORIGIN of it all.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I didn't think I'd feel bad for Jerid but goddamn

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

I didn't think I'd feel bad for Jerid but goddamn

Um....about that...

Forewarning, it's going to be an emotional rollercoasterr with Jerid.

I liked Lila though so I was sad to see her die. I think she had potential and should have stuck around longer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

The character interaction in those episodes are good. Naze is not and at best exists to facilitate some interesting character interaction.

I'm also not sure why you think IBO isn't my kind of show? Like the worst criticism I've had of it is that I think the villains are kinda crap so far and that Naze's a pretty lame character. Neither of which I think is a particularly unfair criticism. I'm not as positive as it as other people but I don't hate it at all.

I mean I'll flat-out say that, to date, I find Mika one of the better Gundam protagonists and absolutely the best iteration of the Tragic hosed Up Child Soldier archetype to date. He's a big part of why I enjoy the show because they're pretty dead-on about doing interesting things with him and having actual consequence to his actions. I also really enjoy the battles which work very hard to give actual weight and meaning to the violence and which have thus for not descended into meaningless battles just for a fight of the week. The show has a lot of extremely strong moments and there's stuff that I can't really judge because it's hard to tell where it will go. (Kudelia is a big shining example here.)

But Naze Turbine is a dumb character unless they do something interesting with him later that retroactively changes how I feel about him.

Yeah, except I didn't find Mika and his crew that good. They were alright, but not interesting enough to get me to watch through these episodes all about some nerd's creepy fantasy to have his perfect space harem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, except I didn't find Mika and his crew that good. They were alright, but not interesting enough to get me to watch through these episodes all about some nerd's creepy fantasy to have his perfect space harem.

The writer's Mari Okada. She might want a giant space harem of adoring women, but it's not something I'd immediately assume.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The writer's Mari Okada. She might want a giant space harem of adoring women, but it's not something I'd immediately assume.

I just put it down as one more (among probably a lot more) hosed-up unhealthy environment like the CGS child soldiers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Surely, there's more than one writer on the show?

It's just that it's so unrealistic and fantasy and it's a focus for some time and urgh. Why couldn't they just stay on Mars? The first few episodes were good but it quickly dropped to "meh" and I just can't get why. The space harem is just a good marker for the moment I dropped it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

ImpAtom posted:

Naze Turbine is honestly kind of a lovely character. He's basically dude Lacus Clyne.

They haven't shown him or talked about him enough to arrive to this conclusion. I think a lot of people are overreacting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Surely, there's more than one writer on the show?

It's just that it's so unrealistic and fantasy and it's a focus for some time and urgh. Why couldn't they just stay on Mars? The first few episodes were good but it quickly dropped to "meh" and I just can't get why. The space harem is just a good marker for the moment I dropped it.

Mari Okada is the only person they've given writing credits for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm working under the assumption that stuff is going to happen with Naze because I can't believe a show that realistic about the horrors of child soldiers would present them joining the yazuafia as an objectively good thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm working under the assumption that stuff is going to happen with Naze because I can't believe a show that realistic about the horrors of child soldiers would present them joining the yazuafia as an objectively good thing.

Yah it'd be weird if nothing bad ever results from their strangely generous deal. Even if it's just something like Tekkadan being asked to do something they don't want to do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Yah it'd be weird if nothing bad ever results from their strangely generous deal. Even if it's just something like Tekkadan being asked to do something they don't want to do.

Or the Turbines are on the level, but something highly unpleasant befalls them. There's a big 'live by the sword, die by the sword' thing going on in this show, and Naze and company represent the biggest example of how Orga's vision of Tekkadan as a successful mercenary company can work out. Given that they're loving child soldiers, and that even Orga's top enforcer is starting to fall apart from the stress of being such, I'm pretty sure that that's not the ideal end-goal the show is trying to present, so a key part of that will be making the Turbines' path less attractive.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Just started watching original Mobile Suit Gundam which is the only other Gundam other than Wing I've seen. I didn't realise Wing cribbed a heap wrt to Zechs. Even that whole reentry bit was redone

Uh that's all I really have to reflect on so far. I was expecting the animation to be really dodgy with how people talk about it but it's ok, some of the dub has people talk over each other though.

Oh oh and Zakkus look like early Aries and are rad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People aren't joking when they say the franchise keeps cribbing from itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

They haven't shown him or talked about him enough to arrive to this conclusion. I think a lot of people are overreacting.

He has multiple episodes dedicated to people talking about him in a 25 episode series. I'm not sure why you're saying that.

Darth Walrus posted:

Or the Turbines are on the level, but something highly unpleasant befalls them. There's a big 'live by the sword, die by the sword' thing going on in this show, and Naze and company represent the biggest example of how Orga's vision of Tekkadan as a successful mercenary company can work out. Given that they're loving child soldiers, and that even Orga's top enforcer is starting to fall apart from the stress of being such, I'm pretty sure that that's not the ideal end-goal the show is trying to present, so a key part of that will be making the Turbines' path less attractive.

This is basically what i expect honestly, which will give them a solid plot purpose but not really make Naze feel less crappy as a character, at least to me. They could execute it well of course which would change my mind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 5, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

People aren't joking when they say the franchise keeps cribbing from itself.

Gundam is a story that repeats.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
In every day, in every age, the deeds of Gundam remain the same.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Maybe I am. I'm just looking for a reason why I'm not liking the show when I was looking forward to it and it seemed to start good. Kinda bummed out about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He has multiple episodes dedicated to people talking about him in a 25 episode series. I'm not sure why you're saying that.

This is basically what i expect honestly, which will give them a solid plot purpose but not really make Naze feel less crappy as a character, at least to me. They could execute it well of course which would change my mind.

If everything does go horribly wrong, I can very easily see Naze guilting out about having his family fight and die for him, which would make a solid tipping-point for where Orga wants to take Tekkadan given how much he looks up to the guy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I know it isn't the same word, but every time somebody says Odelo's name in Victory Gundam I just think rhyming Becktionary for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Just started watching original Mobile Suit Gundam which is the only other Gundam other than Wing I've seen. I didn't realise Wing cribbed a heap wrt to Zechs. Even that whole reentry bit was redone

Zechs goes through a similar arc as Char did except Char took two shows and a movie to get there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm really really enjoying Amuro being so tired he launched into a cliff

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So I'm not real invested in the Gundam stuff but I watched the first episode of Thunderbolt and found it to be fantastic. What other shows are closest to that atmosphere?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Why is the Zanscare BESPA officer lady dressed up like Charlie Chaplin?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

So I'm not real invested in the Gundam stuff but I watched the first episode of Thunderbolt and found it to be fantastic. What other shows are closest to that atmosphere?

08th MS Team has a similar gritty wartime aesthetic, plus the same sort of OVA production values. Iron-Blooded Orphans is much more traditionally shonen anime, and also much lighter on fight scenes but has a similarly unnerving protagonist, a similarly dark, uncompromising tone, and similarly brutal, horror-themed action choreography (though it's on a TV budget, without that lovingly-crafted OVA glitz). Outside Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Armoured Trooper VOTOMS may also scratch Thunderbolt's itch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why is the Zanscare BESPA officer lady dressed up like Charlie Chaplin?

it's the perfect disguise...and she looks good in it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chaplin is far too optimistic for Tomino to reference. I straight up don't believe this happened in Victory Gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

08th MS Team has a similar gritty wartime aesthetic, plus the same sort of OVA production values. Iron-Blooded Orphans is much more traditionally shonen anime, and also much lighter on fight scenes but has a similarly unnerving protagonist, a similarly dark, uncompromising tone, and similarly brutal, horror-themed action choreography (though it's on a TV budget, without that lovingly-crafted OVA glitz). Outside Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Armoured Trooper VOTOMS may also scratch Thunderbolt's itch.

VOTOMS, aside from being a pretty good show, is also pretty funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwUlEoQqT8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Chaplin is far too optimistic for Tomino to reference. I straight up don't believe this happened in Victory Gundam.

i think it's a cool outfit for her, regardless of it being a reference or not