Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Holy crap reality smasher is good. All the friggin value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I like all three of these.

Also Chandra's Oath wording is weird. End step trigger, that looks back to see if a 'walker entered this turn. Why not just a plain ol' trigger?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The rare slot sure does have some great stuff that I will inevitably get every time I open a pack.

That's hella goofy and I love that they do this, but I wonder if repeatable 1U: Scry 1 is actually playable. I wish it didn't cost 2U to cast the thing in the first place. 3UU to get your first Scry 1 is a bit steep. That's like a whole turn in limited, and this doesn't even block like Scryfish.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Why would that artist literally copy and paste the Titans so flagrantly? At least slightly redraw them from the new angle.

Also if they beat Ulamog and Kozilek by setting them on fire that is definitely the stupidest possible resolution to this storyline. Clearly the way to defeat Phyrexia is to set their glistening oil on fire.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

These are all cool, even tho Bonds does very little in limited, I guess that's more an EDH effect

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All it takes is a hand of lotus mana crypt mox mox this laboratory maniac pact of negation and you get the turn 1 win every time. If you have an ancestral and draw perfect it's a little better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Reality Smasher seems really sweet and jfc I just now realized that's going into Modern.

Is there actually any good way to deal with that on turn 3?

Fall of the Titans seems really close to playable in Tron, play an egg then crack the egg for your red and kill two things/fireball someone to the dome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Reality Smasher could be constructed playable. 5 mana 5/5 trample haste that can't be killed without card disadvantage? Sign me up.

What's with all these weird ETB enchantments 2 years after Theros?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Reality Smasher could be constructed playable. 5 mana 5/5 trample haste that can't be killed without card disadvantage? Sign me up.

I think it's the best card for constructed they have revealed for this set so far.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reality Smasher seems really sweet and jfc I just now realized that's going into Modern.

Path it as a 1-for-3 and hate yourself for having to do it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Smasher is playable in that Eldrazi deck and it's probably going to be a big loving headache to deal with.

E: I'm excited though, it's a cool design and it'll make a sweet addition to that deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Also if they beat Ulamog and Kozilek by setting them on fire that is definitely the stupidest possible resolution to this storyline. Clearly the way to defeat Phyrexia is to set their glistening oil on fire.

it's hella stupid but I still love it

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Hedron Alignment is officially the first rare I'll be getting in OOB draft. >_> As long as I don't get Drana's Chosen, I think it might just be the worst card in the set.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Coming Spring 2018: Cool non-basics.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I feel like this is really, really good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Smasher is playable in that Eldrazi deck and it's probably going to be a big loving headache to deal with.

E: I'm excited though, it's a cool design and it'll make a sweet addition to that deck.

It's playable in anything that can cast it, seriously.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Reality Smasher is easily constructed playable if people are willing to start using Painlands over the typed duals

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The rare slot sure does have some great stuff that I will inevitably get every time I open a pack.

I always hate when they print these cards, they are new player poison and a ton of kids are just going to loose 1000 games and have zero fun trying to make this garbage work.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Logicblade posted:

Hedron Alignment is officially the first rare I'll be getting in OOB draft. >_> As long as I don't get Drana's Chosen, I think it might just be the worst card in the set.

There are a whole bunch of completely unplayable limited rares in this set heh.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

For a second I thought that this was incredible in limited but now I'm not even sure if it is playable. It gets absolutely wrecked by bounce...

Anything that requires you to have a bunch of stuff in your graveyard to be functional is awful in limited.

It's one of those cards that you should never play but you'll lose to every now and then and get really upset about it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fall of the Titans seems really close to playable in Tron, play an egg then crack the egg for your red and kill two things/fireball someone to the dome.

Oh there's a lot of ways. It can just never beat a Wall of Frost or Kami of Old Stone.

little munchkin posted:

Anything that requires you to have a bunch of stuff in your graveyard to be functional is awful in limited.

It's one of those cards that you should never play but you'll lose to every now and then and get really upset about it.

I see you just missed Innistrad entirely then.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Reality Smasher is exactly the value engine we all need (to have 4 of in every deck).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

little munchkin posted:

Look at this man that never played with Spider Spawning or Burning Vengeance.

Or at all in Innistrad block limited apparently.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Rares are supposed to have the most limited unplayables in a small set. The saturation of good rares was one of the problems with Fate Reforged.

If you put your unplayables at common you get dragon's maze :laffo:.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Why would that artist literally copy and paste the Titans so flagrantly? At least slightly redraw them from the new angle.

This is presumably meant to be the same battle from each of the superfriends's perspective. I'm assuming there will be a white and blue one from a slightly different angle too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

And before anyone says only blue and white can beat the haste eldrazi, Wall of Tanglecord is available in any deck and you can even use a Weatherseed Totem to activate its reach ability

edit: Although I agree that Wall of Frost is pretty overpowered

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Oh man, I love this thing. That's a fantastic alternate wincon. Honestly though, with the scry ability on it, I can see this sneaking it's way into some limited decks. Maybe I'm insane and that's way too slow, but repeated scry seems good, especially if you can represent things like that UG eldrazi with your mana.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I know she's supposed to be nominally Indian but I can't help but read the flavor text on Chandra's Oath in the voice of a tart Irish lady

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you misreading the card or am I? That trigger seems really good to me.
You get to Shock once, at the end of the turn, if you played at least one planeswalker. Not sure if that's what you thought it does or not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

You might be able to switch that deck to being all-out aggro after OGW. Something like Eldrazi Mimic into Eldrazi Obligator into Reality Smasher seems like a real beating.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I always hate when they print these cards, they are new player poison and a ton of kids are just going to loose 1000 games and have zero fun trying to make this garbage work.

I disagree, some people really love these cards. As long as they only print them once in a blue moon, I think it's fine.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Haha I misread this at first and for a moment thought it said 'or' instead of 'and'.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

suicidesteve posted:

This is presumably meant to be the same battle from each of the superfriends's perspective. I'm assuming there will be a white and blue one from a slightly different angle too.

I doubt it - in the art and flavor text, Bonds has Jace and Nissa, Fall has Gideon and Chandra. They might have similar cards to better represent Jace's and Gideon's contributions elsewhere, but I don't see them having even more cards depicting the exact same scene.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Will this card ever trigger ever?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This stupid thing wouldn't even be playable if you only had to do 3 of those 4 things....

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Nibble posted:

I doubt it - in the art and flavor text, Bonds has Jace and Nissa, Fall has Gideon and Chandra. They might have similar cards to better represent Jace's and Gideon's contributions elsewhere, but I don't see them having even more cards depicting the exact same scene.

I think you overestimate the art direction in this block

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This stupid thing wouldn't even be playable if you only had to do 3 of those 4 things....

I can do one in play, one in exile and one in graveyard easy with intuition!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lancelot posted:

You get to Shock once, at the end of the turn, if you played at least one planeswalker. Not sure if that's what you thought it does or not.

Not even Shock, you only get to hit opponents!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The stupidest thing about Hedron Alignment is they tried to protect it with hexproof but it still rolls to Dromoka's Command so your weird FNM brew will never work. The win should have been an activated ability with "reveal your hand" as the cost IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

Will this card ever trigger ever?

Not if you use a Time Vault to never take a turn again

• Locked thread